• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 - New Gameplay Videos & Articles

joe2187

Banned
I like both of them too, but there is no denying that most people find them pretty bland and safe, not wanting to take any risks and instead capitalizing on the gun action alone. This is why I think 5 and 6 damaged the brand as a whole, they weren't really doing anything good for the series.

What? RE6 was their most ambitious and most expensive game capcom has made to date (Dont ask about Deep Down)

Added nothing new and not taking risks does not describe RE6 at all.

They had multiple long campaigns with new and old characters spanning varied enviroments each with their own different enemy types, and enemies which transformed on the fly.

They had the best evolution of the RE4 RE5 combat system and is still amazing to play

They implemented some rather crazy and insane co-op systems that added in players who were playing the campaigns simultaneously so you'd have a party of 4 players to help take down a boss on multiple occasions.

RE6 is the result of capcom going batshit insane with budget and having a team of more than 600 or so people throwing everything at the wall at once.

Astral Dog

5 and 6 damaged the brand so much they became capcom's two best selling games lol.

On topic. I like what I saw in the video. Too bad we couldn't see the other weapons. I really like the look of the mold monsters.
Yeah but you have to remember 6 was a very expensive game that took a huge team for what was escentially mediocre reviews and fan response.
And a big part of the series popularity was because if the Movies wich are ending soon :S
Capcom took a hit on their pride, and now are trying a new direction for the series

RSB

Banned
Ugh. No thanks. I love RE, but this game still looks as unappealing as it did when they first released the Beginning Hour demo.

I just hope they don't fuck up the RE2 Remake (it better be 100% classic RE)

Also it would be awesome if Revelations 3 (or a new spin-off series) kept that awesome action RE gameplay alive.

Spinky

What? RE6 was their most ambitious and most expensive game capcom has made to date (Dont ask about Deep Down)

They had multiple long campaigns with new and old characters spanning varied enviroments each with their own different enemy types, and enemies which transformed on the fly.

They had the best evolution of the RE4 RE5 combat system and is still amazing to play

They implemented some rather crazy and insane co-op systems that added in players who were playing the campaigns simultaneously so you'd have a party of 4 players to help take down a boss on multiple occasions.

RE6 is the result of capcom going batshit insane with budget and having a team of more than 600 or so people throwing everything at the wall at once.
This.

Sesha

Gamesradar can fuck off saying 5 & 6 damaged the brand.

4-6 were all action games. You can't just scratch out 4 because you like it.

5 and 6 chose to follow that direction, even when they didn't, were much more action heavy overall than RE4 and poorer campaigns. RE6 in particular absolutely damaged the brand by underperforming and being one of the worst-rated RE games. That said I always felt RE5 had many of the same issues as RE6 and that RE6 was just a simple continuation of RE5, warts and all, and I never get why RE fanboys and others got so upset about 6 when 5 was almost nearly as flawed.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Did they play it in VR at all? curious on those impressions.

I'm watching the videos right now. Guy says they captured all the footage in the GamesRadar video from the PS4 version, and mentions he played both with VR and without, but says he played VR after he played it without but he imagines playing in VR will be terrifying as playing without VR blindly was terrifying.

Lime

Slasher horror does absolutely nothing for me and with the writing in the demo, I'm most likely won't play this game outside of a social party event where we're having a laugh / get scared together.

Can't watch and read that content while at work, but these blurbs so far are sending me spinning. It's great that the doors are finally being blown open on the game proper.

RibMan

Love psychological horrors. The positive impressions are exciting! Really really hope the final game turns out great!

ChanMan

I'll bite. Why?

Weirdly enough the older I get the less I like games that are scary/horror themed just too stressful for me. I couldn't even play Until Dawn that was the final straw in letting me know that I am pretty much done with the horror genre, this includes movies too.

Astral Dog

Ugh. No thanks. I love RE, but this game still looks as unappealing as it did when they first released the Beginning Hour demo.

I just hope they don't fuck up the RE2 Remake (it better be 100% classic RE)

Also it would be awesome if Revelations 3 (or a new spin-off series) kept that awesome action RE gameplay alive.
Even Revelatons 2 was not very good as an action game.
they tried to make it RE4 ish with strong design but worse stuff.

wiibomb

I think our definitions of risk are different, throwing money at a project that is trying to be the next Call of Duty or Battlefield with weird creatures isn't exactly taking a risk, it isn't even new. Throwing money is just a testament of how much the company trusts the idea, which was the idea? a gun action game with monsters... and a dinosaur final boss.

Taking a risk for me is doing something daring in the game, in how this game is and feels. it is easy to throw money to a project your projections see as profitable, not so much when you completely change the idea done 2 games before for a slower pace game, it takes some more risk and planning. RE6 for me is more like RE5, but BIGGER, BADASS. I don't see that as necessarily bad, but it isn't daring or new.

I see risks in 7, a lot of them, a hell lot, from the game ideas, to gameplay elements, atmosphere, pacing, to the marketing, the demos, the foreshadowing with VR (AKA Kitchen demos), I see they are doing things very differently as how they used to do it, even to how most AAA companies usually do.

I could argue even that 4 did this with RE1,2 and 3 as a precedence.

5 and 6 were trying to profit on the most superficial RE4 idea of shooting and having more action instead of trying to build something better.

Jawmuncher

Gamesradar is right. Looks like this game is bringing RE back on track. i am very excited about this

It depends on what you want from RE. I'm looking forward to RE7. But it's been an action series as long as it was a horror series if not longer. Capcom themselves made a divide in their fan base. It's not like the people who like RE4-6 went to capcom and made the games themselves.

I've said before, I hope that capcom can finally appeal to all the divides they have made with numerous games.

We now have
RE7 for horror
RE2 should be for classic
With a third title for action, literally all bases are taken care of.

One of my biggest complaints about both Rev 1 & 2. They're this weird middle ground of trying to be action and horror and to me succeed at neither. You really can't have both.

You can have a horror game
Or an action game with horror themes

That's not to say they're bad games. But especially if you're more a fan of the action gameplay. Revelations doesn't have much to offer there.

strafer

only thing stopping me from buying this game is the forced FPS. I dont wanna play a first person resident evil game.

If it had a toggle I would be okay.

RE6 had that.

RSB

Banned
I know, that's what I want either a new spin-off series that keeps that sweet action RE gameplay alive, or make Revelations 3 a proper action RE (because, as you said, Revelations 1 and 2 were pretty mediocre in that regard)

J-Skee

only thing stopping me from buying this game is the forced FPS. I dont wanna play a first person resident evil game.

If it had a toggle I would be okay.

RE6 had that.

I wonder if a lot of people will feel like that. It'll be Metal Gear Solid V all over again when people were saying "it isn't Metal Gear, won't play it".

Not sure if I want to spoil some things but it's great to hear all of this. I don't like first person perspective but if the game turns to be good I'll probably buy it since i love RE

Astral Dog

5 and 6 chose to follow that direction, even when they didn't, were much more action heavy overall than RE4 and poorer campaigns. RE6 in particular absolutely damaged the brand by underperforming and being one of the worst-rated RE games. That said I always felt RE5 had many of the same issues as RE6 and that RE6 was just a simple continuation of RE5, warts and all, and I never get why RE fanboys and others got so upset about 6 when 5 was almost nearly as flawed.
I think at the very least Resi 5 felt like a polished game despite lacking many of the same things that made RE4 amazing.

RE 6 feels like they tried to make it bigger, faster, more actiony and full of QTEs and dreadful characters. So it was more noticeable because it hit you like a brick to the face, even casual fans noticed

All I need to know about RE7:

When I play this game in VR, is it going to make me pee, poop or puke?

tumblr_n9t6i2po4o1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

Easy_D

never left the stone age
RE7 is so exciting :eek:. Footage looks great. Sounds like they took a lot of inspiration from Haunting Ground as well with there being one main enemy you have to avoid in sections?

This is looking like it could be something special...

Man, FF15 November
TLG in December
RE7 in January
Horizon & Nioh in February

Hmmm...what's getting delayed?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Not sure if I wanto spoil some things but it's great to hear all of this. I don't like first person perspective but if the game turns to be good I'll probably buy it since i love RE

I mean, the game could fall apart after this or something, who knows and all that? But as the previews seemed to have played about a fourth of the game and they're glowing, we at least know there's probably a very good opening fourth of the game to look forward to.

The 'demo' they played was of the 3-5 hours of the game, of what Capcom claims is a 15 hour game (I'll guess 12-16 hours from some murmurs on the internet).

rtcn63

Watching the IGN gameplay and commentary, this does sound like a first-person Haunting Ground. Sorta. Enemies harass you until a dramatic boss confrontation. I'm... still intrigued.

yuraya

Has Capcom mentioned Mercs/Raid mode of any kind for the game? Or are they not doing it with this one? Hopefully they don't do away with it. First person perspective can offer a lot of new stuff with.

Jawmuncher

Has Capcom mentioned Mercs/Raid mode of any kind for the game? Or are they not doing it with this one? Hopefully they don't do away with it. First person perspective can offer a lot of new stuff with.

With the shooting looking like ZombiU I wouldn't bank on there being any bonus mode.

ethomaz

Banned
This games gives the vibe of original original RE since first trailer.

Looks to be one of the best games of the generation if delivers.

Nemesis_

I really don't see them doing anything beyond some unlockables weapons. There's some DLC episodes coming, but presumably just more single player stuff.

I hope if Capcom keeps Revelations going as a series that it includes Raid or Mercs.

Or better yet just launch a game as a platform and keep adding content to it. Mercs with the SF5 model would be amazing as it's own standalone thing.

One of my favorite things in the RE series is seeing the detail put into the environments, especially the pre-rendered ones. Seeing a glimpse of the different gritty looking rooms and varied assets in these videos makes me very happy.

Top Bottom