• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

zma1013

Why would you remove the door animation, isn't that an iconic thing in RE?

It was iconic for the time and sometimes helped build anticipation for what was on the other side of a door, but ultimately hinders enjoyment of the game on repeat playthroughs.

brau

It was iconic for the time and sometimes helped build anticipation for what was on the other side of a door, but ultimately hinders enjoyment of the game on repeat playthroughs.

I would make it maybe go one through the door or on special events with loading doors. Any other time you go back through it, it should be gone.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The upcoming RE: Revelations 2 is 60 fps on the consoles. A game from 2015. The game from 2002 is 30 fps. Let that sink in for a moment.

The upcoming RE: Revelations 2 is 60 fps on the consoles. A game from 2015. The game from 2002 is 30 fps. Let that sink in for a moment.

Wow, I had no idea about that. Did they give a reason why? The PC version is 60 so they obviously don't have animations tied to the framerate or anything.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People dislike Jill's default outfit? Man, I've always adored it.

By far my favorite Jill, shoulder pads and all.

I like it, but I think I prefer BSAA Jill with Bio3 Jill a close second. Civilian-styled Jill is a bit better than the "military"/police look for me.

Wow, I had no idea about that. Did they give a reason why? The PC version is 60 so they obviously don't have animations tied to the framerate or anything.

The PC just isn't 60, it's 30/60/Variable at that. But I'm in agreement, why is a game from 2002 stuck at 30fps on the current generation consoles.....

Bergerac

I would make it maybe go one through the door or on special events with loading doors. Any other time you go back through it, it should be gone.

That removes the idea of building suspense around not knowing what's on the other side, even doors you've been through before. Special event door scenes would also telegraph it really badly. You can't say 'Expext something here!' when the whole point of the mansion was not knowing what to expect in every room and corridor. Even if most of us have played it countless times already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Go look at the store title on Steam...

Capcom doesn't know how to make region-specific subs for whatever reason.

Or let us choose the damn title. I want Biohazard so when I press B the series is there along with the proper
Fuck the rest of the world and the band taking the name.
title. >:|

Plus Bio 4 is ALL CAPS while the rest of the series is mixed/all-low caps. :|

tagrat

I'm really having a tough time deciding between getting this on PS4 or PC. On PS4 I could use remote play, but I can have 60 FPS on PC...

Actually, I wonder how my computer would fare. Any thoughts? I have a Core 2 Q9550 with 8 GB of RAM and a 2 GB 7870 GHz edition. I really need to update my processor some time...

Cudder

Pre ordered. Never played before.I have very minimal experience playing the RE series despite loving the survival horror genre. I've beaten RE4+5, but I imagine this game is much different than those games.

Evil Within was my GOTY of 2014 because of it bringing me back to old school 3rd person survival horror games on the PS2, hope this replicates similar feelings. Any tips for a first timer? I think I'll start with Normal mode/tank controls.

Miguel81

Just received my key from Nuuvem and pre-loading now. Man, I'm so psyched for this game. It's been a long time since I've played REmake, and it'll be adjustment having just come from a full Resi 4 playthrough.

The atmosphere in this game is majestic and I want to absorb it all again.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm really having a tough time deciding between getting this on PS4 or PC. On PS4 I could use remote play, but I can have 60 FPS on PC...

Actually, I wonder how my computer would fare. Any thoughts? I have a Core 2 Q9550 with 8 GB of RAM and a 2 GB 7870 GHz edition. I really need to update my processor some time...

Dude....your PC will run this like a motherfucker. You're waaaaaay above the recommended specs.

There's absolutely no reason to get this on the PS4.

Sectus

Parts of REmaster is 30fps regardless (like all pre-rendered cutscenes and some backgrounds in the game). Pretty sure that's why they locked it to 30.

Pre ordered. Never played before.I have very minimal experience playing the RE series despite loving the survival horror genre. I've beaten RE4+5, but I imagine this game is much different than those games.

Evil Within was my GOTY of 2014 because of it bringing me back to old school 3rd person survival horror games on the PS2, hope this replicates similar feelings. Any tips for a first timer? I think I'll start with Normal mode/tank controls.

Nice to see a fellow Evil Within fan.

Some tips:
- Play as Jill first:
. Cons: She has less health and deals less damage to enemies than Chris.
. Pros: 2 more inventory spaces, access to better weaponry, starts with lock pick (eliminating the need to find and carry extra keys), Barry helps out at certain scenarios giving her an easier time than Chris.

- If you kill an enemy but their head remains intact, then you have to burn them using a lighter and a fuel canteen. Otherwise they come back to life stronger than ever. They don't come back immediately, so don't completely freak out.

- Aim up while using the shotgun for an (almost) guaranteed headshot. Line up more than one zombie to take them all in one hit!

- Don't save each time you pass by a safe room. I know it's tempting as a first time player, but you risk screwing yourself later in the game by not having enough ribbons. On the other hand, don't freak out too badly about the ribbons either, there is enough to save comfortably. Just use them wisely.

- Use the check/examine function in the inventory screen on each item you pick up. You will need to rotate some items in order to get a better description of them.

- Press the run button + down to do a 180 degree turn. Definite life saver.

- Pressing the aim button the will automatically aim at the closest enemy. Press L1 (I think) while holding it to switch targets. If auto aim doesn't snap to a corpse, that means that the enemy is dead and you can move on.

- Have fun!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I think I might make a mod for unlimited ink ribbons. I know it's classic RE to manage inventory, but doing it with ink ribbons was always annoying to me.

misterck

To the guys in EU/UK hoping to get this from the PSN store at midnight tonight I wouldn't get your hopes up, it most likely won't be added till store updates Wednesday afternoon.

joe2187

Banned
I think I might make a mod for unlimited ink ribbons. I know it's classic RE to manage inventory, but doing it with ink ribbons was always annoying to me.

Very Easy mode gives you like 10 ribbons everytime you find a new one, by the end of your first game run, you'll have found at least 100 ink ribbons

also it's pretty hard to die in easy mode since you'll have SOOOOOO much ammo and health items.

To the guys in EU/UK hoping to get this from the PSN store at midnight tonight I wouldn't get your hopes up, it most likely won't be added till store updates Wednesday afternoon.

Grim Fandango is coming to EU PSN on the same day as it hits NA PSN

you gotta believe

strafer

Some tips:
- Play as Jill first:
. Pros: 2 more inventory spaces, access to better weaponry, starts with lock pick (eliminating the need to find and carry extra keys), Barry helps out at certain scenarios giving her an easier time than Chris.

- If you kill an enemy but their head remains intact, then you have to burn them using a lighter and a fuel canteen. Otherwise they come back to life stronger than ever. They don't come back immediately, so don't completely freak out.

- Aim up while using the shotgun for an (almost) guaranteed headshot. Line up more than one zombie to take them all in one hit!

- Don't save each time you pass by a safe room. I know it's tempting as a first time player, but you risk screwing yourself later in the game by not having enough ribbons. On the other hand, don't freak out too badly about the ribbons either, there is enough to save comfortably. Just use them wisely.

- Use the check/examine function in the inventory screen on each item you pick up. You will need to rotate some items in order to get a better description of them.

- Pressing the aim button the will automatically aim at the closest enemy. Press L1 (I think) while holding it to switch targets. If auto aim doesn't snap to a corpse, that means that the enemy is dead and you can move on.

- Have fun!

imma use these tips too, but do I miss out on story stuff if go with Jill first ?

SDCowboy

Very Easy mode gives you like 10 ribbons everytime you find a new one, by the end of your first game run, you'll have found at least 100 ink ribbons

also it's pretty hard to die in easy mode since you'll have SOOOOOO much ammo and health items.

There is a very easy with more ribbons? Ok, I'm in. lol

Darknight

Its a port with some improvements. What else is there to speculate? REV2 is a new game on a new engine or at least an engine suited for current consoles.

Cudder

Some tips:
- Play as Jill first:

- Have fun!

Thanks for the tips. So if an enemy still has their head they can come back to life ala Evil Within?

Also do I have a knife, and if so should I use it to conserve ammo? Should I at all try running from enemies rather than using ammo on them?

Darknight

imma use these tips too, but do I miss out on story stuff if go with Jill first ?

I think you have to play with both to see some extra scenes with them. I think with Chris you meet Rebecca or something. So its meant to be played at least 2 runs with each. Just play with Jill first.

Both scenarios are slightly alternate version of the same story, so no. (Though the canonical story is a mix of both scenarios, even though that's actually impossible.)

Imo some reveals in Jill's scenario work better without having played Chris's first while it doesn't really matter in Chris's scenario but overall you can start with either character without losing something important.

joe2187

Banned

The campaign is pretty much the same for each character however Jill interacts with Barry while Chris interacts with Rebecca with some key moments for each characters.

There is a very easy with more ribbons? Ok, I'm in. lol

It's called Very Easy mode for a reason, they drop items on you like a motherfucker. so many Ink ribbons, so much grenade launcher ammo, magnum ammo and health sprays.

Thanks for the tips. So if an enemy still has their head they can come back to life ala Evil Within?

Also do I have a knife, and if so should I use it to conserve ammo? Should I at all try running from enemies rather than using ammo on them?

If they have a head and arent burned, then they will come back to life eventually. AND THEY WILL FUCK YOU UP HARD!

The knife is a pro weapon, not as effective against crimson heads and hunters. The best advice is "KILL only when necessary", otherwise just leave em be lest you incur the wrath of the crimson head.

for Jill she needs to have a lighter and a flask of kerosene on hand to burn bodies, so that's two inventory slots being used up. Chris has a lighter already equipped and only needs a kerosene flask, however finding Kerosene and refuelling is tedious so I would only use it on bodies in areas you need to backtrack through

nOoblet16

How in the world can this not be 60 on PS4? lol Oh well, I'm still probably gonna get it.

It's not for performance reasons. It's probably due to the fact that the game has a lot of things that refresh at 30FPS such as background animation, video files (background animations are video also files in most cases for this game by the way). Which is why playing this at 60FPS would make for an inconsistent experience. The only reason why they aren't locking this on PC too is because the PC community hates locked framerates and would prefer options.

-Higher framerate
-Theres talks we may be able to remove door animations on the loading screens possibly

Oh man that would be fantastic if we could play the wntire game with no door animation loading screen.

strafer

I think you have to play with both to see some extra scenes with them. I think with Chris you meet Rebecca or something. So its meant to be played at least 2 runs with each. Just play with Jill first.

Both scenarios are slightly alternate version of the same story, so no. (Though the canonical story is a mix of both scenarios, even though that's actually impossible.)

Imo some reveals in Jill's scenario work better without having played Chris's first while it doesn't really matter in Chris's scenario but overall you can start with either character without losing something important.

The campaign is pretty much the same for each character however Jill interacts with Barry while Chris interacts with Rebecca with some key moments for each characters.

Thanks!

Top Bottom