• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

Shauni

Yeah, I feel like there has to be something else to the demo, but I'm starting to lose faith. After a full day and multiple regions cracking away at it, everyone has hit the same stump in the road. This thing is either nothing, or Capcom has hidden it in such a completely obtuse and obscure way that there's no way for anyone to actually figure it out. I mean, you have to think about P.T. and how utterly stupid some of the shit was to progress in that, and people cracked that in less than a day. So, something is up. Either there is nothing, or the solution is so beyond abstract that Capcom will just have to show it themselves at some point.

Neiteio

Still it's dumb to release a demo and go "the game won't be exactly like this". When your demo is turning people off you fucked up.
I won't rest easy until I see the real game and how it's like RE.

In the meantime, I really don't even feel like downloading this demo.

That finger though would be a cruel thing to add for it only to affect nothing.

Yeah, but maybe it's just a demo they cut right out of the main game, and you'll use that finger in the main game.

?idk? It just feels like if there is a solution for an extra ending, it's super convoluted.

Lukemon

There doesn't seem to be anyway for the game to connect to the ambassador program. My only guess could be that maybe if so many people play it or beat it something happens.

Wouldn't signing up to Ambassador using the Capcom account thing link it to your PSN? Probably clutching here tbh but that wording in the demo is just so strange.

YOOOOOOO After watching the video, getting the axe, doing the fuse, then watching the video again, I turned around and fucking something walked past the door with some creepy music. Scared the shit outta me. I'll upload the video.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So once again Capcom confirms on the Capcom Unity stream that the demo is not part of the main game. And that the main game will still have all the elements RE is known for.

I just caught this while downloading the demo, and....wat?

That's extremely odd, unless the first person is meant to be a taste of the VR aspect?

But then again, Capcom's been making weird decisions for a while now.

YOOOOOOO After watching the video, getting the axe, doing the fuse, then watching the video again, I turned around and fucking something walked past the door with some creepy music. Scared the shit outta me. I'll upload the video.

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to me! Apparently it happens every time.

Shauni

So that would imply that there is more.

Yeah, it does to me, too. If the game isn't a proper story demo, and there's no secret to it, then what the bloody fuck is the point of even releasing it? It's not like there's any real story to it either, outside very little bits you get from the videotape. The mechanics in it are super basic, so it's like...what's the point? There's just no sense to it.

Jawmuncher

That's extremely odd, unless the first person is meant to be a taste of the VR aspect?

The whole game is definitely first person. Unless they're lying to everyone.

The full game will still be first person. But this demo snippet is not included in the main game. It stands alone.

Astral

Should I wait until tonight to play the demo or is it so lacking in scares that it won't make a difference what time of the day I play it?

Jawmuncher

No, not really

They specifically mentioned: exploration, puzzles, item management, health management, and combat. Basically back to the roots, no more "superhero" characters.

So then this game doesn't have everything RE is known for. What a bunch of liars.

Kouichi

So once again Capcom confirms on the Capcom Unity stream that the demo is not part of the main game. And that the main game will still have all the elements RE is known for.

Good to hear. I expect RE7 to essentially be a first person take on the older RE1-3/REmake series. So it will take place a single environment with plenty of back tracking, puzzles, and claustrophobic areas, along with a large focus horror and item management. But it will all be in first person with an aesthetic similar to the typical modern horror games.

Ok so... something happened, but it might just be a glitch. I kicked that doll baby thing all the way back to the TV room with the intention of kicking it down the hole in the secret passage. Not too far into the TV room though, the baby just stops moving and will disappear if you go too far into the room. If you go back it reappears, but it won't move anymore. It could be a glitch, but I feel like it might be something since there is ghost stuff in this game.

sjay1994

I was expecting that. I think the problem was this was called a demo for RE7 and not a teaser. I was expecting to be playing something similar to what was shown on the video tape, not the actual thing shown at sony's conference

Yep. Fully first person. Sorry if you're not happy about that.

Oh.

I was expecting that. I think the problem was this was called a demo for RE7 and not a teaser. I was expecting to be playing something similar to what was shown on the video tape, not the actual thing shown at sony's conference

They do call it a teaser on the console, but I agree. I think the messaging was wrong and made many minds jump to the FPS run and hide survival horror games populating the genre these days. They should've either showed a better look at a later part of the game with the RE elements, or come out with a stronger message that they weren't entirely making that sort of game.

Alfredo_V

Neo Member
Edit - sry wrong qoute.

So we should fully expect herbs, Type writers, and ammo management. So we should in theory basically get first person REmake in a sense.

Yeah now I'm really confused. What exactly was Capcom's goal here with whats been showed? Just a VR thing?
Also if the game is set to release in january, wouldn't the timing and E3 stage time better been used to show the actual game?

Jawmuncher

Yeah now I'm really confused. What exactly was Capcom's goal here with whats been showed? Just a VR thing?
Also if the game is set to release in january, wouldn't the timing and E3 stage time better been used to show the actual game?

Yeah it's really odd and there's definitely too much defense for what isn't a very good representative teaser.

People jumping the gun as usual.

Actually, Capcom is the one that jumped the gun releasing a demo to the public that is apparently, after internet sleuthing, not representative of the actual game.

Should've come with a disclaimer, something like "WARNING: This demo contains scenes of extreme coattail riding. *final game won't be simulating walking like it's 2010"

So now I have a second phone ringing from what appears to be behind a barred off door. Where's that goddamn axe when you need it!?

Edit: Sorry meant to post this in the impressions thread.

Gren

Still it's dumb to release a demo and go "the game won't be exactly like this". When your demo is turning people off you fucked up.

Pretty much. I keep a pretty open mind when it comes to RE, but I'd be lying if I said that the teaser left me excited or *really* wanting more.

BadWolf

Actually, Capcom is the one that jumped the gun releasing a demo to the public that is apparently, after internet sleuthing, not representative of the actual game.

They probably thought people would appreciate the horror, exploration etc. after all the bitching and moaning people did about RE6 being an action game.

As someone who has never been a fan of the Resident Evil games but has seen gameplay of most of the games and has a basic understanding of the series, outside of it being first person, it doesn't look all that different from the early games.

With that being said, I was surprised at all the negativity. I'm assuming it's mainly the first person aspect, because outside of that, it looks like a Resident Evil game.

Shredderi

As someone who has never been a fan of the Resident Evil games but has seen gameplay of most of the games and has a basic understanding of the series, outside of it being first person, it doesn't look all that different from the early games.

With that being said, I was surprised at all the negativity. I'm assuming it's mainly the first person aspect, because outside of that, it looks like a Resident Evil game.

I can't see similarities between this and the older games. Like, at all. I've played all of them.

Top Bottom