• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Look at the painting nearby.

You have the right idea. However, take a closer look at a nearby painting and observe where the swords have struck.

Don't think about the keys, focus on the painting.
Ahh, thanks!!

This is something I thought widescreen ruined for me. In widescreen, it's nearly front and center. in 4:3, it doesn't look particularly significant.
I have the Original Screen which is probably why it wasn't a significant sight lol

EDIT:
I've always seen that painting, but never thought it would've been something important to interact with.

Finished my Chris run on Normal. I skipped the last cutscene so I didn't see what happened.

Why did
Tyrant not appear on the helipad?? I had saved all my magnum ammo for that last fight and i just launched the flares and that was it

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This is something I thought widescreen ruined for me. In widescreen, it's nearly front and center. in 4:3, it doesn't look particularly significant.

Hah, never thought about something like that. It's pretty much reflex in an RE game for me to consult to paintings all the time.

deeptech

Finished my Chris run on Normal. I skipped the last cutscene so I didn't see what happened.

Why did
Tyrant not appear on the helipad?? I had saved all my magnum ammo for that last fight and i just launched the flares and that was it

You need to save Rebecca IIRC , in order for Tyrant to appear for final fight.

I just did my 2nd Chris run where i didn't save anyone and i didn't get the Tyrant at the end. First time i saved both Rebecca and Jill and Tyrant appeared.

You need to save Rebecca IIRC , in order for Tyrant to appear for final fight.

I just did my 2nd Chris run where i didn't save anyone and i didn't get the Tyrant at the end. First time i saved both Rebecca and Jill and Tyrant appeared.

Oh my god! I heard her scream in the mansion and then forgot about her lol! I wonder if it's too late to go back -_-

Where is she?

Am I missing something hidden in the room where the elevator takes you to Lisa's lair in the tunnels? It's the room with the ladder and the trash compactor.

I cannot get it to turn green and I've looked everywhere for a hidden herb or dagger or something.

Mr_Zombie

I think I found a glitch in the dog corridor. When you activate the first dog jumping through the window scene and instead of running forward (to activate the second dog), you turn around and enter the green corridor again, the second dog won't ever appear.

Oh, and my favorite thing? This guy right here:

3E8311126E004FB12DD77D492E173737D7FA962B

Trapped behind a dresser for the entire game. No matter how much you try, you can't get me!

Yep, I did that too. Only I didn't kill him, so he was still just a zombie. One zombie less to worry about. :D

Fucking sharks... and if they ever REmake 2 lose those loading screen doors, such a pointless addition in this day and age.

Eh, I like those loading screen doors, or at least didn't mind them. They give you few seconds to unwind, take a drink etc. Of course it would be better if Capcom allowed you to skip them (like they did in old RE PC ports), but whatever.

One thing I learned recently is there's another room in the game which is 3D rendered. One of the mansion rooms with crows in it. This room:

It's just a shame that some of those textures are so low-res, like that window border or the curtain. :/

Wasp

One thing I learned recently is there's another room in the game which is 3D rendered. One of the mansion rooms with crows in it. This room:

I noticed it looked sharper and better than many of the other rooms, but I couldn't tell that is actually real-time rendered. I guess it's an indication of how the mansion would look if they did that to every room in the game. A shame they didn't have the resources to do that (I assume that's the reason why only a few select rooms got the full 3D treatment anyway).
Just out of curiosity, how did Capcom create the original REmake (and also the original Resident Evil)? Did they create every room in 3D using polygons, obviously using a much more powerful machine than the GameCube, then take a screenshot at specific angles?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
FINALLY got to get started, I just moved and had no internets. Game is just as good as ever, hasn't aged a bit. Doing a Jill run on normal difficulty. I wanna get the platinum at some point, are there any recommendations for what trophies I should aim for in this run? I know it requires a fair few playthroughs so if I can get 1 out of the way right now that would be handy.

Anyone?

Why am I still tempted to boot this up, when I've literally done everything in it? XD I've got all the achievements, I can't think of much reason to go back... I really need that RE0 remaster lol

I've only done one run so far but that was a Jill run on Normal. Basically, I got the best ending and got 100% exploration.

The other stuff to do later includes:
- worst Jill ending.
- best and worst Chris endings.

Combined with:
- knife only run
- speedrun
- invisible enemies run
- no save run
- real survival run

Why am I still tempted to boot this up, when I've literally done everything in it? XD I've got all the achievements, I can't think of much reason to go back...
You could still unlock every ending (see Gallery) - each character has 6 different ones.
In 2 for each one you have to let Barry/Rebecca be killed by the Tyrant at the heliport.

-MD-

Why am I still tempted to boot this up, when I've literally done everything in it? XD I've got all the achievements, I can't think of much reason to go back...

Remember back when achievements weren't a thing and we played games because they were fun? That's a reason to go back.

Mr_Zombie

FINALLY got to get started, I just moved and had no internets. Game is just as good as ever, hasn't aged a bit. Doing a Jill run on normal difficulty. I wanna get the platinum at some point, are there any recommendations for what trophies I should aim for in this run? I know it requires a fair few playthroughs so if I can get 1 out of the way right now that would be handy.

Most achievements you will get automatically by simply playing the game, because they are story oriented or you obtain them for defeating enemies (First Kills Are Special, Who's the Hunter Now?, Seeing Red) or bosses (Not Waiting to Exhale, Giant Snake Got Nothin', Deep Sixed, Spider Sense, Grave Digger). Keep in mind that you might skip both Black Tiger and first Yawn boss fight but then you won't get achievements for them (Not Waiting to Exhale and Spider Sense).

There are few achievements that require rescuing Barry, Chris and/or Richard. You may also hunt for achievement for finishing the game without rescuing Chris and Barry, but it's not worth it right now (3 achievements vs 1).

You also get one achievement for dying - but you will surely do this at least once anyway :p

If you finish the game as Jill on Normal, at the end of the game you will get 4 achievements: for finishing the game as Jill and for finishing the game on very easy, easy and normal difficulty.

Achievements that you can also get on your first playthrough but that require some more work are:
- Every Nook and Cranny - visit all places on all maps and pick up every single item; basically, before leaving an area check on map if all rooms on the map are marked as green. If they are red - that means there's something to pick up there.
- Racing and Pacing - finish the game in five hours (I doubt you will get it on your first try, especially if this is your first time with the game and you also want to get Every Nook and Cranny, but good luck :))
- Break Out the Marshmallows! - burn up two zombies at the smae time with the lighter

Other achievements require you to either play the game as Chris, play without rescuing anyone (for both Chris and Jill), play using special modes or doing speedrun (under 3h), knife only runs or no save runs.

In 2 for each one you have to let Barry/Rebecca be killed by the Tyrant at the heliport.

That's possible? D:

Neff

The more I play this, the more I think it's been less semi-lucrative port endeavour, and more a 'how to make classic RE' school for Capcom's staff. To me it seems like the only explanation for spending so much time and care recreating such a big, decadent title. I'm pretty sure with what Capcom's staff will have learned after taking REmake apart and putting it back together again so extensively and lovingly, they'd have the know-how to create a solid, brand new old-style RE title, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the developmental fruits of this port benefited RE7 in some way.

Am I missing something hidden in the room where the elevator takes you to Lisa's lair in the tunnels? It's the room with the ladder and the trash compactor.

I cannot get it to turn green and I've looked everywhere for a hidden herb or dagger or something.
Right beside the ladder is a hand gun magazine. It's very difficult to see, but it's there.

Kuraudo

Banned
You also get one achievement for dying - but you will surely do this at least once anyway :p

Completed my first playthrough with Jill on normal without dying. I'm going to follow it up with a Hard playthrough, which I'm sure I'll die a few times in, but the delicious irony of the unwon achievement's name is holding me back :p

Bl@de

I'd be absolutely stunned to be honest.

It would be a miracle. Capcom already said Revelations is the one with horror focus (lol) and the mainline series will continue the re6 path ... Don't get your hopes up people. Classic RE is dead. Forever. And nothing else

Yep. Start over
Thanks. I guess I'll be careful in the kitchen now.

I only realized that setting the game to the new controls leaves the d-pad on tank controls. That's kind of nice if someone wants to be able to switch between the two modes depending on the situation.

Neff

It would be a miracle. Capcom already said Revelations is the one with horror focus (lol) and the mainline series will continue the re6 path ... Don't get your hopes up people. Classic RE is dead. Forever. And nothing else

It seems to fit a change in thinking on Capcom's part after RE6 received such a divisive reception. RE6 sold well, but disillusioned a lot of core fans. Capcom is smart enough to know that it's those core fans which have sustained the franchise for nearly 19 years, and that the dudebro co-op impulse purchase audience aren't by any means future proof. Personally, I love both modern and old RE and I'll be happy with whichever direction they go, but I think that we're going to see the mainline series attempt to return to its roots in some way, if only to secure the franchise's future and define it, and I also think that this remaster project has something to do with that.

And then there's this

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I've only done one run so far but that was a Jill run on Normal. Basically, I got the best ending and got 100% exploration.

The other stuff to do later includes:
- worst Jill ending.
- best and worst Chris endings.

Combined with:
- knife only run
- speedrun
- invisible enemies run
- no save run
- real survival run

Most achievements you will get automatically by simply playing the game, because they are story oriented or you obtain them for defeating enemies (First Kills Are Special, Who's the Hunter Now?, Seeing Red) or bosses (Not Waiting to Exhale, Giant Snake Got Nothin', Deep Sixed, Spider Sense, Grave Digger). Keep in mind that you might skip both Black Tiger and first Yawn boss fight but then you won't get achievements for them (Not Waiting to Exhale and Spider Sense).

There are few achievements that require rescuing Barry, Chris and/or Richard. You may also hunt for achievement for finishing the game without rescuing Chris and Barry, but it's not worth it right now (3 achievements vs 1).

If you finish the game as Jill on Normal, at the end of the game you will get 4 achievements: for finishing the game as Jill and for finishing the game on very easy, easy and normal difficulty.

Achievements that you can also get on your first playthrough but that require some more work are:
- Every Nook and Cranny - visit all places on all maps and pick up every single item; basically, before leaving an area check on map if all rooms on the map are marked as green. If they are red - that means there's something to pick up there.
- Racing and Pacing - finish the game in five hours (I doubt you will get it on your first try, especially if this is your first time with the game and you also want to get Every Nook and Cranny, but good luck :))
- Break Out the Marshmallows! - burn up two zombies at the smae time with the lighter

Other achievements require you to either play the game as Chris, play without rescuing anyone (for both Chris and Jill), play using special modes or doing speedrun (under 3h), knife only runs or no save runs.

Thank you both very much! I actually tried twice now to torch 2 zombie's at the same time but couldn't get it to work, I don't remember it being this difficult on the Gamecube.

Think I'll try for the 100% and saving everyone trophies.

6 endings for each??
Got a list?

All survive
Only player character survives, mansion blows up
Only player character survives, mansion doesn't blow up
Both playable characters survive, mansion blows up
Both playable characters survive, mansion doesn't blow up
Playable character and his partner character survive

Remember back when achievements weren't a thing and we played games because they were fun? That's a reason to go back.

Well I kinda got my share of that too, lol I think I really got this game down to a T where it really doesn't have much left to offer me at the moment, that's why I'm itching for another RE game to play rather. Looking up gamestops to see if anyone has any RE0 Archives, but there's kind of a blizzard going on in my area right now.

I got RE2, 3 and CV on my PS3...but I really wish I had the n64 version of RE2 since that seems to be the best version.

If I use the canteen to set dead zombies on fire, will that effect getting the Knife Only achievement? I'm doing one with Chris on Very Easy, and I've already stabbed a couple of zombies to death.

Also, did a no-save speed run on Very Easy with Jill. Got 2:41, and the worst ending.

Markitron

Well I kinda got my share of that too, lol I think I really got this game down to a T where it really doesn't have much left to offer me at the moment, that's why I'm itching for another RE game to play rather. Looking up gamestops to see if anyone has any RE0 Archives, but there's kind of a blizzard going on in my area right now.

I got RE2, 3 and CV on my PS3...but I really wish I had the n64 version of RE2 since that seems to be the best version.

The Dreamcast version of RE2 was supposed to be quite good as well IIRC

Markitron

Maybe visually, but didn't the N64 version have the most content?

Yea, from RE2's wiki page

The Nintendo 64 version of Resident Evil 2 differs most from the other releases is the first of very few games released for the console to have FMVs despite the limited storage space on the cartridge. Over the course of twelve months and with a budget of $1 million,[72] Resident Evil 2 was ported to the console by a staff of about 20 employees from Capcom Production Studio 3, Angel Studios and Factor 5.[1][73] This version offers features that were not included on any other system, such as alternate costumes, the ability to adjust the degree of violence and to change the blood color, a randomizer to place items differently during each playthrough, and a more responsive first-person control scheme.[11][73][74] Additionally, the port features 16 new in-game documents known as the "Ex Files",[11][74] written by Tetsuro Oyama.[52] Hidden throughout the four scenarios, they reveal new information about the series' lore and connect the story of Resident Evil 2 to those of the other installments.[11][74] The Nintendo 64 version adjusts its display resolution depending on the number of polygonal models currently on screen, and supports the console's Expansion Pak accessory for a maximum resolution of 640×480 during gameplay.[75][76] Other visual enhancements include smoother character animations and sharper, perspective-corrected textures for the 3D models.[75] The music of the Nintendo 64 version utilizes Dolby Surround, and was converted by Chris Hülsbeck, Rudolf Stember and Thomas Engel.[73] The team reworked the sound set from the ground up to provide each instrument with a higher sample rate than on the PlayStation, thus resulting in higher-quality music.[77] Some features from the other enhanced ports based on the Dual Shock Ver. do not appear in the Nintendo 64 version, such as the "Extreme Battle" minigame

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Does anyone else find it ironic that it is impossible to see the canon events of the mansion incident
(where Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca survive and escape with Brad on the helicopter) in any playthrough? With Chris, Barry is always missing, and with Jill, Rebecca is missing. You'd think they'd at least show up at the end to imply that Chris/Jill was exploring the mansion alongside you, both games happened, and the non player character wasn't just locked up the entire time.

I did a knife-only run today. Since I heard people say a knife-only run is very easy on very easy difficulty I decided to do it on easy to make it a bit more challenging. It actually feels like a normal run except for the
crimson head boss fight and the second snake boss fight.
And holy bananas does those fights become tedious when you can only use the knife. I feel ashamed I had to switch to alternate controls for the
crimson head boss
as I wasn't able to evade quickly otherwise.

Anyway, definitely not doing a knife only run ever again. I'm surprised the run was actually under 3 hours, but I guess I save a lot of time by ignoring so much of the items and rooms.

I noticed it looked sharper and better than many of the other rooms, but I couldn't tell that is actually real-time rendered. I guess it's an indication of how the mansion would look if they did that to every room in the game. A shame they didn't have the resources to do that (I assume that's the reason why only a few select rooms got the full 3D treatment anyway).
I thought this room looked unusually good. I guess this is why.

If I use the canteen to set dead zombies on fire, will that effect getting the Knife Only achievement? I'm doing one with Chris on Very Easy, and I've already stabbed a couple of zombies to death.

Also, did a no-save speed run on Very Easy with Jill. Got 2:41, and the worst ending.
I'm pretty sure you can't burn zombies on a knife only run. Like stomping crawling zombies or using defensive items, all guides point to it voiding the run.

Kuraudo

Banned
Does anyone else find it ironic that it is impossible to see the canon events of the mansion incident
(where Chris, Jill, Barry, and Rebecca survive and escape with Brad on the helicopter) in any playthrough? With Chris, Barry is always missing, and with Jill, Rebecca is missing. You'd think they'd at least show up at the end to imply that Chris/Jill was exploring the mansion alongside you, both games happened, and the non player character wasn't just locked up the entire time.

The simplest explanation is that Rebecca spends the whole day after RE0 wandering around the forest and never finds the mansion. Jill's scenario and best ending is therefore the true canon :)

All survive
Only player character survives, mansion blows up
Only player character survives, mansion doesn't blow up
Both playable characters survive, mansion blows up
Both playable characters survive, mansion doesn't blow up
Playable character and his partner character survive
But for the two bolded conditions you unfortunately can't start the self-destruct sequence yourself (unlike in the original RE1).
So to achieve them you must save Rebecca from the Hunter/give Barry his gun back and make them initiate the self-destruction - then let them die against the Tyrant on the heliport.

6 endings for each??
Got a list?
Excerpt from gfaqs ending faq:
==============
Jill's Endings
==============

BEST
- Make sure to give Barry back his gun when given the option, and make sure he
never dies, also rescue Chris.

Chris(1)
dies at the heliport, also rescue Chris.

Chris(2)
- Make sure NOT to give Barry back his gun when given the option, also rescue
Chris.

Barry
never dies, also DON'T rescue Chris.

BAD(1)
dies at the heliport, also DON'T rescue Chris.

BAD(2)
- Make sure NOT to give Barry back his gun when given the option, also DON'T
rescue Chris.

===============
Chris's Endings
===============

BEST
- Make sure to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream, and make sure she never
dies, also rescue Jill.

Jill(1)
- Make sure to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream, and make sure she dies
at the heliport, also rescue Jill.

Jill(2)
- Make sure NOT to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream, also rescue Jill.

Rebecca
- Make sure to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream, and make sure she never
dies, also DON'T rescue Jill.

BAD(1)
- Make sure to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream, and make sure she dies
at the heliport, also DON'T rescue Jill.

BAD(2)
- Make sure NOT to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream, also DON'T rescue
Jill.

=====================
Both Character Ending
=====================

This ending can be done for both characters and I don't really count it
as an ending, but if you want to see it, here is how you do it.

Jill Game
doesn't die at that point. Then when there is a time limit later let it run
out. It doesn't matter whether or not you rescue Chris.

Chris Game
- Make sure to rescue Rebecca when you hear her scream. Then when there is a
time limit later let it run out. It doesn't matter whether or not you rescue
Jill.

But for the two bolded conditions you unfortunately can't start the self-destruct sequence yourself (unlike in the original RE1).

You couldn't activate it yourself, it was the same as REmake, the only difference was that there simply wasn't any ending were your partner died while the mansion still blew up.

wait, the Jill endings aren't affected by saving or not saving Richard, the snake/serum guy?

They're not, saving Richard from the poison only affects wether he'll help you against Yawn, (Which will get you the assault shotgun.) or whether Barry carries you to the save room after you've been poisoned by Yawn yourself.

Reached the Residence on my Real Survivor playthrough as Jill. Not bad so far but damn you really feel the pain in not having safe boxes connected. I'm spending extra time just thinking what to take with me before I head off the door and many times in the beginning had me back tracking alot mainly because I'm keeping health with me. 2 bites results in danger so far from what I'm seeing but other then that, it's still damn fun.

Top Bottom