• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

strafer

I just might play this game on easy since i'm more interested in the story.

Might do a second playthrough on a higher difficulty later.

How long is this game anyway? I've only ever played the original RE1 on PS1

It's hard to say without knowing how much you're going to aimlessly wander around, most people need about 7 hours on a first run through it seems. Can't remember what my time was all those years back but probably around that time too.

To maybe get a more accurate comparison. When I play through the original, not trying to speed-run but knowing what to do, just going through all the motions it takes me about 2 hours with Jill and 2:15 with Chris. In the REmake it's about 3:30 with either character, so take the time you need for the original RE1 and add it to that.

Once.

I played the original Resident Evil one time as a little kid and I cried like a little girl.

Once I was actually able to handle horror around the age of 7, I played through RE3: Nemesis and loved the hell out of it, since then (now being 20), I've played every RE game since.

So as you can imagine, I'm pretty damn hype, now the only question is, PC or PS4?

Rough specs: i7, GTX 680 oc'd, W7, 8GB Ram. Is this good enough for max settings and 60 FPS?

mattp

pro tip: don't combine/stack ink ribbons. keep them all as separate "piles" of 1-3 ink ribbons
this way you can make runs where you carry 1 ink ribbon with you, and then when you save it opens up an item slot for whatever item/ammo you're going to pick up soon

joe2187

Banned
I'd like to know this, too. I haven't played this since it came out on the Saturn and I never got anywhere in it. lol

My first run through was about 10 hours on very easy due to it being my first time through and that was with me fucking around alot and getting lost and backtracking.

My second run through was also 10 hours on Hard mode with chris, but thats mostly because I was trying my best not to die, especially when you only get a total of 25 ink ribbons throughout the entire game and you have to be very mindful of your ammo and health items. otherwise you'll end up fighting the final boss with a knife....twice.

pro tip: don't combine/stack ink ribbons. keep them all as separate "piles" of 1-3 ink ribbons
this way you can make runs where you carry 1 ink ribbon with you, and then when you save it opens up an item slot for whatever item/ammo you're going to pick up soon

Every type writer, except for the one in the dining hall, comes with it's own item box in the same room, so that's not really necessary.

Sectus

Once.

I played the original Resident Evil one time as a little kid and I cried like a little girl.

Once I was actually able to handle horror around the age of 7, I played through RE3: Nemesis and loved the hell out of it, since then (now being 20), I've played every RE game since.

So as you can imagine, I'm pretty damn hype, now the only question is, PC or PS4?

Rough specs: i7, GTX 680 oc'd, W7, 8GB Ram. Is this good enough for max settings and 60 FPS?
I haven't played the PC version, but I'm willing to bet that's more than good enough. The system requirements are really low, and MT Framework games tend to be extremely well optimized for PC.

Ah Good tip!

Also Invisible Enemy mode? Dafuq

mattp

Every type writer, except for the one in the dining hall, comes with it's own item box in the same room, so that's not really necessary.

i could have sworn there were more type writers without boxes haha. i'm just so used to doing this in all "classic" resident evil games, in general

but whatever, my tip still stands because if you pull 1 ink ribbon out of the item box and use it to save, now you don't have to put the "stack" back in the box before leaving

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's hard to say without knowing how much you're going to aimlessly wander around, most people need about 7 hours on a first run through it seems. Can't remember what my time was all those years back but probably around that time too.

To maybe get a more accurate comparison. When I play through the original, not trying to speed-run but knowing what to do, just going through all the motions it takes me about 2 hours with Jill and 2:15 with Chris. In the REmake it's about 3:30 with either character, so take the time you need for the original RE1 and add it to that.

Not even. If you know the general locations of the items and where to go to get the next one you can get the sub-2 hour time for the REmake of the original/directors cut of Bio1.

mattp said:

No, combine them. Unless my memory is rusty the "magic store boxes" are in 80% of locations and the dumping the ribbon in the first slot of the store-box isn't going to cut into your completion time once you get used to X->X->Triangle->Triangle-ing.

Yeah, it's kinda bullshit of a "reward" to have that be perma-on once you have all the outfits. :/ I hope there's a mod for the PC version to turn that off if Capcom didn't add that. Worst thing about the Gamecube version.

No, wait. I'm thinking that one "Nemesis"-like mode.

joe2187

Banned
Ah Good tip!

Invisible Enemy mode turns every enemy....INVISIBLE!

there's also the Indestructable zombie mode, where it adds a re-occurring special zombie that chases you throughout the mansion and if you shoot him HE EXPLODES AND KILLS YOU!

Also the Real Survival mode is basically hard mode, with less items, ammo MANUAL AIMING and none of your Item Boxes are linked....so the backtracking will be immense.

Neff

I'm curious what the main issue is for people who can't handle tank controls. The base funcionality is incredibly simple, you press left, you turn left, you press right, you turn right, down is back, up is forward.

Now the one thing I can understand is that some people just can't keep their directions straight with changing camera angles, sure, it sounds simple on paper, press left to turn left from the characters point of view but I can honestly see how this might take a while to master for some people. When I first started driving I often got confused as to which direction I have to turn the wheel when driving backwards, so I'm not really one to talk here.

But then a lot of people also have issues with RE4's tank controls and that's were the former explanation doesn't work anymore. Or how about "Aiming with the left stick is horrible and unintuitive!". Is it just a vocal minority and most people don't care either way or is there actually something legitimately difficult about these things?

People suck at games, and prefer games not to remind them about this, ideally by offering controls schemes they're used to.

Not even. If you know the general locations of the items and where to go to get the next one you can get the sub-2 hour time for the REmake of the original/directors cut of Bio1.

No doubt, but there's really no other way to make a somewhat accurate comparison about both game's playtime than to resort to your own time as long as you keep up the same playstyle for both. Personally I don't like skipping too many rooms even if there's just ammo I know I won't be needing or a map.

Arsenic13

I think Capcom has some good artists working with them that can approach the quality of REmake. They just need to use them in a focused, slow paced horror game. Some really nice areas in RE6 are overlooked, because you run through them.

The whole Chinese market district in RE6 Chris' campaign has some fairly nice art direction (minus a few unfinished textures).

8E0C61690A50BE4645FFD2B79126C9E2346F637D

Grief.exe

I think Capcom has some good artists working with them that can approach the quality of REmake. They just need to use them in a focused, slow paced horror game. Some really nice areas in RE6 are overlooked, because you run through them.

The whole Chinese market district in RE6 Chris' campaign has some fairly nice art direction (minus a few unfinished textures).

I hope this sells well enough for Capcom to greenlight a REmake 2. They could do an excellent job provided they follow the same formula set in place by the original REmake.

Of course, keep the background 3D rather than pre-rendered for posterity.

strafer

I loved that area.

Xpliskin

Well, I highly doubt this.

RE5/6 showed that their creative workforce in terms of environments isn't as good as it used to be (tankers, asian/african markets, generic catacombs/ruins, generic labs, ... ).
When we bring it up, our art director rambles about it endlessly lol
("What do you think about RE's environment art?" *2 hour political speech*)

Tango Gameworks takes the cake, they excel in that department.

But now that TEW is out, I hope they get inspired by it.

Arsenic13

Well, I highly doubt this.

RE5/6 showed that their creative workforce in terms of environments isn't as good as it used to be (tankers, asian/african markets, generic catacombs/ruins, generic labs, ... ).
When we bring it up, our art director rambles about it endlessly lol
("What do you think about RE's environment art?" *2 hour political speech*)

Tango Gameworks takes the cake, they excel in that department.

But now that TEW is out, I hope they get inspired by it.

RE6 was a team of about 200 people doing what Capcom wanted: to make a big, "epic" action game to attract the COD audience (their words). If Capcom sees financial success out of these slower paced games (which they might given Revelation 2's subdued budget and scope), we might see something along the lines of what fans want.

I wrote an article about how Remastered is probably the most important game in the Resident Evil series right now, from a business point of view.

Fans demanding a game of a certain type is one thing, those fans investing in those games with cash, hard sales figures, is what motivates a company primarily.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/article...il-port-may-be-the-most-important-one-of-all/

Gears

So just wondering as I'm not really confident on this. My PC is around the specs for the recommended on steam (I have a gtx 460 instead though, worse I know) but I'm wondering if I can run it at 60fps. Anyone got an input? I do find it odd that its not 60 on ps4

Just for clarification, im pretty damn sure I CAN run it at 60, but the ps4(which is more powerful than my PC) being locked at 30 makes me wonder at the same time

Torn between getting this on PS4/PC I have the rig capable of playing this at 60+ no problem but I know cutscenes and some backgrounds are going to be stuck at 30 either way so it won't make or break it for em. I can't pass up playing this on my TV and have the choice to remote play on Vita will probably wait for a sale on PSN or something.

Will probably end up getting it for both knowing me. I already have the original gamecube discs still and the Wii Archives version as well. Someone make me stop buying this game PLS.

tesqui

Nice to know that this gameplay style is still loved by many. Maybe an indie game in this survival horror style would succeed after all.

tagrat

Torn between getting this on PS4/PC I have the rig capable of playing this at 60+ no problem but I know cutscenes and some backgrounds are going to be stuck at 30 either way so it won't make or break it for em. I can't pass up playing this on my TV and have the choice to remote play on Vita will probably wait for a sale on PSN or something.

This is my problem. I really want to play on the TV for the most part. I could always haul my desktop in there, but I really like the fact that I can do that on PS4, have remote play when I want, and also stream super easily on my PS4. My wife is living in another state for a job and I think she should enjoy watching me play.

Well technically the game can be beaten in under 3 hours if you know exactly what your doing. But for a normal play through it's a full 20-25 hour experience.

Wut?

Even if someone never played this style of game before, I can't imagine them taking more than 15 hours. Even then, the average is probably around 10+ hours.

Big Chungus

played the original, directors cut and remake so many time but always on normal difficulty.

might try out hard mode this time around.

joe2187

Banned
played the original, directors cut and remake so many time but always on normal difficulty.

might try out hard mode this time around.

Save your magnum ammo

When using the shotgun, wait for them to lunge at you aim up and shoot for 50/50 chance at a headshot.

Save only when necessary, otherwise you will lose all of your ink ribbons.

Dont every let a zombie become a crimson head.

use your defensive weapons.

if playing as chris, dont save anybody.

Big Chungus

Save your magnum ammo

When using the shotgun, wait for them to lunge at you aim up and shoot for 50/50 chance at a headshot.

Save only when necessary, otherwise you will lose all of your ink ribbons.

Dont every let a zombie become a crimson head.

use your defensive weapons.

if playing as chris, dont save anybody.

its that hard?

damn lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'd like to know this, too. I haven't played this since it came out on the Saturn and I never got anywhere in it. lol

The time it takes to beat the game can vary greatly due to how the game is designed. Resident Evil REmake was my first classic-style survival-horror game, and my second horror game ever, and my final play-time ended up being something like 19 hours because I didn't know what to do at several moments and some parts of me being scared and going through areas slowly and such.

I expect those more transversed in the genre and able to figure out where to go and elements of it quicker to take between 6-12 hours the first time. If you know what you're doing, though, it can very easily take 4-6 hours. And if you speed-run it, it's very possible to beat it in 2-4 hours. I believe you unlock a secret if you beat the game in under 3 hours.

However, there is a good amount of replayability here too. Jill and Chris both have different enough campaigns that it is worth going through both of them, they have differences in gameplay and their stories and cutscenes are completely different.

And there's a few unlockable costumes, weapons, and modes when you beat the game and accomplish things in the game, which I won't list here, but are fun.

Rflagg

The indie horror scene on PC is massive.

Yes it is and I am glad it exists, but it seems most are in the style of outlast where all you do is run and hide and to me this becomes less scary then having to fight it out at times.

I was looking over the trophies as I might go after a plat here, is survivor mode just "hard" mode?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I just might play this game on easy since i'm more interested in the story.

Might do a second playthrough on a higher difficulty later.

I honestly don't think you need to go to easy, it really isn't that hard. There's been a lot of talk about inventory management, ink ribbons and Crimson heads which is making it sound more hardcore than it actually is. I think you would be doing the game a disservice by not playing on the intended difficulty, which is perfectly balanced. The game will be made even easier if you intend to use the default non-tank controls aswell. Combined these could effectively destroy the tension. For what it's worth I thought Alien Isolation was harder.

As far as the game's length is concerned, I'd be fairly confident it would be a 9 or 10 hour game for a newcomer.

Top Bottom