• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RESIDENT EVIL 6 |OT| No Trope Left

You can't see shit? Almost 1/3 of the screen is occupied by your character?. Unless enemies are in your direct field of vision you can't see them, or even see what's in the floor, so you can't barely avoid tripping into bodies...

Yeah but you can just turn the camera. I guess that's what I'm not understanding. It's a matter of simply rotating it. Maybe there's something about that that isn't working for some people I guess, I'm just not seeing it personally.

So i was playing coop and my buddy can pick up the stuff i already picked up. Is that a bug or intended?

Intended, since there's no way to share or trade your items, like in RE5.

So, if you see a green herb, feel free to grab it, it won't dissapear for your co-op partner and he will be able to pick it up as well.

I was thinking they probably did that so people aren't fighting over ammo and stuff like in RE5 where you had to sort of ask first if you didn't want to look inconsiderate.

Yeah, i kinda like it. No more bitching about who gets what gun/stuff. I was always fighting over the guns in RE5 coop since we both like shotguns/assaults.

Intended, since there's no way to share or trade your items, like in RE5.

So, if you see a green herb, feel free to grab it, it won't dissapear for your co-op partner and he will be able to pick it up as well.

Sweet!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah but you can just turn the camera. I guess that's what I'm not understanding. It's a matter of simply rotating it. Maybe there's something about that that isn't working for some people I guess, I'm just not seeing it personally.

I don't think it's elegant to have to wiggle the camera back and forth to achieve full awareness of the battlefield in front of you. Other games manage to just show it to you. I get that they wanted RE6 to be different in various ways, but this seems like choosing form over function, and not for very good reason.

I don't think it's elegant to have to wiggle the camera back and forth to achieve full awareness of the battlefield in front of you. Other games manage to just show it to you. I get that they wanted RE6 to be different in various ways, but this seems like choosing form over function, and not for very good reason.

I see. Just wondering. It's a non-issue for me but I can only speak for myself.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I see. Just wondering. It's a non-issue for me but I can only speak for myself.

It's one of those things people disagree on. I prefer a close perspective.

When I played fallout I zoomed the camera right in over the shoulder... was the only way I could stomach the third person view (it hid most of the horrid animation) and a closer camera makes you feel closer to the world, imo.

But people will never agree on this. FOV is a hot-button issue. Especially with PC-mostly gamers.

Mit-

I assumed this game controlled like Revelations. Does it not?

Is the demo co-op?

And I kind of don't like the item sharing thing. I enjoyed the strategy involved in rationing items out. Seems like an addition for people who are dicks and people who play with dicks online.

But people will never agree on this. FOV is a hot-button issue. Especially with PC-mostly gamers.

I guess for me its like, as long as I can play the game with no trouble, I don't really care or notice. And I can. I mean I think the camera could be better, but I'm not really sure how. When I'm playing the demo I don't find myself wishing it were pulled back or pushed forward, and I have no problem rotating the camera to find my subject or my way around.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright you know what, I am going to blow your guys' minds. I don't just tolerate the camera system, I actually think it's one of my favorite camera systems out there.

I am very picky about my cameras. I want my cameras to point in a certain direction at a certain angle at certain points in time. In most games, the camera adjusts itself both horizontally and vertically based on the direction you are running or what you are doing. I hate this. I am an accomplished enough gamer that I can adjust my own damn camera to look at what I want to look at. If I'm running around and I want to look at the skybox, I don't want you to adjust my camera downwards because that is the "proper" place to be looking. I'm the one playing dammit, let me control my own damn camera.

RE6 lets me do this. If I want the camera facing behind me while I run towards the camera, it lets me do that without panning the camera so that it is eventually behind me. If I want to run to the right but I want to keep an eye on the enemies to my left, I can do that. Hell, it even gives me the option to make the "center camera" button only center the camera horizontally and not vertically. This is amazing.

I will agree that I would prefer the camera to be slightly more zoomed out so I can see more of the battlefield, but the camera freedom as it currently stands is amazing, and I wouldn't want it changed.

When I played fallout I zoomed the camera right in over the shoulder... was the only way I could stomach the third person view (it hid most of the horrid animation) and a closer camera makes you feel closer to the world, imo.

I don't think it's so much an FOV issue as it is how much of the character covers up the screen, and what part of the screen they cover up. You can have enemies directly infront of you that you can't see, that your character is staring straight at. Unless you wiggle the camera about but that's not the best solution.

we aren't talking about people that hate third person, we're talking about people that didn't complain about the cameras in RE4, RE5, REvelations and the dead space series. over the shoulder is one thing, a low camera with your character taking up almost quarter of the screen just off center is a whole other issue. one that i still hope they offer a way around.

The game requires constantly dodging and moving, you should not care about managing the camera constantly. Or rather you shouldn't be constantly moving the camera to find your enemies or be wary of your surroundings.

45met.jpg

This is Vanquish, and you can see how the character occupies a reasonable amount of screen and how you can have a much better look of the battlefield and surroundings without having to move the camera to both sides. Basically this is true for the 90% TPS out there, is worked fine in 4 and 5 and the we got this mess.

Sojgat

FOV doesn't affect everybody. It has never really bothered me before, but the camera being this close in a TPS, the world seems to be rotating around the character, instead of me adjusting my view of it. It makes me feel unwell, I guess it's like an optical thing to do with the horizontal field of view seeming to be less than my own, like putting my hands up to my temple to obscure my peripheral vision.

and the people still carrying on about the OT being 3 posts:

tumblr_mar858npah1qhctc4o1_500.gif

Bumhead

Banned
Will wait for reviews.

I had and continue to have problems with the demo, but I keep going back to it and I seem to have a more enjoyable time with the demo each time. Despite the demo this is still one of my most anticipated games of the year too.

Evolved1

Alright you know what, I am going to blow your guys' minds. I don't just tolerate the camera system, I actually think it's one of my favorite camera systems out there.

I am very picky about my cameras. I want my cameras to point in a certain direction at a certain angle at certain points in time. In most games, the camera adjusts itself both horizontally and vertically based on the direction you are running or what you are doing. I hate this. I am an accomplished enough gamer that I can adjust my own damn camera to look at what I want to look at. If I'm running around and I want to look at the skybox, I don't want you to adjust my camera downwards because that is the "proper" place to be looking. I'm the one playing dammit, let me control my own damn camera.

RE6 lets me do this. If I want the camera facing behind me while I run towards the camera, it lets me do that. If I want to run to the right but I want to keep an eye on the enemies to my left, I can do that. Hell, it even gives me the option to make the "center camera" button only center the camera horizontally and not vertically. This is amazing.

I will agree that I would prefer the camera to be slightly more zoomed out so I can see more of the battlefield, but the camera freedom as it currently stands is amazing, and I wouldn't want it changed.

Is this just during a sprint? I'm a little confused about it... the menu iirc made it sound like it was referring to camera correction during a sprint (the only time you can't control it yourself, unless sprinting with L3)

This is Vanquish, and you can see how the character occupies a reasonable amount of screen and how you can have a much better look of the battlefield and surroundings withour having to move the camera to both sides.

I understand what you mean now. Thanks for explaining. I agree with what you're saying despite it not having so much of an effect on me. I'd definitely like to see how the game would look if the camera were like the one in Vanquish.

Evolved1

I understand what you mean now. Thanks for explaining. I agree with what you're saying despite it not having so much of an effect on me. I'd definitely like to see how the game would look if the camera were like the one in Vanquish.

You can kind of see this by looking at the E3 demo... the camera was much further back in that demonstration.

Replicant

I guess for me its like, as long as I can play the game with no trouble, I don't really care or notice. And I can. I mean I think the camera could be better, but I'm not really sure how. When I'm playing the demo I don't find myself wishing it were pulled back or pushed forward, and I have no problem rotating the camera to find my subject or my way around.

That is fine and dandy when there is only one enemy you're facing off against. When there are multiple enemies and you need to be aware of your surrounding and need to dispatch them quickly, the closed-in FOV means you have to rotate the camera every so often just to see all of them. This in effect, can create a motion sickness for few people. Also, humans don't look at our surrounding the way FPS character or character in RE6 does. Even when we can't see our back, we usually are able to see what's on our left and right side easily without turning our head completely. This is not possible to do in-game without pulling the camera back away from the character's model. This is why the closed-in FOV feels cramped for many people. It's just not a natural state for humans to look at their surroundings.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Is this just during a sprint? I'm a little confused about it... the menu iirc made it sound like it was referring to camera correction during a sprint (the only time you can't control it yourself, unless sprinting with L3)

I think it applies to both sprint and just tapping to center, but I could be wrong. I haven't really compared them.

ErikB

Banned
I'd definitely like to see how the game would look if the camera were like the one in Vanquish.

Not sure it'd work in enclosed spaces.

--

Yknow, I would swear when we were having this argument about the camera in the DD demo we were specifically talking about the aiming camera. Did people play the DD demo?

That is fine and dandy when there is only one enemy you're facing off against. When there are multiple enemies and you need to be aware of your surrounding and need to dispatch them quickly, the closed-in FOV means you have to rotate the camera every so often just to see all of them. This in effect, can create a motion sickness for few people. Also, humans don't look at our surrounding the way FPS character or character in RE6 does. Even when we can't see our back, we usually are able to see what's on our left and right side easily without turning our head completely. This is not possible to do in-game without pulling the camera back away from the character's model. This is why the closed-in FOV feels cramped for many people. It's just not a natural state for humans to look at their surroundings.

Maybe it will be more noticeable when I'm playing through the full game and putting hours upon hours into it. Right now I'm okay with what I've played but I get your guys' logic on the matter nonetheless.

Evolved1

--

Yknow, I would swear when we were having this argument about the camera in the DD demo we were specifically talking about the aiming camera. Did people play the DD demo?

People were not just referring to the aiming camera... you're mistaken.

Koyuga

Huh. Playing around with the Demo, I can almost fix the controls. Aiming with the left analog, shooting with square.. just need to get the camera to lock to leon's back and put melee on L1 and reload on X.
By fixed, I mean by getting the controls back to being as close to RE4/5/Revelations as possible. :p

--

Yeah. The criticism here is that Capcom only fixed half the problem. The FOV doesn't really bother me, but I can understand the complaints about it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

There are many good reasons that FOV should be wider for PC games.

http://truepcgaming.com/2012/02/06/understanding-fov/

At the very least, adjustable FOV for PC versions should be the default (along with subs). Developers who don't include the option look like amateurs (Darksiders II, really Vigil, WTF?)

Elginer

They really need to bring the cam back to E3 levels. As it is, I can only play for a few mins at a time before I want to hurl. I really want to love the game but it's making it hard with that. I still want to play but come on Capcom, what the hell?

Gbraga

Sven:
"Yes. In fact, it should be available on PSN for download day of launch on the North American PSN Store. There's one remaining hurdle that could change that date slightly, but 10/2 is the target. Extra effort was made to make that happen for folks like yourself. Thanks."

Since we're this close and they haven't officialy delayed it yet, I take it we'll get it day one then!

Source:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...1/29372769/resident-evil-6-psndigital-release

Sojgat

Vanquish has plenty of enclosed places, it works just fine. As does any TPS camera that isn't RE6.

And this for comparison is gears 3. Aiming camera is similarly close (with more vertical space visable) and there are just as many enclosed spaces, but look at the standing/unzoomed camera view. You can see your surroundings, unlike RE6.

Gears-of-War-3-Screenshot-8-642x360.jpg

Gears-of-War-3-Screenshot-12-642x360.jpg

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Has someone done a comparison of how much space the character takes up in comparison to 4 and 5?

How do you do the thing where the picture is small until you click it?

edit: thanks guys below me

Anyway, this is just the first RE4 image I grabbed. Leon actually takes up varying amounts of space depending on what you're doing in the game. So sometimes you can see a lot more of him, but no matter what he obscures way less of the background.

edit2: added a more representative picture. the first one is Leon backing toward the camera.

I don't think it's even necessary to compare other game franchises to RE6. Just compare playing RE4 and 5 to 6. It's immediately apparent how closed-in the new one is.

ErikB

Banned
So... at least the complaints about not being able to see below the waist are clearly bollocks?

:)

It really doesn't bother me. Actually, I really liked the way it was in the DD demo, which had a pretty different aim camera.

And I do tend to think people who suffer from motion sickness are wusses. Probably shouldn't , but there it is.

Sven:
"Yes. In fact, it should be available on PSN for download day of launch on the North American PSN Store. There's one remaining hurdle that could change that date slightly, but 10/2 is the target. Extra effort was made to make that happen for folks like yourself. Thanks."

Since we're this close and they haven't officialy delayed it yet, I take it we'll get it day one then!

Source:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_cap...1/29372769/resident-evil-6-psndigital-release

:D
0193_wlqq6.gif

PSN buy it is!

Evolved1

I think it applies to both sprint and just tapping to center, but I could be wrong. I haven't really compared them.

Just checked, you're correct.

In the options menu it describes it as sprint correction but in practice it works in all circumstances.

edit: Day 1 PSN download! yay (now let me get greedy and ask for preload lol)

Top Bottom