• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The only thing I dread about replaying this masterpiece again tonight, is Jill's horrible outfit. I wish we could use the RE3 costume right off the bat. And the BSAA Jill doesn't have the remake face T_T...

Nemesis_

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the new camera movement on some areas of the game? I'll be picking this up later this week on PC. But just want to make sure its all good.

I mentioned a few things a few posts up. For about 80-90% of the game though, the new camera is fine.

Yeah I agree, that's what Death was originally saying.

Definitely. I realised how broken the new controls were when I was playing around with the Yawn II battle on the Xbox 360. It's ridiculously easy to attack and outrun him now. :/

But why it's 60 fps on PC. I don't get this choice at all. Better to have a setting option.

I remember Capcom including it or mentioning it because they knew modders would find a way to do it anyway. It will look too incongruous with the backgrounds to work properly, I feel, so I don't think it's the way Capcom want people to play. But eh, PC player will always find ways around stuff like this anyway.

I also think possibly they can't work as many wonders with MT Framework on the Xbox One and the Playstation 4 as they can on the PC. I mean, isn't that why Capcom started working on Panta Rhei instead?

It's basically god mode because the game play is designed around the old controls. You can basically run circles around zombies. It's EZ Mode for lack of a better term.

I love how people like to justify shitty controls in a game. Saying a game is designed around bad controls is plain ridiculous.

-MD-

I love how people like to justify shitty controls in a game. Saying a game is designed around bad controls is plain ridiculous.

Except that it was designed around said controls.

edit: And yeah calling them "shitty" is ridiculous like Nemesis said. Tank controls work great.

Nemesis_

Calling them bad is plain ridiculous.

Being able to complete the entire game without being damage is ridiculous.

Nobody is justifying them at all. It's a fact that the enemies in the game are easier to evade and attack with the new controls, to the point where the game becomes mind numbingly easy to play.

Most survival horror games were designed around some kind of contrived mechanic that purposefully made things more difficult for the player. In Resident Evil these were tank controls and the fixed camera angles. To use a possibly more personal example, the restricted viewpoint in Evil Within provides a similar sense of claustrophobia and restriction of player agency.

Arsenic13

It's not bad controls. These controls are part of the genre in some ways. The Remaster has options for new controls, but they ruin the feeling of helplessness. They're tied to the theme of the game and its genre. I wouldn't call them bad, a they're far from inaccessible to a contemporary audience.

brau

Calling them bad is plain ridiculous.

Being able to complete the entire game without being damage is ridiculous.

Nobody is justifying them at all. It's a fact that the enemies in the game are easier to evade and attack with the new controls, to the point where the game becomes mind numbingly easy to play.

how is the new controls? its camera dependant? instead of tank controls?

Thanks for the input. i am going back on the thread.

psychotron

How? When the game was designed everything was taken into account when coming up with the difficulty. This includes the controls.

antitrop

Shamefully, I have to admit I've never finished Resident Evil 1 on any version, even though I've played it plenty of times on many different versions (even the DS one).

I will beat this version, though.

Grief.exe

But why it's 60 fps on PC. I don't get this choice at all. Better to have a setting option.

Console games don't generally have options, especially when those particular options will cause inconsistent gameplay.

Been a standard practice for years now. Want higher resolution, higher frame rates, and options? Pick up the PC version. Don't care? Buy the console version.

Are you arguing that tank controls are bad? Just allow your brain to adapt, they function perfectly after a slight learning curve.

Shamefully, I have to admit I've never finished Resident Evil 1 on any version, even though I've played it plenty of times on many different versions (even the DS one).

I will beat this version, though.

Go in blind, it is far more rewarding to figure out the mansion's puzzles for yourself.

I'd imagine I'm around half way through my first run right now.

Nemesis_

how is the new controls? its camera dependant? instead of tank controls?

Thanks for the input. i am going back on the thread.

The new controls are really hard to explain in words.

Basically if you move the stick in a direction the character will turn in that direction and run that way easily.

The old system was different. Holding "up" on the controller would move the player forward, while the left and right directional buttons would turn them accordingly. The old system was basically designed around the static camera angles as no matter the angle, the same button meant the same direction.

The new controls are especially broken during moments where the player has to move quickly. The area with the encroaching walls that leads down to the Red Book in the mansion is a good example of this. The boulders in the Courtyard Basement are too. I'd wager many players with these new controls will die unfairly because of how poorly they hold up during areas that change angles quickly and commonly.

mattp

so, i'm kind of in the camp that feels calling this game an "hd remaster" is pretty stupid. it's a port, which is totally fine. but call it what it is. "resident evil". not "Resident evil hd remaster"

but, anyway, do i buy it anyway? the ONLY reason(beyond convenience) i'd buy it on ps4 is to use the dualshock. cuz i still have my gamecube copy, and this game is barely an "upgrade" from that one, graphically. it's just a bunch of upscaled jpegs.
BUT, the d-pad on the gamecube controller fucking sucks sooo much

so what i'm saying is, do i pay to be able to play remake with a good dpad? haha

Nemesis_

so, i'm kind of in the camp that feels calling this game an "hd remaster" is pretty stupid. it's a port, which is totally fine. but call it what it is. "resident evil". not "Resident evil hd remaster"

and this game is barely an "upgrade" from that one, graphically. it's just a bunch of upscaled jpegs.

so what i'm saying is, do i pay to be able to play remake with a good dpad? haha

does nobody read this thread or follow any of the pre-release media jesus christ

If you think this is "a bunch of upscaled jpegs" then I suggest you stick to the Gamecube version since you'll never be able to tell the difference.

edit: I love how they've redone the Neptune texture so it has a lot more scratched and scars and such all over it's body. Makes it look like it's been through a lot during it's experimentation :p

antitrop

antitrop bro you are in for a treat

I played the GameCube version not long before Resident Evil 4 came out and I can still kind of remember where I left off at. It definitely wasn't very far into the game. I was stupid and let too many Crimson Heads start roaming around.

x-Lundz-x

I'm not sure where you are getting that from my post, I'm not "defending" anything. Just stating what should be obvious. The game game out a long time ago and the game played the way it did based on the controls. The enemies were/are designed for those controls.

They added a new control scheme that in effect breaks the game from a design standpoint.

It's really no different than saying they should add in tank controls to RE7 but keep the game play the same as RE6. It would make the game unplayable because you wouldn't be able to do anything against the enemies. See my point?

Nemesis_

I played the GameCube version not long before Resident Evil 4 came out and I can still kind of remember where I left off at, and it definitely wasn't very far into the game. I was stupid and let too many Crimson Heads start roaming around.

Bizarrely enough I never ever use the lighter and fuel canteen. I've always been more of an evader and runner than someone who fights back.

I will never find the Crimson Heads to be intimidating but I certainly appreciate their inclusion in REmake and why people might like them.

It makes me sad they'll never be in a modern Resident Evil though because that means backtracking and we all know how things are going with the new games now :(

Mr_Zombie

Not when said "port" is running on a completely different (modern) engine, has higher-poly models and higher-res textures than the original game, completely changed lighting and shading, reworked backgrounds (some are just upscalled, in others they replaced moving objects - movie files looping in the background - with 3D objects, and few areas were completely redone in 3D) etc.

If that was a standard practice for a "port", I would love more ports like that.

mattp

does nobody read this thread or follow any of the pre-release media jesus christ

If you think this is "a bunch of upscaled jpegs" then I suggest you stick to the Gamecube version since you'll never be able to tell the difference.

edit: I love how they've redone the Neptune texture so it has a lot more scratched and scars and such all over it's body. Makes it look like it's been through a lot during it's experimentation :p

i'm not talking about the character models
because, yes, the backgrounds ARE a bunch of scaled and filtered jpegs
i'm sorry, but they literally cannot be anything but that unless they actually re-rendered them(which they didn't)

brau

The new controls are really hard to explain in words.

Basically if you move the stick in a direction the character will turn in that direction and run that way easily.

The old system was different. Holding "up" on the controller would move the player forward, while the left and right directional buttons would turn them accordingly. The old system was basically designed around the static camera angles as no matter the angle, the same button meant the same direction.

The new controls are especially broken during moments where the player has to move quickly. The area with the encroaching walls that leads down to the Red Book in the mansion is a good example of this. The boulders in the Courtyard Basement are too. I'd wager many players with these new controls will die unfairly because of how poorly they hold up during areas that change angles quickly and commonly.

Gotcha. What about the shooting? is it the same?

Guys remove your emotional attachment from this game and think. How can you possibly enjoy these controls. If controls are frustrating they are not good. Considering this game was made a long time ago I can understand technical challenges etc... But at the of the day tank controls are not good. There is a reason why Capcom added alternate controls.

Xpliskin

Is there an "impatient's guide to unlock steam games early through a proxy" somewhere ?

Says 1 day and 1 hour to go here :/

The only thing I dread about replaying this masterpiece again tonight, is Jill's horrible outfit. I wish we could use the RE3 costume right off the bat. And the BSAA Jill doesn't have the remake face T_T...
This would've been really nice. Either way I'm excited to play, 1 day away!!

AkuMifune

Banned
Guys remove your emotional attachment from this game and think. How can you possibly enjoy these controls. If controls are frustrating they are not good. Considering this game was made a long time ago I can understand technical challenges etc... But at the of the day tank controls are not good. There is a reason why Capcom added alternate controls.

Capcom added tank controls to pander to the whiners. Consider instead how so many people use the tank controls for some really impressive speedruns and runs on higher difficulties with invisible monsters. The controls were not due to technical reasons, but fit the game and its static camera angles really well.

But, as mentioned, the new controls are there for you if you prefer.

realcZk

Can anyone comment on PS4 controls? Wondering which system to purchase this on. The RE4 remake PC controls were not very good in my opinion, I had to use a controller anyhow.

Nemesis_

i'm not talking about the character models
because, yes, the backgrounds ARE a bunch of scaled and filtered jpegs
i'm sorry, but they literally cannot be anything but that unless they actually re-rendered them(which they didn't)

Except they did, and a post right above you're clocked the tea on what they did. This was not just a half assed upscale.

Gotcha. What about the shooting? is it the same?

Shooting is the same more or less. There is still an auto aim function that helps to confirm if a fallen enemy is dead. They even added a tactical reload option.

There is no emotional attachment, we're just not ataxic. 💁

Mr_Zombie

The point is, they are good and are not frustrating - they are just different and require getting used to them. And - the most important thing - they work great for static camera angles. Just read what Nemesis_ wrote about those new controls few posts above.

-MD-

And I'm going to disagree with you. Tank controls aren't frustrating in the slightest, I enjoy them. I would welcome them in a modern game designed around them.

Is there an "impatient's guide to unlock steam games early through a proxy" somewhere ?

Steam clock is wrong, the dev posted in the hub saying it'd unlock on the 19th 9pm Pacific time. 11 1/2 hours from now I believe.

brau

Except they did, and a post right above you're clocked the tea on what they did. This was not just a half assed upscale.

Shooting is the same more or less. There is still an auto aim function that helps to confirm if a fallen enemy is dead. They even added a tactical reload option.

There is no emotional attachment, we're just not ataxic. 💁

Gotcha... so would you recommend this port? is it a good one?

antitrop

The point is, they are good and are not frustrating - they are just different and require getting used to them. And - the most important thing - they work great for static camera angles. Just read what Nemesis_ wrote about those new controls few posts above.

They work great for non-static camera angles, too. Resident Evil 4 is the best action game ever made, after all.

Grief.exe

Why are those controls frustrating though? They work perfectly for the small hallways and camera angles presented in the game.

They do require a learning curve as standard analog controls have become ubiquitous. Of course, the modern gamer detests any critical thought.

The problem with detractors on tank controls is they generally can't put forth a rational argument on why they are 'bad.' Then out the burden of proof on those that enjoy the controls, of which there are arguments consistently that are consistently utilized.

It has to be released in a region to use a VPN unlock, and it looks like Capcom is targeting a world wide release.

I'm a broken record on this, but never put any stock on that timer. It is almost always improperly configured.

Sectus

I have never found tank controls frustrating, and I've played a bunch of games with them.

Nemesis_

Gotcha... so would you recommend this port? is it a good one?

Of course. It's easily the best Resident Evil game ever made. This port just makes it a bit more accessible at the detriment to a reasonable challenge, and makes it a bit more bearable to look at a decade on.

The art is fantastic though. Really helps it's leap into the modern day.

brau

Of course. It's easily the best Resident Evil game ever made. This port just makes it a bit more accessible at the detriment to a reasonable challenge, and makes it a bit more bearable to look at a decade on.

The art is fantastic though. Really helps it's leap into the modern day.

So did they really add more to the game on the art side? it seemed like some comparisons had things missing, better lighting? or the presence of plants where there were none?

So the brain dead game "journalists" of today would still give the game a good review.

Challenge + Learning Curve + Critical Thinking Needed = Low Score

mattp

gotta paste this quote from jim sterling's review in here because he is fucking SPOT ON
i complain about this all the time, but he words it much more eloquently than i ever could haha

There are many reasons why this game essentially codified survival horror and is credited as the genre’s greatest inspiration. For me, it was the mansion itself that stood the test of time. These days, with huge open worlds and a growing stigma against backtracking, we’ve lost the concept of an environment that we get to know and adore over a prolonged experience. Like Shadow Moses in Metal Gear Solid, the Spencer Mansion of Resident Evil is a tiny place compared to huge modern game worlds, and there’s a significant amount of running back and forth through the same sets of corridors and rooms. Released brand new today, Resident Evil could very well risk a critical mauling for forcing players to backtrack, as we’ve collectively forgotten how much a sense of intimacy with one’s surroundings can positively impact a game experience. Now, I’m actually none too fond of some of the ways in which Capcom cheaply increased the amount of required back-and-forth (screw that shortcut door with the breakable handle!), but I can still respect exactly how much playtime Capcom got out of one main building and a few connected areas.

What first introduces itself as a sprawling, intimidating maze soon feels like home. A deadly home crawling with zombies and other biological atrocities, but a home nonetheless. Continued exposure to familiar hallways instills a navigational expertise in the player, as they soon learn the best shortcuts, the safest routes from room to room, the faster and more efficient methods of navigating their world. Unlike many modern games, players were given time in a place just the right size, and drip-fed new areas as and when required, rather than shunted around a vast open sandbox with barely a moment to take in the scale. This method of environmental design was a mainstay of old adventure games, expanded upon with Metroidvania style titles, and produced a number of unforgettable PlayStation-era action releases. The word “unforgettable” is important. I will never forget Resident Evil. I won’t forget its lavish entrance hall, its eerily silent barroom, its crow-infested gallery, or the relief I felt every time I reached its stairwell safe rooms. I can’t tell you about a single memorable place in Far Cry 4.

DeVeAn

I never had an issue with the controls. I mean the fixed camera angles show that the controls are meant to be that way. As for not liking them, to each their own.

Jill's RE3 outfit makes no sense. How is a skirt practical for a tactical team investigating a mansion?

zma1013

Because some people can't comprehend when they push forward it makes the character go forwrad relative from them. They are very simple controls, not sure where the frustration factor comes from. The game wasn't designed, nor does it require any different controls. It's nice they put new options in there for people having problems but tank controls work fine.

Manu

But they are not frustrating, like at all.

Me and my brother learned them when we were kids, for god's sake. He was 8.

I was playing some RE2 last year and the tank controls felt natural and perfectly serviceable.

They work well within the context of these games because the combat was designed for them.

strafer

Shevas costume makes perfect sense

944468-re_shevatribal__article_image.jpg

I'm curious what the main issue is for people who can't handle tank controls. The base funcionality is incredibly simple, you press left, you turn left, you press right, you turn right, down is back, up is forward.

Now the one thing I can understand is that some people just can't keep their directions straight with changing camera angles, sure, it sounds simple on paper, press left to turn left from the characters point of view but I can honestly see how this might take a while to master for some people. When I first started driving I often got confused as to which direction I have to turn the wheel when driving backwards, so I'm not really one to talk here.

But then a lot of people also have issues with RE4's tank controls and that's were the former explanation doesn't work anymore. Or how about "Aiming with the left stick is horrible and unintuitive!". Is it just a vocal minority and most people don't care either way or is there actually something legitimately difficult about these things?

Top Bottom