• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Yes this is my first time playing the game and yes I'm sure I deserve hate for asking this probably obvious question but do zombies come back or "respawn" after you kill them? I see achievements and people mentioning burning bodies, is that the only true way to defeat them? Asking so that I can avoid wasting ammo.

Yes this is my first time playing the game and yes I'm sure I deserve hate for asking this probably obvious question but do zombies come back or "respawn" after you kill them? I see achievements and people mentioning burning bodies, is that the only true way to defeat them? Asking so that I can avoid wasting ammo.

They go down after taking hits, but if you leave the bodies laying around without torching them, they become Crimson Heads and they will fuck you up. You need the lighter and the fuel canteen which you can fill up in save rooms. Each time you fill one up you get 2 uses I believe. Just have the lighter and canteen in your inventory, stand above the fallen zombie, and use your canteen on it.

Yes, if you don't burn them they will come back as crimson heads which are faster and stronger. However if you shoot them and their head explodes you don't need to burn them.

zma1013

So I shouldn't be playing this in widescreen? Is that what I'm hearing?

You're zooming in closer on already filtered and worked over 480p backgrounds from a nearly 12 year old game and cutting out some of the art from your view. 4:3 would lessen the blurriness a bit and you would get to literally see the whole picture.

It's preference. You are missing some of the artwork and backgrounds since it's cropped. I'm usually a snob over this stuff but I find the game looks very nice on my TV in widescreen so I chose to go with that over 4:3.

Play whatever looks best to you.

Dahbomb

Ugh, the GB Quick Look for this is painful. New controls, widescreen, bitching about inventory management while playing as Jill (and having the emblem, blue diamond AND ink ribbons in his inventory for no apparent reason). Lol
Having Ink Ribbons in your inventory is definitely not smart but to be honest the inventory system IS kinda shitty and highly restrictive to a fault. When you are first playing you don't know where the Emblem or the Blue Diamond will get used for... the Emblem you pick up pretty early in the game but you don't use it until much later. This applies to a bunch of other items in the game as well.

Since you don't know where those key items get put in you don't want to be in a position where you finally find the hole to stick those items in and then realize "oh it's in my item box, let me trek all the way across to that item box to get that key and then all the way back to put it in".

It's a highly archaic inventory system that has no place in modern gaming and for good reason. It also doesn't make a lot of sense aside from increasing difficulty and tedium. The funny part is that the inventory system is totally not an issue if you have beaten the game and know where everything is supposed to go but when you don't it's an extreme hassle.

B-Dex

Having Ink Ribbons in your inventory is definitely not smart but to be honest the inventory system IS kinda shitty and highly restrictive to a fault. When you are first playing you don't know where the Emblem or the Blue Diamond will get used for... the Emblem you pick up pretty early in the game but you don't use it until much later. This applies to a bunch of other items in the game as well.

Since you don't know where those key items get put in you don't want to be in a position where you finally find the hole to stick those items in and then realize "oh it's in my item box, let me trek all the way across to that item box to get that key and then all the way back to put it in".

It's a highly archaic inventory system that has no place in modern gaming and for good reason. It also doesn't make a lot of sense aside from increasing difficulty and tedium.

The game is meant to be a challenge and struggle to survive. Realizing you finally figured out where to use an item and going back to get it while not knowing what could be lurking on the way is part of it.

Yes, if you don't burn them they will come back as crimson heads which are faster and stronger. However if you shoot them and their head explodes you don't need to burn them.

Welp, I knifed one to death while it was stuck behind something, not a good idea I take it then. How hard is it to make their heads explode? I'm not used to the shooting.

ComixZone

Neo Member
I had forgotten just how much I love this game.

Even while doing my best to put the nostalgic twinge aside, I find this game incredibly enjoyable. I really hope this release does well enough for Capcom that they realize that classic RE gameplay is something gamers want.

This was me last night. I haven't played it in 13 years so I don't know up from down. Spent about 5 minutes staring and thinking at the Armor Key trap (I think?) and the Shotgun last night, cursing the inventory space and ink ribbons. We've really been coddled.
I admit it took me an hour or so to get re-accustomed to the slower pace of REmake. But I knew not to take the emblem or diamond since I needed to find an item box first so I can pick up more important things like keys.
I thought it looked "fine" until I came across a scene where reverting to 4:3 allowed me to actually see the enemies creeping up at the bottom of the screen.

It also crops the video cutscenes.

The game is meant to be a challenge and struggle to survive. Realizing you finally figured out where to use an item and going back to get it while not knowing what could be lurking on the way is part of it.
Well, there's that and on repeat playthroughs a lot of the fun comes from further streamlining your way through the game. It's highly addictive imo, until you get the perfect run throughout the mansion.

komorebi

I thought it looked "fine" until I came across a scene where reverting to 4:3 allowed me to actually see the enemies creeping up at the bottom of the screen.

It also crops the video cutscenes.

Well damn, looks like I'm going to start over tonight
(I really need to learn how to juke zombies perfectly every time)
and try it with 4:3 until I make it to the first item box. I gave it a brief switch when I started but decided to stick with widescreen.

Welp, I knifed one to death while it was stuck behind something, not a good idea I take it then. How hard is it to make their heads explode? I'm not used to the shooting.

I think it's just a random chance to decapitate when you shoot them. I've tried getting right in front of them and aiming up at their head but it still doesn't explode.

The only 2 that did I both shot at straight from like 10 feet away.

Dai101

Banned
DAMN!! i tested this game in my rig and is hilariously slow... It looks AMAZING but it runs in slow-mo. This are the specs:

Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
8GB DDR3
Radeon HD 4760 1GB

I'm sure is the graphics card, what do you think?

I absolutely love how by the time you figure stuff out, you are already accustomed to the mansion and it's hallways, it grows on you and as time passes on you'll find ways to reach where you want much quicker. It feels like you have grown within the environments of the mansion. I like to compare the original style of RE games to metroidvania games. In the sense you start out in one place but then slowly get stronger and progress through the game which also makes you reminisce about the old places you were in because you spent so much time there and really grew as a character psychologically by learning the ins and outs of where you are plus what is the fastest way from going to point A to point B after having the needed item to open a door lets say.

It always manages to make me miss the place where I was when I progress because I spent so much time exploring, unlocking doors, doing puzzles, going through notes, defeated bosses, listening to the fantastic score of that place.etc that when I finally reach to the point of progressing without returning to that place again it makes me bittersweet in that it also gives such a sense of progression and satisfaction to you as a player. You can't achieve that unless the game is built in a sense like a maze. Everything in the original Resident Evil games design wise was pitch perfect.

Pedersen

Can somebody give me a vague tip about The
Imitation key I found inside a book? It has the armor symbol on (I think) and i guess it can open the armor doors, but I have to find a way to sturdy it or something.

Also
The dogs jumping through the windows in a hallway I have gone through many times! Fuck, that scared me. Wondered what triggered it.

When you have an item and don't know what it's for just put it in the chest.

Get key, open all possible doors while just carrying some ammo and a healing item, unload items you found in the chest.
Eventually you'll realize what one or more items are for. Look at map and plan shortest route between chest and relevant rooms.
Save when going to the chest and put ink ribbons back in.
Get new key, rinse and repeat.

Seriously, it's surprising to me how much trouble a lot of people seem to be having.

Use the map and plan ahead, don't go running around blindly with a full inventory for fuck's sake.

Thinking about eurogamer's review again and how they mention the dog whistle scene as an example of obtuse design.
There's a file that literally tells you step by step what you're supposed to do and even has a friggin' picture of the exact place where you're supposed to use the whistle.
What's so hard here? When you come across the place in the picture you fetch the whistle and use it.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
DAMN!! i tested this game in my rig and is hilariously slow... It looks AMAZING but it runs in slow-mo. This are the specs:

Intel Core i3 530 2.93GHz
8GB DDR3
Radeon HD 4760 1GB

I'm sure is the graphics card, what do you think?

Try lock down the fps to 30

Imitation key I found inside a book? It has the armor symbol on (I think) and i guess it can open the armor doors, but I have to find a way to sturdy it or something.

Also
The dogs jumping through the windows in a hallway I have gone through many times! Fuck, that scared me. Wondered what triggered it.

It seems to have the exact same weight as a real mansion key!

Also

You don't have to make it sturdy because it's use is for something else entirely and when you get to that place you'll know. Just keep this word in mind, exchange.

Also

The
imitation key won't open doors by itself. You need to swap it for a real key.
I won't tell you where unless you want me to

Chabbles

When you have an item and don't know what it's for just put it in the chest.

Get key, open all possible doors while just carrying some ammo and a healing item, unload items you found in the chest.
Eventually you'll realize what one or more items are for. Look at map and plan shortest route between chest and relevant rooms.
Save when going to the chest and put ink ribbons back in.
Get new key, rinse and repeat.

Seriously, it's surprising to me how much trouble a lot of people seem to be having.

Use the map and plan ahead, don't go running around blindly with a full inventory for fuck's sake.

Surprising ?,Its probably a similar amount of trouble people had on their first playthrough back on PS1, maybe even more with games being dumbed down these days, specially the Resi series.

Timu

You're zooming in closer on already filtered and worked over 480p backgrounds from a nearly 12 year old game and cutting out some of the art from your view. 4:3 would lessen the blurriness a bit and you would get to literally see the whole picture.
That's another reason yet to use 4:3, plus I think it looks better that way.

Erebus

Love how the game plays on PC. Save for some specific areas, the game still looks brilliant in HD.

I tried the alternate control scheme and surprisingly I like it.

Big Chungus

Whats the best way to finish the game under 3 hours?

Been looking for a good video on youtube but they're using an infinite rocket/grenade launcher.

God, never played RE (1) and I find zombies too damn tough in "like climbing a mountain" difficulty. Almost invencible if just using the knife or 7 gun shots...

Well, I am still as awful at dodging Zombies as I ever was. Any tips? Also, should I use the new control scheme or the original? What are the benefits of each?

And should Vsync be on or off? Should I set the frame rate to 60FPS or "Variable"?

I have a lot of questions, sorry.

Still enjoying the hell out of the game! :D

allan-bh

On normal difficulty there is enough ammo to kill all zombies and prevent to become Crimson Head?

What is the best strategy, kill all or only some on strategic places?

Dai101

Banned
Whats the best way to finish the game under 3 hours?

Been looking for a good video on youtube but they're using an infinite rocket/grenade launcher.

Some tips:

- AVOID KILLING!! This takes a lot, and i mean A LOT of time. Kill just whatever it needs killing, avoid burning bodies too.

- Try to memorise where everything is.

- Manage your inventory, avoid keeping useless items like ink-ribbons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptL3xu3IQYQ

Here's a nice run in New Game

I don't get it - what's the problem with using widescreen? Is it just purists being, well, purists or is it detrimental to enjoying the game?

If you want the full image then 4:3 is the way to go since Widescreen is kind of like zooming in on the image which in turn crops the edges out. It looks good but I feel 4:3 looks better and is less blurry as well.

Top Bottom