• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

You're not the only one don't worry haha. I'm 26 years old and this game still scares the shit out of me.

Haha ok good. Yeah I'm 27 and it's too scary, I need my security blanket of ink ribbons.

I do plan on going up a notch on a second playthrough, with Chris. But I just want to make sure I make it through the game once.

zma1013

Playing in the daylight or in the evening doesn't really make a difference to me. I don't feel like the game is "scarier" at night, because to me it doesn't matter what my surroundings look like, only what the game environments look like.

For me to get immersed in games, I generally have to have the game in my vision and nothing else, that usually means playing at night with the lights out to blacken all my surroundings, similar to getting immersed in movies. If I can see my ugly walls and crappy carpet and the dust buildup on my TV stand in my peripherals, it takes me out of the experience quite a bit. It's the difference between being scared shitless by some random zombie moan and not even batting an eye to a crimson head chasing me down the hall.

Haha ok good. Yeah I'm 27 and it's too scary, I need my security blanket of ink ribbons.

I do plan on going up a notch on a second playthrough, with Chris. But I just want to make sure I make it through the game once.

Chris and Jill actually have some big differences in their playthroughs, I kind of think as both together as the full game.

I have to say, having played the game many times before... I am finding it pretty difficult and stressful on "normal" lol. It probably is the best way to play it - you really feel like you're stuck in a fucking zombie filled mansion with very limited resources - but I don't think it's the best first way to play it. I think the best advice to first time players is start on, at most, the middle difficulty. If you bomb out your resources and screw up your save on "normal," you can screw the whole playthrough.

Crimson heads make me real nervous, I don't know what it is about them but they instantly put me on edge.

Going to get my shotgun to do some spring cleaning on the mansion.

Oh man - how bout the fact that they are fucking terrifying.

Playing in the daylight or in the evening doesn't really make a difference to me. I don't feel like the game is "scarier" at night, because to me it doesn't matter what my surroundings look like, only what the game environments look like.

The pitch black room adds to the atmosphere even more. I'm playing this game now in daylight as well as night but the atmosphere is enhanced at night. Also, I don't know where the dips are since I still didn't stumble on a dip. Just got the
Armor Room death mask
and haven't seen a single dip so far whether it's from gameplay or cutscenes. Playing the X1 version here.

Grief.exe

Crimson heads make me real nervous, I don't know what it is about them but they instantly put me on edge.

Going to get my shotgun to do some spring cleaning on the mansion.

Sanctuary

When people talk about games being scarier at night, it's usually because a) it's dark in the room they are playing in unless you already have it blacked out somehow, b) if you live with anyone else, they are usually less mobile and c) there's much less, if no outside noise to interfere with your concentration. Which isn't an issue if you're using headphones that drown out everything anyway.

Unless you live alone, with a sound-proofed environment, the outside factors do interfere. Regardless, most of the actual "scares" in the game are just joy-buzzer type scares anyway.

HeelPower

RE4 came out, and the REmake had sold as poorly as it did, it didn't really make any sense.

This is a case where being exclusive to single platform really hurt the game.

Imagine if REmake were available on PS2 on launch.It could've changed the series focus entirely.

Oh well I am very happy I got to experience this masterpiece now.People weren't exaggerating how good it really is.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How are you supposed to shoot the zombies in this game?

Am I supposed to just unload on them? Wait until they get close and at the last second aim high and shoot them in the head? It looks like the gun angle is too high for that...

Personally I avoid enemies if I can - killing them isn't always a good thing. For various reasons.

Dai101

Banned
The trick is to use the auto aim to detect whether or not they are actually dead.

Just to add,
In REAL SURVIVAL
that doesn't work anymore :D

You're overthinking it. The aiming doesn't need to be precise or anything. Aiming up to the head is only really useful if you have a shotgun or the Colt Python. If you really must shoot, wait til they fall to the floor and you see a pool of blood. If you don't see a pool of blood after they fall, then they'll get back up.

The Colt Python is a guaranteed head shot 99.99% of the time and an instakill for every other enemy not being a boss (that is the Yawn the second time and the Tyrant). Talking about the CP, don't waste it (if you manage to find it), you only have 12 rounds in all the game for this weapon.

By the way, the first time you encounter the Yawn you can skip the fight entirely.

A tip for recycle the daggers, you can recover them 2 or even 3 times (if you're lucky) inmediatly after you impale a zombie try to blow their head with the shotgun and you can recover the dagger.

I was digging around through my stuff and found this.

B75Q9AwIUAAR6kf.jpg

This'll come in handy on the later runs.

HOLY SHIT. I miss this book so, so much. Loved the poster!!

Neff

Once you realize the perfect run through the mansion the level design leaves you in awe.

It really does. Classic RE is so, so good at this.

Or, you could be less patronizing and tell me how any of what you said would have helped me in the example I gave. I knew exactly where each room is and had the path between them memorized. I examined the "puzzle" and thought I knew what I needed. In hindsight, of course, it makes sense I needed a second item but at the time it didn't occur to me.

I'm getting tired of seeing people intimate that if you have any trouble with the game you're a gamer that has been spoiled by today's games. I've been gaming almost since the advent of video games, it has nothing to do with anyone's cred as an old school gamer but rather that the game employs mechanics that are at odds with having fun with a game.

It would be a far better and more fun game if key items didn't take up inventory space. It doesn't add tension, unlike say the save system, it just adds frustration.

Think of your inventory as a puzzle in itself. You need the right pieces in it at the right time to streamline your journey and dramatically minimise backtracking. The satisfaction that comes with knowing what to take with you -and what to sacrifice- is one of the reasons RE is so much fun to play.

Of course, it's not for everyone, but then what kind of challenging, unforgiving game isn't frustrating at some point?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just beat this game for the first time last semester and I really am envious of everyone getting to play it for the first time. It holds some really special moments.

About to start downloading this and I'm pretty excited! I had the remake for Gamecube but never beat it so this will probably be my first time finishing it :)

Sanctuary

I'm glad that I waited so long to replay this game. I'd been mulling over the idea of playing it on Dolphin over the years, but never got around to it for various reasons.

I'm trying to learn how to dodge zombies consistently. it's going to take awhile.

It won't take as long as you might expect. The biggest complaint about the older RE games were the "tank" controls and fixed perspective, but it shouldn't take much more than an hour to adjust to it. They also implemented the "move in any direction" using the analog controls (I haven't tried them yet), so it might be even easier.

antitrop

I'm glad that I waited so long to replay this game. I'd been mulling over the idea of playing it on Dolphin over the years, but never got around to it for various reasons.

I'm with you. It's a wonderful way to experience it for, essentially, the first time.

Where I left off last night is as far as I got back on the GameCube. It's all new content to me from here on out. I left off at
blowing the dog whistle and getting the key

Manu

Capcom obviously has the tools in place for creating some absolutely gorgeous 3D areas.

Could bode well for the potential development of REmake 2 and 3.

Does anyone have screenshots of how those areas looked originally? Never played the GCN version.

Ugh, the GB Quick Look for this is painful. New controls, widescreen, bitching about inventory management while playing as Jill (and having the emblem, blue diamond AND ink ribbons in his inventory for no apparent reason). Lol

Ugh, the GB Quick Look for this is painful. New controls, widescreen, bitching about inventory management while playing as Jill (and having the emblem, blue diamond AND ink ribbons in his inventory for no apparent reason). Lol

Lol this is nothing new, the GB quick looks are often painful because they don't know or care to learn how to play games. I just watch them for the entertainment of seeing the person playing struggle

komorebi

(and having the emblem, blue diamond AND ink ribbons in his inventory for no apparent reason). Lol

This was me last night. I haven't played it in 13 years so I don't know up from down. Spent about 5 minutes staring and thinking at the Armor Key trap (I think?) and the Shotgun last night, cursing the inventory space and ink ribbons. We've really been coddled.

Semajer

Are there any mods (or an easy way) to change the button configuration on the PC version using a 360 controller?

I just want the buttons to be mapped like they are in RE4UHD, and REDS.

HeelPower

The feeling and weight of movement is great in this game,despite it being just tank controls.

I think the next step for RE is to adopt Souls style movement.Free movement but still very weighty.

Screw the over the shoulder perspective.

Yeah this is not happening

Grief.exe

Does anyone have screenshots of how those areas looked originally? Never played the GCN version.

That would actually be a great comparison.

Alo, have any screenshots of the areas that have been redone for this release?

Lol this is nothing new, the GB quick looks are often painful because they don't know or care to learn how to play games. I just watch them for the entertainment of seeing the person playing struggle

Cringe worthy.

Why do you think games like this aren't made anymore? People want to know exactly how to play the game up front, and if they can't? Good riddance, shitty game.

Top Bottom