• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Indeed it would have to be remade. But I mean, the groundwork is laid.

Basic art style, story, levels, gameplay, voice acting, music, pacing, enemies, AI, etc. Already done.

That takes a lot less effort than thinking up an entirely new game from scratch.

Which is why "too much work" doesn't make sense to me.

How would it be any more work than Twin Snakes, OoT3D, Halo CE/2 A etc?

Comments from the director of this remaster made it sound that if RE2 was ever remade it might not even end up like this remake (read:it would be a third person shooter). Now, it might still be good but REmake 2 in the exact vein of this one is one of my dream projects and I'm just kinda scared what they would do with it.

Melchiah

So, the game will be out today in Europe, as stated in the OP, and not on wednesday which is the usual PSN store update time?

and for sure RE2 is much, much harder then RE1.

Nooooooooooooope. RE2 is overall the easiest game in the series and the OG RE1 is one of the hardest. Normal Zombies could easily wreck Jill not to mention other enemies. RE2 in Normal (the hardest mode in pretty much every version) is quite easy in comparison. Characters can stand zombies easily, plenty of ammo, no 1-hit KO hazards from normal enemies. That said I haven't played the harder difficulties exclusive to PC version.

Ah ok, I've been using 16x9 the whole time I've been playing. I just now switched to 4x3 and it's a huge difference and a better fov. Not worth playing at 16x9.

Yeah It's just like in movies, fullscreen vs widescreen. The latter option is always better.

EDIT: Basically what you're getting is the complete image instead of the edges being chopped off.

nowarning

I've got a bit on tonight but I'm definitely going to make time to buy this and play a little, I've only played the original RE so I'm really looking forward to it.

Neff

I'm glad this game isn't suffering too much of a flip-flop reception based on modern expectations, even if a few mollycoddled hacks completely miss the point.

Today's gamer really does require minimal resistance between their mission mandate and sweet success, even going so far as to pay real money to up the ante in their favour in the form of DLC and the like. For Capcom to release a game as challenging and unrelentingly old-school as this (and brilliantly so at that, even if they also offer the chance to blitz through it without issue) deserves some degree of admiration and respect I think.

I'm not saying it's a small amount of effort. I'm saying it's less amount of effort than making an entire game, thinking of a story, coming up with an art style/atmosphere, designing characters, designing levels, tweaking pacing, writing diolouge, designing boss fights, inventing gameplay mechanics etc etc etc.

With this, you would have to redo the assets, tweak the controls, smooth out some rough edges and release. Still a lot of work, but again, the game is already written/thought up/paced/ etc.

Twin Snakes was remade from the ground up. As was Halo 2 A. As was Majora's Mask and OoT3D. (Although a asset creation here is obviously not as intensive)

A lot of the creative stuff is done, it's true. But you're really selling short the sheer human effort that will be required to bring a game such as RE2 into existence for a second time. It will require a couple of years to do at least, a big team, and a lot of money.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't normally get angry at reviews or contribute to review threads, and reviews like that Eurogamer one are why I don't pay even the slightest attention to reviews of horror games.

So many attributes which can be interpreted as obtuse, obscure, outdated, clunky or otherwise archaic are EXACTLY the sort of things which add to why I personally really enjoy horror/survival horror games.

Some of the things IGN's 5.9 review of Alien Isolation regarded as negatives were the same reasons it ended up being my Game of the Year for 2014.

You can double down on that when it's a survival horror game which at a core design level is almost two decades old. Still, if you're the EiC at Eurogamer, I think you at least spend 5 minutes researching which of your staff would be best placed to review a 10 year old remake of a 20 year old survival horror game. I don't think that's happened here.

Very poor review all round.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Eurogamer said:
But Resident Evil's puzzle design is difficult by omission: there is a lack of useful guiding clues, and a wearying back and forth between the mansion's different wings to pad out your journey. This is weak game design (even if it has a certain historical, sadistic charm), evidence of a young team of designers being forced to reckon with the novelties of 3D space and the expanse of possibility introduced by disc-based media.

RE needs more handholding and clues, and also the Spencer Mansion suck. PUZZLES AND LACK OF CLUES IS WEAK GAME DESIGN?Jesus Christ, Eurogamer. I thought you were a solid source?

Ok, I'm apparently out of the loop, because last time I paid any attention to this, the EU version apparently didn't have crossbuy, but I just noticed it says on the PS3 store that it is!

Is it crossbuy just for release today, or is that a permenant thing here? Because I'd like to use that 10% off voucher on Friday, but would rather have it on both consoles if it's an either or situation.

gelf

That Eurogamer review is depressing. If anything I'd love even more obtuse puzzles. I always saw them as fairly simple lock and key stuff for the most part, the files explain any remotely confusing ones. And to me getting lost in the mansion is the whole point, I wish I could wipe my memory of the layout to play it afresh.

Afro

The FXAA is gross. You guys using this tweak to force sparce grid ss AA? Aliasing pretty much obliterated, but it's a tad blurry. Any alternative?

liquidtmd

Banned
Ok, I'm apparently out of the loop, because last time I paid any attention to this, the EU version apparently didn't have crossbuy, but I just noticed it says on the PS3 store that it is!

Is it crossbuy just for release today, or is that a permenant thing here? Because I'd like to use that 10% off voucher on Friday, but would rather have it on both consoles if it's an either or situation.

I think Capcom said Cross Buy is for the first two weeks here in the EU

WITHE1982

Cross-buy is available in the EU for 2 weeks only starting today.

edit: Ninja'd

That said for the bit I tested this game I could NOT stand the new control scheme. I have to constantly readjust my stick whenever the camera changes resulting in my character spazzing, and there was even a moment where I got caught in a camera angle change loop and was literally dancing around a zombie.

Eurogamer said:
Then there's the basic frustration of moving through the game world, an unnecessary difficulty derived from the transitions between camera angles which befuddles your fingers as you move from one are to the next only to find that 'up' now equates to 'down'.

It's taken 15 years but maybe now people will understand why tank controls are the only way to go for fixed, switching camera angles.

onken

I'm reading the steam forum and a lot are talking about lag and framerate problems, is this confirmed?

Runs perfectly for me. 4770k, 780Ti

The FXAA is gross. You guys using this tweak to force sparce grid ss AA? Aliasing pretty much obliterated, but it's a tad blurry. Any alternative?

Yeah I just turned AA off completely.

Love it so far but annoying one pixel white border all the way around the screen grr.

You know, for a game they are charging a decent price for, the zoom + pan solution to turning a 4:3 game widescreen is really lazy.

Resident Evil poses an unusual problem with changing aspect ratio, since unlike 3D games, there just isn't any more to fit into the frame. The backgrounds were only rendered in 4:3. So if you were turning it widescreen, you had two options:

1. Just zoom in and pan
2. Design additional images to put in the areas 4:3 doesn't cover.

2 would have taken a lot of work, but I'd say it is impossible to argue that simply zooming in and panning a bit is a better solution. The composition of the backgrounds is ruined by zooming in. The panning is better than having nothing done at all, but you'll still never have the entire image on screen at once. The biggest advantage of pre-rendered backgrounds is that it allows designers to create areas which are more cinematic and look great. Playing in widescreen mode sacrifices some of that.

Having said that, the black bars have become a bit of an eyesore for me too, now. So I'm tempted to play widescreen anyway - haven't made my mind up yet.

I wish I didn't have to decide. I wish they'd just done a proper job in this area. It is really transparent laziness and penny-pinching. I suppose I should have done more research about what their widescreen method was before buying it - it probably wouldn't have changed my mind this time, because I wanted to play this game again, but I'm definitely not impressed by what they've done here either.

Yuterald

I pre-loaded this on PS4 last night, but I'm not sure if I'll get around to it anytime soon. Already played the balls out of the GC version back in the day (did Invisible Enemy mode and got Mikami's message) and all that good stuff, but the port looks too good not to support. Although, I'm definitely in the mood for some proper Mikami after that Evil Within stank.

Unai

You know, for a game they are charging a decent price for, the zoom + pan solution to turning a 4:3 game widescreen is really lazy.

Resident Evil poses an unusual problem with changing aspect ratio, since unlike 3D games, there just isn't any more to fit into the frame. The backgrounds were only rendered in 4:3. So if you were turning it widescreen, you had two options:

1. Just zoom in and pan
2. Design additional images to put in the areas 4:3 doesn't cover.

2 would have taken a lot of work, but I'd say it is impossible to argue that simply zooming in and panning a bit is a better solution. The composition of the backgrounds is ruined by zooming in. The panning is better than having nothing done at all, but you'll still never have the entire image on screen at once. The biggest advantage of pre-rendered backgrounds is that it allows designers to create areas which are more cinematic and look great. Playing in widescreen mode sacrifices some of that.

Having said that, the black bars have become a bit of an eyesore for me too, now. So I'm tempted to play widescreen anyway - haven't made my mind up yet.

I wish I didn't have to decide. I wish they'd just done a proper job in this area. It is really transparent laziness and penny-pinching. I suppose I should have done more research about what their widescreen method was before buying it - it probably wouldn't have changed my mind this time, because I wanted to play this game again, but I'm definitely not impressed by what they've done here either.

Of course zooming in and panning is not the best solution. I doubt anyone would argue otherwise. Thing is, it's the solution that makes more sense for a remaster like this one, budget wise.

L.O.R.D

i don't know
but the game feel laggy to me
and the running , she look she running inside water in slow motion
also , the lib sync is wrong , i can hear the sound before it happen

Afro

Is it directx 9? Maybe we can downsample it through GeDoSaTo to minimize aliasing in the character models.

here's mine with -1.0 LOD bias (no idea if that's too low/not low enough). looks decent sitting back in my chair.

edit: pic on next page

JimPanzer

Anyone have any remote play impressions for this?

it's great! I'm using the Type B control scheme and it works flawlessly, obviously looks gorgeous on the vita screen. only problem I had was some audio-desync after a couple of hours of playing in one session, reseting the connection fixed that.

Question regarding the dog whistle.

Once blown on the balcony the dogs come running towards you. One of them pushed my down on the floor and I couldn't fight him off and he killed me. Is there a way to push the dog of you when he's attacking you on the floor?

Jinjo

Goddammit. Bought this through my phone at work so I could start playing as soon as I'd get home. But my PS4 HD is full. :'(

Of course zooming in and panning is not the best solution. I doubt anyone would argue otherwise. Thing is, it's the solution that makes more sense for a remaster like this one, budget wise.

I was laying out the situation for anyone reading who wasn't clear on what they were actually doing/hadn't thought about it much, like me.

I think the solution makes sense if your main priority is to spend as little money as possible, but not for any creative reason which is the only thing I care about. If they want to spend less money and release something, fine, but I think it's to be expected that people call you out on it when it starts to negatively impact the game.

So it's a port of the game, sure, but the main reason to re-release something (besides money) is to make it more compatible with modern technology or platforms. I mean, we're only talking about expanding by 1/3 a few dozen static images. There might have been some issues with small rooms being expanded, in which case zoom and pan might have been the only solution, but otherwise would it have killed them to invest a little to maintain a standard of quality which is up to the original's ambitions?

I hear what you're saying with the rest, but (whilst obviously subjective) in terms what they've actually done work wise I'd say $12 is a decidedly very fair price.

Ah, well it cost £16 for me, which is close to $25 I think! It is just a little bit of money, but I might have expected a bit less if it cost been £10 or less.

Top Bottom