• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Dai101

Banned
Question: if I'm aiming for a speedrun, does pausing the game still progress the timer? I want to do a speedrun while referring to a YouTube video that was previously posted in this thread. Thanks in advance, all!

YES. Pausing dont stop the timer.

BTW, doors dont count, AFAIK.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
First time playing this and I feel so out of touch with everyone else here.

Gotta say the 5.1 audio in this game is sweet!

Trying to play with out walkthrough guide.....

G_Berry

Banned
Hey does anyone know when the EU /AUS store updates this week? Still showing only the bundle which I don't really want to buy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Question: if I'm aiming for a speedrun, does pausing the game still progress the timer? I want to do a speedrun while referring to a YouTube video that was previously posted in this thread. Thanks in advance, all!

Menus count. FMV's count. Pause menu/options menu counts. Saving menu counts.

RUN LIKE THE WIND AND KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, basically.

What the hell am I supposed to do with
the emblem you find above the fireplace in the first room where Barry is inspecting the blood

It's totally hogging up a valuable inventory slot.

antitrop

Alright, I think I made pretty solid progress tonight. Started a new game: Jill, Original controls, Type A controls, Easy

Made it up to
the battle with the 2 dogs after you blow the whistle, then got the armor key and called it a night
in one sitting.

I was also pretty happy with the way everything went, I was playing pretty efficiently. I am on the path to success!

Alright, I think I made pretty solid progress tonight.

Started a new game: Jill, Original controls, Type A controls, Easy

Made it up to
the battle with the 2 dogs after you blow the whistle, then got the armor key and called it a night
in one sitting.

I was also pretty happy with the way everything went, I was playing pretty efficiently. I am on the path to success!

Haha.

What happened to Normal? :p

antitrop

Haha.

What happened to Normal? :p

I wasn't playing on Normal, I was just confused about the naming of the difficulties. I was playing on the middle one.

I'll definitely be replaying this one, so all in due time. I'm much better at the game than I was when I was 16, so I probably should have just started on Normal.

Miguel81

4:3 aspect ratio + Type E are my preferred settings after a bit of testing. The DS4 works perfectly with this game, almost as well as the GC pad did(still miss the click of that pads triggers but not the d-pad). Looking forward to tonight for a longer play.

I wasn't playing on Normal, I was just confused about the naming of the difficulties. I was playing on the middle one.

I'll definitely be replaying this one, so all in due time. I'm much better at the game than I was when I was 16, so I probably should have just started on Normal.

Ahhh ok. I started on the bottom one thinking it was easy, only to find out its actually very easy. I was going to start over but I figure I'll just finish this run and then do a new one with Chris on Normal.

Seriously though shit is pathetic I have 14 ink ribbons and 88 handgun bullets. I feel like Rambo

antitrop

After playing for about an hour, the new movement controls suck.

Reverted back to the tank and am completely comfortable.

I agree, the modern controls remind me of Devil May Cry 1 in the worst way.

I saw Patrick Klepek wrote an article on Kotaku about how they improve the game, but I don't get it.

Just got to the guardhouse! Wow, they really gave that outdoor path some visual attention!

6B91D25368FC8996B4ECA5503DC57180C9BB2D55

I mean, I wish everything else looked like this too, but eh.

But uhhh that music thing...I think I might wait for a patch before I continue.

In the original game, when I return to the mansion, there's
a Hunter in the hallway to greet you. I forgot to burn a zombie in that hallway. Will the Hunter despawn the zombie or am I going to have to deal with a Crimson Head + Hunter?

Lazulic

God, I'm too much of a bitch to be playing it this late with the lights off and headphones on. Every time I think I'm better with horror games I'm not. Will play tomorrow in the daytime.

Daffy Duck

It's been that long since I've played this I have forgotten everything about it!

I only played it a little on my GC so never got deeper into the game (I dont think I even did the masks) so it's going to be an experience that's for sure!

Such a great atmosphere in this game, it's so spooky.

Nemesis_

Not sure if people were aware of this but if you're a Chris player and you're not very good with saving ammo or battling the first proper boss battle (the
Crimson Head Elder
) then just save a Grenade. It'll kill him instantly when he grabs you.

I've never played more than an hour of the OG RE and the Gamecube REmake combined.

Question: I've seen in REmakeHD videos a very noticeable boob jiggle on Jill when she walks. Was this breast bounce a new HD-only feature or was this present in the GC REmake as well?

I'll go on a limb and assume there's no way it was present on the PS1 version.

liquidtmd

Banned
I know people say it's due to a frustrating design and it's not for everyone, but I'm enjoying everything in terms of challenge about the game - from thinking about Item spaces to ammo (playing Normal Mode).

I know if the game was made now people would be up in arms about these particular aspects saying 'LOL CAPCOM MOVE WITH THE TIMES', and I think in many respects thats a shame,

knerl

I have to say that some of the environments look like absolute ass. Most of them look pretty good considering. Especially if you're sitting a couple of meters from the monitor or television, but some of them are so far from ok that it ruins the atmosphere. The 2F corridor from which you can reach the room in which you get the
dog whistle
for example. Barf material. They apparently remade a certain area instead of trying to touch it up. Why the hell didn't they do the same thing to every area that looks like barf material? I'm pretty happy with the port overall, but some parts just looks so unacceptable.

liquidtmd

Banned
I have to say that some of the environments look like absolute ass. Most of them look pretty good considering. Especially if you're sitting a couple of meters from the monitor or television, but some of them are so far from ok that it ruins the atmosphere. The 2F corridor from which you can reach the room in which you get the
dog whistle
for example. Barf material. They apparently remade a certain area instead of trying to touch it up. Why the hell didn't they do the same thing to every area that looks like barf material? I'm pretty happy with the port overall, but some parts just looks so unacceptable.

I can't speak for them but in terms of project management, I'd do a pre-viz and prioritze the areas that needed rebuilding / the ones that could get by just being touched up and structure this around the budget and time constraints I had for completion.

I accept theres a varying quality to it but I don't agree any of it's 'barf material'. You don't use the word 'lazy' but some people are running round calling the port team exactly that because of this variance. No. Capcom management made a decision to price this @ $12. Because it last was re-released on Wii coming off a failed expectation GC launch, I understand caution on their part if not agree with it, coupled with the fact the biggest sales numbers of the series (if not critical acclaim) has come from the shooter orientated RE5 and 6.

As such they would have allocated the port team funds and resources in line with that matched against projected sales numbers. Like you I'm pretty happy with the port overall and encourage people to see the bigger picture if they're considering passing just because 'ZOMG it's not 60fps on consoles and some backgrounds don't look as good as others, instant-pass no buy'

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Haven't played this in a while, do the Crimson Heads spawn on a timer, or is it after 1 or 2 story progression events etc?

knerl

I can't speak for them but in terms of project management, I'd do a pre-viz and prioritze the areas that needed rebuilding / the ones that could get by just being touched up and structure this around the budget and time constraints I had for completion.

I accept theres a varying quality to it but I don't agree any of it's 'barf material'. You don't use the word 'lazy' but some people are running round calling the port team exactly that because of this variance. No. Capcom management made a decision to price this @ $12. Because it last was re-released on Wii coming off a failed expectation GC launch, I understand caution on their part if not agree with it, coupled with the fact the biggest sales numbers of the series (if not critical acclaim) has come from the shooter orientated RE5 and 6.

As such they would have allocated the port team funds and resources in line with that matched against projected sales numbers. Like you I'm pretty happy with the port overall and encourage people to see the bigger picture if they're considering passing just because 'ZOMG it's not 60fps on consoles and some backgrounds don't look as good as others, instant-pass no buy'

The same corridor I mentioned in my post. That's objectively horrible looking.
From a management point of view though it makes sense like you wrote. Although that doesn't make it ok. You said it yourself. Them being cautious should only have resulted in them making sure that every area looked it's best. Not giving an all-time classic a thorough touch-up when you're calling it a "remaster" is the quickest way of creating debates and in turn getting disappointing sales yet again.

They have the resources for it. Every area that couldn't be fixed just by touching them up should've been re-modeled. They are charging 19.99€ over Steam which is the version I went with. Say what you want, but for that price tag I expected 100% consistency when it comes to the visual quality.

synce

Can gedosato or some similar program make this game run at 540p or 480p native? Basically I want to play the GC version at 60fps

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Haven't played this in a while, do the Crimson Heads spawn on a timer, or is it after 1 or 2 story progression events etc?

In-game timer, the time varies on what difficulty you play on, however the timer has a bit of randomization to it. On Easy, it's around an hour, on Normal it's 30-40 minutes, on Hard it's 20-30 minutes, though it can also be less by chance on any difficulty, like on Hard it may only be 10 minutes randomly..

duck_sauce

I play this game on normal and i get massacered by the first zombie, the first trap kills me horribly and a dog from the outside made me realise i dont even have a chance.

I love the atmosphere and the house,but that game seems so hard :(

Kssio_Aug

I play this game on normal and i get massacered by the first zombie, the first trap kills me horribly and a dog from the outside made me realise i dont even have a chance.

I love the atmosphere and the house,but that game seems so hard :(

Are you playing with tank controls? I used the alternante control and to dodge the dog from the front door was quite easy (was using Chris, if that makes any difference).

By the way. Wich is harder to use, Chris or Jill?

duck_sauce

Are you playing with tank controls? I used the alternante control and to dodge the dog from the front door was quite easy (was using Chris, if that makes any difference).

By the way. Wich is harder to use, Chris or Jill?

I play with the new controls and it is still hard for me :(

Top Bottom