• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Palpable

i entered inside the cave where waterfall
manged to operate the elevator
and found barry
went down with me
i found the immortal zombie , got the broken flamethrower , barry escaped
opened the locked door with the broken flamethrower and found my self in the old cabin

returned to the that place and found the elevator busted

what i do now ?

Do you have the stone & metal object? Combine them like you did to be able to go out & unlock the guard house areas. Take the first one off the mantle and use them on the locked gate under the main mansion stairs.

AcAnchoa

Finally finished it. Loved every bit of the game, but I don’t think I’ll make a second run anytime soon. It may be because I played it on normal and avoided most of the enemies instead of fighting them but I think the game gives you too much ammo, by the time I reached the lab I felt like a walking arsenal.

Aikidoka

Tried playing this on my Ps4, but the game won't go past the "press any button" screen. After I press a key, the screen just goes dim and freezes. Anyone else have/heard of this problem?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Tried playing this on my Ps4, but the game won't go past the "press any button" screen. After I press a key, the screen just goes dim and freezes. Anyone else have/heard of this problem?
PSN is down at the moment, might be a problem connecting with residentevil.net. Just had the same happen to me. Turn off the internet connection in the PS4 settings and it should work again.

Just rushed through the game far under 3h on Very Easy, didn't know it had to be at least Normal for the reward :<

Curufinwe

PSN is down at the moment, might be a problem connecting with residentevil.net. Just had the same happen to me. Turn off the internet connection in the PS4 settings and it should work again.

Just rushed through the game far under 3h on Very Easy, didn't know it had to be at least Normal for the reward :<

Thanks, that worked.

Lothar

Banned
I'm on the lab as Jill and I never got the magnum. I only know I'm supposed to have it by now because I played the original.

When should I have got it?

Do I need it? I'm playing on normal.

I'm on the lab as Jill and I never got the magnum. I only know I'm supposed to have it by now because I played the original.

At the mansion, there's a room with the bee lure and hook where if you solved the puzzle you'd get a wind crest which you'll be able to put it in a graveyard which is on the path leading to Lisa's cabin. Another way would be not giving Barry's gun and then you'll be able to get his magnum which is much stronger than the game's ordinary magnum. Barry's magnum 1 shots everything. It'll help but you don't really need it.

Astral

Well I think I'm gonna give this game a break or shelve it depending on how many other games get in the way. I tried to speedrun through Real Survival twice today without saving just to get those 3 trophies out of the way and I died both times. Hunters are just way too risky to deal with on Real Survival without saving. I'll probably just leave the no save run for when I have the infinite rocket launcher.

Dai101

Banned

1st- This is not the original

2nd- Is a special gun that you can find but is not indispensable. As the guy above me mentioned and told you how to got it.

Aikidoka

Thanks a bunch!

Does anyone else find Jill's oscillating breasts to be a little bit weird? Here I am, admiring the great detail in the mansion environment and the awesome sound design, and then I spot Jill's boobs going up and down like slinkies or something. The inanity of the image just so starkly contrasts and makes me forget I'm in a zombie-infested mansion.

I found a entertaining article on the topic: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jan/21/boobs-breasts-physics-video-game

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I did a knife-only run today. Since I heard people say a knife-only run is very easy on very easy difficulty I decided to do it on easy to make it a bit more challenging. It actually feels like a normal run except for the
crimson head boss fight and the second snake boss fight.
And holy bananas does those fights become tedious when you can only use the knife. I feel ashamed I had to switch to alternate controls for the
crimson head boss
as I wasn't able to evade quickly otherwise.

Anyway, definitely not doing a knife only run ever again. I'm surprised the run was actually under 3 hours, but I guess I save a lot of time by ignoring so much of the items and rooms.

One thing I learned recently is there's another room in the game which is 3D rendered. One of the mansion rooms with crows in it. This room:

I noticed it looked sharper and better than many of the other rooms, but I couldn't tell that is actually real-time rendered. I guess it's an indication of how the mansion would look if they did that to every room in the game. A shame they didn't have the resources to do that (I assume that's the reason why only a few select rooms got the full 3D treatment anyway).

That explains why that cage looks so horribly aliased! I saw screenshots the other day and thought "God damn, that cage must have been heinous in the original to look like that at 1080."

Palpable

Is there an advantage to new game +? I finished with Jill on easy. Now I'm going to do Chris on easy. Should I do new game +, make a new save, or does it not even matter?

Some Pro-tips for someone who never played any of the old school RE games on higher difficulty? As I died at the second zombie yesterday on the highest difficulty :D

Was there a trick to getting headshots with the handgun or is it random?

Aikidoka

Some Pro-tips for someone who never played any of the old school RE games on higher difficulty? As I died at the second zombie yesterday on the highest difficulty :D

Was there a trick to getting headshots with the handgun or is it random?[/QUOTE

I'm pretty certain that the headshots are random, and someone stated above that Chris actually has a higher chance of getting them. As far as tips, You really shouldn't try and fight every zombie - simply bait out their lunge grab attack and then run past them. All killing zombies does is give you a chance of making a crimson, which will be even more of a pain. So, fight a little as possible so you conserve ammo for the fights you cant avoid.

Mr_Zombie

- learn how to dodge zombies. When they try to grab you, just keep walking back and they will miss giving you a chance to run around them.
- learn the mansion layout; there are corridors that you can easily avoid (so no point in killing all zombies there) and corridors that are free from enemies (e.g. the balcony near the dinning room)
- kill zombies only in crucial corridors - the ones you know (or think) you will have to run through often. Some corridors can be easily avoided and there's no point in killing zombies in various rooms that you will never return to; you better use "a dagger to the head and dodge" technique on enemies in those rooms if you need to escape them.
- don't forget to burn zombies that you've killed without blasting their heads, otherwise you will find yourself swarmed by Crimson Heads; keep in mind that there are only 3 kerosene containers in the mansion, each allowing you to refill the canteen 2 times (each refill allows you to use the canteen twice) so you can burn up to 12 zombies;
- once you get a shotgun and have some shells, don't hesitate using it; sometimes it's better to kill a zombie using shotgun (if you do so - let them near you and point the shotgun up, at their head - there's a high chance the head will explode) than struggle with handgun and then setting those zombies on fire; don't save it on bosses, especially if you play as Jill who has grenade launcher and can easily avoid two/three boss battles if you play your cards right, because by the end of the game you will realize you have plenty of ammo and shells;
- if you're playing without a walkthrough (as you should) always examine new objects; while in the original RE1 game the examine function was required only on two items, here a lot of items need a closer look in order to find their real purpose
- there are free herbs on the balcony near the dinning room (where you will have to use the dog whistle); they will allow you to fully heal at least three times;
- when you leave the mansion for the first time, the game starts to get much easier;

Lothar

Banned

In addition to what Mr. Zombie said, you're going to want to have the shotgun out most of the time in the mansion in case you're surprised by a zombie and you need to do a quick kill. (Have to point upwards) The only time you want to use the handgun is if 1. A zombie is a long way away from you (It might take 7-8 shots to kill) and 2. You can't run around them. I barely ever used the handgun on my play through.

Miguel81

bhd.exe_2015-02-02-09-41-46-552.jpg

Just finished up my first run on Normal as Chris. Next up will be Jill on Hard mode, and then Real Survivor after that. Damn, this has been quite a wonderful experience. I loved getting my tank control groove back and really navigating the layout like a pro. 4:3 and Type B control method are what I used.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished up my first run on Normal as Chris. Next up will be Jill on Hard mode, and then Real Survivor after that. Damn, this has been quite a wonderful experience. I loved getting my tank control groove back and really navigating the layout like a pro. 4:3 and Type B control method are what I used.
Real survivor isn't that bad, might as well do it right now with Jill and take advantage of her 8 item slots :)

Is there an advantage to new game +? I finished with Jill on easy. Now I'm going to do Chris on easy. Should I do new game +, make a new save, or does it not even matter?

Hmm, well the only way to play a new playthrough is by going through "once again..." so there is no "New Game" option. The benefits would be if you speed run the game under 3 hours you'd unlock the infinite rocket launcher and Samurai Edge, speedrun the game under 5 and you'll just get an infinite stronger handgun called Samurai Edge. You'll also get a key to a costumes room.

Miguel81

Real survivor isn't that bad, might as well do it right now with Jill and take advantage of her 8 item slots :)

Interesting. The separate item boxes might not be such a problem due to the fact that I ended up with a massive surplus of green herbs and ammo. Really, I just had to search everything and collect like I was on one of those hoarding shows. What's sad is I still didn't get the cheevo for visiting all spots(May this is only after opening the closet?)

Nizz

Playing through this game for the first time since I played very little way back on my nephew's Gamecube and I'm finding the game...hard. Maybe this game makes a case for how game design has changed over the years, or who I am as a person today.

Definitely getting an old school vibe with the game. Definitely feels like playing a game from an era where games were just naturally harder. Nothing completely laid out and having to explore everything, which I can appreciate. And I'm playing on easy difficulty to top it off.

Randam

Playing through this game for the first time since I played very little way back on my nephew's Gamecube and I'm finding the game...hard. Maybe this game makes a case for how game design has changed over the years, or who I am as a person today.

Definitely getting an old school vibe with the game. Definitely feels like playing a game from an era where games were just naturally harder. Nothing completely laid out and having to explore everything, which I can appreciate. And I'm playing on easy difficulty to top it off.

there are a lot of game like this today.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. The separate item boxes might not be such a problem due to the fact that I ended up with a massive surplus of green herbs and ammo. Really, I just had to search everything and collect like I was on one of those hoarding shows. What's sad is I still didn't get the cheevo for visiting all spots(May this is only after opening the closet?)
That "visit all spots" trohpy is BS, because it's actually "collect 100% items" (all rooms on the map are green), and yeah, it really is something I wouldn't recommend for Real Survivor. The biggest "problem" in that mode (and it really isn't that bad) is the unmagical boxes, since you want to kill as few enemies as possible.
Imo the best route to platinum is:
Chris Normal 100% (with the Rebecca trophy)
Jill RS Save Everyone (with the Barry trophy)
Jill Invisible Enemy Save Nobody
Chris Knife Only sub 3h (maybe lump that together with no saves), Save Nobody, on normal if you feel lucky. Only real danger is the Elder Crimson Head.

I think that should cover everything.
Wish I had done it that way :-(

Lothar

Banned

To answer my own question (in case anyone else was wondering the same thing), hell yes you need it. Unless you want to kill the last boss with a knife. I went back and got it and thought I was invincible because I had 24 magnum rounds. Ended up using them all and finished the game with just a few shotgun shells left.

The dialogue at the very end was pretty horrendous compared to the rest of the game. Anyone else think that? I actually think the original had better lines at the end.

Mr_Zombie

The dialogue at the very end was pretty horrendous compared to the rest of the game. Anyone else think that? I actually think the original had better lines at the end.

A lot of dialouges in REmake feels rushed and inconsistent, sometimes even cut. Like the final conversation between Jill and Wesker:

Jill: Why eliminate S.T.A.R.S.?

Wesker: Believe it or not, that&#8217;s Umbrella&#8217;s intention.

Jill: You&#8217;re just a slave of Umbrella.

Wesker: Smart girl... but I think you misunderstand me. The "things" you mentioned are nothing. I&#8217;ll burn all of them along with this entire laboratory.

Wait, what "things" did she mention? In the original game Jill's sentence is "So you're a slave of Umbrella now, along with these virus monsters." and then Wesker's reponse (which is similar to the one in REmake) actually makes sense. Here - it does not.

Ugh i wish George Romero Resident Evil got made instead of the paul anderson one. Didn't he want James Woods to play Wesker? Would have been an interesting take.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Question for you guys. I have a bit of a problem with Spiders and used to have a friend kill them for me on the Gamecube, that's not an option right now. Is there a way to kill the Black Tiger boss without looking, I have that self defense magnum which should kill him in 1 shot but I cant remember what direction he comes from.

Mr_Zombie

Question for you guys. I have a bit of a problem with Spiders and used to have a friend kill them for me on the Gamecube, that's not an option right now. Is there a way to kill the Black Tiger boss without looking, I have that self defense magnum which should kill him in 1 shot but I cant remember what direction he comes from.

Unless you play on Real Survival mode, REmake has auto aiming. And since the spider is huge, it stays on the ground so you don't have to worry about aiming up or down.
However, there are two smaller spiders there too that crawl on the ceiling.

A lot of dialouges in REmake feels rushed and inconsistent, sometimes even cut. Like the final conversation between Jill and Wesker:

Wait, what "things" did she mention? In the original game Jill's sentence is "So you're a slave of Umbrella now, along with these virus monsters." and then Wesker's reponse (which is similar to the one in REmake) actually makes sense. Here - it does not.

I brought up the exact same example a couple of days ago and the interesting thing about that...as it turns out, Jill's line is different and closer to the original when Barry is dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6Aubj6vfw

She does mention the "Things" here, while Wesker's response is the same. The whole conversations is a bit clearer than the Barry version. Pretty weird.

Unless you play on Real Survival mode, REmake has auto aiming. And since the spider is huge, it stays on the ground so you don't have to worry about aiming up or down.
Which you can avoid if you kill it quick enough and duck back out of the room, they'll leave.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Which you can avoid if you kill it quick enough and duck back out of the room, they'll leave.

Excellent thanks. So when I enter the room the Black Tiger will be in front of me on the ground right? My plan was to hold the auto aim and kill him in 1 shot as soon as I open the door

Lothar

Banned

It's not just that part. The whole scene is half assed. In the original, Wesker has a longer explanation that makes it clearer what his plans are. Original RE has a ton of bad lines but I like the line when he says "If you succeeded in developing the world's most powerful biological weapon, what would you do?" and when he calls everyone idiots, including umbrella, for not recognizing the value of the Tyrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDczxImTiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83ulEYoPHw

Cudder

I'm a grown man and was scared silly playing this last night with headphones.

And then I got to Rebecca and I lol'd. And then i got scared again.

Honestly, I can only play this in like 15 minute spurts.

If you keep playing that way you're going to run out of Ink Ribbons fairly fast.

Markitron

actually, in a 10 hour playthrough, you could save every ~20 minutes of progress. there's at least 30 ink ribbons in the game on normal

Yea I'm a little over halfway thru (first playthrough since the Gamecube release) and I have about 10 spare and am saving quite frequently.

There has always been an perceived lack of ink ribbons in REmake for some reason.

Jinjo

Just lost quite a bit of progress because a Hunter decided to pretty much one-shot me from full health after the first swipe. Damn. That's what I get for getting cocky with saves.

MAtgS

I just realized that Upload Studio doesn't seem to work for this game. Not just for myself but for every XB1 owner. What clips I have on system can't be saved or uploaded to Youtube either.

Uzzy

First run as Chris took 9 hours, second run as Jill took 6, now I'm down to 2 hours 21 minutes. Played on Normal difficulty, and Jill was the lone survivor (Poor Barry).

Feeling pretty damn chuffed.

Just lost quite a bit of progress because a Hunter decided to pretty much one-shot me from full health after the first swipe. Damn. That's what I get for getting cocky with saves.
I actually really love these incidents, the percentages of attack events in this game creates a wonderfully uneasy atmosphere.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
First run as Chris took 9 hours, second run as Jill took 6, now I'm down to 2 hours 21 minutes. Played on Normal difficulty, and Jill was the lone survivor (Poor Barry).

Feeling pretty damn chuffed.
Did you at least get his gun? Impressive time, by the way.

Jinjo

I actually really love these incidents, the percentages of attack events in this game creates a wonderfully uneasy atmosphere.

Haha, yeah I'm not even mad. I was actually feeling really comfortable and safe at the time. Decided to make a quick run for an item, but forgot Hunters would jump out a certain window. After a second joined in on the party I decided to book it for the door. Nope.gif lol.

Top Bottom