• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

You can do it on hard too.
Most enemies don't have to be killed anyways.

And you don't need a guide.
Just look for the right item and put it where it is needed.

Yeah I know you only have to dodge them, still easier I guess on lower difficulty's.
Because of less dmg when bitten or attacked.

Kssio_Aug

These old games were made with trial and error mechanics in mind. We are just not used to it anymore, and we link it to believing its just "too hard". They recquire you to advance, fail, and then try again but with what you learn in mind. No checkpoints indeed, but less about reflexes, and more about learning where to go, when, and how to approach enemies. At least thats the impression I had yesterday.

Afro

Loving the game but man it's more difficult than I remember. Running out of ammo and Jill can only take a couple bites from a zombie before dying. Might have to restart and give it another go. I'm enjoying the challenge though, you can tell how much modern games cater to the player comparatively.

I'm used to saving after every slightly dangerous encounter. I was forced to run around solving puzzles for a solid 3-4 hours with zero ink ribbons in the entire mansion. Finally died. Lost all that time.

FLD

Man, the game is kicking my ass. I was actually getting a little pissed off last night lol. I tried to be smart and avoid enemies but they kept grabbing me and I just ended up going through my healing items at a pace that feels way too fast. I'm not very far into it so I'm tempted to just start over tonight...

amar212

These old games were made with trial and error mechanics in mind. We are just not used to it anymore, and we link it to believing its just "too hard". They recquire you to advance, fail, and then try again but with what you learn in mind. No checkpoints indeed, but less about reflexes, and more about learning where to go, when, and how to approach enemies. At least thats the impression I had yesterday.

This is accurate description.

Afro

Man, the game is kicking my ass. I was actually getting a little pissed off last night lol. I tried to be smart and avoid enemies but they kept grabbing me and I just ended up going through my healing items at a pace that feels way too fast. I'm not very far into it so I'm tempted to just start over tonight...

I found myself with an overabundance of health items yet pretty much zero ammo for a huge portion of the game.

KageMaru

Oddly I can't get used to the analog controls and need to use the d-pad. Never had this issue with code veronica so I'm just wondering if the PS4 stick is more sensitive and that's what's messing me up.

I'm used to saving after every slightly dangerous encounter. I was forced to run around solving puzzles for a solid 3-4 hours with zero ink ribbons in the entire mansion. Finally died. Lost all that time.

Ouch that sucks. Another problem I have is a lack of fuel to burn bodies. Already used up both containers that I've found so far and still have a few bodies I need to take care of.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Since people are posting screens, here's some screens from the PS3 version, if anyone is interested in going for the PS360 version, do not hesitate in going for it. The game looks fantastic, and plays very well too.

biohazardhdremasterelu0e.png

biohazardhdremaster_249uwp.png

biohazardhdremaster_631u1x.png

biohazardhdremaster_1p4jzq.png

biohazardhdremaster_2ockn7.png

and games like this beg to be speed ran, here's my last attempt.

biohazardhdremaster_2diu82.png

The best tip I can give anyone getting stuck is to pay attention to which rooms on the maps are red and which are green. Green means you've finished a room, red means there's still something to do there. If you're not sure what to do next, check your map to see which rooms you've already been to are still red.

You can do it on hard too.
Most enemies don't have to be killed anyways.

I was surprised I didnt have to kill anything until the forced Crimson head battle so much ammo saved up- was a breeze :)

edit:I have played the game-but forgot how easy it was to navigate encounters without firing a shot-

The best tip I can give anyone getting stuck is to pay attention to which rooms on the maps are red and which are green. Green means you've finished a room, red means there's still something to do there. If you're not sure what to do next, check your map to see which rooms you've already been to are still red.

Good tip, I don't think I've thought about this myself before. Was is it like that in the PS1 game too?

bosseye

Man, I'm so indecisive. I'd forgotten how much dithering I do when I find a typewriter.

"Typewriter! Thank god. But I only have a a single ink ribbon! Save now......or, wait? Now? Wait? Now? Wait? Arrrrrrrrghhhhh"

Or when I find something good:

"Shotgun! Awesome. But! Do I have enough space, will I be picking it up and not need it for ages and then need the inventory space for something else! Take? Leave? Take? Leave? Arrrrrgrhhhhhh"

I can recall the general stuff about the game, layout, some visuals etc, but the details have happily mostly dropped out of my brain so it all feels wonderfully nostalgic, but at the same time retains some of the sense of discover, tension and excitement that I was hoping for.

Honestly can't decide whether to play in 4:3 or 16:9 either or the controls. I keep switching back and forth. At the moment I'm leaning towards 16:9 and relearning the tank controls. The new controls feel immediately more natural to me after 13 years, but tank controls will likely work better with the camera angle switching. Also started with Jill's new costume, but I might restart with the classic beret look, just for that pure RE feel.

Anyway. Once I've finally made up my mind, looking forward to getting in to it again.

Needlecrash

Just played the PS4 version before work. Game looks amazing. I haven't played this version since I left college.

Of course, I forgot how to deal with the 1st puzzle with the Helmet Key. If you pick it up, the walls next to the key cave in and I think the only thing you can do is run back to the beginning of the room without getting gutted between a hard place.

typist

this is the most beautiful scene in the game. my jaw dropped. pure atmosphere. no other game can touch this.

Really hope the Silent Hills devs realize that the only thing survival horror needs to be good again is simplicity.

And fixed camera angles! Unlike a low frame rate that really makes the experience cinematic imo. Also removing that control from the player adds to tension and fear - you can't even see the enemies that your character should be able to see.

That is a really beautiful screenshot though, good pick. I wonder how high quality pre rendered backgrounds could look today? Probably photo realistic I'm guessing, really wish more games used them

I'll be buying this shortly, but need help deciding which platform. Should I get this on PC and play it in 60fps or get it on PS4 for the trophies and better controller?

Valravn

I advise everyone to drop the pistol once you get the shotgun. Why? Pistol creates crimson heads and with shotguns you can blow heads off. Aim up and shoot when they are right in front of you. Also dont kill zombies unless you really need to. If there is enough space just evade it. Saves you some ammo.

Spades

Quick cross-post from the B/S/T thread as I thought some people in here might be interested.

Resident Evil HD for Xbox One download code up for trade.

7LKcT8G.png

I'm looking for $15/£10 Xbox credit or PayPal, please. PM me.

Now sold.

Back with the original RE I had to beat the game without internet guides or anything, anyone stuck should really hold it out and try to solve puzzles and where to go next by yourself, it's what makes the game so good on the first play through.

Sadly this game shows me that people give up too easily when they don't have an arrow to follow and it's upsetting to see.

I advise everyone to drop the pistol once you get the shotgun. Why? Pistol creates crimson heads and with shotguns you can blow heads off. Aim up and shoot when they are right in front of you. Also dont kill zombies unless you really need to. If there is enough space just ran past them. Saves you some ammo.

Shotgun headshots aren't guaranteed in REmake. Yesterday I shot 3 upward shotgun shells on a normal zombie (he grabbed me right after the 2nd shot btw since he barely flinched) before he died. Oh, and his head remained intact. Fucking crazy.

Also, shotgun ammo is far too valuable to waste all of it before the return visit to the mansion, for obvious reasons...

Valravn

Shotgun headshots aren't guaranteed in REmake. Yesterday I shot 3 upward shotgun shells on a normal zombie (he grabbed me right after the 2nd shot btw since he barely flinched) before he died. Oh, and his head remained intact. Fucking crazy.

Also, shotgun ammo is far too valuable to waste all of it before the return visit to the mansion, for obvious reasons...

Hmm, didnt know that. Are you playing on hard difficulty? And yes shotgun ammo is too valuable. That's why i evade enemies when i can.
There's even a trick for this. When a zombie is walking towards you, walk backwards before they lunge forward to grab you. They will miss and will be ashamed and then you can easily evade it. :)
Takes some practice before you get the hang of it. Im trying to find a video of this because its hard to describe how the trick works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1TumKhHSY at 11:06 mark.

VoxPop

Just downloaded it and played it for about 5 minutes. Runs buttery smooth on my ancient 2500K and GTX 570 at max settings and 60 fps. Graphics look a bit dated and slightly worse than when I had it running on Dolphin.

Gave the new controls a try and I like it after years of using tank controls. Makes the game hell of a lot easier though which is the only issue.

Haven't played the game in its entirety in quite a while so looking forward to diving back into one of my favorite games of all time. I used to not be able to play alone but after P.T, this thing is gonna be a breeze. :p

Not to mention all the corny dialogue making it enjoyable.

Need a RE2/3Make now..

Anyone have a nice textless icon for the Steam grid?

Haha that costume was so stupid, I liked the RE CV the most, and ofc his original outfit.
@Strafer no, maybe someone patch it in via a mod for the PC version though.
@chan yeah i forgot about that, i only counted the original 3 costumes for both bsaa was not in the initial release.

Jawmuncher

Cnsidering it seems like the BSAA models are straight rips.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if we see mods for costumes from other games in the series.

One of my favourite 'scenes' from the game. Apologies for the off-screen shot. It truly doesn't do it justice. To be honest, all the exterior locations look breathtaking. The soft lighting, the smoke rolling through, the tree branches and grass swaying in the breeze, it looks stunning.

20150120_200747.jpg

Curufinwe

Just played the PS4 version before work. Game looks amazing. I haven't played this version since I left college.

Of course, I forgot how to deal with the 1st puzzle with the Helmet Key. If you pick it up, the walls next to the key cave in and I think the only thing you can do is run back to the beginning of the room without getting gutted between a hard place.

I forgot that, too. It's been 10 years since I played REmake... I only got it after buying a GC for RE4.

Hmm, didnt know that. Are you playing on hard difficulty? And yes shotgun ammo is too valuable. That's why i evade enemies when i can.
There's even a trick for this. When a zombie is walking towards you, walk backwards before they lunge forward to grab you. They will miss and will be ashamed and then you can easily evade it. :)
Takes some practice before you get the hang of it. Im trying to find a video of this because its hard to describe how the trick works.

Nah, I'm on normal. This is only my second time playing REmake ever (this time as Chris).

I'm beginning to think that aiming on this game has a much bigger element of timing and positioning than in previous titles rather than the randomness I'm experiencing.

I mean random handgun/shotgun crits sure, but a crimson head shouldn't die from 2 normal shotgun shots, while an average zombie takes 3 upward shotgun blasts to the face before dying. I must be missing something :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Dear <Username here>,

An item you listed in the Community Market has been sold to Jawmuncher. Your Steam Wallet has been credited <X.XX> USD.
---

Hi there, Jawmuncher. Fancy seeing you around the marketplace. :p

Kssio_Aug

No word yet on if pausing the game pauses the timer?

Are you playing in the Xbox One?

If so, I THINK, theres a way to pause the timer. And that would be if you press the Xbox button to go back to the dash.

I say it, because when you enter a door you cant pause the transition animation, however, if you go back to the dash, you will see that the animation pauses anyway. So it leaves me to believe that going back to the dash forces the game to pause completely, what also means it should pause the in-game timer.

Nemesis_

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure in HD Remaster you don't have to finish the game with each character three times. The game just unlocks one for each character each time you finish the game.

So you only really need to finish it four times instead of six.

Top Bottom