• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any special order I should do the RE6 campaign in? I just finished the prelude. I have to say, and I know you'll all hate me but damn is it a breath of fresh air compared to RE4, the game handles so well and I love the way the game handles your inventory and especially your herbs, the pill idea is just fantastic.

I have no idea why the logo is a giraffe getting a blowjob though, I guess it's the last boss or something.

lilty

Is there any special order I should do the RE6 campaign in? I just finished the prelude. I have to say, and I know you'll all hate me but damn is it a breath of fresh air compared to RE4, the game handles so well and I love the way the game handles your inventory and especially your herbs, the pill idea is just fantastic.

I have no idea why the logo is a giraffe getting a blowjob though, I guess it's the last boss or something.

I'd recommend just playing them in the order they appear on the menu, so Leon > Chris > Jake > Ada. Although I wouldn't really say you need to play them in a certain order aside from playing Ada's last.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'd recommend just playing them in the order they appear on the menu, so Leon > Chris > Jake > Ada. Although I wouldn't really say you need to play them in a certain order aside from playing Ada's last.

OK thanks, I'll do that then. Probably won't play much tonight as my friend wants to do some Overwatch, but hopefully I'll get to it properly soon.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Here's an order I made, the 'Chronological Order' I hear some people like to use on their first time playing:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

tumblr_mkqimsIvr61ruw1vso1_500.gif

Jawmuncher

Here's an order I made, the 'Chronological Order' I hear some people like to use on their first time playing:

Prelude Chapter
Chris Chapter 1
Chris Chapter 2
Jake Chapter 1
Jake Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 1
Leon Chapter 2
Leon Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 3
Chris Chapter 3
Jake Chapter 4
Leon Chapter 4
Chris Chapter 4
Jake Chapter 5
Chris Chapter 5
Leon Chapter 5
Ada's Campaign

Yeah that's how I like to play it. Dipping in everyone's campaign helps the game also in my opinion. Feels better to finish all the campaign's one after the other aside from adas on a first play through

JayEH

OK thanks, I'll do that then. Probably won't play much tonight as my friend wants to do some Overwatch, but hopefully I'll get to it properly soon.

Don't do that, play the order Dusk Golem posted. You'll see why. I played in a similar order for my first run and I had a lot more fun that way.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Don't do that, play the order Dusk Golem posted. You'll see why. I played in a similar order for my first run and I had a lot more fun that way.

Bah, I just did Leon chapter one. I guess I can still go back and go from this order? I enjoyed it though, definitely glad I bought it now.

Jawmuncher

I really hope I don't gotta wait 15 years to see Jake again. I really liked that character. Him and Chris were the biggest highlights of RE6 to me.

JayEH

Bah, I just did Leon chapter one. I guess I can still go back and go from this order? I enjoyed it though, definitely glad I bought it now.

Yeah. Don't worry, I played Leon 1 and 2 before doing the "proper" order.

I really hope I don't gotta wait 15 years to see Jake again. I really liked that character. Him and Chris were the biggest highlights of RE6 to me.

Chris and him never had that talk that Sherry wanted them to have :(

Judging from the secret ending in RE6, you hopefully won't have to wait too long.

Jake is the character that makes the most sense for returning. I'll be shocked if he doesn't.

JayEH

Judging from the secret ending in RE6, you hopefully won't have to wait too long.

Jake is the character that makes the most sense for returning. I'll be shocked if he doesn't.

Well I'll guess we'll see if he (or any of the events of 6) are mentioned in 7 but I have a feeling Capcom will tryto distance themselves from 6 as much as possible.

Jawmuncher

Right now the best idea is that while they keep RE7 horror now. They start a new series alongside it that is action.

Would be a good way to go back and forth. Especially so you aren't sitting there with just one style game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Resident Evil 6 is weird that it's actual story is ehhh, but I actually liked most of the characters. Helena is ehhh for me (she just seems like a slightly better Angela from Degeneration to me, she has the same personality, a sibling issue that Leon comes in on, and they both are voiced by Laura Bailey anyways so they even sound the same) and it was just an okay rendition of Leon (though I do like his new voice actor quite a bit). The villains were also ehh, feel they could of been fleshed out better. However, the rest of the core cast I actually liked a lot. Chris may be my favorite rendition of him in RE6, Piers is actually pretty likable, and Jake and Sherry were actually well-done and I would like to see more of them in the future. Sherry I had hopes for her return, and she easily met them in a way I didn't quite expect, while Jake before release sounded like such a fan-fiction type character, but in practice got through via some hammy/witty writing and Troy Baker's performance, plus his dynamic with Sherry. RE6's story had a lot of problems, but I actually thought Chris/Piers/Jake/Sherry cam out as the best things from it with some pretty fun characterization.

I recall somewhere in a recent interview it being stated that there will be more action in the future, and since Capcom likes trying and experimenting with RE spin-offs, it'll probably surface some more. Whatever RE8 will be will probably influenced a lot by how RE7 does however.

I think what Capcom is going to pull from Umbrella Corps is not that people don't want action-Resident Evil, but I think most don't turn to RE for a competitive shooter. While I think Umbrella Corps is underrated right now by many and not the terrible game people think it is, I will be honest I'm perfectly a-okay if they just learn people are not looking for competitive shooters in the RE scene, and RE has already proven that there is a big market for the type of action-horror co-op game it provided in later entries.

Jawmuncher

Yeah the competitive scene is not where Resident Evil needs to go. MP should just stick to coop. Which has been it's best asset. Everyone talks about playing Outbreak with friends or coop in RE 5 & 6. Competitive modes in RE are always just a nice little diversion. Stuff like RE5 and RE6 are interesting, but they aren't necessarily things that are gonna hold people's interest's for very long. If they want to keep the idea of competitive type modes for RE, they already solved that with Onslaught mode in RE6 and Agent Hunt/Being a zombie in Outbreak.

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Don't do the other order, just do the standard order as seen in the menus. The pseudo-chronological order Dusk made is good if you've already beaten the game, but I think going through each campaign piecemeal does disservice to the good campaigns and emphasizes the bad one's faults.

Jawmuncher

Don't do the other order, just do the standard order as seen in the menus. The pseudo-chronological order Dusk made is good if you've already beaten the game, but I think going through each campaign piecemeal does disservice to the good campaigns and emphasizes the bad one's faults.

I dunno , it feels better to beat them all back to back then to go. Oh just beat Leon's and still have 3 more campaigna from the beginning

I agree that the chapter hopping works better as a way to replay rather than a first time through. The game feels more designed to go campaign at a time. But it's cool the game facilitates both ways.

Akiller

I followed DuskGolem's Order during my first playthrough and i was fine.

I can see that being the plan...back then.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I never really warmed up to Jake as a character. I thought his unique hand-to-hand "weapon" was cool from a gameplay perspective.

& having Helena
bossing Leon around without any explanations or rationale
felt more like a deliberate pisstake than an actual, working plot mechanic. I'd buy
Ada getting away with it, but Helena is just a stranger.
Piers was the only new character I liked. Seemed like a legit successor to Chris as a future captain in the BSAA.

Oh, well. Mercs kicks ass in 6

Baseballjones

Neo Member
Fond memories of RE from day one to present, I had as much fun being the navigator for RE2 with the prima guide as I did playing!!! “what ya buyin stranga!!!”

Resident Evil 6's story is enjoyable in the same way B-movie stories are. I pretty much liked all the characters (I seem to like Helena more than most) besides the villains, the story is a fun if extremely predictable romp, and I enjoy that a horror series actually has an upbeat overall theme behind it.

I never really warmed up to Jake as a character. I thought his unique hand-to-hand "weapon" was cool from a gameplay perspective.

& having Helena
bossing Leon around without any explanations or rationale
felt more like a deliberate pisstake than an actual, working plot mechanic. I'd buy
Ada getting away with it, but Helena is just a stranger.
Piers was the only new character I liked. Seemed like a legit successor to Chris as a future captain in the BSAA.

Oh, well. Mercs kicks ass in 6

Helena getting to her sister took way too long. The devs even kind of admitted that by having Leon get increasingly hostile to following Helena for the entirety of chapter 2. And then Chapter 3 is just moving through catacombs with little story progression. Sherry and Jake Chapter 2 also felt just as meandering only it was much more shit due to the visibility issues, ice slopes, and really bad snow mobile section
Resident Evil 6 has pacing issues out the ass.

Still playing through RE 6 and I finally came up on Chris and Piers.

I don't know if I can do it. I am fully reminded why I was left with such a sour taste after last time I played the game. If Leon and Helena's campaign is an 8 to 8.5/10 and Sherry and Jake's is 7 to 7.5/10, then Chris and Piers is a goddamn 4/10. It's overly loud with very poor sound mixing compared to Leon/Helena's campaign, rockets are exploding fucking everywhere blinding the screen, you have to hold points for an arbitrary amount of time, the story is really annoying ("ALPHA TEAM! MEET AT RALLY POINT BRAVO! WHISKY TANGO FOXTROT!"), I'm saving hostages from a building full of shootbang enemies and have to go floor by floor getting rid of all of them to move on, there are moments when the camera control is ripped from me and I have to move to a certain position to get it back, the voice acting seems to have taken a nose dive (it was never brilliant, but it was mostly competent with a select number of scene coming together very nicely), and any pretense of horror is gone (it isn't even horror themed: It's a military shooter with body horror). It's loud, it's dumb, it's poorly designed, and I may just skip Ada's campaign because of it and go right to RE 5.

If Resident Evil ever goes the RE 6 route again, they should just focus on a Leon/Helena type campaign. I thoroughly enjoyed that campaign despite some reservations.

I agree that the overall stuff with Chris and Piers is pure cheese that I definitely find enjoyment from

Finn: *Moved to tears after Chris giving an epic "We're all going home together" speech with triumphant music* "Is he [Chris] always this awesome?"

Piers: *Eye roll*

However, the moment to moment stuff is awful.

Still playing through RE 6 and I finally came up on Chris and Piers.

I don't know if I can do it. I am fully reminded why I was left with such a sour taste after last time I played the game. If Leon and Helena's campaign is an 8 to 8.5/10 and Sherry and Jake's is 7 to 7.5/10, then Chris and Piers is a goddamn 4/10. It's overly loud with very poor sound mixing compared to Leon/Helena's campaign, rockets are exploding fucking everywhere blinding the screen, you have to hold points for an arbitrary amount of time, the story is really annoying ("ALPHA TEAM! MEET AT RALLY POINT BRAVO! WHISKY TANGO FOXTROT!"), I'm saving hostages from a building full of shootbang enemies and have to go floor by floor getting rid of all of them to move on, there are moments when the camera control is ripped from me and I have to move to a certain position to get it back, the voice acting seems to have taken a nose dive (it was never brilliant, but it was mostly competent with a select number of scene coming together very nicely), and any pretense of horror is gone (it isn't even horror themed: It's a military shooter with body horror). It's loud, it's dumb, it's poorly designed, and I may just skip Ada's campaign because of it and go right to RE 5.

If Resident Evil ever goes the RE 6 route again, they should just focus on a Leon/Helena type campaign. I thoroughly enjoyed that campaign despite some reservations.

You pretty much described exactly why I hated RE6.

At least the other campaigns still pretended to be horror-themed, especially Leon's/Helena's. I liked the settings in Leon's, they were at least somewhat atmospheric, like the cemetery and the church. But Chris's campaign felt like a SWAT game, truly the lowest point in the entire series for me.

I liked all of the characters though. Jake, Sherry, even Helena, I felt had pretty enjoyable dialog/story bits.

I thought Chris's campaign was easily the best. His encounters make full use of the mechanics since the J'Avo are way more interesting enemies to fight than the zombies, because they have such diverse mutations and ranged capabilities. His setpieces were the best as well like the snake in the apartment complex, and I liked the neon city at night settings of his environments. Also his campaign has the least amount of forced walking and poorly used downtime.

Finished Rev 2

With the "good" ending

Oh my god.

Why didn't Capcom just make this game RE7?

It's so damned perfect. I had a smile on my face the whole time, through the last boss fight to the ending. Whoever wrote the character dialogue or whoever translated it to english was a damned master.

Moira is the best. The absolute best.

Now I'm looking through the Extras menu and on top of finishing Raid mode there is a shitload of work left to be done. Bless this game.

I thought Chris's campaign was easily the best. His encounters make full use of the mechanics since the J'Avo are way more interesting enemies to fight than the zombies, because they have such diverse mutations and ranged capabilities. His setpieces were the best as well like the snake in the apartment complex, and I liked the neon city at night settings of his environments. Also his campaign has the least amount of forced walking and poorly used downtime.

Because there is zero downtime. The first two chapters are a ceaseless procession of shooting galleries, each more bombastic than the last. Problem is that after two, two and a half hours straight it just turns into noise. Holding this area for a blast charge blends into holding that area for a blast charge. The highlight of it all was the two massive BOW fight, but I already did that in Sherry's campaign. The whole thing is so forgettable. That's not true for Leon or Sherry. Honestly, I take back what I said about the pacing issues for Leon/Helena's campaign: I prefer the down times and slower pace to the ever generic "Hold out until X arrives" or "Hold this position until X happens" with the ever present "Generic military talk" over the radio as rockets blind the screen, annoying as fuck snipers chip away at me (and I'm playing as Chris so I can't snipe back), and every enemy has a machine gun making me play much more conservatively than I'd like due to annoying chip damage. Some of that was present in Leon's campaign, but it just seems so much more prevalent in Chris'.

I'm on Chapter 3 now, so hopefully things get better.

As a side note: Do people really dislike Helena that much?

Mr_Zombie

It will still be mostly horror-themed military shooter (or at least more shoot-bang than two other campaigns) so it depends on what you expect. There will be some more downtime, an interesting boss or two and (over time) less military talk.

It's not that people dislike her, it's rather that the plot doesn't give her enough reason to even be there. Yes, she's partially responsible for the outbreak and she has some backstory but... that's it. That's her whole story. For two chapters her whole shtick is "I can't tell you right now, we have to get to the cathedral", that later changes to "I can't tell you right now, we have to take Debrah out of here". From chapter 3 and on, she's just there as a co-op partner: she has no connection to any other character in the game, her character doesn't develop, and there's no real conclusion to her story. Sheva in RE5 was in similar position, but at least that game needed her for the whole "partner" theme to work.

However, Helena's design and moveset is superb. :)

Because there is zero downtime. The first two chapters are a ceaseless procession of shooting galleries, each more bombastic than the last. Problem is that after two, two and a half hours straight it just turns into noise. Holding this area for a blast charge blends into holding that area for a blast charge. The highlight of it all was the two massive BOW fight, but I already did that in Sherry's campaign. The whole thing is so forgettable. That's not true for Leon or Sherry. Honestly, I take back what I said about the pacing issues for Leon/Helena's campaign: I prefer the down times and slower pace to the ever generic "Hold out until X arrives" or "Hold this position until X happens" with the ever present "Generic military talk" over the radio as rockets blind the screen, annoying as fuck snipers chip away at me (and I'm playing as Chris so I can't snipe back), and every enemy has a machine gun making me play much more conservatively than I'd like due to annoying chip damage. Some of that was present in Leon's campaign, but it just seems so much more prevalent in Chris'.

I love downtime in games, don't get me wrong, and I'm not saying Chris's campaign is a lesson in great pacing either. But Resident Evil 6 does one thing very well: crazy intense action against diverse hoards of enemies, and it does one thing very poorly: every thing else. Sadly the downtime falls in the every thing else for me in this game, since it's mostly tedious exposition while slowalking or doing menial key fetching. It's not like classic Resident Evil where wandering around exploring has a larger place in the game design since route planning, exploratjon, and resource management are constant factors. Here you're just walking through linear environments, and I felt Leon had some of the drabber ones from and art direction perspective.

And yes, Helena is arguably the worst character. In anything. Ever.

Mr_Zombie

But Resident Evil 6 does one thing very well: crazy intense action against diverse hoards of enemies, and it does one thing very poorly: every thing else. Sadly the downtime falls in the every thing else for me in this game, since it's mostly tedious exposition while slowalking or doing menial key fetching.

Eh, I disagree. I recently replayed some random chapters and from what I played I can say that the game manages (not always, but often enough) to nicely mix high-tension set-pieces/ battle arenas with downtime. Yes, that downtime is spent on exposition talks (without the slow walking - outside Leon ch1, that happens very rarely in the game), key fetching or exploring buildings/corridors with just one or two enemies... but it works. Sherry ch1 is a great example of it where the game puts you on a rollercoaster - for every set piece / boss battle, you have some slow time to catch a breath, reload your weapons, check the rooms for items etc.

Did anybody else here randomly pick Sherry for Jake's chapter 3 and go, "goddamn!"

My first play through I picked her on a whim, thought what the hell, and yeah.

Just got the xb1 version and I'm thinking of doing a run with all the alt-characters (Helena, Piers, Sherry) just to see how it goes.

Sherry and Moira for Rev 3

Bladenic

Chris has the horrific helicopter battles. Truly terrible in every way. I honestly remember thinking Jake's campaign was the one that was sort of the best paced in terms of highs and low, and I don't recall any lows that reached Leon or Chris. But I don't recall having issues in the snow mountain like other people.

RSB

Banned
Just got the xb1 version and I'm thinking of doing a run with all the alt-characters (Helena, Piers, Sherry) just to see how it goes.

Sherry and Moira for Rev 3
I'd love that.

Sherry, Moira and Jake are great. I really hope we see more of them in future games.

Chris has the horrific helicopter battles. Truly terrible in every way. I honestly remember thinking Jake's campaign was the one that was sort of the best paced in terms of highs and low, and I don't recall any lows that reached Leon or Chris. But I don't recall having issues in the snow mountain like other people.

Helicopter battles did suck. Jake 2 tho...

Damn I'm still just gushing over Rev 2's ending.

Pretty dope, right?

It could have been better for sure, but it was a pleasant surprise how good it turned out to be regardless. I'd like to see them expand on the combat for a sequel. Gotta keep that sweet dodge tho

Mr_Zombie

To this day I still say gameplay holds Rev 2 back. That and it's budget. Could have been so much more.

Yes. I really liked the asynchronous co-op idea (although I played through the most game alone, so I can't say how fun it is to play as Natalia through the whole game - but this is how I think RE0 should work from the start) and RPG mechanics. But when it comes to gameplay, it just wasn't as polished as RE4, 5 or 6. Enemies just weren't fun to fight against. Aren't CGI more pricier to make?

Also, I'm really surprised Revelations 2 has so many CGI cut-scenes. I could understand Rev1, since that was a 3DS game and the console doesn't have that much power and prerendered cut-scenes were probably easier to do than trying to squeeze that power from the console to render quality characters close-ups. But Revelations 2 was released on past- and current-gen consoles, as well as PC, and none of the mainline RE game released in the last several years relied on CGI cut-scenes as much as Revelations 2 (well, except RE0, but fuck RE0), including CODE: Veronica and REmake.

And I know this is probably budget-related, but how on earth so many assets borrowed from RE6 (locations, characters, enemies, items) could look so bad in Rev2? Those are the same models and textures, in a game using the same engine. And yet Rev2 had this distinct look that made characters and stages from RE6 look different... worse.

I dunno, I thought Revelation 2's gameplay was fine. I really don't see what was wrong with it. I liked the take on co-op it did as well.

Top Bottom