• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Akibared

uploaded a video of
the ghost
I've talked about
https://youtu.be/IBKXL_Ch0hE

That's fucking spooky!

ETY6Idqh.jpg

Kinsei

Banned
I can't even find the
axe.

During the
recording section look in all of the nooks in the kitchen. There is a lockpick on the floor that you can use to open the locked drawer. Once it is open return to the present and the axe will be in the drawer waiting for you.

Has anyone found the fuse yet? Not spoilering this since the fuse box is in the first room.

Mato

Mikami only directed BIO1, BIO1R and BIO4. They're not so much "post-Mikami" as post-quite a lot of people (Kamiya, Kawamura, Yamada, Aoyama, Katoh, etc).

I'm gonna assume it was his original vision they were following. I mean RE2/3 were clearly following RE1 in style. Until they let him leave and decided they wanna do something else.

raviolico

man, i like this demo. its so mysterious. it doesn't scream at you that its a new RE game, and I love it for that. No one expected this. Nice fresh start for a great franchise. I'm actually surprised they decided to call it RE7, but I'm glad they did.

This. Seems poor Capcom can deliver whatever they want....they always piss someone off.
I prefer this by a mile to a new Resident Duty.

Loved the demo and can't wait to play more. I'm glad this is a thing after PT being cancelled, even though this wasn't as scary. Still had me on edge, some great Blair Witch Project-vibes too.

News Bot

Banned
I'm gonna assume it was his original vision they were following. I mean RE2/3 were clearly following RE1 in style. Until they let him leave and decided they wanna do something else.

Mikami expressed that BIO2 was not in his style, in fact it was the complete opposite (the Licker and Tyrant introduction sequences would never have existed if he helmed the game for example). He also advocated BIO3's more action-orientated approach, which is a good thing to me personally since the goal was to let those experienced with the previous two games face a bigger challenge and have more fun.

I found it in Free - Demos - RE7 page

Holy shit do they make finding it a miserable experience, can't they just throw it on the new PS Plus tab? Why not use the PS Notification feature to send all Plus users a message?

I don't get why it is such a miserable experience!

Daffy Duck

Well first play though and I got out without solving any other mysteries, game is pretty damn good and the first person perspective works really well.

Can't wait for this.

Bogeypop

During the
recording section look in all of the nooks in the kitchen. There is a lockpick on the floor that you can use to open the locked drawer. Once it is open return to the present and the axe will be in the drawer waiting for you.

Has anyone found the fuse yet? Not spoilering this since the fuse box is in the first room.

Fuse is on the s
mall tabl
e in the l
eft corne
r as you enter the s
ecret passag
e near the f
ireplac
e.

the demo looks surprisingly good, though i guess it helps that it's dark as shit and confined to the house.

i'm too much of a pussy to continue tonight so i'll play again later LOL

Rembrandt

Banned
So is this more akin to outlast/pt than previous resident evil games? The demo might not be the next representation but I'll be dissapointed if this is drawing hereby inspiration from the run and hide horror games.

News Bot

Banned
"Sewer Gators" sounds like a cheeky reference to the giant alligators in BIO2 and Gun Survivor. The premise actually reminds me of the Heavenly Island manga, with a TV crew stumbling into a balls to the wall clusterfuck of death.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm probably in with this despite being out as a true hardcore RE fan since 3. This is what I want. Not the over the shoulder bullshit. Go back to true horror.

Lol, RE was never a true horror game outside REmake. RE2 & RE3 are straight up action games. RE1 is campy horror survival action adventure. Was kind of the perfect blend of everything.

RE7 is kind of weird because outside of REmake the series has never really been a horror game. But nothing wrong with trying something new.

Bedlam

Looks good. I mix of classic RE1-mansion and RE4-village sounds great actually. I'm positively surprised.

First-person for RE sounds a bit uncharacteristic though.

Bl@de

I think it's good that they move in a different direction and look at games like P.T., Amnesia and Siren. After RE6 another over-the-top shooter would be stupid. I don't know if it turns out to be a good game but kudos to Capcom on experementing on such an important franchise. RE7 and RE2make are the right direction :)

Having slept on this, then watched gameplay videos, I've got to say, despite being a fan of the series since day one on the PS1, I'm going to have to pass on this.

First person alone is a current horror trope I'm sick to death of, but this just doesn't have the silly kitsch charm and self awareness either. It's just presenting itself as a pretty joyless experience for me personally.

Also, my fiancée is going to be pissed off to no end. She was mostly into these games for the action and co-op, so she'll have zero interest in this whatsoever, sadly.

I respect Capcom for trying to reinvent the series so thoroughly and embracing horror again mind. It's just not a change I apparently wanted.

Kaldea

I love the atmosphere and I'm quite happy with it. I don't see them making the whole game like this though. If it's RE, it's going to start slow and creepy and then ramp up the action as you go with a few slower breaks in between. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

Ryan_MSF

Played through the demo for the first time, had a really great time with it, and after reading some of the posts here, trying to find all the hidden extras, i'm really going to invest a lot of time in this!

I do feel though that playing this game without a VR headset (I'm only judging the demo at this point) will, at least for me - massively reduce the immersion of this. It was clearly built from the ground up with VR in mind, and whilst towards the end of the demo where you can
tell the tempo is building up, things are falling down, loud noises etc,
I did feel a somewhat sense of dread, I could tell that with PSVR, Vive etc it'd scare the shit out of me.

So far though, opinions are incredibly positive of this. I like the direction they're going, despite being hesitant at the initial reveal, happy to see and concede that I was incredibly wrong.

Kinsei

Banned
Fuse is on the s
mall tabl
e in the l
eft corne
r as you enter the s
ecret passag
e near the f
ireplac
e.

It's not there for me. Are certain items placed randomly? If so then this will be a tough demo to truly beat.

Did either of you guys do any of the optional stuff on the playthroughs where you triggered her?
Did you get the axe and / or finger, or replay the videotape, or anything like that?

I saw her my first time through without getting the axe, or replaying the tape. I haven't seen her since.

Rembrandt

Banned
And people here are saying it is totally NOT copying PT. SMH.

Literally everything about the video gave off PT feels. Capcom isn't dumb. They might as well capitalize off that with an established franchise.

Still hoping we get an outbreak game this gen. How would Capcom respond if Outlast 2 sells better and reviews better?

Mato

Watching the demo right now... It's pretty great. First RE game I'm interested in since RE4 so they must be doing something right. Good stuff.

Top Bottom