• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Dai101

Banned
I'm curious...does the grenade launcher glitch (infinite ammo) still work?

AFAIK apparently tthey fixed it.

BTW, if you have the incendiary rounds
you can burn your zombies with it. Also, if you happen to kill tow zombies and they are very close or better, one on another you can burn both with just one canteen dose.

This game was not on my radar at all but after reading this thread, seeing screenshots and watching a trailer, I'm sold.

I haven't beat this game because I was so young when it came out. I have it on vita but only played the first few hours. I'm glad to experience it in a much better form.

Now give me them glorious tank controls.

Quikies83

You should be able to acquire it during the early game.
It's placed on a table in the room that also has a dog whistle.
Haven't found that yet. Does it take up a inventory spot for her? I remember Chris had it at the start and it didnt use a inventory slot

Where do I get the lighter for Jill? I just got the flask and filled it up, but I apparently need the lighter to ignite the crimson head fucks.
Am I supposed to get it later in the game?
Check upstairs.
Holy shit you guys, BURN YOUR FUCKING ZOMBIES!!

I just had 4 crimsons attack me in a span of 10 minutes. Jesus christ. They ALL come back!
Yep. I've been playing this game much slower than the original as a result. Trying to efficiently use the kerosene in hallways I plan to use often. Getting bodies to land on top of each other is a pain in the ass lol

dmr87

Holy shit you guys, BURN YOUR FUCKING ZOMBIES!!

I just had 4 crimsons attack me in a span of 10 minutes. Jesus christ. They ALL come back!

xprxxs.gif

Cudder

The game actually times you when you have to
get the serum for Richard? I got back and he died. Will I need the serum for anything?

LegendX48

Most intense playthrough ever @_@ No saves though I did have the rocket launcher

I'm curious...does the grenade launcher glitch (infinite ammo) still work?

nah, I asked earlier in the thread, its been fixed iirc.

edit

get the serum for Richard? I got back and he died. Will I need the serum for anything?

if you get bit by the first boss then yes, you will need it.

Serious? Crap.

He's been laying in the hallway forever
while I just leisurely stroll around collecting herbs and reading journals.

I'm a bad person.

I'm playing this for the first time personally and it is so rewarding figuring out where to go next on your own. I miss this formula a lot.

Also for shits and gigs I decided to mess with the new analog controls after I saved and L-O-Fucking-L they are so broken. It took a crimson head over a minute in a small linear hallway to finally get a hit on me. Makes any difficulty a cake walk.

astrallite

Neo Member
Is there going to be a gedesato update to support 4K resolution with Resident Evil? Seems it like it only goes up to 2560x1600 right now on the settings menu.

Just about to start: how do I handle burning bodies? Should I really burn everything ASAP, or should fuel be conserved?

My instinct is that you don't have enough to burn everything, so you should burn bodies in the areas you will be visiting a lot (around save points) and key rooms.

That said I really don't know what areas you'll be backtracking through often so it's hard to say which to leave and which to burn.

frontovik

Banned
Haven't found that yet. Does it take up a inventory spot for her? I remember Chris had it at the start and it didnt use a inventory slot

Yes, it does take up an inventory spot for Jill. I'm sure you'll find it eventually. It's in one of the rooms on the 2nd floor.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
This has to be the first time in a resident evil game where I ran out of ammo with chris. fuck! I gotta restart from the beginning. Note to self never get the ink ribbons....ever if you're playing with Chris.

Exodist

Just finished my first playthrough. I'm a veteran player, I've played the Resi games countless times, but I've never really perfected them. I got 5 hours and 2 minutes so I just missed out on the 5 hour mark. But its okay since this time I actually plan to do Real Survival, Invisible enemy, knife only, no saves etc. Quite impressed though, it ran really smooth on PC once I turned VSync off (which kept making the game lag when entering new rooms for maybe 3-5 seconds, really annoying) and it generally looked quite good, although of course some areas looked really great, others pretty shitty.

Haha I was stumped for a second too. Just scroll down from the main menu when you have load game, new game and options; there are many more options below including quit game.

I want to believe that was a choice to keep the menu the same as the original... but my common sense tells me its just straight up a bad design choice.

Just finished my first playthrough. I'm a veteran player, I've played the Resi games countless times, but I've never really perfected them. I got 5 hours and 2 minutes so I just missed out on the 5 hour mark. But its okay since this time I actually plan to do Real Survival, Invisible enemy, knife only, no saves etc.

Only tried out the opening before I took a nap (for w/e reason buying a new game makes me sleepy haha) but the whole reason I bought this was for all the achievements... ugh I wanted to just play my gamecube copy again but they got me with the actual fun for RE heads style achievements.

Original controls + aspect ratio 4 Lyfe

I really wanted to like the widescreen option, I even forgave the fact that it cut off some details here and there, but when I saw that the swimsuit models' poster was cut in half that was the last goddamn straw and I immediately switched back :lol

Anyways, game is as amazing as I remember. First time playing as Chris, and I had some really tense moments today. During the balcony with the two dogs, I had to use my last 8 handgun bullets, a flash grenade when I got grabbed, and two knife slashes to put them bitches down. Was fucking intense, thank God there's a free heal in that area.

Also, just as I was about to burn a dead body,
the motherfucker came back to life.
Scared the shit out of me to say the least.

Also, I completely forgot that
zombies move from room to room in this game if you leave them alive
. Left me completely petrified the first time it happened.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

Exodist

Only tried out the opening before I took a nap (for w/e reason buying a new game makes me sleepy haha) but the whole reason I bought this was for all the achievements... ugh I wanted to just play my gamecube copy again but they got me with the actual fun for RE heads style achievements.

Yeah exactly, I'm not one for achievements at all, but these achievements definitely encourage me to go back and actually play the extra modes. Usually I just come back to the games every few years and just do standard playthroughs on each character, doing the extra stuff has never really occured to me or I just couldn't be bothered. I'm really looking forward to invisible mode I have to admit.

The game is great and tough. The girlfriend and I spent the better part of our evening solving puzzles and running from those terrifying dogs.

And I'm sorry to say, but I can't play with those classic controls. Very much enjoy the newer controls.

Ah well, enough for tonight. Back to the mansion tomorrow.

Anyone know if it's possible to use a Gamecube controller via the official Wii U adapter or something and remap the controls to play exactly like the Gamecube version? Curious if that has been done yet.

These new controls... Man. I'm nearly at the labs and still haven't properly adjusted. That said, it does seem like I'm flying through the game far faster this time round.

Anyone else notice huge FPS lag in certain spots on Xbox One? Particularly in the gardens, in the area where you drain the water. Unbelievably slow, feels like maybe 10-15fps. And in some cutscenes, the lag causes the dubbing to be off (and in fact, I've learned the subtitles match up with the audio and not the models, as the audio/subtitle will appear and noticeably seconds later the models will move their mouths). At first I thought it was just poor lip synching, but you can actually somewhat read their lips and notice the audio not matching up.

I'm not someone who really cares about technical issues, but I was still surprised to see that in this game. The original ran well on Gamecube if memory serves, did it not?

Grief.exe

Gaming has come along way in terms of presentation, yet REmake's HD release shows how far we have gone backward in mechanics and design.

Anyone know if it's possible to use a Gamecube controller via the official Wii U adapter or something and remap the controls to play exactly like the Gamecube version? Curious if that has been done yet.

This is relevant to my interests.

Wow I suck at this. Two deaths, still hasn't saved because I want to hold onto those ink ribbons.

Time to restart!

I'm swimming in ribbons, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't become too overzealous with saving.

fernoca

Played the hell out of this on GameCube, finished it like 8 times across every difficulty.

Got this on PS4 mostly for nostalgia, doubt I'll play it as much. Will be ready by Thursday since I'm downloading multiple things.

Can't wait to see Chris' glorious rounded butt in HD. :p

Did they up the occurrences of Crimson Heads? I rarely ran into them back in the day, but I've already run into a ton. Sucks playing as Chris with his limited space and having to dedicate a spot to the kerosene.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, it's been a while and I'm rusty but did:

Not too bad. Especially since I was Half following this dudes run (READ SPOILERS IF YOU'RE A FIRST TIME PLAYER. DO NOT CLICK THIS. SPEEDRUNNING.) but not as ballsy and getting a few weapons that he doesn't go for.

Feels good to do a "decent" sub-3 hour time after not playing for like five or so years. Got:

Gotta say, I like how they redid the guns textures. Seeing the "Kendo" on the Samurai Edges is nice.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Realized there's a bunch of "secret achievements" the dream of getting all the achievements is dead, so i'm just gonna beat both characters however I feel.

Most of the secret achievements make sense. You're going to be doing about half of them in the game anyway.

Whoops, meant to edit this in.

This is by far the best remote play game I have played. It's pretty much flawless. Backrounds look really good on small screen and there is no need for L2/R2/R3/L3. Not noticing any imput lag and in a game like this it doesn't matter much. I prefer to play it on my Vita over bigger screen.
While I may not agree with that part of your post, I second everything else.

Damn this game is great for Remote Play. I just finished an hour + session and it was fantastic. The Vita's dpad is godlike with the classic tank controls. It's actually a pain to switch back to the PS4 pad.

Other than a few connection drops and lag spikes (I'm on the other side of my apartment), I also experienced no lag.

malfcn

Jumping back in for another go. Got side tracked with hdd shopping.

Now, remember the cemetery / graveyard door at the beginning. Can't believe I'm the only one. Funny thing, I think I did the same thing on GameCube.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I want to throw out there the whole Courtyard looks amazing. Did they completely remake that whole section of the game? That whole chunk of the game looked great, as did most of the residence, outside of the basement when its flooded. But outside looks particularly great, in my opinion.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Got the PC version today and spent a few minutes playing around with the graphics/control settings to a point where I'm happy with it. I have the graphics maxed out (although I may turn down the AA considering it generally isn't worth the performance hit), and while the 3D models look great in 1080p, it seems like the backgrounds are rendered at a lower resolution. They definitely look...off, but probably not enough to sour me on the graphics.

I didn't end up playing more than 10 minutes since I was tired after work and wanted to play a more relaxing game, but I'm definitely excited to be jumping back into this game after so many years.

Question: if I'm aiming for a speedrun, does pausing the game still progress the timer? I want to do a speedrun while referring to a YouTube video that was previously posted in this thread. Thanks in advance, all!

Top Bottom