• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure in HD Remaster you don't have to finish the game with each character three times. The game just unlocks one for each character each time you finish the game.

So you only really need to finish it four times instead of six.

I've found this on GameFAQs:

Complete the game once on any difficulty to gain the Special Key to open the costume room where you can change you clothes after completing the game the required amount of times.

Jill's Sarah Connor costume: Complete the game once with Jill on any difficulty.

Jill's Resident Evil 3 costume: Clear the game twice with Jill on any difficulty.

Chris' The Mexican costume: Clear the game once with Chris on any difficulty to unlock his costume where he dresses up like Brad Pitt from the movie The Mexican. Rebecca also changes her costume to look like Julia Roberts from The Mexican.

Chris' CODE Veronica costume: Clear the game twice with Chris on any difficulty.

Nemesis_

I definitely finished the game with Jill only once (and about three-ish times with Chris) and yet I have unlocked the RE3 costume for Jill.

I think they've changed it.

Tizoc

One of my favourite 'scenes' from the game. Apologies for the off-screen shot. It truly doesn't do it justice. To be honest, all the exterior locations look breathtaking. The soft lighting, the smoke rolling through, the tree branches and grass swaying in the breeze, it looks stunning.

20150120_200747.jpg

Is this PC or console ver.?

I have to say that some of the environments look like absolute ass. Most of them look pretty good considering. Especially if you're sitting a couple of meters from the monitor or television, but some of them are so far from ok that it ruins the atmosphere. The 2F corridor from which you can reach the room in which you get the
dog whistle
for example. Barf material. They apparently remade a certain area instead of trying to touch it up. Why the hell didn't they do the same thing to every area that looks like barf material? I'm pretty happy with the port overall, but some parts just looks so unacceptable.

Make sure your tv isn't overscanning. If it is. You are zooming in extra on the image.

Xpliskin

Still, there are some differences in this version. I think only those who used to play (or knife-run) the GC version will agree:

-Headshots are definetely more common. They messed up.
In my jill playthrough, I've had more headshots than in several GC runs combined.
-Zombie/Dog behavior has changed, they seem dumber. Zombies are easier to run circles around/trick into grabbing.
-Music frequency/bitrate (this has to do with the gamecube's SDK proprietary Musyx player ?)
-GC specific post-process is missing (Dining-room haze )

Still, there are some differences in this version. I think only those who used to play (or knife-run) the GC version will agree:

-Headshots are definetely more common. They messed up.
In my jill playthrough, I've had more headshots than in several GC runs combined.
-Zombie/Dog behavior has changed, they seem dumber. Zombies are easier to run circles around/trick into grabbing.
-Music frequency/bitrate (this has to do with the gamecube's SDK proprietary Musyx player ?)
-GC specific post-process is missing (Dining-room haze )

Also the scene with Rebecca, Chris and Richard, the music was altered somehow.
Damn it Capcom.

Synless

The game looks pretty good on PS4 but where it really shines is on the Vita. Been playing in remote play and the game looks great shrunk down.

WITHE1982

Well I managed a whole 10 minutes of the game on PS4 last night before my wife fell asleep and asked me to turn it off.

Just a quick one GAF: I've heard a few people reference "Juking" to complete knife only runs. I'm guessing this is just a way of running past zoms in the game. Anyone have an example or description of what exactly it is?

Valravn

I hope the remastered version sells well so Capcom reconsiders the direction of the series and bring it back to basics. We want survival horror back!

Nemesis_

If they ever do a remake of RE2 or RE3 personally I reckon they'd have to do both. Intertwine them together considering they take place at the same time (more or less).

but it's a huge undertaking regardless. I can't see Capcom happilly doing it unless this one sells well.

neonille

I sure do love this game!!!
Damnit Capcom why can't you make a new game just like this??
This is so much better then RE5,6 even though it's over 10 years old....
Have it on ps4 and will buy it on pc aswell to to show my support for it

I could not put this down last night (PS4).....I mean granted I've never played this before but holy shit is this good. Give me a RE7 with these type of visuals/mechanics and I'm fucking sold. (Oh also, give me RE2 like this)

Also, I know i'll get fucked with no lube for this but I prefer the alternate controls so much more.

Xpliskin

I sure do love this game!!!
Damnit Capcom why can't you make a new game just like this??
This is so much better then RE5,6 even though it's over 10 years old....
Have it on ps4 and will buy it on pc aswell to to show my support for it

I could not put this down last night (PS4).....I mean granted I've never played this before but holy shit is this good. Give me a RE7 with these type of visuals/mechanics and I'm fucking sold. (Oh also, give me RE2 like this)

Also, I know i'll get fucked with no lube for this but I prefer the alternate controls so much more.

80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

Now imagine being a kid and this coming out in 2002.

Futtbuck - "I know I'll get fucked with no lube for this" lmao

AkuMifune

Banned
If it were up to me I'd take RE0, RE3 and RE2 in that order.

Reverse that order for me, though I'd be happy with any of them.

I actually defend 0 quite a bit. Atmosphere is great and character switching adds a lot to the mix. Billy's 90's tribal tattoos not defendable though.

80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

Now imagine being a kid and this coming out in 2002.

Futtbuck - "I know I'll get fucked with no lube for this" lmao

Exactly my thinking, the game looked and played this good on gamecube using a sdtv in 2002, minus some details on the characters.
I'm so happy to see so many people realising just how incredible this game is, i can only hope and pray that someone at capcom see's sense and continues where remake and zero left off.

Kssio_Aug

Allright, today I've done much better already.

I was able to get the swork key, and have access to the shotgun room. The problem is that I only have 1 space left in my inventory, so I think I wont use it.

However, I may have killed 3~5 zombies that were in my way into corridos to reach that location. I still have no querosine (besides I found a tank, I dont have the container).

I'm almost sure I should not take that shotgun yet. And I have no idea wheres the room with the box.

Edit: Allright! Found it! =) Now I'm with at about 8 ink ribbons.

Anung

Un Rama
I was recording my first playthrough of Remaster, and just editing now and decided to make a quick gif of a moment I experienced early in. I don't even know how this happened.

giphy.gif

My fucking bullet not only knocked the zombie in front of me down at the last moment, it then shoots straight through to the zombie behind it and makes its head explode.

Fanatstic moment! I always got confused when if you shot an enemy from a certain angle his foot would explode and he'd never come back as a Crimson Head.

Well I managed a whole 10 minutes of the game on PS4 last night before my wife fell asleep and asked me to turn it off.

Just a quick one GAF: I've heard a few people reference "Juking" to complete knife only runs. I'm guessing this is just a way of running past zoms in the game. Anyone have an example or description of what exactly it is?

As far as I know, it's not really a specific mechanic as much it is just a method of faking out zombies and then trying to run around them.

hughesta

Banned
Anyone have any advice on how to throw zombies off of you when you don't have a defensive item? Sometimes it happens after one bite, sometimes it takes three.

Also, just a little gameplay tip for all you newcomers: if you tap the run button while going up or down a flight of steps, you'll move considerably quicker. This is useful if you're speedrunning or escaping from Crimson's etc. It looks a little funky, animation wise - but it works!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How are you supposed to shoot the zombies in this game?

Am I supposed to just unload on them? Wait until they get close and at the last second aim high and shoot them in the head? It looks like the gun angle is too high for that...

Bumhead

Banned

Am I supposed to just unload on them? Wait until they get close and at the last second aim high and shoot them in the head? It looks like the gun angle is too high for that...

With the handgun, just unload.

They are resiliant though. Especially in the early game, try and move around them if at all possible.

Once you get the shotgun you can aim up to go for headshots. Leave it as late as possible just as they lunge and aim up.

You're overthinking it. The aiming doesn't need to be precise or anything. Aiming up to the head is only really useful if you have a shotgun or the Colt Python. If you really must shoot, wait til they fall to the floor and you see a pool of blood. If you don't see a pool of blood after they fall, then they'll get back up.

avoid enemies where you can to save ammo, but if you want to kill them, just unload from a safe distance

Zero is coming. So anything after that is a bonus.
Reverse that order for me, though I'd be happy with any of them.

I actually defend 0 quite a bit. Atmosphere is great and character switching adds a lot to the mix. Billy's 90's tribal tattoos not defendable though.
I only mentioned RE0 first because it's super easy to port compared to 2/3 and nothing is EVER truly confirmed with Capcom. Ideally I'd prefer RE2, RE3 and then RE0 because Capcom will inevitably be scared off by RE0's lower sales numbers. If any chance of RE2/3make goes down the drain it'll be because a lot of people will be too busy shitting on (and not buying) REmake and RE0. Really, I'm going to pull the trigger day -1 on RE0 if it means we can get remakes of RE2 and RE3.

Exodist

I would love a remake of 2 and 3 in this style, but being realistic its not gonna happen. Not too fussed though, I've still got them on my Vita and I find them perfectly playable today, I really love the old graphics actually. As for the Zero HD, I think its a decent game but its definitely my least played Resident Evil. I can usually enjoy it for a playthrough but once I've beaten it I don't ever want to play it for quite a while after. The general level and puzzle design is fine but I just find the whole thing really tedious to play.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Like every RE fan I hope that Capcom remakes RE2 and RE3, but realistically I don't see that happening. REmake and RE0 are easy to remaster because they already exist, so it's a matter of touching up some assets. RE2/3 would have to be made from scratch so it would be significantly more expensive and not necessarily something Capcom would have the appetite for.

Bumhead

Banned
If any chance of RE2/3make goes down the drain it'll be because a lot of will be too busy shitting on (and not buying) REmake and RE0.

I wonder how strongly, if at all, reviewer feedback will contribute to any of this. Be that the decision to green light other remakes or change the direction of the newer games such as RE7.

Resident Evil is currently on an 83 Metacritic. With the exception of Resident Evil 5 (also on 83) and ported versions of Resident Evil 4, it's the highest rated project or release they've done since Resident Evil 4 vanilla.

Screw this REmake 2 talk. I want the RE 1.5 scenario to be done as REmake 2! Like, if they used the already written storyline, and maybe replaced Elza with Claire. Would be fresh, new, and original. Anyone feel me?

Kssio_Aug

Is there a trick to escape from zombies in closed corridors? I always have to kill them, otherwise they get me. But I just saw one of these videos above, and the guy runs past 2 of them!

Skab

Had been on the fence about picking this up, but reading through some of this thread tipped me over onto the buying side. Thankfully that GMG code still worked!

Is there a trick to escape from zombies in closed corridors? I always have to kill them, otherwise they get me. But I just saw one of these videos above, and the guy runs past 2 of them!

Well if you physically see how he does it, then why can't you just copy what he does?

Truth be told, there are some situations were you simply won't be able to avoid them. I try to get as close as possible, and as they lunge, walk back. During the animation I'll try to scoot past them. Sometimes it's just unavoidable.

If you approach a zombie while on some stairs, the zombie will puke on you. It's pretty easy to avoid though.

Astral

Although small, one of the best things about RE2 is how the locked doors were color coded. It's kinda baffling that they didn't add that in REmake.

Top Bottom