• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

The one thing i like about the original Resident Evil 1 was just the surprise of walking into
The Plant Boss
and going "HOLY SHIT" Plus the music was crazy

I hope reviewers take Capcom to task for falsely labeling this game a "remaster". I doubt it though.

It got a 9.5 from Game Informer for the PS4 version. Expect similar scores

strafer

I am a massive arachnophobic, and have problems with them in this game more than any other. They are particularly bad, I'm not gonna lie to you. I had a friend come and kill them for me back in the day, but I am gonna use shareplay and hopefully a fellow gaffer will help me out.

They appear exactly 3 times, between the 5 and 10 hour mark. The first appearance in particular is absolutely horrifying, the second is quite brief and the 3rd is almost as bad as the first. They take about 2 shotgun rounds or 1 acid round IIRC so they go down fast enough, so don't use your acid rounds on anything else.

I hear you, I had trouble entering caves in Skyrim. :(

Nemesis_

I guess upgrading all textures, changing engine, replacing a lot of background elements with real-time rendered elements, adding shading, improving lighting, adding new controls, adding support for wide screen, adding free reload, localizing the game, adding new costumes, adding support for multiple resolutions (PC), adding support for higher framerates (PC), and adding customizable controls (PC) isn't good enough to call it a remaster?

oop tell them

Mr_Zombie

Maybe it's... Chris.

Now Jill, can you go?

I'm going with you. Chris is our old partner, ya know.

You win. I forget what lines come next as it's all a haze of "what" "who is what where are we can you go he's our old partner ya know"

I have that first cut-scene from both Jill and Chris ingrained into my brain. When I saw the opening cut-scene from REmake for the first time and the dialogue was changed I was confused. "No! That's not how it went!"

Looks like we got to the... ROOT of the problem.

char_28236.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I hear you, I had trouble entering caves in Skyrim. :(

I don't want to put the shits up you, but it's several orders of magnitude worse in REmake. I would recommend you look up a guide or PM me whilst you are playing so they don't surprise you.

strafer

i have no idea what you guys are talking about but Im laughing my ass off

I don't want to put the shits up you, but it's several orders of magnitude worse in REmake. I would recommend you look up a guide or PM me whilst you are playing so they don't surprise you.

hehe, no worries, as long as I know there are in the game I wont be soooo surprised, but still might give a scare.

Thanks for the heads up tho :)

I'm actually kind of upset that they redid the dialogue and voice acting.

*Jill finds a box of macaroni*

What is this? I can't figure it out at all.
The one thing that REmake does not do better (in my eyes and a few others from the prerelease thread) is the fact that they actually tried to fix the stupendously awful 90s mismatched translations and bad lines. I love the cheese so much. Back then the jankiness was much appreciated and lent it a real grindhouse b-movie feel.

Not sure how much survived in REmake it's been so long.

Roldan

The one thing that REmake does not do better (in my eyes and a few others from the prerelease thread) is the fact that they actually tried to fix the stupendously awful 90s mismatched translations and bad lines. I love the cheese so much. Back then the jankiness was much appreciated and lent it a real grindhouse b-movie feel.

Rebecca: Chris, is that you?

Chris: Is that you, Rebecca?

srsly, that's one of the best dialogues in the original game.

Yeah. It very much, though not intentionally, added to the charm of it. People love how terrible it was. It reminds me, if you've seen Scream 4, of that part when they're at the Stab-a-thon and everyone at the party is quoting the shitty dialogue in Stab because they love it.

I get that when they remade the game that they saw it as a fresh slate and that having the same dialogue and performances wouldn't have been a good idea especially since it's wasn't 90's era Playstation anymore, but whether they like it or not the utter shittiness of it helped define the game, and not in a bad way.

The voice acting in REmake is slightly more competent than the original cheesy VO. But it still isn't great and there is plenty to laugh at. Whether they intentionally retained the cheesiness or not is up for debate.

The voice acting in REmake is slightly more competent than the original cheesy VO. But it still isn't great and there is plenty to laugh at. Whether they intentionally retained the cheesiness or not is up for debate.

I definitely think they tried to make it better, but being a videogame it was still bad. They stripped out all the "iconic" dialogue like master of unlocking and all that garbage, so I think they were either out to do better, or just didn't realize they had struck shitty writing gold in the first place.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I think its

R: Its meee Chris
C: Is that you rebecca ? *after seeing her wave and standing 2 feet in front of her*.

but yeah, i wish someone mods the RE1 voice acting into REmake.

should be glorious.

Shit forgot about the whole EU Wednesday store update shit. Had a night all planned for tomorrow with my wife playing Resi all night.

Damn you EU PSN store!

I just checked something

Grim fandango is coming to eu psn on the same day as na psn which is next Tuesday.

There is a chance resident evil might go on eu psn tomorrow!

Mr_Zombie

Actually, it's even better.

Rebecca: It's me Chris.

For context, Rebecca just entered the room and they stand in front of each other, just few steps apart, facing each other. :D

EDIT: Damn you, chandoog.

Barry: Do you know what Wesker was going to show you...in the back of this room?

Jill: He was talking about the most powerful biological weapon, called Tyrant...or something...I...I think.

Barry: Do you think we can see Tyrant...now?

Jill: Barry, you're sooo optimistic! =D

WITHE1982

I just checked something

Grim fandango is coming to eu psn on the same day as na psn which is next Tuesday.

There is a chance resident evil might go on eu psn tomorrow!

I hope so as my wife is at work every night this week except tomorrow. She'll not let me even touch the game unless she's there to play it as we're both massive resi fans.

Despera

Banned
Booooo they fixed the dialogue? D:

I'll get the game regardless and play it on my laptop, but the experience won't be the same :p

Meesh

Was hesitant to dip back into this again until I noticed you could change the controls, looks like I'll be there day 1

Nemesis_

I tried to broadcast but some flop is signed into my Xbox with me who hasn't done their settings properly so I can't :(

Speed run with no saving too :(

About to take on Plant 42

Nemesis_

Forgot to mention but while the Aqua Ring still looks washed out a bit, it isn't as bad as the 360/PS3 versions.

Mr_Zombie

I really hate those four pouches. They look so out of place.

I hope modders will be able to fix that.

I want Sailor Chris, goddammit!

Forgot to mention but while the Aqua Ring still looks washed out a bit, it isn't as bad as the 360/PS3 versions.

Does it look actually look good, or just "better"? Because in an image that (I think) Sectus uploaded some time ago Aqua Ring looked horrible: as if someone just took the original background, resized it, sharpened the hell out of it and called it a day. :(

I really hate those four pouches. They look so out of place.

Not if you're an incredibly buff super agent like Chris!

.... I miss normal and believable characters in AAA horror games (especially RE). You need the contrast. You need to see how overwhelming and under equipped your character is in these terrifying situations. When they start to look like GI Joes or cartoon characters, the horrors of a backdrop painted in realism is kinda gone.

Sectus

Does it look actually look good, or just "better"? Because in an image that (I think) Sectus uploaded some time ago Aqua Ring looked horrible: as if someone just took the original background, resized it, sharpened the hell out of it and called it a day. :(

http://images.onesite.com/capcom-un...8ff158443b36034dbf029f32588387aa.jpg?v=202200

That's the one I posted. It's a promotional screenshot of PS4 version. So I assume that's how it looks on next gen consoles and PC. Maybe it looks better in motion.

By far the dumbest exchange, perhaps even across all mediums, is when Barry brandishes a firearm, and Jill in typical Jill fashion has no idea what it is. Barry doesn't clarify to the poor girl in the conversation what kind of gun it is, but rather "it's a weapon." But then, the real nugget of the conversation is what follows: "it's really powerful-- especially against living things." So, you're telling me that this random gun-shaped object that you just pulled out of your ass is a gun, and that it was designed to be effective against living things? "Jill, this is a rice cooker. It's really effective, especially at cooking rice." I can't believe that Barry had to explain, although in what could be the dumbest way imaginable, what a gun is to a cop.

Special Tactics and Rescue Service indeed.

Top Bottom