• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

strafer

As much as I love it, that costume always bothers me in the context of RE5.
It is really out of place unless paired with

I'd like to see Jill with

in her color scheme in the future.
Or at the very least to have a blue Rebecca style vest over whatever they go with

I really want her police uniform from RE3 to return as well.

This costume? It's the best. Not a fan of the battlesuit.

1702200-jill.jpg

Ah okay, gotcha.

Its a dumb nitpick I have had going back to RE1, however I always forgive the STARS costume for how iconic it is.
Literally every member of STARS is wearing a vest(including the pilots and medic) but Jill just wears her shoulder pad things.

Umbrella's End: Chris and all the Anti-Umbrella troops wearing vests,
Jill wears a blue winter jacket.

5: Chris has a vest and tactical gear, Jill is in a blue athletic top.

Revelations is really the only one I feel she fits well in, and thats because everyone is in water gear.

Mr_Zombie

Im just asking for a vest.

Yeah, it's really weird that we saw Jill's three four official suits: one for STARS and two three for BSAA, and none of them had any real protection (except from that shoulder pads). All other members of STARS had vests; all BSAA members in RE5 had vests; Chris and Parker in Revelations had vests (Jessica and her weird legless wetsuit isn't worth mentioning). Chris and others in Umbrella Chronicles had vests. But not Jill.

If it was Jill instead of Rebecca when Chris confronted Wesker in RE1, she would be dead on the spot.

strafer

God, Jessicas legless wetsuit...what the fuck was that shit. Never have a shaked my head more and the cleavage on that one female in the beginning.

Jawmuncher

Wait a minute, why did I never think of this.
If they did a Revelations 3, it should totally star Jake. Just because of the connection it could have with Alex.

Chris and Parker in Revelations had vests (Jessica and her weird legless wetsuit isn't worth mentioning).
Revelation's doesn't bother me because Chris and Parker's vests aren't armor,
they are just military grade life-preservers with ammo pouches clipped on.
honestly came so close to topping STARS for me.

All the designs in Revelations were pretty good besides Jessica's missing wetsuit leg and Conan O'Brien

As much as I love Jill's
The concept art makes me a bit sad.

strafer

Don't know if this has been posted and I think we all knew this but I just saw this on reddit while googling some RE related stuff.

They got Mercer for Leon but couldn't get Roger for Chris. That's really fucked up to be honest.

XWuFb1I.png

Mr_Zombie

God, Jessicas legless wetsuit...what the fuck was that shit. Never have a shaked my head more and the cleavage on that one female in the beginning.

Reading the artbook, some of the quotes are really something.

About her winter costume:
In order to depict her instability, Jessica is wearing a strangely unrealistic costume. However, as it's a costume from the beginning of the story, it was adjusted to make it not too outrageous.

It'd be too cold (and mad) to wear high heels on a snowy mountain, but Jessica is the type to endure that for the sake of fashion.

About her underwater costume:
[Jessica's] design concept was 'instability'. (...) Such a twisted personality is depicted in her asymmetrical costume and over-the-top exposure.

I know it's unrealistic, but I was obsessed with high heels and a fetish look. I thought it might be a bit over the top, but it fit Jessica's character well.

About her various designs:
... nothing was settled. But body exposure and high heels were something I wanted to do from early on.

When we talked about Jessica, the key phrase was "girl power", so I imagined her wearing frilly clothes - even on a mission.

I was told to make costumes more "femine", so I made her clothes frilly.

So "femine" and "girl power" means impractical costumes (fashion over functionality) with lots of exposed skin and some fetishism thrown in. Uhmm... It's basically this:
LQldY8G.jpg

However, there's still hope:
Looking at [Jessica's diving suite] again, it is a quite embarrassing costume. I can't take my eyes off the holsters attached to her bare skin.

Unfortunately, there's very little info about Racheal other than in the beginning she was meant to have a very minor role (just a body lying on the ground), so her costume was nothing more than a slightly modified Jill's diving suite. There's no comment about the huge cleavage or the weird haircut.

Revelation's doesn't bother me because Chris and Parker's vests aren't armor,
they are just military grade life-preservers with ammo pouches clipped on.

There are still on-land costumes. In the chapter that takes place on the beach, Parker is wearing a vest, while Jill is wearing her RE5 BSAA costume (minus the cap).

Don't know if this has been posted and I think we all knew this but I just saw this on reddit while googling some RE related stuff.

They got Mercer for Leon but couldn't get Roger for Chris. That's really fucked up to be honest.

XWuFb1I.png

Mercer is much lower tier and still does anime,
Im still just crossing my fingers that its because it is an anime company making this and not Sony this time and a shitty dubstudio got it.

Carbonox

Man, trophy-hunting in REmake is a ballache. While you could technically do everything in just 3 playthroughs (good luck), I knew that would do my nut in so I'm doing quicker individual runs a few times (now I can beat the game in like 2 hours+).

Done with all the Jill-related trophies so now have to do the following:

Chris: Stone and Metal object
Chris: Plant 42
Chris: Last Book Vol 2
Chris: Lisa Trevor
Chris: Save Chris with Rebecca
Chris: Save Rebecca from Hunter
Chris: Complete saving Jill/Rebecca
Chris: Complete without saving anyone
Complete Real Survival mode
Complete Invisible Enemy mode
Complete game with knife only
Obtain all weapons
Obtain all costumes
Visit all places on all maps & get all items

Gonna split it in to the following runs:

Run 1:

Chris: Stone and Metal object
Chris: Plant 42
Chris: Last Book Vol 2
Chris: Lisa Trevor
Chris: Save Chris with Rebecca
Chris: Save Rebecca from Hunter
Chris: Complete saving Jill/Rebecca
Obtain all weapons (just need the flamethrower)

Run 2:

Obtain all costumes (2 Chris runs gets all his costumes; already done Jill's)

Run 3:

Real Survival mode

Run 4:

Invisible Enemy mode

Ay dios mio. I guess technically I could consolidate Real Survival mode in to the first run and Invisible Enemy mode in to the second run to cut the needed runs in half but I could see that being a bit more annoying.

About to play Revelations (Wii U) for the first time. Anything I should know either option-wise or that the game doesn't communicate effectively on?

Jawmuncher

About to play Revelations (Wii U) for the first time. Anything I should know either option-wise or that the game doesn't communicate effectively on?

Look at how to do the miiverse integration works. That's pretty cool. Not much else besides that for that version. Or are you saying you never played Rev 1 at all?

Even if that's the case, it's pretty clear cut. You search, shoot dudes, and when they're stunned you charge your melee attack. Only thing I can say really is make sure you got some good upgrades for the end of the game. The last boss can be a doozy.

Mr_Zombie

The only thing that comes to mind is that the combat is slightly different here than it was in RE4 and RE5. Enemies have fewer weak points that allow you to perform a melee. For example, you can stun Ooze (the basic enemy) only by shooting at both of its arms. When the arm is "stunned", it looks, well, limpy. When two arms become "limp" the Ooze is stunned and you can perform the melee. Hunters, on the other hand, have a soft spot at their forehead.

Also, the melee here works differently too. There's only one per character and you can hold the melee button to charge the attack. Keep in mind that when you start charging the attack, even if the enemy wakes up, you can still finish the melee attack. You can use it for delaying the attack. It's good for attacking more than one enemy, where you can stun enemy, start charging the attack and wait for the nearby enemy to get close so you can damage it too (useful especially in Raid mode).

Look at how to do the miiverse integration works. That's pretty cool. Not much else besides that for that version. Or are you saying you never played Rev 1 at all?

Even if that's the case, it's pretty clear cut. You search, shoot dudes, and when they're stunned you charge your melee attack. Only thing I can say really is make sure you got some good upgrades for the end of the game. The last boss can be a doozy.

First time, finally. I haven't seen the miiverse integration in-game aside from being asked about it on start up, but I'll investigate it further tonight.

So far the aiming feels odd, but it could be the gamepad.

kc44135

First time, finally. I haven't seen the miiverse integration in-game aside from being asked about it on start up, but I'll investigate it further tonight.

So far the aiming feels odd, but it could be the gamepad.

You picked up the worst version of Revelations, unfortunately. The aiming and deadzones are completely borked in that version (at least with the gamepad, not sure if the Pro controller fixes this), and there are also some famerate drops here and there as well. As for the game itself, it's pretty straightforward. One thing I would stress is to scan as often as you can, as you'll find TONS of ammo and herbs in the environment using the scanner. It's a pretty important mechanic, much like "scanning" the environment with Moira or Natalia in Revelations 2, if you've played it.

Thanks for all the Revelations input everyone. The Wii U version came down to availability of the platform. 360 and PS3 are in my other residence, and I don't have a 3DS Circle Pad Pro.

I'll probably get used to the dead zones and such. Game could have used some sensitivity or accelerator options. My other big issues thus far is the VA work and writing, but maybe that picks up later.

strafer

Thanks for all the Revelations input everyone. The Wii U version came down to availability of the platform. 360 and PS3 are in my other residence, and I don't have a 3DS Circle Pad Pro.

I'll probably get used to the dead zones and such. Game could have used some sensitivity or accelerator options. My other big issues thus far is the VA work and writing, but maybe that picks up later.

If the VA and writing are your biggest issues then RE is not for you.

Sad to see that RCS isn't returning for Vendetta. Him and Patricia Ja Lee are the best VA for Chris and Jill IMO but Capcom had to make something wrong...

About the best Jill, BSAA and REmake are my favorites. I'm still waiting some news about what happened to her after 5.

strafer

Even by RE standards REV1 is a shit show

Sure, but the voice acting itself is far from bad.

Sad to see that RGS isn't returning for Vendetta. Him and Patricia Ja Lee are the best VA for Chris and Jill IMO but Capcom had to make something wrong...

About the best Jill, BSAA and REmake are ny favorites. I'm still waiting some news about ehat happened to her after 5.

If Resi 7 is the start of something new then we will probably never hear about her or the other characters ever again.

I wanna know about Sheva and Josh.

If they can't do it via games then do it with a Netflix TV series as we talked about before.

If Resi 7 is the start of something new then we will probably never hear about her or the other characters ever again.

If they can't do it via games then do it with a Netflix TV series as we talked about before.
Jill's VA was terrible in Rev IMO. They should have gone with how she looked in the first trailer. The rest of the cast was good apart from Rachel maybe and the other BSAA member (Don't remember the name)

And I really don't think that Capcom has the balls to leave all the main characters out of future entries (numbered or Revelations) without some closure to their story.

Jawmuncher

I feel like RE8 or 9 will have characters return.
I think capcom even knows they can't get away with new characters every game.
So they have to in a sense get creative and give certain characters reasons for being in such an environment again. RE7 to me I feel is gonna be a lot like RE4, minus the characters that game had of course. This one is mostly fresh story wise and has no ties, then the next much like RE5 is gonna have the bigger ties. Apparently the DLC is already pointing towards that and such.

Now to talk in a more general sense of the future of the series

Part of the problem RE had before 4 came around, was that people were tired of the mechanics and the reasoning's. "Oh we're back in a mansion....again, oh of course there's shitty locks and puzzles just like last time." With 7 they can get away with that, it's been so long since there was something in this style that it's fresh again. But they definitely can't go RE8 is in a mansion again or people are gonna raise some eyebrows. So with 8 I see them turning the formula on it's ahead again. The new style doesn't stop returning characters so long as there is a reasoning. All things considered Ethan seems pretty capable even for being a regular joe. The only difference seems to be he aint busting out melee moves.

Run 2:

Obtain all costumes (2 Chris runs gets all his costumes; already done Jill's)

Do not do a all items run same time as knife, way too much work and will drain healing items as you go too rooms with enemies you otherwise wouldn't need to, or could just run past.

Carbonox

Do not do a all items run same time as knife, way too much work and will drain healing items as you go too rooms with enemies you otherwise wouldn't need to, or could just run past.

Good idea.

I'm currently on my second Chris run now (knife-only) and forgot about getting all items so I'll leave that for another run. Definitely sounds like a clusterfuck if I did it at the same time.

Grisby

Man, trophy-hunting in REmake is a ballache. While you could technically do everything in just 3 playthroughs (good luck), I knew that would do my nut in so I'm doing quicker individual runs a few times (now I can beat the game in like 2 hours+).
Respect. I've never tried to do multiple run throughs of Remake. Like knife only runs and stuff.

If the VA and writing are your biggest issues then RE is not for you.

It didn't have the self awareness of 4, competent cheesiness of 5, or the excuses of RE1. The rest of the games have redeeming factors of one sort or another. This sweet ass however does not.

Every aspect of the game on the writing and directing end is embarrassing, even in comparison with the garbage that was Carla and Simmons in 6. So glad to have 7 in a couple of days to cleanse this out.

Gameplay is ok so far. Dodge is wonky though, to where I've only successfully pulled off twice. The rest seem to happen automatically while moving.

cheez124

Its kinda funny that she is such a bigger voice actress but was horrible as Jill
Meanwhile Patricia Ja Lee hardly has any roles(her biggest being Jill and a Power Ranger) but she's a great actress. She needs a better agent.
i remember reading an interview somewhere that michelle ruff (her revelations VA) was told to dial back the emotion in her performance to make jill sound more "tough", but i can't seem to find it. she's normally a really good VA so i wouldn't be surprised if it were true

that said, i still prefer patricia ja lee. i really wish they would bring her back

AdaWong

I will not withstand this Jessica slander. Her and her all of her cheesy galore and impractical shenanigans are literally the only fun thing about Boringelations.

Not to mention the fact that she couldn't care less about anyone else and doesn't give a flying fuck. What a legendary character; I accept her as Ada's successor if Capcom gets rid of the classic cast as they age.

7 is almost here! I won't buy it at launch but I want to see what people think about the game.

Its kinda funny that she is such a bigger voice actress but was horrible as Jill
Meanwhile Patricia Ja Lee hardly has any roles(her biggest being Jill and a Power Ranger) but she's a great actress. She needs a better agent.
Yeah, I think the same, PJL nailed Jill's role. It would be nice to have her come back in new games but if that's not the case (which is the most probable thing to happen) I hope Ruff performance or a new VA makes a better performance.

7 is almost here! I won't buy it at launch but I want to see what people think about the game.

Yeah, I think the same, PJL nailed Jill's role. It would be nice to have her come back in new games but if that's not the case (which is the most probable thing to happen) I hope Ruff performance or a new VA makes a better performance.
Honestly if we can't get her back, i'd definitely take Laura Bailey(Helena Harper) over Ruff again.
She can do a really tough cold voice but it doesn't come off like reading a phonebook.

Top Bottom