• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

scarybore

Finished in 5h20m, not bad considering I haven't played this version of the game for a few years. Always loved that despite the writing being better overall,
when Jill confronts Wesker in the Tyrant lab, the dialogue descends into some strange unintelligible mess that was probably Japanese put though bablefish.

Oh, and control type E, original style is where it's at. Doesn't work as well as it did on the Gamecube controller, but still the best way to play if you ask me.

Edit: Capcom seems to think that this would make a fantastic background for my Steam Profile, yeah... no.

Is it just me or does anyone else want to see more costumes added eventually?
Umbrella Chronicles costumes and i'd probably pay for their Revelations costumes.

Neff

Ah wait.

Yea Jill can pick-up the
broken shotgun

You could go back to place it.

This would be an implicit death then.

But by losing Barry you mean
get killed by lisa
?

I spoke too quickly, the shotgun can be picked up at any point during the game.

Shows how deep these games are.

In the original I think to be able to get the shotgun the easy way you have to be at that room within a certain time from starting, and also still have Barry's trust. Again, I'm not sure how the REmake decides it, but I'm sure you can leave the room and return with the broken shotgun. Chris can't get it the easy way at all in either version, and requires the broken shotgun.

It's true, the game has quite a few behind the scenes formulas at play to dictate outcomes, and it's not always obvious how you trigger them. I'd love it if the series tried something similar again.

You're not supposed to be able to re-enter the
shotgun
room after you
trigger the ceiling

It's a glitch afaik.

It's not. If Barry's coming to save you, both doors are locked, and you simply wait. If Barry's given up on you, you have the option of returning to replace the shotgun.

Is it just me or does anyone else want to see more costumes added eventually?
Umbrella Chronicles costumes and i'd probably pay for their Revelations costumes.

I'd be perfectly happy paying for additional costumes.

Nori Chan

So yeah...damn this game if I didn't refer to the guide I would be lost after getting the arrow. But I'll try not to refer it anymore. I wonder how long it'll take

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Ok so I got the sword key and I can't progress til I fully download the game. seriously wtf!?

Holy crap the music when Jill wakes up after Barry hauls her poisoned ass down to the medicine room. It's amazing how much of this game I've forgotten. It almost feels fresh. I remember general puzzle directions and stuff like that and most of the mansion layout (so far) but lots of details escaped me. Lots.

NeoGiff

Storybook time, GAF.

I don't want to play this until it's fully downloaded, which will be tomorrow unfortunately. In the meantime, I decided to whip out my Gamecube copy which hasn't seen use in many a year. Upon opening the case, I was greeted by some folded up paper in the corner.

Fo1voC1.jpg

On closer inspection, the paper turned out to be my own personal walkthrough notes written by a much younger me (no spoilers unless you scrutinise individual words).

Reading through them was incredibly nostalgic, so I decided to pack the case back up and hold my excitement in until tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if I'll need the notes or not.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How old are you? New generation is fucked.

Why be such an ass? I've played RE my whole life and Barry always saves you in the "Jill Sandwich" room. Both doors have always been locked. Today is the first time I've heard you are forced to leave the shotgun behind if Barry "gives up" on you and that you can reenter the room under those circumstances.

Perfectly reasonable to not know that was even a possibility.

What a douchey post.

On Demand

Banned
Storybook time, GAF.

I don't want to play this until it's fully downloaded, which will be tomorrow unfortunately. In the meantime, I decided to whip out my Gamecube copy which hasn't seen use in many a year. Upon opening the case, I was greeted by some folded up paper in the corner.

On closer inspection, the paper turned out to be my own personal walkthrough notes written by a much younger me (no spoilers unless you scrutinise individual words).

Reading through them was incredibly nostalgia, so I decided to pack the case back up and hold my excitement in until tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if I'll need the notes or not.

This is amazing. I have something similar saved with Silent Hill 2. A few notes like yours and i tore a mini guide page from a game magazine. I smile everytime i get around to opening the case.

#Old school gamers da best gamers.

NeoGiff

I had similar notes years ago. This is taking me back. Thank you for posting these.

No problem! I love the internet, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss when gaming was like this. When you had to resort to finding your own way through a game, and the answers weren't a click away.

On Demand

Banned
Why be such an ass? I've played RE my whole life and Barry always saves you in the "Jill Sandwich" room. Both doors have always been locked. Today is the first time I've heard you are forced to leave the shotgun behind if Barry "gives up" on you and that you can reenter the room under those circumstances.

Perfectly reasonable to not know that was even a possibility.

What a douchey post.

I wasn't trying to be smart.

Anyway. You always had to leave something behind did you not? That's the way i remembered it. Either way it's pretty self explanatory.

I can't for the life of me remember what the wooden plank is used for. Must be a troll item
It's for the map of the second floor.

And beaten.
Anyway, I was convinced that the dog whistle was a troll item. Like ha ha u dumbass u called zombie dogs to attack you. I should have just done it a long time ago. -_-

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
is there a dedicated button to break free when you are grabbed? Or do i have to mash on all buttons ?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wasn't trying to be smart.

Anyway. You always had to leave something behind did you not? That's the way i remembered it. Either way it's pretty self explanatory.

You don't have to leave anything, no. Unless this particular scenario occurs, where you're forced to leave behind the shotgun.

Guess it's not really that self explanatory,

Storybook time, GAF.

Reading through them was incredibly nostalgic, so I decided to pack the case back up and hold my excitement in until tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if I'll need the notes or not.

This is awesome! Reminds me of a few years ago, my wife and I got out her original Sega Master System and her games. She has like 20 plus games for it, I was impressed.

Anyways, we opened up Phantasy Star and found all the maps she had drawn out of the world when she was just a young girl. She was only 9 years old. These were huge, intricate maps. It was amazing. I fell in love all over again, lol.

NeoGiff

This is amazing. I have something similar saved with Silent Hill 2. A few notes like yours and i tore a mini guide page from a game magazine. I smile everytime i get around to opening the case.

#Old school gamers da best gamers.

That's so cool

This is awesome! Reminds me of a few years ago, my wife and I got out her original Sega Master System and her games. She has like 20 plus games for it, I was impressed.

Anyways, we opened up Phantasy Star and found all the maps she had drawn out of the world when she was just a young girl. She was only 9 years old. These were huge, intricate maps. It was amazing. I fell in love all over again, lol.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably end up automatically taking my old route through the game despite not playing it in years. I wish I made notes like this for more games... Those were the days.

joe2187

Banned
Åesop;148386722 said:
is there a dedicated button to break free when you are grabbed? Or do i have to mash on all buttons ?

wiggle the control stick left and right, youll get bit once, instead of three times.

strafer

Storybook time, GAF.

Shit, I can't remember the last time I took notes playing a game.

:(

I started playing this last night and again this morning before my ortho appointment. Man the memories, I loved playing this and Zero on my Gamecube. This game is fucking terrifying with headphones, and I love how deadly the Zombies are even though they are just zombies.

The feeling of menace and danger is palpable, the atmosphere sucks you right in.

Game looks wonderful, love whatever trickery they are pulling for widescreen, love the tank controls.

Started my new playthrough on hard and as Chris which I never do because he is so hard to play as compared to Jill.

Jawmuncher

Holy Hell. I know steam is down at the moment but how do I link Resident Evil to me residentevil.net account? There's no code page I can find.

typist

Just watching my brother play the GC remake as a kid literally gave me nightmares. Trying to play it as a child I couldn't stand the tension after Barry leaves you alone, could never conquer the fear. Completing it as a teen made me feel immensely proud of myself, am really looking forward to playing this remake some time in the future. Think I'm looking forward to watching Markiplier play this more than anything though

Bumhead

Banned
Just got the lighter and kerosene decanter.

I don't like where this is heading.

Shit, it's amazing how this game retains such a strong sense of fear and tension over me regardless of time or how much I play it. It's really taken me back how tense I still find this game to sit down with and play. The zombies in this game are the scariest zombies around without question. They are legit threats every time you see one.

I'm glad I checked this thread because I had no idea it had already released on EU PSN. Bought. This and SH2 are GOAT to me.

Now to let it download while I sleep. I cannot fucking wait to jump into this again.

Top Bottom