• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I think I actually really like this big, stupid game. It's just SO dumb. It's hard to be offended by it. I really admire the ambition and scale. I'm glad the team tried to find their own voice rather than taking the creatively bankrupt "RE4 but more" route of RE5.

RE7, should it be of this scale and fix some of the obvious problems people have with this game, has the potential to be incredible.

Carbonox

It's odd - the polarizing thoughts and opinions on the game just serve to heighten my hype for it. I found the demo so back and forth but it was fucking addicting (though Jake's demo sucked ass). Despite this being the BRAND NEW FUCKING MAINLINE RESIDENT EVIL OMGSHITTHEBED I am keeping my expectations for its actual quality in check for the first time ever where this series is concerned. Mad hype for RE4 = one of the greatest games ever luckily but RE5 = pile of wankery and devil piss. RE6 being so polarizing is kind of a good thing. It means I'm not going in to it with great expectations. Rather, I'm hyped for playing a new mainline RE (and because I know I'll have fun based on the demo) but I'm not setting myself up for disappointment by assuming that it will be God tier (who knows I may find it to be).

I like this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
About two hours before the review embargo lifts. As I have said since the beginning, I expect reviews to be all over the place. I expect a lot of people to come in here and use a few low scores to justify why the game 'sucks', while ignoring the good reviews and user impressions. I expect the same to happen for people to justify why it is 'good'. But it should be interesting.

All I can say is I hope people who are on the fence about the game read what has been said here, some really good input both good and bad. This topic is likely about to completely change as the game comes out tonight for many, reviews will be all over the place, and RE.NET should soon be available as well as friends should be picking this game up. To quote my first post in the topic.
It's a shame this is turning out to be the case, however. If it's that polarizing it really can't be a good thing for the series.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I just hope the reaction is as explosive as I originally thought. Quite a few people turned around since the demo's first impressions, so that may dampen the fun.

The game still has flaws and some negative qualities, even as someone who likes the game quite a bit I definitely see that and can understand why that would bother people. That said, I was quite surprised to see a lot of people who were seriously irf'ed about the game after the demo or after playing it for a bit and not liking it warm up to it while playing over time. This game has also really amazing and quirky qualities, and I can say there is quite a lot of evident love and originality in this game. I expected a much more even divide.

But that may still very well happen as the game doesn't belong to the majority of people yet. Also there is no doubting that Resident Evil 6 is going to be fighting an uphill battle with gamers, as it has quite a few flaws, is coming after Resident Evil 5 and Operation Raccoon City, and in a time when Capcom is commonly referred to as CRAPCOM. So I expect quite a lot of diversity to inject itself in this topic when the reviews start rolling as that will attract people to visit this topic and talk about them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's also worth noting that it would have been hard to have had lower expectations, so that's probably colouring my opinion.

Fabrik

Banned
About two hours before the review embargo lifts. As I have said since the beginning, I expect reviews to be all over the place. I expect a lot of people to come in here and use a few low scores to justify why the game 'sucks', while ignoring the good reviews and user impressions. I expect the same to happen for people to justify why it is 'good'. But it should be interesting.

All I can say is I hope people who are on the fence about the game read what has been said here, some really good input both good and bad. This topic is likely about to completely change as the game comes out tonight for many, reviews will be all over the place, and RE.NET should soon be available as well as friends should be picking this game up. To quote my first post in the topic.

I've chosen my camp lol! I made up my mind based on the demo. It's not a must-play for me anymore. I'll pick it later in the bargain bin. I'm a bit tired of the LT + RT type of controls. 50% of all games control the same!

Claymores

Banned
I expect the same as RE5, major gaming sites and magazines will give 8 and above so they don't lose there advertising deals, and none mainstream sites and gamers will generally be negative.

Sectus

I'll be surprised if there's many reviews out there which are super negative. I think back to RE5 and that game was really really really hated. Listen to any press podcast at the time and you'd hear at least 2-3 voices who said the game was complete crap. And that didn't stop the game from getting 86% review average.

I think most companies will be handing out the review to someone who's actually excited about the game and more likely to enjoy it. And even with how many people are hating on it, I'll be surprised if the average person would have a negative time with the game if they sit down and play it through with a friend.

I think the biggest question is if the game will live up to Capcom's sales expectations. I can't remember the exact number, but I think it was 7 or 8 million. Which is several more millions than what RE5 sold.

Hopefully it'll work out as I wouldn't mind Capcom continuing down this road. People asking for survival horror will still rant, but then again, RE series was never good at horror (maybe REmake being the sole exception) and it's been an action series for a long time now.

Sectus

I've chosen my camp lol! I made up my mind based on the demo. It's not a must-play for me anymore. I'll pick it later in the bargain bin. I'm a bit tired of the LT + RT type of controls. 50% of all games control the same!

You can choose the alternate control scheme which changes it from LT+RT to RT+X :p Won't actually change much, but it makes it feel sligthly more like RE4/RE5.

Riposte

I expect the same as RE5, major gaming sites and magazines will give 8 and above so they don't want to lose there advertising deals, and none mainstream sites and gamers will generally be negative.

You've been beating the same drum from the start. I just hope we get some fresh blood.

I'll be surprised if there's many reviews out there which are super negative. I think back to RE5 and that game was really really really hated. Listen to any press podcast at the time and you'd hear at least 2-3 voices who said the game was complete crap. And that didn't stop the game from getting 86% review average.

I think most companies will be handing out the review to someone who's actually excited about the game and more likely to enjoy it. And even with how many people are hating on it, I'll be surprised if the average person would have a negative time with the game if they sit down and play it through with a friend.

I think the biggest question is if the game will live up to Capcom's sales expectations. I can't remember the exact number, but I think it was 7 or 8 million. Which is several more millions than what RE5 sold.

Hopefully it'll work out as I wouldn't mind Capcom continuing down this road. People asking for survival horror will still rant, but then again, RE series was never good at horror (maybe REmake being the sole exception) and it's been an action series for a long time now.

RE5 sold 5.8 million without counting the Gold Edition, PC version etc. So it really only needs to be as successful as that game. Japan launch is looking likely to be 600k+ for PS3, which is a good start.

Fabrik

Banned
You can choose the alternate control scheme which changes it from LT+RT to RT+X :p Won't actually change much, but it makes it feel sligthly more like RE4/RE5.

This changes EVERYTHING! lol
Actually it might remind me of good old RE4 and make me pretend the game is great!
Thanks!

Dusk Golem

I've come to not care about reviews as much anymore, especially about hyped games, or the opposite, hated games. There are so many flaws with the review system you see if you pay attention for long enough, so many reviewers and sites gave RE5 praise but then when gamer reception comes in they turn around and act like they felt that way too.

I have much more respect for critics who, like gamers, form their own opinions and stick to it, no matter what the verdict. I actually had fun with RE5, it wasn't my particular favorite RE game or anything and I did think it was a step-down from RE4, but I did enjoy it as a co-op game.

I think reception will be mixed both because of how the game is structured, and when this game is coming out. I hate to type this but it's the truth, reviews are heavily swayed by the time they come out in. This game is coming out after RE5 and Operation Raccoon City, and when hating on Capcom is the 'popular' thing to do. I think all of these factors may equal more negative reviews mixed with the good.

But that's not to say I don't think this game doesn't deserve negative reviews. I actually think, based on preference and design, the game deserves reviews all over the place. I say this again as someone who loves RE6. It has flaws, and I can see why others may not enjoy it as much as I. But I think a lot of reviews may give scores out to the game for the wrong reasons. I may just be over-thinking this all.

What I can say is that the Single Player is much, MUCH better than RE5... But so is the co-op from what I played. I agree, the small bit of this game I played co-op was a blast. While this game has flaws, I guess I like it a lot more than Resident Evil 5 as I enjoy it both as a single player game and as a co-op game much more than I did RE5, even if I would say RE5 was a much more balanced game. This is a lot more original, though.

Dusk Golem

Also, for what it is worth, I think this game will sell like hotcakes. Pre-orders are really good from what I hear, and the RE brand has already proven time and time again to be a selling brand... Operation Raccoon City sold 2 million copies in about a month.

Almost every single one of my friends are getting it (there hasn't been a game like this for me since Brawl and RE5), I have seen a lot of advertising be put into this game. This is coming off the trails of the movie, which did really well too... And it has Chris AND Leon in it.

RE5 sold 5.8 million copies on PS3 and 360, so I can see this doing quite well as well.

Chris Chapter 3 was freaking amazing, wow.

As has been mentioned a few times. Chris's campaign really starts picking up during the town hall scene in Chapter 2 and continues to get better after that point.

Ken

Since you guys were talking about the best order to play through the missions to get the most out of the story, does the game automatically set you on that path or is it something I have to manually follow. Does the game just let you finish all of one character's campaign before moving on to a new character, or is it like Persona 4 Arena where it stops you in the middle of one character's story and forces you to go on a new character's story far enough until you can return the previous character.

Wow, all these positive hands on with this game makes me get all interested again in RE6.

Waiting for it to come out on the PC though, since that's where I do most of my gaming now.

Since you guys were talking about the best order to play through the missions to get the most out of the story, does the game automatically set you on that path or is it something I have to manually follow. Does the game just let you finish all of one character's campaign before moving on to a new character, or is it like Persona 4 Arena where it stops you in the middle of one character's story and forces you to go on a new character's story far enough until you can return the previous character.

1 character's story all the way through.

Dusk Golem

It's manual. They let you play the game in any order you want (after an initial prelude stage, which is essentially an interactive cutscene). Each campaign is split into five chapters, after you finish a chapter quit back to the menu and select the next campaign in the order, if you wish to follow it. You can tackle the three campaigns in any order, except
Ada's
which is unlocked after beating the other three campaigns.

dc89

For UK-GAF:

I was just in my local Sainsbury's and they had the game on sale. If you haven't got it pre-ordered and fancy getting it early it might be worth giving your local one a call.

Sectus

I've come to not care about reviews as much anymore, especially about hyped games, or the opposite, hated games. There are so many flaws with the review system you see if you pay attention for long enough, so many reviewers and sites gave RE5 praise but then when gamer reception comes in they turn around and act like they felt that way too.
I am curious about what the reviews will say, but yeah, I can't actually remember the last time I let a review decide whether to buy something or not. I just end up disagreeing with reviews too often.

cvxfreak

I think I actually really like this big, stupid game. It's just SO dumb. It's hard to be offended by it. I really admire the ambition and scale. I'm glad the team tried to find their own voice rather than taking the creatively bankrupt "RE4 but more" route of RE5.

RE7, should it be of this scale and fix some of the obvious problems people have with this game, has the potential to be incredible.

So copying Dead Space, CoD and Gears instead of RE4 qualifies as having your own voice? Not trying to mock you here, but I'm curious for more insight into this opinion.

Dusk Golem

So copying Dead Space, CoD and Gears instead of RE4 qualifies as having your own voice? Not trying to mock you here, but I'm curious for more insight into this opinion.

It takes a lot of inspiration from a lot of things (you forgot to mention Mirror's Edge, Metal Gear Solid, Vanquish, and Ace Combat), but it's kind of like Deadly Premonition... It's like a lot of things but there is nothing else quite like it.

Sectus

I'm not Rez, but I can say that one thing which easily makes this game unique is the combat system. They did definitely mainstream the controls but they successfully made it feel extremely unique with the new melee system, the addition of quickshots, and most importantly the dodge system.

Trigger

How does it copy those games? I'm curious since I've only been mildly following the game so far.

I don't think it copies COD and Gears. It copies Dead Space by uhm... being able to move and shoot I guess? And people fucking begged for that.

Dusk Golem

How does it copy those games? I'm curious since I've only been mildly following the game so far.

To be blunt, this game has variety up the butt. A lot of segments were obviously inspired by other games. During the course of the game, be prepared to do everything from slow survival horror puzzles and exploration, dudebro action and warfare with tanks and troops parachuting from the sky, to being stealthy and avoiding getting caught in stylistic almost cell-shaded environments, to flying harrier planes.

It doesn't copy other games constantly, but it definitely pulls inspiration for a few segments.

cvxfreak

I don't think it copies COD and Gears. It copies Dead Space by uhm... being able to move and shoot I guess? And people fucking begged for that.

I'm honestly not sure. I've heard tons of different things from many different people. For one, apparently anyone who is good at either Gears or CoD can get into RE6 (the Chris portions of the demo) very easily due to some similarities in gameplay. I'll let others who've played the game already weigh in.

hamchan

Still find it funny that the each campaign starts so badly and then just keeps getting better and better.

Really liking Chris' campaign after 2 really horrible opening chapters and also liking where Chris as a character is going.

For one, apparently anyone who is good at either Gears or CoD can get into RE6 (the Chris portions of the demo) very easily due to some similarities in gameplay.

Honestly based on the demo I felt like Chris' section was more like Uncharted than Gears or Call of Duty. Nothing about the gameplay in the Chris demo reminded me of those games unless you want to equate firing a machine gun with Gears or COD.

Hell I would say that anyone very familiar with COD and Gears would not think that RE6 is like them when it comes to the gameplay. Gears has a very, very heavy feel to its playstyle that RE6 doesn't have, the way you run in Gears and take cover is very different to the way its done in RE6 and so on.

I just think people generalize way too easy, just like they did with Castlevania and God of War, which may look similar but play almost nothing alike when you consider the actual gameplay.

def sim

I'm honestly not sure. I've heard tons of different things from many different people. For one, apparently anyone who is good at either Gears or CoD can get into RE6 (the Chris portions of the demo) very easily due to some similarities in gameplay. I'll let others who've played the game already weigh in.

Chris's campaign is still Resident Evil gameplay with a bunch of set pieces thrown in. It only has the appearance of a squad based shooter.

Still find it funny that the each campaign starts so badly and then just keeps getting better and better.

Really liking Chris' campaign after 2 really horrible opening chapters and also liking where Chris as a character is going.

Chapter 2 was great, especially
the large, open area fights with the bosses.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A giant * on my impressions is that I've only really played Leon's campaign and some of the Chris campaign.

Ok, I've officially gone from "I'm not buying this game" to "this game is fucking awesome".

It's very entertaining.

I've done:

Chris I & II
Jake I & II
Leon I, II & III

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone playing the full version sensitive to framerate issues?

I'm really hoping things have been smoothed out since the demo. In particular, that courtyard segment in Leon's demo with the locked door. That ran very poorly on both systems. Was that improved?

Finished Jake's campaign....meh. Easily the least memorable. And that
motorbike sequence,
good lord that was so sloppy.

Anyway, I'm one chapter down in
Ada's campaign.
The first chapter was so
Uncharted 3's ship, only less impressive.
But that's forgiven because
Ada is a complete badass
still and the best RE character ever!

I'm really hoping things have been smoothed out since the demo. In particular, that courtyard segment in Leon's demo with the locked door. That ran very poorly on both systems. Was that improved?

Nope.

I forgot to mention a "big "thanks"" to "Nemesis_" for getting in the way, dying and being a general irritation during Leon III

:)

Still slowdown in that particular section. Odd, because there are a lot of scenes with a lot more going on and zero slowdown.

Top Bottom