• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Bulbasaur

Banned
Having only ever played RE 4 and not having a ps4 I decided to grab the wii edition and play it on my wii u. I'm apprehensive and I know I'll be looking online for a guide so I know what expect!

ShinAmano

Any way to play without the explosive zombie in a third play through while keeping the other unlocks?

Can you kill him without dying and that os the end of it?

Was doing a speed run and he popped out behind a shelf in the verydark room near yawn...ugh.

You can have either the Jill sandwitch scene or the scene where Barry gives you acid rounds. You can't have both in one playthrough.
Is the "Jill Sandwich" scene the one where
Barry saves Jill from the room after getting the shotgun
? If so, then I saw a livestream of someone (2:45:10, and then 2:45:30) getting both today! He got the acid rounds right after when he ran back to the main hall.

Mr_Zombie

Is the "Jill Sandwich" scene the one where
Barry saves Jill from the room after getting the shotgun
? If so, then I saw a livestream of someone (2:45:10, and then 2:45:30) getting both today! He got the acid rounds right after when he ran back to the main hall.

Yes, that's the scene... but how's that possible? D:
I thought you can only get one scene. In my playthrough Barry gave me acid rounds but never showed up when I was trapped in the room with descending ceiling. That bastard.

Yes, that's the scene... but how's that possible? D:
I thought you can only get one scene. In my playthrough Barry gave me acid rounds but never showed up when I was trapped in the room with descending ceiling.
Maybe it only works if you get the shotgun first. You'd think Barry would know how to prioritize.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah, barry left me to die on my first playthrough because I saw him in the main room and got acid rounds. What a dick. Shotgun was afterwards.

I had the Jill Sandwich and Acid Round scene in one play through, but that was on very easy, on normal I only got the Jill Sandwich.

That has nothing to do with the difficulty though but rather the path you take, in which order you do things.

There's a flowchart for the exact triggers of events for the original PS1 game, but with REmake it's a little different sometimes. Either way, difficulty does not factor in any of the story events.

Bl@de

Hey guys. I don't want to play the game 10 times right now (will do that anyway over the next years).

A couple questions for trophys:
- Are speedruns for "Once again" and "New Game" treated the same in regards to trophies?
- Does difficulty count?
- Is a knife only run in 3h possible without a lot of pain (I know the game by heart)? I'm not into speedruns but I'd like to have REmaster as the only Platinum game next to RE4 in my Steam library^^

Maybe it only works if you get the shotgun first. You'd think Barry would know how to prioritize.

Yes, Jeff yesterday on the livestream went for the shotgun first and triggered the Jill Sandwich cutscene then he immediately went to the main hall which triggered the fizz of can cutscene. Both of which I never got in my first playthrough lol, I already had the broken shotgun and I never got back to the main hall except for way later in the game.

Hey guys. I don't want to play the game 10 times right now (will do that anyway over the next years).

A couple questions for trophys:
- Are speedruns for "Once again" and "New Game" treated the same in regards to trophies?
- Does difficulty count?
- Is a knife only run in 3h possible without a lot of pain (I know the game by heart)? I'm not into speedruns but I'd like to have REmaster as the only Platinum game next to RE4 in my Steam library^^

1) Yeah, you can do speedruns for whichever mode you like however with once again you can open up costumes. Be careful though, if you beat he game with each character twice (to unlock all costumes) you'll get that one dangerous zombie mode enabled automatically with no way to disable it (unless mods of course)

2) For speedruns? No. They only count if you want to play the game on normal, easy or very easy (each difficulity has a trophy). After beating the game once you unlock hard and real survivor mode (which is hard mode but the storage boxes are not connected so any item you leave there and it'll stay there for good) Real survivor mode if played can also unlock the hard trophy as well so, two birds with one stone. Invisible Enemy Mode unlocks after beating Hard/Real Survivor if im not mistaken and with IEM you can choose difficulty from very easy to hard and they don't count so you can play on any difficulty.

3) It is very doable but you gotta know the game by heart and some of the speed running tricks, I recommend you watch a speedrun first, a big tip is to always skip the cutscenes as soon as they happen. Also, difficulty plays a big part in how doable it is under 3 hours. My advice is to do it on Easy which even then was abit problematic at some parts mainly the
crimson elder took me a few tries and hunters at the second half of the game, damn their one hit kills. Both characters can skip Black Tiger boss battle (The big spider) and Jill can skip Plant 42 if you make a V-Jolt. The first Yawn encounter(big ass snake) where the Death Mask is can also be skipped.

So I should be doing the knife run with Chris, right? I started with Jill but then I remembered some things I read on here. I know Chris has more health and I assume his knife does more damage? It seems like he runs faster than Jill too.

Yes, you should. Chris has a different type of knife which is stronger if i'm not mistaken and he can take more hits than Jill.

I knew I couldn't expect for this game to run as well on PS3, but I'm still very disappointed by the game's shit framerate. The cut scenes are pretty bad in particular. Why is this happening in a game with pre-rendered backgrounds?

Bl@de

1) Yeah, you can do speedruns for whichever mode you like however with once again you can open up costumes. Be careful though, if you beat he game with each character twice (to unlock all costumes) you'll get that one dangerous zombie mode enabled automatically with no way to disable it (unless mods of course)

2) For speedruns? No. They only count if you want to play the game on normal, easy or very easy (each difficulity has a trophy). After beating the game once you unlock hard and real survivor mode (which is hard mode but the storage boxes are not connected so any item you leave there and it'll stay there for good) Real survivor mode if played can also unlock the hard trophy as well so, two birds with one stone. Invisible Enemy Mode unlocks after beating Hard/Real Survivor if im not mistaken and with IEM you can choose difficulty from very easy to hard and they don't count so you can play on any difficulty.

3) It is very doable but you gotta know the game by heart and some of the speed running tricks, I recommend you watch a speedrun first, a big tip is to always skip the cutscenes as soon as they happen. Also, difficulty plays a big part in how doable it is under 3 hours. My advice is to do it on Easy which even then was abit problematic at some parts mainly the
crimson elder took me a few tries and hunters at the second half of the game, damn their one hit kills. Both characters can skip Black Tiger boss battle (The big spider) and Jill can skip Plant 42 if you make a V-Jolt. The first Yawn encounter(big ass snake) where the Death Mask is can also be skipped.

1) Well that's crappy ... so you can never play the game again in it's original state? That's crappy especially with Steam Cloud. Seems like a stupid capcom idea to don't allow turning it off

2) Already beat the game 2 days ago in 7h 30min (and on Gamecube a couple of times in 2002-2005) for my first run on normal Chris. He has the stronger knife and more health but I guess Jill would be faster because
of the V-Jolt
. Very Easy/Jill should be the lamest but best mode for speedruns because of
the reduced enemy count

Let's see. Maybe I watch a couple of runs and then try a "Under 3h hours - only knife - no safes - 100% ending - Jill" run^^ Should be possible.

Meltsi

Neo Member
I'm trying to do every nook trophy, seems like jill would be the best choise since she can carry more stuff + she can pick locks too. Need to remember save richard too to get that perfect ending

1) Well that's crappy ... so you can never play the game again in it's original state? That's crappy especially with Steam Cloud. Seems like a stupid capcom idea to don't allow turning it off

2) Already beat the game 2 days ago in 7h 30min (and on Gamecube a couple of times in 2002-2005) for my first run on normal Chris. He has the stronger knife and more health but I guess Jill would be faster because
of the V-Jolt
. Very Easy/Jill should be the lamest but best mode for speedruns because of
the reduced enemy count

Let's see. Maybe I watch a couple of runs and then try a "Under 3h hours - only knife - no safes - 100% ending - Jill" run^^ Should be possible.

1) I think it has to do with the save file like if you saved the clear game save 4 times on the same one I think it triggers that mode but I'm not sure if it has to do with the saves or the number of times you beat the game with the characters.

2) Yeah, Jill is the way to go for speedruns that's for sure but for knife runs it's Chris. Also, always go for the bad ending that way you shave off time by
not having a rooftop battle with the Tyrant, Getting Barry's magnum by not giving it to him when playing as Jill and that is an insta kill weapon on all enemies including the Tyrant and of course not saving Jill/Chris depending on who you're playing as so, that's alot of time you're saving in the long run.

KyleCross

I wonder if we'll ever get a mod that replaces the spiders, similar to Skyrim. I kid you not, the spiders are the main reason I have to this day not played the classic REs despite owning them for a long ass time.

cvxfreak

BDwFCsd.jpg

hcjcV2K.jpg

Both achieved on Hard, but with the help of the Rocket Launcher.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I knew I couldn't expect for this game to run as well on PS3, but I'm still very disappointed by the game's shit framerate. The cut scenes are pretty bad in particular. Why is this happening in a game with pre-rendered backgrounds?
Tbf I'm surprised it wasn't 1080p on lastgen, this is a GCN port having bad framerate on any of the consoles is a bit of joke.

Grinchy

Banned
Tbf I'm surprised it wasn't 1080p on lastgen, this is a GCN port having bad framerate on any of the consoles is a bit of joke.
This is why I almost didn't buy it. It's a shoddy port. The models aren't even very good. There is no excuse for the poor performance.

Sure is fun though.

njean777

I am so lost, this is my first time playing this game. I have gotten the shotgun, blue jewel, fertilizer, lighter, wood plank, book of curses (and mansion key), and the flask for kerosene. Now I have no clue what I should be doing, there is a statue with something on top of it that just says something to do with water. I really don't want to look at a walkthrough because I want to beat the game with no help, but man I am totally lost. I swear there was a battery somewhere but I cannot remember where it is.

I am playing Jill's side btw.

Bl@de

I am so lost, this is my first time playing this game. I have gotten the shotgun, blue jewel, fertilizer, lighter, wood plank, book of curses (and mansion key), and the flask for kerosene. Now I have no clue what I should be doing, there is a statue with something on top of it that just says something to do with water. I really don't want to look at a walkthrough because I want to beat the game with no help, but man I am totally lost. I swear there was a battery somewhere but I cannot remember where it is.

I am playing Jill's side btw.

found the dog whistle in the room where the lighter was?

njean777

Did you examine the mansion key and have you been using that?

The only thing on top of that statue is a map.

I never examined it, but it made me discard it after I unlocked all the doors.

Well I killed the dog, walked around every room and tried to blow it finally found the outside portion where I was suppose to blow it. Now I have no clue what to do with this
imitation key

Wait this game has bad framerate? I mean it's stupid that it isn't 60 fps but I don't think I ever got any slowdown.

i dunno about the ps3 version but the brouhaha about the ps4 version having framedrops turned out to be a whole bunch of nothing, had literally one framedrop (camera angle change when going down to lisa's basement in the mansion) that lasted all but 2 seconds in my entire first playthrough.

it could've been 60 fps but eh, the original was 30 so who cares.

This has probably been asked to death but to get the knife run achievement aren't you supposed to avoid stomping on the enemy? does this include your encounter with dogs?.

If I read it correctly the only way to get Samurai Edge and Rocket Launcher is to play on Normal and not Very Easy. I am very tempted to go through the game on normal (knife run) as I know I will not spend more than 4 and half hours. That way I can focus on time consuming achievements for a second run. Look forward to playing this game again after 7 years!

dedhead54

I played about an hour of the original back when I was 10 or 11. Didn't make it very far.

Started this yesterday and I am really enjoying it. I do see myself getting stuck eventually, later in the game. So far I have done tons of backtracking and have died a couple of times. After a couple of hours I just now have a grasp of the mansion (where all the rooms are, etc). Just got to the point where
you get the collar off of the dog
. I am playing as Chris and I am really wishing I had those extra 2 inventory slots. That has been a bit of a pain in the ass as times.

Excited to keep playing. I thought I would have a hard time getting in to it due to its age. That is not the case at all, I think it plays great.

Quick question regarding the shotgun:
I got to the lounge where the shotgun is hanging but I realized as soon as I pulled it that I needed the broken shotgun to replace it. Problem is, I had put it in the storage chest about 20 minutes earlier to make room for something else. So I put the real gun back and went and got the broken one. I had been doing so much running around that I can't remember exactly which door led to the lounge but I am pretty sure it was a door that had a crumbling handle, and now I can't get back in to the lounge? Or am I at the wrong door?

Quick question regarding the shotgun:
I got to the lounge where the shotgun is hanging but I realized as soon as I pulled it that I needed the broken shotgun to replace it. Problem is, I had put it in the storage chest about 20 minutes earlier to make room for something else. So I put the real gun back and went and got the broken one. I had been doing so much running around that I can't remember exactly which door led to the lounge but I am pretty sure it was a door that had a crumbling handle, and now I can't get back in to the lounge? Or am I at the wrong door?

You're pretty much on the right track, just go inside the double doors and it's the door directly infront of the double doors if i'm not mistaken.

storafötter;149961398 said:
This has probably been asked to death but to get the knife run achievement aren't you supposed to avoid stomping on the enemy? does this include your encounter with dogs?.

If I read it correctly the only way to get Samurai Edge and Rocket Launcher is to play on Normal and not Very Easy. I am very tempted to go through the game on normal (knife run) as I know I will not spend more than 4 and half hours. That way I can focus on time consuming achievements for a second run. Look forward to playing this game again after 7 years!

Yes but with dogs you don't stomp them you just shrug them off when they latch on to you so you're good to go. You also read correct that only a speed run under 3 hours on normal would get you the special weapons but remember that between easy and normal the knife will take even more time for you to kill zombies let alone some of the boss battles.

Liamc723

I never examined it, but it made me discard it after I unlocked all the doors.

Well I killed the dog, walked around every room and tried to blow it finally found the outside portion where I was suppose to blow it. Now I have no clue what to do with this
imitation key

Take it to 3F and use it to solve the puzzle.

You're pretty much on the right track, just go inside the double doors and it's the door directly infront of the double doors if i'm not mistaken.

Yes but with dogs you don't stomp them you just shrug them off when they latch on to you so you're good to go. You also read correct that only a speed run under 3 hours on normal would get you the special weapons but remember that between easy and normal the knife will take even more time for you to kill zombies let alone some of the boss battles.

Good to know that it is not the same in regards to the dogs. Yeah I have already prepared myself for some painful playthrough but I have always had a tendency to find ways to avoid zombies on my Resident Evil adventures. The only worry is the crimson head since I have already partly killed the snake with a knife on gamecube.

Thanks for responding :)

It's always enabled on that specific save file. So you can't start a New Game+ without One Dangerous Zombie active but of course you can always start a clean new game.

Tempted to look at a solution. I'm stuck! Basically every room in the map is green except a few ones, I only have 2 puzzle objects and tried everything but I can't proceed further :(

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
FINALLY got to get started, I just moved and had no internets. Game is just as good as ever, hasn't aged a bit. Doing a Jill run on normal difficulty. I wanna get the platinum at some point, are there any recommendations for what trophies I should aim for in this run? I know it requires a fair few playthroughs so if I can get 1 out of the way right now that would be handy.

Cudder

I'm so confused:

Last night I beat the game for my second time. Used Jill instead of Chris this time.
For some reason I didn't have to go through the whole self destruct sequence at the lab. I forgot what I even did as Chris to trigger it. Hence I didn't have to fight the Tyrant on the rooftop, and the mansion didn't explode. So the whole self destruct thing is optional? I saw people play as Jill go through that.

Also, I "saved Barry from Lisa" according to the trophy by giving back his gun, but I think Lisa actually killed him anyway. I heard him scream and all of a sudden he wasn't there. Needless to say he wasn't in my ending either. Are you physically supposed to save/protect him from Lisa somehow?

I'm so confused:

Last night I beat the game for my second time. Used Jill instead of Chris this time.
For some reason I didn't have to go through the whole self destruct sequence at the lab. I forgot what I even did as Chris to trigger it. Hence I didn't have to fight the Tyrant on the rooftop, and the mansion didn't explode. So the whole self destruct thing is optional? I saw people play as Jill go through that.

Also, I "saved Barry from Lisa" according to the trophy by giving back his gun, but I think Lisa actually killed him anyway. I heard him scream and all of a sudden he wasn't there. Needless to say he wasn't in my ending either. Are you physically supposed to save/protect him from Lisa somehow?

Yeah, Lisa can knock him down and kill him during the battle, even after you've given him back his gun. I did several no-save runs with Chris already but with Jill I always save right before that fight because it can happen pretty easily. Just make sure you draw her attention away from him.

And yeah, that's also the reason why you didn't trigger the self destruction and fought the final boss. In Jill's scenario Wesker activates the self destruct mechanism, but if Barry is dead, Wesker gets killed by the Tyrant as well. In Chris's scenario Rebecca activates the self destruct mechanism, so she needs to be alive for that one as well.

Cudder

Yeah, Lisa can knock him down and kill him during the battle, even after you've given him back his gun. I did several no-save runs with Chris already but with Jill I always save right before that fight because it can happen pretty easily. Just make sure you draw her attention away from him.

And yeah, that's also the reason why you didn't trigger the self destruction and fought the final boss. In Jill's scenario Wesker activates the self destruct mechanism, but if Barry is dead, Wesker gets killed by the Tyrant as well. In Chris's scenario Rebecca activates the self destruct mechanism, so she needs to be alive for that one as well.

Ah, so in order to get the
self destruct sequence I need to either save Rebecca from the Hunter as Chris, or make sure Barry survives the battle with Lisa? Is there a reason why I would want to save either of them for a speed run seeing as how not having to deal with the final boss saves time?

Ah, so in order to get the
self destruct sequence I need to either save Rebecca from the Hunter as Chris, or make sure Barry survives the battle with Lisa? Is there a reason why I would want to save either of them for a speed run seeing as how not having to deal with the final boss saves time?

Nah, ignore those things if you're speed running.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This was on easy.

42AB766C32699FAC8EB57339DBED9461B0DE692E

I suck at this game.

Check out my screenshot gallery, I think I managed to get some pretty good ones.

Oh, and my favorite thing? This guy right here:

3E8311126E004FB12DD77D492E173737D7FA962B

Trapped behind a dresser for the entire game. No matter how much you try, you can't get me!

Top Bottom