• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

how come the consoles versions run at 30 FPS and the PC ver is 60 FPS?

i mean the backgrounds are pre rendered, and there are only a few real time characters on screen. WTF capcom?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gorgeous.

I am curious though, why did they choose to remake some backgrounds? Was there a problem with the originals that they had to be redone?

Yeah, the game actually utilized FMV Video files in a lot of locations on the gamcube version, they couldnt just reuse the same videos since there would be noticeable artifacting.

In the shot you quoted, the fireplace etc is all a looping video file in the original GC game.

Sadist

Not gonna doubledip yet, but I'll keep an eye on the thread just to watch all of the Resi virgins getting their master unlocking on.

Can't wait for the many "cabin" freakouts

And for people playing RE1 for the first time, this game does not hold your hand. Prepare to die, a lot. Check every room for Ink Ribbons, as you will need them. Rule of thumb for me, is if you don't know what is around the next corner then save if you haven't in the last 5 - 10 minutes (if you're near a Typewriter and have enough Ink Ribbons). Sometimes backtracking a little bit to save is never a bad thing.
Yeah, important tip there. Search all of the drawers/cabinets!

Mind your surroundings as well btw. If you use a certain path more than once, revisiting it could proof... troublesome.

Moehahahaha.

Not gonna doubledip yet, but I'll keep an eye on the thread just to watch all of the Resi virgins getting their master unlocking on.

And for people playing RE1 for the first time, this game does not hold your hand. Prepare to die, a lot. Check every room for Ink Ribbons, as you will need them. Rule of thumb for me, is if you don't know what is around the next corner then save if you haven't in the last 5 - 10 minutes (if you're near a Typewriter and have enough Ink Ribbons). Sometimes backtracking a little bit to save is never a bad thing.

Astral

I just started downloading it. I'm excited as fuck. This and Code Veronica are the only RE games I haven't played (and Revelaitons I guess). I've always been so bad at the older RE games though. I can't even imagine beating them with only one or two saves. I'm always too scared of dying.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I always found it slightly strange that people found
the cabin so memorable, but hardly ever mention the section where you are trapped in Lisa's lair. The cabin was a great intro but I thought the later section was way more intense.

I just started downloading it. I'm excited as fuck. This and Code Veronica are the only RE games I haven't played (and Revelaitons I guess). I've always been so bad at the older RE games though. I can't even imagine beating them with only one or two saves. I'm always too scared of dying.

It's not a popular opinion around these parts, but imo Code Veronica is the second best old-style RE after REmake. Give the HD version a go when you finish REmake

Bumhead

Banned
Spending my night tonight watching a complete run through of RE2 on YouTube.

I can't wait for tomorrow to play this. Going to be sat at work tomorrow like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Astral

the cabin so memorable, but hardly ever mention the section where you are trapped in Lisa's lair. The cabin was a great intro but I thought the later section was way more intense.

It's not a popular opinion around these parts, but imo Code Veronica is the second best old-style RE after REmake. Give the HD version a go when you finish REmake

I've been meaning to but it's pretty damn expensive. I was hoping the PS Now trial included it but I guess now I'll just rent it for a day or two since it's so short.

Sadist

Well, you're not wrong.

Encountering Lisa for the first time is a big what the fuck moment in general. You only encountered Cerberus and zombies at this point, so bumping in to her is a bit mindblowing. But don't worry, the underground catacombs are pretty intense as well. Her "room" containing all of these items of her past is amazing as well. Very eerie.

Savitar

I remember when I got this on the GC back in the day, even got a free shirt come with it. And that was from Wal Mart which surprised me at the time, wore the shirt until it became ragged and had to be thrown away.

Still hate Crimson heads.

Synless

I discovered that preordering from the Playstaton App doesn't send start the preload process. How worthless is that?

deeptech

I don't have a copy of it around. Although I'm sure as hell going to get one as soon as I can.

Oh that sucks. I thought of replaying classic RE1 but was too lazy :D

Gonna bring on the Remaster right away , so hyped for it. Hope Capcom finally remakes RE2 after this

Mr_Zombie

Go look at the store title on Steam...

Capcom doesn't know how to make region-specific subs for whatever reason.

Capcom is awful with this. Right now I have these on Steam:

Resident Evil / biohazard
resident evil 4 / biohazard 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6
Resident Evil Revelations / Biohazard Revelations

All titlecase here, all lowercase there; and then there's REmake with both title- and lowercase and RE5 with no Japanese title. Fuck consistency!

Bumhead

Banned
It's a $20 remaster and they can just brute force 60fps on the PC.

Aye.

To be honest the selling point for me here is that I don't have to keep a GameCube knocking around to play it. I'll keep this hush so Capcom don't hear, but I'd still have bought this if they just dumped the GameCube version on PC/PSN/XBL and had done with. Anything else is an extra. I'm fine with 30fps.

Cajun

Neo Member
Absolutely playing this at midnight tonight. Haven't played through this in years, as I lost Disc 1 almost a decade ago.

Also, I'm extremely excited to see all the people who never owned a Gamecube/Wii get a chance to play this. Tied with SH2 as my favorite Survival Horror title. Good luck guys, try not to die too much (you will, and you'll love it).

Exodist

Broken record, but never go by the store unlock timer. It almost always configured incorrectly.

Sounds like Capcom is targeting a worldwide release of 9 pm Pacific.

I have to admit I've never really pre-loaded much on Steam so I'm not much experienced in it, but I certainly hope so as 6pm would be pretty shitty.

So I'm guessing even though the UK release is tomorrow we won't get the game on PSN until Wednesday. Is this a correct assumption or are they making an exception here?

Looks like this will unlock for me at 11pm. D: Can't wait!

Question about the crimson heads though.
Do they only spawn in the mansion section? I don't recall them being a problem in the Guardhouse section.
Been a while since I've done a fresh run with no RL or samurai edge.

Do they only spawn in the mansion section? I don't recall them being a problem in the Guardhouse section.

They do spawn in the guardhouse but you barely have to visit any room with zombies in it twice, so you can completly bypass them.

For folks who are playing this on PC with a controller, which controller are you using? I'm trying to decide between DualShock 4, 360 or Xbone controller.

how come the consoles versions run at 30 FPS and the PC ver is 60 FPS?

i mean the backgrounds are pre rendered, and there are only a few real time characters on screen. WTF capcom?

Gaben_sl.jpg

Aye.

To be honest the selling point for me here is that I don't have to keep a GameCube knocking around to play it. I'll keep this hush so Capcom don't hear, but I'd still have bought this if they just dumped the GameCube version on PC/PSN/XBL and had done with. Anything else is an extra. I'm fine with 30fps.
Right there with you. With no access to a GCN for almost a decade (and no rig capable of Dolphin) I'm beyond ecstatic.

If this sells well enough and continues to get positive feedback, surely it would tell Capcom what people prefer out of future titles, as well as the possibility of other remasters. A friend of mine bought the PS3, PS4, and Steam version of this but he's more batshit insane about the series than I am. I will likely end up with the Xbox One and PS4 versions.

Grief.exe

For folks who are playing this on PC with a controller, which controller are you using? I'm trying to decide between DualShock 4, 360 or Xbone controller.

I'll use the 360 controller as always.

I'm playing using KB/M, but I would imagine you are going to want the controller with the best dpad so XBO or DS4.

Does RE hold up if you've never played the original? Wondering how much nostalgia factor there is, in regards to enjoying the game

First time experiencing RE1 in any form, and I'm extremely sucked in.

zXe

What country do you reside?

Levito

Banned
Still think there's a good chance that Capcom is re-releasing this to "test the waters" as it were. To see if a pure survival horror Resident Evil game can do well in today's market.

So, I really hope everyone buys it. :)

Top Bottom