• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Nemesis_

Jill's RE3 outfit makes no sense. How is a skirt practical for a tactical team investigating a mansion?

I don't think it's meant to make sense, it's just a throwback to RE3.

I agree that Jills original outfit is dorky as fuck. I'm glad they didn't use the design similar to that for Rebecca. But yeah she's definitely my least favourite incarnation of Jill.

joe2187

Banned
I dont understand how people can hate Tank controls, I've never had a n issue with the controls in any RE game.

I wish they would make a new RE that was tuned for tank controls even.

The new controls feel terrible to me, I have to be careful when the camera transitions otherwise I might run back the way I came, and it's fixed for running constantly which breaks the normal combat and any tension you might have fighting monsters.

-MD-

People dislike Jill's default outfit? Man, I've always adored it.

By far my favorite Jill, shoulder pads and all.

if you thought them including both controls was going to stop the fine posters on NeoGAF.com from arguing which one is better then you got a lot to learn buddy

Nemesis_

It works in a cartoon setting like Marvel vs. Capcom but I just can't stomach it in RE1. Maybe because for some weird reason I played RE3 first so I probably have some kind of inherent bias haha

strafer

the only old school Resident Evil game I've played is Resident Evil 3, I remember nemesis being scary as shit, chasing you.

And I remember you could have a infinite M60

GrazGamer

gotta paste this quote from jim sterling's review in here because he is fucking SPOT ON
i complain about this all the time, but he words it much more eloquently than i ever could haha

Couldn't agree more, the earlier resi games I could probably walk through in my mind. Only game recently I could d that with were the batman Arkham games.

joe2187

Banned
the only old school Resident Evil game I've played is Resident Evil 3, I remember nemesis being scary as shit, chasing you.

And I remember you could have a infinite M60

Beat the game in under 3 hours to get the Infinite Rocket launcher, beat the game in under five to get the infinite Samurai Edge.

they probably don't HAVE to break the game, as long as you show restraint and don't abuse them.

It breaks it automatically, since no matter what you're always running, you cant not run with the new controls as well as you can turn on a dime so you can basically dodge every single enemy in the game. You can knife your way through the game with alternate controls and never take a hit for the most part.

nOoblet16

I'm curious what the main issue is for people who can't handle tank controls. The base funcionality is incredibly simple, you press left, you turn left, you press right, you turn right, down is back, up is forward.

Now the one thing I can understand is that some people just can't keep their directions straight with changing camera angles, sure, it sounds simple on paper, press left to turn left from the characters point of view but I can honestly see how this might take a while to master for some people. When I first started driving I often got confused as to which direction I have to turn the wheel when driving backwards, so I'm not really one to talk here.

But then a lot of people also have issues with RE4's tank controls and that's were the former explanation doesn't work anymore. Or how about "Aiming with the left stick is horrible and unintuitive!". Is it just a vocal minority and most people don't care either way or is there actually something legitimately difficult about these things?
It's the same as the complain people have for inverse axis controls.
Even though it "makes sense" i.e. tilting left means you are controlling a character's head and rotating it left, causing the character to look right. And similar for Y axis.

It all "makes sense" but it's not natural in feedback because your thumb is pointing somewhere while your character is going elsewhere. The reason for this is because controller feedback is already indirect and not 1:1 compared to something like mouse feedback, and by introducing something like tank control you are adding an additional layer of indirect feedback. This is the reason why the bolded issue exists.

Tank controls were alright back in the days because they were a relic of the 2D era that was still being carried around as the developers were not used to making 3D games (hence the name tank, from the 2D tank games). But modern controls are undoubtedly more evolved and superior. You may prefer tank controls, just like how people can prefer inverse mouse controls for FPS games.

brau

Nope, so this is exciting stuff for me.

Finally play the game that so many people seem to praise.

We will see.

I am jealous. haha

I am stilll waiting for the day they decide to do a remake of RE2. It was such a great game. Later displaced by RE4. But they are not the same type of game.

Still. You are in for a treat.
I hope!

Xpliskin

Steam clock is wrong, the dev posted in the hub saying it'd unlock on the 19th 9pm Pacific time. 11 1/2 hours from now I believe.

It has to be released in a region to use a VPN unlock, and it looks like Capcom is targeting a world wide release.

I'm a broken record on this, but never put any stock on that timer. It is almost always improperly configured.

*cues save theme*

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use to rent the PS1 copy of the original and the Director's Cut from Hollywood Video a lot. I went through two major renting phases in my life. One with the Geneses/SNES and one with the PS1/PS2. I've owned the GameCube and Wii versions of the remake, but for some odd reason I never kept it. Which is odd. I'm happy to finally have 3 different versions of this game and I want my first playthrough to be a celebration to such wonderful times. Pre-rendered backgrounds and 3rd person views make for some of the best experiences on consoles to date.

Shevas costume makes perfect sense

944468-re_shevatribal__article_image.jpg

Yes, it does. Mm!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I'm the same, I think it looks great, the 2nd most iconic costume in the series after Leon in RE4. I'm not a massive fan of Claire's outfit though.

gelf

It's the same as the complain people have for inverse axis controls.
Even though it "makes sense" i.e. tilting left means you are controlling a character's head and rotating it left, causing the character to look right. And similar for Y axis.

It all "makes sense" but it's not natural in feedback because your thumb is pointing somewhere while your character is going elsewhere. The reason for this is because controller feedback is already indirect and not 1:1 compared to something like mouse feedback, and by introducing something like tank control you are adding an additional layer of indirect feedback. This is the reason why the bolded issue exists.

Tank controls were alright back in the days because they were a relic of the 2D era that was still being carried around as the developers were not used to making 3D games (hence the name tank, from the 2D tank games). But modern controls are undoubtedly more evolved and superior. You may prefer tank controls, just like how people can prefer inverse mouse controls for FPS games.

The difference here is the axis example you state doesn't fundamentally change the game. A reversed axis changes nothing. Someone used to inverse has the same toolset as someone used to normal. With tank controls vs camera relative, particularly the way they are implemented here the gameplay is different depending on which you choose. The zombies aren't designed to tackle someone who's able move so freely.

There's something to be said for controls designed around the type of gameplay you want to present and the rush to have just one homogenised way to control every game is not a good thing IMO.

Looking forward to playing as Chris this time around. Only ever beat REmake once with Jill.

Those flash grenade kill gifs posted earlier in the thread are what's really pumping me up to play as Chris :lol

Man I'm excited to play this for the first time ever. Honestly the only thing I know about the game is the
shark tank
room. Not sure if big spoilers but I hope I have a good experience.

JayEH

Just noticed this game is simply titled "Resident Evil". No HD remastered definitive Remix. I like that.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Looking forward to playing as Chris this time around. Only ever beat REmake once with Jill.

Those flash grenade kill gifs posted earlier in the thread are what's really pumping me up to play as Chris :lol

I always had to force myself to play as Chris, the lack of a lockpick and reduced inventory spaces are incredibly frustrating early on.

Man I'm excited to play this for the first time ever. Honestly the only thing I know about the game is the
shark tank
room. Not sure if big spoilers but I hope I have a good experience.

I genuinely envy all you newcomers, would give anything to experience it again for the first time. That section will still get you whether you know what's coming or not.

I always had to force myself to play as Chris, the lack of a lockpick and reduced inventory spaces are incredibly frustrating early on.

Though I feel the need to mention that, once you know what to do, it's only an issue in the beginning section anyway, yeah you have to do some more running around as Chris, but once you leave the mansion for the first time you don't have to do any more backtracking with Chris than you do with Jill. The same is true for the original PS1 game by the way.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Does PC have anything over PS4? Not sure which version to go with. Leaning towards PC for character mods, if nothing else.

brau

Does PC have anything over PS4? Not sure which version to go with. Leaning towards PC for character mods, if nothing else.

-Higher framerate
-Theres talks we may be able to remove door animations on the loading screens possibly

Also going by some of the screenshots better shadows

I am sure there will be the option to use gedosato? or some post process effects to make it look nicer?

I just wanna say that I'm thankful that even current-day Capcom couldn't find a way to fuck up this remaster somehow.

Core experience is intact, doesn't run like crap, and the shitty new controls are optional. Pretty cool stuff.

Amaya

Banned
Preloaded on Steam and thus, this shit is taking forever! I love my PS4 but I got to have that 60 frames. I haven't purchased shit for the PS4. Blood borne should change that.

Top Bottom