• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

Nemesis_

Chris V impressions.

I liked the locale - the
underwater lab
felt like a classic Resident Evil locale and the way that you
escape
especially so.

I did feel that this chapter felt the most blaoted - it was packed with two of those SURVIVE wave based moments and they were not only ridiculously hard (playing on Pro mode here) but they were also annoying. It doesn't help I completed them, went to open the door, and died and had to re-do them again multiple times.

I enjoyed the boss battle and the enemy itself was
somewhat well designed, although it's overall design gives me a bit of a Mass Effect 2 vibe. I also prey that they explain how this thing was created somehow, even in the files, and what the purpose was.

The "tunnel" segment was also quite cool, tense and action packed.

Without Dusk's advice (thank you, again, kind sir) I probably would've rage quit and had to restart - it seemed like a pretty dumb design choice to actually put so many ammo consuming scenarios in the game only to face you with a boss that also needs ammo. I guess that's why the "workaround" Dusk suggested is there, though. I think.

Regarding the outcome - I was surprised that
Piers is dead(?) and that he went to such an extreme and infected himself with the C-Virus. I am also pretty confused - wouldn't they want to have kept Piers body at least for some kind of observation so they could understand the virus? Or is Jake's blood going to be enough? The other issue I have is that the C-Virus as a mutagen is so sporadic, it seems to cause so many different outcomes in so many different people. Pier's lightning abilities reminded me of Morpheus from Dead Aim - I was waiting for Piers to become a woman tbh. Haha.

Also, I thought it was a bit shit of Piers to
do that to Chris considering how he saw what "Ada" and her attack in Edonia did to him psychologically.

Post-credits for Chris was pretty boring too. I guess it was meant to highlight how he had
changed as a person / soldier

Nemesis_

Get that shit in the spoilers thread.

I am not setting foot into the Spoiler thread until I finish the game - there's way too much story in the fourth campaign that I don't want to find out accidently.

I'm marking everything anyway.

Oooooh chapter 3 while playing as Sherry is nice! ♥ _ ♥

Yeah, I can't wait to play through as the second characters. There's a bit of variety there for sure.

News Bot

Banned
;____________________________________________________________________________________________________;

There are SO MANY logos for companies at the end of the credits. Did they all work on the game? *.*

You know that 600 people on the dev. team figure? Only about 150 are CAPCOM.

Varna

As long as this game is at least as good as RE5. Been playing it with a friend recently and the game is still a blast co-op. It's still a fantastic looking game too... very surprised by that. This is on the PC of course.

Is RE6 using the same engine? Hopefully when ever the PC version comes out it runs and looks as good as RE5.

Still have yet to play that fucking demo!

Gonna remedy that tomorrow afternoon/evening before driving to a bunch of Gamestops having midnight launches

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It just annoys me when people who haven't played this game see fit to judge it based on some pre-release media that's designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I don't really understand why people want the franchise to go back to what it was. The formula was getting stale and we saw that especially with RE Zero, which to my knowledge was the last game to feature the old style.

But whatever, I've had a shitload of fun with this game

it had nothing to do with the 'formula getting stale.' zero was just a godawful b-team effort whose utter nonsense and terrible design basically destroyed biohazard as we knew it. people accredit bio4 as the game that killed traditional 'survival horror,' but it was zero's sheer mediocrity that killed people's interest on the whole.

i have no doubt that 6 is a much, much better game than zero was, but i don't see anything wrong with designing a game around slow, methodical exploration and tension. things don't always have to escalate to the point where the constant struggle to supplant expectations destroys everything that people actually enjoyed about the original concept. there was still room for improvement and iteration without going completely off the rails.

just my two cents. i will play 6 eventually. i won't be getting it until i can find it used and cheap, but i just cringe at the notion that people believe that no one could possibly still enjoy the kind of experiences this series used to provide.

News Bot

Banned
it had nothing to do with the 'formula getting stale.' zero was just a godawful b-team effort whose utter nonsense and terrible design basically destroyed biohazard as we knew it. people accredit bio4 as the game that killed traditional 'survival horror,' but it was zero's sheer mediocrity that killed people's interest on the whole.

i have no doubt that 6 is a much, much better game than zero was, but i don't see anything wrong with designing a game around slow, methodical exploration and tension. things don't always have to escalate to the point where the constant struggle to supplant expectations destroys everything that people actually enjoyed about the original concept. there was still room for improvement and iteration without going completely off the rails.

just my two cents. i will play 6 eventually. i won't be getting it until i can find it used and cheap, but i just cringe at the notion that people believe that no one could possibly still enjoy the kind of experiences this series used to provide.

Don't tell anyone that Kamiya was one of the lead designers of Zero!

News Bot

Banned
Indeed. BH0 was definitely one of the weakest entries in the series, despite having quite a bit of potential. I can barely stomach playing it without boredom kicking my ass.

I was there from the beginning, my favorite franchise but there was definetly fatigue before 0 even came out. As fantastic as REmake was I didn't feel much for it cause it was too much of the same thing already. RE0 was the straw that broke the camels back but the formula was stale before then.

That said they didnt have to drastically change it like RE4 and they can still go back but that old school RE had its place and time.

Seik

Banned
Indeed. BH0 was definitely one of the weakest entries in the series, despite having quite a bit of potential. I can barely stomach playing it without boredom kicking my ass.

Same, I liked Zero, sure its not the best, but I can still enjoy playing through it. Some people talk like its a bad game, which is an opinion I do not agree with.

Spazznid

As long as this game is at least as good as RE5. Been playing it with a friend recently and the game is still a blast co-op. It's still a fantastic looking game too... very surprised by that. This is on the PC of course.

Is RE6 using the same engine? Hopefully when ever the PC version comes out it runs and looks as good as RE5.

Yes it is.
But IIRC it's much improved.

To this day I am floored at how great RE5 looks.
If there's one thing capcom knows how to do it's non-asian faces. And sound.
Watching the RE5 cutscenes is a blast for audio and video. Playing at 2660p and with 16xQCSAA makes the game just that much more beautiful.

I can only hope that's the case with 6, but I'm worried. They seem to have gone lower on the textures to make room for more effects and such. Resolution is fixed on PC, but if they don't add to the Texture resolution, as in release uncompressed or less compressed textures ala a "Ultra" setting, it may not live up to 5's.

The game really shines in it's cutscenes though and those seem great IQ-wise on ps3 so I still have much hope.

Lucent

Really? I liked RE0. The only thing I didn't like was having no magic teleportation boxes to store stuff in. Kept having to decide where to drop items and go back for them if you really wanted them. Other than than that, I thought it was good.

I wouldn't mind having the series go back to what it used to be, but I guess they'd have to do a total reboot or something to do that. Or make another series that could do stuff like that without a story where the viruses keep getting stronger and where gunfights are gonna happen.

What's with the laggy controls in the demo? I can never pull off simple things like reloading or quick turns because it feels like I have to hold the button far long than I'd ever think to. To quick turn I have to consciously hold the button down until I see something happen on screen; when I just tap it my character only turns around to face the camera like a moron. I'm constantly bringing up an empty gun to shoot because my character evidently didn't take the hint when I pressed Square. It gives the game a really dull, unresponsive feel.

big_z

10am is the embargo date for the reviews. Shit's gonna get crazy.

im looking forward to the reviews. sounded like a group of reviewers were stocking each others hate train for this game early on so it will be interesting to see if they became victims of the negativity.

Nemesis_

Wow, Leon V.

Still playing it but it's definitely the "true" end to the game.

All other endgames would feel just pale in comparison. Glad I played this one last.

MarkusRJR

What're the chances someone does a good Let's Play or does a collection of the cutscenes and posts them online? I just spent today watching all the cutscenes in RE5 (never played it due to the fan backlash) and I don't want to play RE6 after playing the demo. I'd rather just watch someone else play it and get the general plot and whatever impact it has.

I was watching a scene in Jake Chapter 3 between Jake and Sherry, and was finding myself really impressed by Jake's voice acting, when Jake's voice began to sound familiar. That's Troy Baker, isn't it? Guy who did Vincent in Catherine? If so, between that game and this one, he is a SUPERB voice actor.

Yeah, would be my favorite in this if it wasn't for Roger Craig Smith.

What're the chances someone does a good Let's Play or does a collection of the cutscenes and posts them online? I just spent today watching all the cutscenes in RE5 (never played it due to the fan backlash) and I don't want to play RE6 after playing the demo. I'd rather just watch someone else play it and get the general plot and whatever impact it has.

I'll probably be doing an LP of it if those CBS copyright shenanigans are cleared up.

8.8 though the review is almost entirely negative save for the summary near the end, and it's flanked by RE6 ads on both sides.
I didn't think the review sounded "almost entirely negative" at all. It sounded largely pretty fair and balanced to me and I came away with more positive impressions throughout, there were just some regular caveats. Really good review to watch, I thought. Though naturally it does come with some spoilers in terms of looks at bosses/enemies that you may not have seen prerelease footage.

I didn't think the review sounded "almost entirely negative" at all. It sounded largely pretty fair and balanced to me and I came away with more positive impressions throughout, there were just some regular caveats. Really good review to watch, I thought. Though naturally it does come with some spoilers in terms of looks at bosses/enemies that you may not have seen prerelease footage.
ya lol I was lucky enough to be doing a study guide while listening to this. Saw one or two enemies I didnt know about lol. But it is a pretty fair review, mentions the negative and positive.

Nemesis_

Just played a round in Agent Hunt. I must've been annoying because the guy whose game I invaded quit LOL.

I was basically put into Leon IV, the part where
the regenerator zombies try to hinder you while you find three keys

I was surprised at how well thought out this mode is. For example, while playing as my enemy you basically had three "forms" which you could almost switch between.

I'll spoiler these as they are essentially the moves of an enemy you find in Leon's campaign.

FORM 1 - Full Body
RT -> Grab
LT -> Throw Hand

THEN, if you lose your health, you split into two.

FORM 2 - LEGS
LT (Hold) -> Acid Secretion
LT -> Run
RT -> Kick
LB + RB -> Reform Body (when near)

FORM 3 - TORSO
LT -> Sweep Swipe

It's quite cool the way they've put so much effort into this seemingly intermediary mode. I am enjoying it too, though I am sure those who I invade are not. I wonder how many different creatures in the game that players can actually take control of?

CAVE343

I have the game and played a few chapters, but what is Agent Mode?

8.8 score is higher than I expected, looking out for the rest of the reviews.

There is no Move support as far as I know, it isn't in the menus and there's also no ribbon on the boxart

Nemesis_

Move support is definitely NOT in, though it's a bit weird considering RE5 re-release had it.

I guess Capcom didn't think it was necessary or worth implementing ;_;

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
8.8 though the review is almost entirely negative save for the summary near the end, and it's flanked by RE6 ads on both sides.

Also, those aren't ads. Game Trailers recently released a new feature where each game has a personalized background for its game page.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Nemesis_

I have the game and played a few chapters, but what is Agent Mode?

From the second post of the OT

In an all new online mode for the Resident Evil franchise, players get the chance to experience the action from the other side of the battle - joining the enemy side.
Players can take control of classic Zombies, the J'avo or other yet to be revealed C-Virus mutations to infiltrate active game sessions to attempt to eliminate human characters.

The campaign you wish to play Agent Hunt mode in must be completed before being able to play the mode. Similarly, players must agree to allow players to "invade" their games.
Those playing as Agent Hunters will be weaker, though players can respawn continuously throughout the session. Success means the player will be able to move to another game and hunt more human players.
Players who are eliminated by an Agent Hunter will continue playing as usual (a Game Over screen and continue option) while those who join as Agent Hunters but quit will not affect the host's game at all.

I'm surprised after finishing all three main campaigns, that the fourth campaign is, thus far, very intriguing. It's also amazing how these locales are all unique! So much content, I am surprised it isn't across two discs.

Kyon

Banned
Move support is definitely NOT in, though it's a bit weird considering RE5 re-release had it.

I guess Capcom didn't think it was necessary or worth implementing ;_;

Thanks sis <3333333333333

FlopCom betta make a Gold version for PS3 again ;____;

LOL at the first few chapters of Jake&#8217;s campaign obviously trying to be Uncharted 2 (and failing). Seeing the
tank
made it even more obvious.

Love the Ustanak fights and loved the chainsaw enemy &#8211; but other than that this campaign stays in bad territory for too long....a lot of stuff here is simply terrible. Definitely the weakest campaign!

RANDOM: The
dock with the water and fire effects
consistently looks gorgeous. Also, yay for finally unlocking my first figure!

gconsole

Huh?

This happened to me all the time. Potentially my greatest cause of death.

A caveat of Professional mode, perhaps?

I guess he meant for the part where Leon got push down to the running fan thing and Helena just stand there watching him die. That looks weird for me too lol.

The review comment and score doesnt get along. If I only listen to what GT said. It would be somewhere around 6-7.

SkylineRKR

The separate campaign setup of this game could probably make room for new DLC ones. They could add a Barry Burton campaign for example.

LOL at the first few chapters of Jake&#8217;s campaign obviously trying to be Uncharted 2 (and failing). Seeing the
tank
made it even more obvious.

Love the Ustanak fights and loved the chainsaw enemy &#8211; but other than that this campaign stays in bad territory for too long....a lot of stuff here is simply terrible. Definitely the weakest campaign!

RANDOM: The
dock with the water and fire effects
consistently looks gorgeous. Also, yay for finally unlocking my first figure!

To be honest, I enjoyed Jake's chapter 1 and 2 the most, and the last one is quite good. 3 and 4 were fucking terrible I thought. But his campaign has to be the weakest overall, yes.

Top Bottom