• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

A nice surprise seeing all the good reviews. Only letdown though is the lack of Mercenaries mode... dear Capcom, is so difficult to make a standalone title for consoles like the 3DS game but with all the characters and mechanics from 5 and 6 to celebrate the 20th anniversary?

Umbrella Corps is a joke :/

Im not believing the reviews until I play it myself.

Im watching the Kinda Funny review which they say how great it is....
except they then go on to describe everything but the atmosphere as terrible.

In the original Revelations trailer Jill was voiced by Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Es0xReoS2nA

Is amazing how pretty much nothing in this trailer has anything to do with the released game aside from it being on a ship.

No zombies, no Hunk, no doppleganger, no Jill vs Chris. Whatever the original story was (something to do with a secret from Jill's past according to a statement somewhere) I wonder if they'll ever revisit the idea.

strafer

Is amazing how pretty much nothing in this trailer has anything to do with the released game aside from it being on a ship.

No zombies, no Hunk, no doppleganger, no Jill vs Chris. Whatever the original story was (something to do with a secret from Jill's past according to a statement somewhere) I wonder if they'll ever revisit the idea.

Is there a reason they abandoned that idea? Or is it just Capcom being Capom.

Is there a reason they abandoned that idea? Or is it just Capcom being Capom.

I don't think they ever commented on why the story was changed, though RE6 having a similar thing with copies of characters (Ada/Carla) and two good characters facing off (Leon and Chris) may of had something to do with it. Same release year too.

Now that you mention this, it's true, almost all the things showed in the first trailer didn't make it in the final game.

Did not know that it was something about Jill's past though. I wonder what the story could have been if they went with it.

Vibranium

Banned
Don't know if this has been posted and I think we all knew this but I just saw this on reddit while googling some RE related stuff.

They got Mercer for Leon but couldn't get Roger for Chris. That's really fucked up to be honest.

XWuFb1I.png

Wow, Roger Craig Smith not being Chris is something. Capcom and related RE media love their voice actor changes.

I wish Alyson Court and Sally Cahill would come back for RE2 but that's not going to happen. Jim Sterling was right.

Carbonox

Using a knife on Plant 42 was "fun". Surprised how easy Yawn was though on the final fight using only the knife. On my way to the sewers now. Sir Crimson Head wasn't too bad either. These three were the ones I was most anxious about.

Wanderer5

So having been meaning to wrapped up Separate Ways in RE4, I got around to that today before RE7 came around. Took 3 hours on it in total, and enjoyed much of it. In the last chapter, Krauser (lol still living after his fight with Leon) was kind of annoying in such really tight areas, but the campaign ended on a fine enough note with Saddler and the race to the rocket launcher.

The bite sized campaign with Ada ended up being a nice extra. It too bad regarding the cutscenes through, but oh well.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
All my talk about sitting it out, fpv, and such... impulse buy.

Guess I'm playing it. Wondering if I should bother with VR.

Finishing my replay of 6 I started a few months back from the 7 & Damnation hype.
Screw the haters, Chris' campaign is one of the best action shooters I have ever played.

Jawmuncher

Finishing my replay of 6 I started a few months back from the 7 & Damnation hype.
Screw the haters, Chris' campaign is one of the best action shooters I have ever played.

Yeah I still think he has the best campaign. It's the most focused on what it wants to be. It doesn't try weak scares and atmosphere like Leon, and weird stuff all around like jakes infamous chapter 2

Yeah I still think he has the best campaign. It's the most focused on what it wants to be. It doesn't try weak scares and atmosphere like Leon, and weird stuff all around like jakes infamous chapter 2

Its just a flat out Gears of War type game and I actually enjoyed it more than all of those(besides maybe 1)
I mean there are a couple areas that need work like the Jeep chase and the Harrier could have used a few more weeks of tweaking but it was such a solid experience.

China had a good sense of scale that is lacking in the series sometimes as well.

Seyavesh

from what i've seen, it seems like the folks who are really into re6's combat system find chris's their favorite because of that- it has the most straight combat sections with the least amount of gimmick sections. there's some extremely low lows in those gimmick sections but they're so much more sparse than the other campaigns that it's not too big of a deal

folks who don't like the game or who don't really scratch the mechanics find leon's campaign the best because of the re2/4 throwback tone it has at times

i rarely ever see anyone rate jake's campaign as #1 specifically because it's got the most gimmick sections rather than straight combat sections. it tends to sit at a permanent #2 on most people's lists because beyond those it has a good enough combination of decent tone setting and probably the best combat encounters in the game overall (which are separated by gimmick sections)

i personally like ada's campaign a ton but i rarely see it rated very high so idk. not really sure why it's rated so low since it's got no real annoying gimmick sections and nice combat encounters. it's actually my personal #2, with jake and leon trailing behind by quite a large margin.

anyways going back and forth between re7 and re6 is really hilarious due to the tonal whiplash but man, every time i go back to 6 i just get a 'lil sad that we won't get any more games like it or any games that refine on the combat mechanics of it

from what i've seen, it seems like the folks who are really into re6's combat system find chris's their favorite because of that- it has the most straight combat sections with the least amount of gimmick sections. there's some extremely low lows in those gimmick sections but they're so much more sparse than the other campaigns that it's not too big of a deal

folks who don't like the game or who don't really scratch the mechanics find leon's campaign the best because of the re2/4 throwback tone it has at times

i rarely ever see anyone rate jake's campaign as #1 specifically because it's got the most gimmick sections rather than straight combat sections. it tends to sit at a permanent #2 on most people's lists because beyond those it has a good enough combination of decent tone setting and probably the best combat encounters in the game overall (which are separated by gimmick sections)

i personally like ada's campaign a ton but i rarely see it rated very high so idk. not really sure why it's rated so low since it's got no real annoying gimmick sections and nice combat encounters. it's actually my personal #2, with jake and leon trailing behind by quite a large margin.

anyways going back and forth between re7 and re6 is really hilarious due to the tonal whiplash but man, every time i go back to 6 i just get a 'lil sad that we won't get any more games like it or any games that refine on the combat mechanics of it

It would be great if 8 had
a Chris and Jill co-op action campaign similar to 6,
a solo horror campaign in 7's style.

I don't know if Capcom will ever allow a Resident Evil to be that stuffed again though.

Brhoom

Banned
Watching Dusk play Resident Evil 7. I think I underestmated his skills at horror games. Maybe Madhouse would not have been a bad first choice for him.

Carbonox

I also find Chris's campaign to be the strongest in RE6. The final battle is like a throwback to the old RE final battles, only you have your own baby Tyrant with you fighting alongside you.

Speaking of Tyrant, I'm surprised how easy he is to beat with a knife in REmake. He's the easiest boss. The rest are awkward for various reasons.

Real Survivor and Invisible Enemies modes remain and the Platinum is done.

Ralemont

not me
I like Jake and Sherry's campaign the best. I think it has the best story with the two best characters in the game who have a good dynamic together. I also like the Walmart Nemesis sections. It does have a few shitty sections, though.

Chris's campaign is easily my favorite of RE6 for the reasons already stated. Focus on the great mechanics and straight up encounters, less slow walking, QTE, gimmick nonesense. It's got some solid set-pieces too, the giant invisible snake section is a classic RE boss fight imo.

Ada's campaign is by far my least favorite. Good god I hated it. Leon and Jake's typify the uneven nature of the game, but overall they're decent.

Gradon

Madhouse mode first or not? That's my dilemma ATM. Going to start RE7 in the next couple of hours and I'm not sure what difficulty I wanna play it in.

Akiller

I think Chris' campaign was the best because it was the most "honest" one toward the player, it was like "Yeah, we are not trying to put bullshit alternative sections or anything, this is an action tps and nothing else".

zeemumu

I liked Leon campaign's atmosphere and Jake's hand-to-hand combat.

I didn't like Ada's campaign because I got to this point while low on ammo and started getting annoyed.

379307375.jpg

The rest of her campaign was probably fine though.

I didn't like Ada's campaign because I got to this point while low on ammo and started getting annoyed.
LOL I was on the part of Chris campaign on Professional this playthrough where you fight the helicopter in the restaurant,
literally my last shot blew up the helicopter
was getting pissed.

zeemumu

LOL I was on the part of Chris campaign on Professional this playthrough where you fight the helicopter in the restaurant,
literally my last shot blew up the helicopter
was getting pissed.

RE6 was the only game for me where ammo management was a problem. Well, that and Code Veronica.

Carbonox

Man, Real Survival mode on REmake is definitely a challenge here and there. I can dodge most shit but some Hunters are truly cunts. They stick to you like glue and their slashes cause you stop for like a good fucking 2/3 seconds that they could sometimes chain that for ages. Ones that are far away from you are easy to avoid though but the eastern save room area is a real clusterfuck on this difficulty.

That said, I've made it past Plant 42 and back to the Mansion in from the very beginning of the game in only 50 minutes which is my best yet.

RE7 came today but I can't start that when I have like 2 trophies left on REmake. :p

Okay all of this positive talk about Resident Evil 7 is really making the wait for GOTY all the harder. Survival horror elements in full effect ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Going to experience Alien Isolation for the first time before jumping in somewhere in the next two years.

Okay all of this positive talk about Resident Evil 7 is really making the wait for GOTY all the harder. Survival horror elements in full effect ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Going to experience Alien Isolation for the first time before jumping in somewhere in the next two years.

Alien: Isolation will be a good starting point to tide you over, as the two games feel very much like kin.

Brhoom

Banned
Dusk is breezing through Madhouse...

Must be because of that mouse aiming.

I refuse to believe he's that good.

You're really good at this!!!

What's everyone's thoughts on RE7?

I loved my first playthrough. Game made me jump a lot. I'm glad that they didn't go all out with showing the game off. I just wished there was an extra mode, but it looks like you'll need the season pass for that.

I think I'm only like 25% of the way through right now, but so far I think it's really fucking great. Really great design, aesthetics, mechanics, tone, confident direction, etc. If it maintains this quality, I could see this being in my top 3 RE games tbh. Totally blown away by the level of quality.

My only complaint thus far (although I guess it hasn't been an issue for me yet) is that I really hope for the sequel they expand the enemy variety. Part of why I love the series is the varied enemy selection, and while the molded are solid standard enemies (if a bit uninspired visually), and the Bakers are great stalkers/bosses, I want my dog/crow/hunter equivalents too damn it!

I hope it was worth it capcom

4yXtdmg.gif

��

Oh I think it was worth it lol.

I do hope that they make a Revelations 3 that is appropriately budgeted and can mechanically carry on the torch of 4/5/6 though.

zeemumu

What's everyone's thoughts on RE7?

I loved my first playthrough. Game made me jump a lot. I'm glad that they didn't go all out with showing the game off. I just wished there was an extra mode, but it looks like you'll need the season pass for that.

"I hear noises so I know he's still the-AAAAH SHIT!" I don't know how far I am but I'm having fun so far.

RSB

Banned
I hope it was worth it capcom

4yXtdmg.gif

😢
Don't worry, when they are finished turning the RE2 Remake into a 1st person game (which is totally classic RE, apparently) they'll start working on Revelations 3. That will keep action RE alive. Well, the low budget/mediocre combat version of it at least.
:weeps:

Jawmuncher

Don't worry, when they are finished turning the RE2 Remake into a 1st person game (which is totally classic RE, apparently) they'll start working on Revelations 3. That will keep action RE alive. Well, the low budget/mediocre combat version of it at least.
:weeps:

That's my biggest worry. When people tell me "Oh Revelations 1 and 2 are action games" I die a little in side. Even if you can classify them as such, they don't hold a candle to RE4-6

I'm still like 90% sure REmake 2 will be, well, in the REmake style. They know what people want.
except that Jaw wants more action evil

I still think RE2make won't be first person. I understand why people think so though. We've only seen the RE engine in first person so far. But I do think it has more capabilities than that, along with capcom as well I don't think will double down on one style for the series. With a new game you get more leeway, but a remake of an older game there are some expectations to an extent. We'll see though.
Action Evil 4 life

Top Bottom