• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Put my game to download on the XB1 this morning before leaving for work. Very excited to go home and give it a whirl. Girlfriend and I are planning on shutting out the lights, burning a couple of candles and enjoying this for the first time.

Quick (and probably obvious) question, it's possible to switch between legacy and updated controls mid-gameplay correct? I want to try out the tank controls and see what all the fuss is about.

Question regarding the dog whistle.

Once blown on the balcony the dogs come running towards you. One of them pushed my down on the floor and I couldn't fight him off and he killed me. Is there a way to push the dog of you when he's attacking you on the floor?
Yes, waggle the dpad or left analog stick (I also press some buttons, don't know if necessary).

Diablos54

About to walk in the front door, can't wait to jump into this. Played the DC version on Vita a few months ago but this is a completely different monster!

Put my game to download on the XB1 this morning before leaving for work. Very excited to go home and give it a whirl. Girlfriend and I are planning on shutting out the lights, burning a couple of candles and enjoying this for the first time.

Quick (and probably obvious) question, it's possible to switch between legacy and updated controls mid-gameplay correct? I want to try out the tank controls and see what all the fuss is about.

Yeah, and you can switch between 16:9 and 4:3 in game also. Switching controls and aspect ratio is good cos you can compare them directly early on and get a feel for which you prefer. It's good they set it up like that.

Unai

I was laying out the situation for anyone reading who wasn't clear on what they were actually doing/hadn't thought about it much, like me.

I think the solution makes sense if your main priority is to spend as little money as possible, but not for any creative reason which is the only thing I care about. If they want to spend less money and release something, fine, but I think it's to be expected that people call you out on it when it starts to negatively impact the game.

So it's a port of the game, sure, but the main reason to re-release something (besides money) is to make it more compatible with modern technology or platforms. I mean, we're only talking about expanding by 1/3 a few dozen static images. There might have been some issues with small rooms being expanded, in which case zoom and pan might have been the only solution, but otherwise would it have killed them to invest a little to maintain a standard of quality which is up to the original's ambitions?

I thought there was a thousand or so of them? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

bosseye

Just bought this on the webstore. Need to get the wife to turn on the PS4 so it starts downloading....

Can't wait, love the original, love the Gamecube version.

Nah, this looks WAY better. PS4 version.

wow, really?
can anyone show me some comparison shots that show the ps4 version looks "WAY" better than the gamecube one on a sdtv
(I've google searched but to me it looks pretty much identical apart from some backgrounds that look a little fuzzy)
I'm very tempted to get it if it's that much better looking

Afro

my previous pic was blown up by accident. here's a better one. sparce grid ss AA w/ LOD at -1.0. looks beauty! original aspect is king.

304240_2015-01-20_000mjk3t.jpg

Uthred

It is really transparent laziness and penny-pinching.

It's certainly motivated by budget i.e. the latter but I sincerely doubt its the former. Saying its lazy implies that the only reason it wasnt done is because the people working on it were unwilling to put in the work when realistically its because the publisher was unwilling to put in the money. I really wish people would stop describing stuff like this as "lazy".

Guys, is this cross-buy on PS3/PS4 or was that only if pre-ordered?

Sorry if it's been asked before. Went back a few pages, didn't find anything.

liquidtmd

Banned
It's certainly motivated by budget i.e. the latter but I sincerely doubt its the former. Saying its lazy implies that the only reason it wasnt done is because the people working on it were unwilling to put in the work when realistically its because the publisher was unwilling to put in the money. I really wish people would stop describing stuff like this as "lazy".

There was a real earnestness about the guys being interviewed behind the remaster, a labour of love.

Throw stones at Capcom management but drive-by 'lazy' comments is making a lot of assumption and derogatory impression.

Man, I tried it for about five minutes last night on PS4 before bed, and holy crap does it look beautiful. Can't wait for school to finish so I can go home and keep playing.

gelf

Dunno, I remember always having problem on reaching police station without killing zombies to spawn the helicopter pilot and grab costumes, while in RE1 DC never had a problem (PSX version).
Thats just an optional challenge to get costumes though, its not a reflection of the overall challenge of the game. The opening is still probably the hardest thing in RE2 though.

Saphirax

Urghhh, I'm conflicted. I really want to play this right now, but I don't have a PS4 yet. I initially thought I could play a bit of the PS3 version and then continue on the PS4, but the game not supporting cross-save makes things harder.

Well, finished my normal Chris run.
About 8 hours(paused for 1), not bad for a game I haven't played in 10+ years.

REmaster is awesome, man it looks so beautiful.

Chabbles

Edit,
Why do the PS4 shots look like they have a color range issue? It looks like the same thing as running a display at Full RGB while the console is set to limited (and vice versa). I know the PS4 version doesn't look like that because of gameplay videos and screen shots.

Yeah i noticed this and done a test, seems this LGP capture card im using gives a washed out look at Full RGB. Pictures below are more accurate comparison.

PS3
ps3_1.png

PS4
limited3.png

PS3
20141220180151.png

PS4
limited2.png

There was a real earnestness about the guys being interviewed behind the remaster, a labour of love.

Throw stones at Capcom management but drive-by 'lazy' comments is making a lot of assumption and derogatory impression.

Yep, you're right. I should have just criticised the lack of money put into it - laziness has nothing to do with it.

PS3
ps3_1.png

PS4
ps4_1.png

PS3
ps3_2.png

PS4
ps4_2.png

PS3
ps3_3.png

PS4
ps4_3.png

PS3
ps3_4.png

PS4
ps4_4.png

Why do the PS4 shots look like they have a color range issue? It looks like the same thing as running a display at Full RGB while the console is set to limited (and vice versa). I know the PS4 version doesn't look like that because of gameplay videos and screen shots.

WITHE1982

Rnr1224

Just bought this and I am downloading it now. Ive been in the mood for a good survival horror game and this seems to fit the bill. It'll be my first time playing it!

Really want to buy this now but I think I'll wait for the 10% discount this weekend on the PS Store.
The wait is killing me, I enjoyed this game so much on the GameCube when it first came out.

onken

How are the modern controls?

Fine. Definitely makes it a bit easier on the (close) combat front since you can run away much easier now. Having said that I don't feel bad at all because of all the times I've run right into a silent zombie waiting just off-camera (that the player-character would have been staring right at).

You also sometimes end up running backwards on yourself since the controls are relative to the camera which jumps around as you move from screen to screen. It's not a big deal though.

Jinroh

So I bought it both on PC and PS4/PS3, but I'd like to compare those two console versions.

- The sound quality on PS4 very seems better, less muffled.
- Loadings are similar, from what I've they aren't really shorter on PS4.
- Loadings on PS4 feature the OS's loading bar on top of the game, it looks very bad.
- The PS4 version is 1080p, but it doesn't make much difference.

Overall I don't think it's a good port, especially when compared to the PC version. Nothing justifies such long loading times (and the loading bar for the PS4 version), and I'm pretty sure 60 fps was achievable on consoles.

I know it's common to hear that for such a game 60 fps isn't useful. But trust me, play this game once at 60 fps, and it will be hard to go back to the 30 fps console version.

Saphirax

If you really want to play it, only option is grabbing cross-buy bundle now.
You can always play it again later, but pretty much is the same title, I think you won't miss so much on playing PS3 one.

I will wait a 75% off on Steam because I can't grab it now :S

Yeah, doesn't seem like there's that much of a difference between the two. Think I'll buy the PS3 version and try to get the platinum.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm super on the fence. I'm not a fan of digital only, is there a chance Capcom will "Ducktales Remastered" this game? As in release digital now and release a disc a few months later? I want to bite and $19.99 is a good price but I don't want to get burned if a disc does get released...

I'm super on the fence. I'm not a fan of digital only, is there a chance Capcom will "Ducktales Remastered" this game? As in release digital now and release a disc a few months later? I want to bite and $19.99 is a good price but I don't want to get burned if a disc does get released...

I wouldn't hold my breath

They only released a retail version in asia for the PS3 only

No, at least that is how the PSX and GameCube versions were. Not sure about the Remaster.
thanks

Another question for anyone, iirc the very first zombie is invincible (as Jill at least, I never played Chris). You're supposed to go back to the room with Barry and he kills it, right? I might give my wife a heads up before she starts, I remember wasting ammo on this

Top Bottom