• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Bl@de

The simplest explanation is that Rebecca spends the whole day after RE0 wandering around the forest and never finds the mansion. Jill's scenario and best ending is therefore the true canon :)

But in the last cutscene she finds the mansion... But let's not talk about RE0. That game destroys everything concerning the events. Because Rebecca would sure warn everybody about what happened too her. And she wouldn't be cowering in fear from a hunter ... when she just killed monkeys, tyrants, leech marcus ....

I think canon was: Chris 100% ending (Jill, Chris and Rebecca in the helicopter) and Barry fought his way through the woods because he is mucho mano. I think they used this way in the comics from 1997/1998 too. There is even a joke when Chris explains what happend at the mansion ... Jill just mumbles "But it was you in the cell all the time" and Chris shrugs her off.

Randam

All survive
Only player character survives, mansion blows up
Only player character survives, mansion doesn't blow up
Both playable characters survive, mansion blows up
Both playable characters survive, mansion doesn't blow up
Playable character and his partner character survive
How do you blow up/not blow up the mansion?

But in the last cutscene she finds the mansion... But let's not talk about RE0. That game destroys everything concerning the events. Because Rebecca would sure warn everybody about what happened too her. And she wouldn't be cowering in fear from a hunter ... when she just killed monkeys, tyrants, leech marcus ....

I think canon was: Chris 100% ending (Jill, Chris and Rebecca in the helicopter) and Barry fought his way through the woods because he is mucho mano. I think they used this way in the comics from 1997/1998 too. There is even a joke when Chris explains what happend at the mansion ... Jill just mumbles "But it was you in the cell all the time" and Chris shrugs her off.

I like to think some variation of both versions are canon, because I have a hard time imagining either
Chris or Jill spending the entire mansion incident being locked up in a cell. While it may not be considered true, I like to think in my mind that the true canon of RE involves Chris getting separated from Barry and Jill, Chris meets up and works with Rebecca while at the same time Barry and Jill's events are unfolding. In the end they all meet up, and escape on the helicopter.

Astral

How do you blow up/not blow up the mansion?

To blow it up you have to save Rebecca/Barry. Since they can die in the final fight, I'm guessing that's how you can end up the only survivor and the mansion exploding.

EDIT: Oops it's explained a few posts above.

To blow it up you have to save Rebecca/Barry. Since they can die in the final fight, I'm guessing that's how you can end up the only survivor and the mansion exploding.

While I was doing my runs where I didn't save either of them, I started to wonder...would it not be possible to start the self-destruct yourself before escaping? I thought about trying it, but didn't do it.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

I like how finding Barry is the primary incentive to explore the mansion in Chris' scenario, yet he never shows up again. I guess in Chris' game he really did never make it to the mansion.

I like to think some variation of both versions are canon, because I have a hard time imagining either
Chris or Jill spending the entire mansion incident being locked up in a cell. While it may not be considered true, I like to think in my mind that the true canon of RE involves Chris getting separated from Barry and Jill, Chris meets up and works with Rebecca while at the same time Barry and Jill's events are unfolding. In the end they all meet up, and escape on the helicopter.

That's something I wish they changed in REmake, make it work like RE2's A and B scenarios or something. Whenever I play through the series it feels weird because I either never met Barry during my RE1 run which doesn't really work with RE3's ending, or if I did play Jill's scenario the whole Wesker/Chris story in later games doesn't really work out all that well.

It is? Where?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150076709&postcount=5060

Pay attention, Randam Hajile!

Kuraudo

Banned

That's pretty funny. I like this canon, as it means Barry never actually betrays anyone :D

Astral

While I was doing my runs where I didn't save either of them, I started to wonder...would it not be possible to start the self-destruct yourself before escaping? I thought about trying it, but didn't do it.

I tried with Jill because I thought that's what you had to do but all you can do is examine it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wonder if the modern consoles can render the game fully in 3D and have it look as good as it does with the pre rendered backgrounds. The environments they did in 3D look really great.

The more I play this, the more I think it's been less semi-lucrative port endeavour, and more a 'how to make classic RE' school for Capcom's staff. To me it seems like the only explanation for spending so much time and care recreating such a big, decadent title. I'm pretty sure with what Capcom's staff will have learned after taking REmake apart and putting it back together again so extensively and lovingly, they'd have the know-how to create a solid, brand new old-style RE title, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if the developmental fruits of this port benefited RE7 in some way.
Oooooh I hope this is true.

playing re2 and im finding it way easier to dodge zombies. granted the police station hallways are a little wider than the mansion but the original games seem to have snappier controls--there's a hint of input lag in remake.

Astral

getting them killed on the helipad lets the mansion blow up?
how does that work?

The only way for the helipad fight to happen is if Rebecca and Wesker activate the self-destruct sequence (Barry needs to be alive for Wesker to do so). Up to that point you're set for the best ending, but if they die during the fight your ending is downgraded.

getting them killed on the helipad lets the mansion blow up?
how does that work?

Okay, this is how it goes.

In Chris's scenario Rebecca is the one who activates the mansions self destruct mechanism. If she dies before that, the mansion doesn't blow up at the end. But you CAN let her die during the final battle after the self destruct mechanism is already active.

It's similiar with Barry in Jill's scenario. If he's alive at the end he shoots Wesker in the shoulder, who escapes and activates the self destruct mechanism. If Barry is already dead by that point though, Wesker gets stabbed by the Tyrant and noone is around to activate the self destruct.

Bl@de

That's pretty funny. I like this canon, as it means Barry never actually betrays anyone :D

True. That's what makes it so hard. I guess there is no real canon for the Mansion Incident the way you play the games. Chris and Jills Scenario just don't fit like in Resident Evil 2. Also Resident Evil 0 destroys a lot of 1 as I mentioned. As much as I love the game by itself. The incidents make little sense next to the other games. Let's see. Maybe Capcom will give some new explanations in Revelations 2.

Some more I just thought about:

I think as great as the REmake is Mikami missed the opportunity to change even more concerning the story. By the time REmake was in production, RE2/3 already released. I think they should have changed it even more. Make A/B Scenarios for the Characters.

Example:

Chris A = Start like you start now, Jill B = Start somewhere in the western wing behind a locked door and take a different route. Ultimately ending up in the cell after a fight. This could be a shorter scenario where you don't visit every place because Wesker/Barry overpower you.

Jill A = Start like you start now, Chris B = Same as Jill B only you meet Rebecca. This can also end in Chris in the Cell and Rebecca escape the mansion.

This way Mikami and the REmake team could have said "Chris A/Jill B" is the way we see it. Just like Claire A/Leon B is considered canon.

Would also add a lot replayability. Maybe they even considered it at a point but then decided to stick to the original. Boy would I like to talk with Mikami about some of the things in the franchise.

I wonder if the modern consoles can render the game fully in 3D and have it look as good as it does with the pre rendered backgrounds. The environments they did in 3D look really great.
I kind of wondered about that in the middle of my playthrough and honestly, it doesn't look unfeasable.

I'm obviously not an expert and I might be totally wrong but visually, this doesn't look like it's in a completely different ballpark from current real time.

Mr_Zombie

So I started Chris playthrough and I'm back in the mansion after defeating Plant 42. Knowing the game from previous (Jill's) playthrough + Chris' extra health makes this game much easier even though he has smaller inventory.

However, I'm still wondering how the hell do people finish the game in 3 hours. Even though I know what to do and where to go, and rarely backtrack unnecessarily, Steam already shows me that I'm playing the game for ~3.5 hour, and I'm only ~60% in the game. :|

Which backgrounds did they render in 3D? because I honestly couldn't tell

The crypt with prototype Crimson Head and the crow corridor (the one next to the corridor where you find your first zombie). You can notice few low-res textures there and low-poly objects (like the mirror in the crow corridor) but overall those locations do look great.

cupraab

Neo Member
My Speedrun on Very Easy with Jill
5otcpqz2.jpg

Bl@de

However, I'm still wondering how the hell do people finish the game in 3 hours. Even though I know what to do and where to go, and rarely backtrack unnecessarily, Steam already shows me that I'm playing the game for ~3.5 hour, and I'm only ~60% in the game. :|

Well I looked up a video and it seems rather simple. But I never did a speedrun. Why? Because it was never they way I play the game. I always love to walk around and read every description because of the attention to detail.

But this time I may try one for the achievement to see what it's like. I was always surprised that a lot of people care so much about their completion time. Even now when I know Resident Evil 1 (PSX) by heart I take 7 hours to finish it. Must be the nostalgia when visiting the rooms.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really wish they would use the assets from Darkside to remake 2-3-Code V
They went to all that trouble just for an on rails shooter?

I had tried completing this before on the gamecube, but it was a bit overwhelming at the time as a kid. Finally being able to make it past the first 30 minutes, and completing the rest of the game was awesome. I'm really hoping they can remake RE0, and RE2. Please do it, please do it!

Just beat Jill Normal for the first time in a decade.... Whew. What a game. Way better than I even remembered.

Saved everyone too! Except
Richard
ironically, which meant no
auto shotgun
. Going to give it a rest (and Grim Fandango it up) and then return for Chris.

Holy quadrinity: REmake, RE2, Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3.

Wasp

Can't believe I am lost.

Early game with Chris. I have chemicals, flask, shotgun, used Mansion Key and do not know where to go. I am guessing I need the new key laid out in middle of armor trap but do not know how to avoid getting killed.
You not got the dog whistle yet?

Also remember to examine the back of each Mansion Key you get so it will be renamed to something more helpful, like Armor Key for example. I didn't know to do this until I found my third Mansion Key.

Astral

I was once again killed by a Hunter on my Real Survival/No save/Under 3 hour run because I fucking choked and didn't just shoot it in the face like a normal person. Yet I wanna try again. I am such a masochist.

I'm almost done my knife run with Chris. I still have real survivor and invisible enemy modes to do. I'm still a bit confused about the one dangerous zombie thing. So it only activates if you've saved a completed game with both characters on the same save file? I've completed Jill's scenario multuple times and used once again mode to start my Chris run. Does this mean that even if it's not the exact save slot one dangerous zombie will activate after I finish Chris?

Jumping back into this now with Chris after finishing it with with Jill last week, just have a couple of questions.

1) Where can I find the
Grenade Launcher with Chris?

2) I ran into
Richard and Rebecca at the same time in Richard's usual spot. Did I skip a cutscene with Rebecca? I thought she was kind of acting like we already met.

3) I failed to
save Richard and Rebecca's gone. Can I find her again?

4) I loaded up my clear save run for Chris so this will be my second time beating it. Is it true that "one dangerous zombie" will always be enabled on subsequent playthroughs?

Thanks for any answers. I'm just trying to get a good ending with Chris and get a better feel for exactly where to go for my next run with Jill, where I'm going to try for the under 3hrs unlockable.

L.O.R.D

i entered inside the cave where waterfall
manged to operate the elevator
and found barry
went down with me
i found the immortal zombie , got the broken flamethrower , barry escaped
opened the locked door with the broken flamethrower and found my self in the old cabin

returned to the that place and found the elevator busted

what i do now ?

Kai200X

Banned
Just fell to my death with Jill's no save speedrun... didn't happen with Chris so I didn't know it could happen to Jill.. oh well.

I do wonder how can Jill find assaulted shotgun? not like I really need it but it would be nice if I can get it. It says you can get it after Richard died saving Jill from the big snake, I wonder do I have to go back to the attic to get it?

Top Bottom