• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

I'm playing in 4:3 with original controls. Is this the recommended way?

That's the way to go imo. I guess the 16:9 aspect ratio is a decent alternative but as for the controls, original is the only option as far as I'm concerned. This game has quick turn which makes the tank controls perfectly viable even if you're not used to them at all.

The eurogamer review of this is an absolute joke

Nevertheless, Spencer Mansion ultimately fails as a locale because of its implausibility. It is a place that has been designed in service to the designer's puzzles, rather than vice-versa and, for this reason, feels fake and contrived, characteristics that undermine the horror rather than heighten it.

Yeah, i know when i played REmake the whole time i was fighting zombies, spiders and giant snakes i was like "this is so implausible because who would put a dining room right next to the entrance hall?"

-MD-

Spencer Mansion ultimately fails as a locale because of its implausibility.

izCepng.gif

liquidtmd

Banned

Yeah, i know when i played REmake the whole time i was fighting zombies, spiders and giant snakes i was like "this is so implausible because who would put a dining room right next to the entrance hall?"

Next up: What was the interior designer thinking putting so many slides in a Castle within Mario 64?

Too much work? The game is made. It would take much more work to make an original game.

Compare RE1 to REMake. Sure the fundamental 'plot' and basic design is there, but it's an entirely different project. REMake redid all backgrounds from scratch, all new models, all new V/O, all new audio, new areas, new puzzles.

It's effectively a new game, plus RE2 is bigger in area and scope than PS1 RE1. Even if this remaster sells gangbusters, it's a BIG ask to devote the kind of resources needed to pull it off and be cost effective in terms of sales ratios.

strafer

Well, Eurogamer as a site is a joke so no complete surprise there.

andshrew

In the ps3 japanese release there was an issue with the controls in menus in that in-game you would press circle to accept on screen prompts, but when you went to the inventory screen it reverted to using the cross to accept and circle cancel.

Can anyone confirm this is fixed in the US/UK releases?

Hm, that review is kind of weird coming from eurogamer. Usually they'd be among the ones I'd expect to appreciate this release for what it is.

Too much work? The game is made. It would take much more work to make an original game.

Are you talking about a straight port? Because what people usually want when they ask for a REmake treatment for RE2 is something along the lines of this one, which would require rebuilding the game from scratch.
If that's the case then I apologize, I misunderstood you.

Ryan_MSF

After a couple of hours play i have to say I absolutely adore this game. Started on normal with the original controls, definetly adds to the tension a stupid amount, agree with the other posters RE: the alternate controls, I was running round zombies like they weren't even there. Never picked this up on gamecube due to being a massive wimp back in the day but this is just... Wow.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Do you just want a straight port of 2? Otherwise it'd have to be remade from the ground up.

Indeed it would have to be remade. But I mean, the groundwork is laid.

Basic art style, story, levels, gameplay, voice acting, music, pacing, enemies, AI, etc. Already done.

That takes a lot less effort than thinking up an entirely new game from scratch.

Which is why "too much work" doesn't make sense to me.

How would it be any more work than Twin Snakes, OoT3D, Halo CE/2 A etc?

Drencrom

Game just isn't designed for them or balanced around them. They're functional but I'd never recommend them to someone.

Nothing. I play with them.

I respect people playing with the old controls, im not mad, im not gonna yell.

But I can't play with it, I hate the tank controls.

Never really been a fan of the infamous tank controls so I'll give a try and see if it's better than them.

WITHE1982

Just ordered mine on the PSN and it's downloading to my PS4 now. Gotta wait until after work and after kids are asleep before "I once more enter the world of survival horror." Wish me luck.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
And Eurogamer's transformation into Polygon continues...............

liquidtmd

Banned

Basic art style, story, levels, gameplay, voice acting, music, pacing, enemies, AI, etc. Already done.

That takes a lot less effort than thinking up an entirely new game from scratch.

It's 3,500 plus backgrounds to be modelled afresh, whether they're based on pre-existing designs or not. Remodelled characters. The Voice Acting would be redone probably in terms of being in line with REMake. The AI would have to be redone in terms of the new backdrops.

It's problematic when many in the media will say it's "Just a remake" of a 17 year old game, and how Capcom market it to the non-hardcore masses (which whatever the fanbase will say, WILL be discussed from a business POV).

That said, this time they could launch REMake 2 on PS3/PC/PS4/XB1/360 + whatever else, whereas REMake originally 'failed' expectations as it just hit Gamecube.

I hope you're right.

You're really underestimating the amount of effort that is required. All those 2D backgrounds would have to be redrawn from scratch at a higher res. That's a lot of work.
The cutscenes couldn't be re-used either since they are downright primitive at this point so they'd have to make new ones.
New models for all characters and enemies.

That eurogamer review is mind-boggling. He's literally evaluating the game by today's standards.
Not only that but he's constantly complaining about the mantion's layout. He even points out the fact that it only has one bathroom. WTF?

Holy shit. You're making this up. I don't believe you. No one is that ignorant.

Symphonia

Banned
This is why I've stopped playing for now, feel as though playing during the day is kind of killing the immersion haha!
This is it, this is my first time playing the original since I first played it on PSOne. I want the same feeling of horror and dread now, as I did back then. But it's just so tempting to boot it up and give it a go, perhaps find out why others are eager to see my reaction to the new beastie.

KyleCross

I can't stand tank-controls, it is the main reason I've waited this long before playing these games.

That said for the bit I tested this game I could NOT stand the new control scheme. I have to constantly readjust my stick whenever the camera changes resulting in my character spazzing, and there was even a moment where I got caught in a camera angle change loop and was literally dancing around a zombie.

But there is a tank-control scheme in this that is complete bliss. I think it's called Type E in this version? Anyways you move forward with the right trigger and steer with the stick. It is great and for me is the only way this game is playable.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
It's 3,500 plus backgrounds to be modelled afresh, whether they're based on pre-existing designs or not. Remodelled characters. The Voice Acting would be redone probably in terms of being in line with REMake. The AI would have to be redone in terms of the new backdrops.

It's problematic when many in the media will say it's "Just a remake" of a 17 year old game, and how Capcom market it to the non-hardcore masses (which whatever the fanbase will say, WILL be discussed from a business POV)

You're really underestimating the amount of effort that is required. All those 2D backgrounds would have to be redrawn from scratch at a higher res. That's a lot of work.
The cutscenes couldn't be re-used either since they are downright primitive at this point so they'd have to make new ones.
New models for all characters and enemies.

I'm not saying it's a small amount of effort. I'm saying it's less amount of effort than making an entire game, thinking of a story, coming up with an art style/atmosphere, designing characters, designing levels, tweaking pacing, writing diolouge, designing boss fights, inventing gameplay mechanics etc etc etc.

With this, you would have to redo the assets, tweak the controls, smooth out some rough edges and release. Still a lot of work, but again, the game is already written/thought up/paced/ etc.

Twin Snakes was remade from the ground up. As was Halo 2 A. As was Majora's Mask and OoT3D. (Although a asset creation here is obviously not as intensive)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It really is that bad.

Their drop in quality over the last year or so is truly shocking. They used to be my most trusted website, now it's full of clickbait articles like the random attacks on The Order/Infamous. This review is another perfect example:

Nevertheless, Spencer Mansion ultimately fails as a locale because of its implausibility. It is a place that has been designed in service to the designer's puzzles, rather than vice-versa and, for this reason, feels fake and contrived, characteristics that undermine the horror rather than heighten it. As a product of a unique moment in the medium's technological evolution, Resident Evil HD is a fascinating place to revisit. But for many contemporary visitors it will be an unpleasant stay, not because the game's inhabitants are unusually hostile, or because its idiosyncrasies are unfashionable, but because its formative designs have simply been bettered.

This is the final paragraph, smh

drotahorror

I've seen a few posts elsewhere saying 'casuals will just eat re-release up'.

This game is a bit tough and I wouldn't recommend it to casual gamers.

What? You've just listed everything that would need building from scratch. The only thing that is done with regards to a remake is game design.

It would need redrawing, re-modelling, texturing, rendering, scoring, programming, testing, the lot.

KyleCross

This is it, this is my first time playing the original since I first played it on PSOne. I want the same feeling of horror and dread now, as I did back then. But it's just so tempting to boot it up and give it a go, perhaps find out why others are eager to see my reaction to the new beastie.

Beasties, you mean. If you really don't know anything about REmake, then ho-boy. I haven't played the game myself beyond the first hour and even I know everything, so man... you NEED to stream or record this if you can, cause your reactions will be gold.

Symphonia

Banned
Beasties, you mean. If you really don't know anything about REmake, then ho-boy. I haven't played the game myself beyond the first hour and even I know everything, so man... you NEED to stream or record this if you can, cause your reactions will be gold.
Daaamn, this just makes the temptation worse. But no, I'm going to hold off until tonight to play it. I might try and set up a stream or, at the very least, record the gameplay. Genuinely excited and terrified to see what horrors await in my return to Spencer Mansion.

Top Bottom