• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

AkuMifune

Banned
Jackpot is kinda right, but so is Sectus. They did some work so it's better than any emulation I've seen through Dolphin before, but also there wasn't much they could do with the original assets and the widescreen is kinda jank imo. But it's a remaster, there's no arguing that. It's not a straight port with a filter.

Either way I still prefer the non-widescreen display and classic controls. Just feels wrong any other way.

Have at it guys! Still my GOAT.

Our review is live, and went down well: http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/resident_evil

Resident Evil has small issues here and there, and the silly writing and survival gameplay have never been for everybody, but these negatives don't change the fact that this is a fantastic release. The REmake is as enjoyable as ever, enhanced by small improvements that make it that much more playable, and the whole experience hints at just how great a new "classic" Resident Evil could be with today's technology behind it.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/resident_evil

nOoblet16

Jackpot is kinda right, but so is Sectus. They did some work so it's better than any emulation I've seen through Dolphin before, but also there wasn't much they could do with the original assets and the widescreen is kinda jank imo. But it's a remaster, there's no arguing that. It's not a straight port with a filter.

Either way I still prefer the non-widescreen display and classic controls. Just feels wrong any other way.

Have at it guys! Still my GOAT.

You can still play the game at 4:3 ratio.
This pan technique is the best one can get without having to re render the entire game....better than permanently losing the top and bottom half of the image due to the zoomed POV.

Xpliskin

Are we there yet >:D
jack-shining.jpg

AkuMifune

Banned
You can still play the game at 4:3 ratio.
This pan technique is the best one can get without having to re render the entire game....better than permanently losing the top and bottom half of the image due to the zoomed POV.

I know, I did. Have already gone through the PS3 version quite a few times. Will get the Steam version in a sale.

The pan technique is really good, but still something about the 4:3 display makes it seem much crisper. And the new controls almost break the game.

But however people enjoy it, I'm just glad they enjoy it. Game deserves all the praise it can get. Brilliant balance of survival/adventure/puzzle and the atmosphere is the best.

Sectus

I think I might be interested in this. Is it true that the new movement option makes the game super easy?

I wouldn't say it makes it "super easy," but it definitely makes it easier. The new "very easy" difficulty definitely makes it stupidly easy though. Unless you're a person who prefers easy difficulty, the game is best played on normal difficulty with tank controls.

I think people are not getting the concept that this game much like the original Tomb Raider games were built around the tank controls so yes, if you don't get the controls then you don't get these games, simple as that.

Conezays

Damn, looks like GMG's VIP pricing is now gone for Resident Evil? Is GMG still the cheapest place to grab the game with the 23 % site discount? Cheers.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't say it makes it "super easy," but it definitely makes it easier. The new "very easy" difficulty definitely makes it stupidly easy though. Unless you're a person who prefers easy difficulty, the game is best played on normal difficulty with tank controls.

I can't wait to play on very easy and just kill everything like I did in directors cut on PSX.

Mr_Zombie

I've taken a few screenshots of the PC version while playing it over the week.

http://imgur.com/a/lIKmL

The Aqua Ring... my god :| Maybe it will look better in motion (please, say it will). I remember in GameCube version there were lights reflections moving on walls.

Everything else look good.

There's also a comparison piece between PS4 and PC. PS4 seems to be squished vertically for some reason.

Yeah, the PS4 version looks squished and much softer. Also, in this shot with Wesker in Guard's House there shadows look less detailed in PS4 version:

mattp

12 hours from now I believe.

omonimo had it right.

i dont get this opinion though
if you don't like the controls in these games, you kind of don't like these games at all. the entire design is based around them. so if they were designed around different controls, they'd be designed totally differently

Nemesis_

Oh man, the Aqua Ring looks even worse in higher resolution.

It looks nothing like that on Xbox One :/ I've got a video uploading I'll try to get caps up when I get up tomorrow.

But yeah I've done a 2:30 run with Chris. Attempting the same with Jill, but had to save since I was literally falling asleep and it's almost 1am here.

But yeah, some of those Aqua Ring screenshots are not what I experienced.

As for the new camera - while I loved it at first too - I reckon as you all start getting into the smaller areas with the quick cuts (ie. the forest paths towards the cabin, the courtyard basement) that you'll see why I don't prefer it all the time.

But yeah I think they handled it pretty well without completely re-doing and re-rendering every single scene.

The Aqua Ring... my god :| Maybe it will look better in motion (please, say it will). I remember in GameCube version there were lights reflections moving on walls.

Everything else look good.

I swear the Aqua Ring doesn't look that bad on Xbox One. Just waiting for this clip to upload to Xbox Live so I can show y'all.

mattp

Out of my curiosity : why it's not 60 fps on console? Seriously that's a bullshit.

most likely because the pre-rendered backgrounds that are looping videos run at 30fps
it'd look really weird(bad) if your character was moving at 60fps over a 30fps video

brau

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the new camera movement on some areas of the game? I'll be picking this up later this week on PC. But just want to make sure its all good.

-MD-

i dont get this opinion though
if you don't like the controls in these games, you kind of don't like these games at all. the entire design is based around them. so if they were designed around different controls, they'd be designed totally differently

Yeah I agree, that's what Death was originally saying.

omonimo

Banned
most likely because the pre-rendered backgrounds that are looping videos run at 30fps
it'd look really weird(bad) if your character was moving at 60fps over a 30fps video
But why it's 60 fps on PC. I don't get this choice at all. Better to have a setting option.

Top Bottom