• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

DirtyLarry

I am so amped to check this out, I actually never played it as at the time it was originally released it was the one and only time in my life I had taken a break from gaming (going to college in NYC made that kind of easy TBH). Ironically I watched my one good friends beat it multiple times over the 3 or so years after it initially released, but I never played it myself.

I consider RE4 to be one of my favorite games of all times too. Also the original Silent Hill. I LOVE the genre of Survival Horror. So much so the only reason I am waiting to play it is I insist on beating The Evil Within first, which I am finally on the last chapter of it, so should be starting my first playthrough of this by the weekend, and I truly cannot wait.

Nuke Soda

I got a stupid question: The game is 15 gigs, my PS4 said it only needed to download 3.5 gigs, what is up with that? Am I going to get to a certain point and then the game is going to be like you need to download the last 12 gigs? Because that sucks and will take a long time.

Guys, is there any way to store more items in this game? My health is low and I want to store some herbs but the game doesn't allow me to drop anything in the inventory :|

Exodist

Guys, is there any way to store more items in this game? My health is low and I want to store some herbs but the game doesn't allow me to drop anything in the inventory :|

You have to find an item box and leave it inside. There are two in the mansion, one on the East side and one in the West side. You'll know which rooms, they're small, have typewriters and calm music. Its literally a big brown box you can put stuff in.

Risible

The save system is really pushing me toward dropping the game. Not enjoying losing all my progress over and over. I tolerated it way better 15 years ago.

From an earlier post:

Infinite ribbons for PC. Download cheatengine, and edit the address 2D2F443C to however many you want. I'm not sure if you have to be in the item screen with your select box on it - I've not tried it without it highlighted.

Daggoth

I got a stupid question: The game is 15 gigs, my PS4 said it only needed to download 3.5 gigs, what is up with that? Am I going to get to a certain point and then the game is going to be like you need to download the last 12 gigs? Because that sucks and will take a long time.
Yep, and it's fairly early: you cannot open doors with the
sword~~~
key until it's done. You have about 9 rooms.

I couldn't find a way of tracking the remaining download either.

The only way is to reach for a safe room and store some of them in the item box in there.

You have to find an item box and leave it inside. There are two in the mansion, one on the East side and one in the West side. You'll know which rooms, they're small, have typewriters and calm music. Its literally a big brown box you can put stuff in.
I finally manage to get inside a dining room and see a typewriter here but no item box :(

Some of the textures are really shitty, a little disappointing, but for the most part it looks good and the 60fps is nice. The atmosphere and game mechanics are there. Using PS4 controller on PC version and it's perfect.

Risible

My first time playing the OG RE.

Looks fantastic. The item management though - UGH. Having to backtrack CONSTANTLY to the box to get an item I think I need for a puzzle really blows. Case in point - finding the fireplace on the second floor. Ah ha! I think. I need
the lighter. Run back to box room, get lighter, come back, try it....nope. Shit, no fuel? Go back to box, look through shit, see wooden plank, decide to try that, run back, it worked.

Way too much work and it's really discouraging me from exploring and trying things :(.

Rnr1224

yikes I was not prepared for this game. never touched it and man it is tough so far. First time playing a survival horror game at all!

Does every typewriter have an item box near it? Is there any point in carrying ink ribbons in my inventory or should I just pull them from the box when I need to save?

Can someone refresh my memory about unlocking the Samurai Edge? I know you have to beat the game in under 5 hours but do endings matter at all or can I just
not save everyone
and get it that way?

joe2187

Banned
My first time playing the OG RE.

Looks fantastic. The item management though - UGH. Having to backtrack CONSTANTLY to the box to get an item I think I need for a puzzle really blows. Case in point - finding the fireplace on the second floor. Ah ha! I think. I need
the lighter. Run back to box room, get lighter, come back, try it....nope. Shit, no fuel? Go back to box, look through shit, see wooden plank, decide to try that, run back, it worked.

Way too much work and it's really discouraging me from exploring and trying things :(.

Or, unlike modern games when you enter a new area you could do this

1) get a layout of the area
2) Memorize the key parts of the room
3) check your map for your location
4) read all the flavor text. so you know exactly what you need to do.

Can someone refresh my memory about unlocking the Samurai Edge? I know you have to beat the game in under 5 hours but do endings matter at all or can I just
not save everyone
and get it that way?

fuck everyone else, finish, get gun. thats it.

there's even two achievements for letting everyone die on both playthroughs.

Jawmuncher

not save everyone
and get it that way?

Pretty sure the ending doesn't matter.
Hell now that I think about it, ending doesn't matter for the achievements either.
for beating the game that is.

Dai101

Banned
Does every typewriter have an item box near it? Is there any point in carrying ink ribbons in my inventory or should I just pull them from the box when I need to save?

Nope. There are some typewriters (like the one in the dinning room) that doesn't have an item box nearby.

SURGEdude

I must say that the biggest happy surprise I've had with this version is the ease of using headphones on the new consoles and PC. When I used to play it on GC I didn't really have a straightforward way to achieve that and it really improves the immersion. Of course those with a nice speaker set-up are set as well.

BashNasty

Could anyone recommend me a really good walkthrough for REmake?

In sure many will roll their eyes at that, but the truth is I played through about half of REmake back in the day, got stuck/bored, and never finished it. I really wanna go through the entire game this time, but if I get stuck too often or experience too much friction, I just won't do it. So a great walkthrough would be a great help.

Risible

Or, unlike modern games when you enter a new area you could do this

1) get a layout of the area
2) Memorize the key parts of the room
3) check your map for your location
4) read all the flavor text. so you know exactly what you need to do.

Or, you could be less patronizing and tell me how any of what you said would have helped me in the example I gave. I knew exactly where each room is and had the path between them memorized. I examined the "puzzle" and thought I knew what I needed. In hindsight, of course, it makes sense I needed a second item but at the time it didn't occur to me.

I'm getting tired of seeing people intimate that if you have any trouble with the game you're a gamer that has been spoiled by today's games. I've been gaming almost since the advent of video games, it has nothing to do with anyone's cred as an old school gamer but rather that the game employs mechanics that are at odds with having fun with a game.

It would be a far better and more fun game if key items didn't take up inventory space. It doesn't add tension, unlike say the save system, it just adds frustration.

malfcn

I have to sadly admit I got lost and frustrated after getting the gem and arrow. Forgot about the door on the stairs in the Main Hall.. -_-
The problem is when Barry said (I was Jill) to investigate the Hall, I couldn't do anything, so I forgot about that door.

SURGEdude

I'm getting tired of seeing people intimate that if you have any trouble with the game you're a gamer that has been spoiled by today's games. I've been gaming almost since the advent of video games, it has nothing to do with anyone's cred as an old school gamer but rather that the game employs mechanics that are at odds with having fun with a game.

It would be a far better and more fun game if key items didn't take up inventory space. It doesn't add tension, unlike say the save system, it just adds frustration.

My best guess is that they wanted to make sure you didn't carry to much weaponry or heals at the same time. Also I suspect they knew it would pad the length of first playthroughs.

yikes I was not prepared for this game. never touched it and man it is tough so far. First time playing a survival horror game at all!

Isn't it fun? A game treating you the way it does? It just throws you into this hostile and confusing environment and demands that you fend for yourself.

This is by far the best remote play game I have played. It's pretty much flawless. Backrounds look really good on small screen and there is no need for L2/R2/R3/L3. Not noticing any imput lag and in a game like this it doesn't matter much. I prefer to play it on my Vita over bigger screen.

Jawmuncher

Died as Chris and Jill since I just wanted to check things out.
Realized there's a bunch of "secret achievements" the dream of getting all the achievements is dead, so i'm just gonna beat both characters however I feel.

SURGEdude

This is by far the best remote play game I have played. It's pretty much flawless. Backrounds look really good on small screen and there is no need for L2/R2/R3/L3. Not noticing any imput lag and in a game like this it doesn't matter much. I prefer to play it on my Vita over bigger screen.

Great on PSTV as well. Sorta like a pimped out PS3 version; 720/30 like PS3 but with upgraded models and shadowing.

Quikies83

Where do I get the lighter for Jill? I just got the flask and filled it up, but I apparently need the lighter to ignite the crimson head fucks.
Am I supposed to get it later in the game?

Top Bottom