• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Grief.exe

I'm starring at a billiard ball and oil lamp puzzle, but I feel like I don't have all the pieces to it.

It's nothing you couldn't already guess, but if you must know, you can hear it pretty well in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...gGU&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837#t=467

The cutscene starts at 7:47.

Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't hear Wesker's voice clearly in this version. I got the impression he was being intentionally obscured as I could barely hear him even when I turned up the volume on my amp.

Almost finished my first play through, really pleased with this remaster.
Looks great, backgrounds look better than I thought they would (although for a few of them in particular the HD upscaling/filtering process was not successful) characters look very detailed and clean, extra dynamic lighting is pretty cool.
But most importantly the new controls and map system have really made the game more comfortable and clear to play while keeping intact the spirit of the original game.
So thumbs up from me and I hope we get news about Biohazard Zero soon.
Also Capcom should really consider to remake RE2 and RE3 with this kind of graphics in the future.

I wouldn't really say the new control sytem keeps with the spirit of the original game, case in point.

GgSy7ka.gif

From Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Devil

Funny how some people finally realize that the much hated tank controls were not just a relic of it's time but that the game was actually designed around it's mechanics so that the game would be broken if the controls were different. Now they actually are and it indeed breaks the game.

Same with RE4, some people still say it's "horribly outdated" because of the tankish controls while I think it has aged perfectly and still outclasses many if not most similar but "more modern" 3rd person games by far because it is so well designed with it's controls in mind.

Jawmuncher

Funny how some people finally realize that the much hated tank controls were not just a relic of it's time but that the game was actually designed around it's mechanics so that the game would be broken if the controls were different. Now they actually are and it indeed breaks the game.

Same with RE4, some people still say it's "horribly outdated" because of the tankish controls while I think it has aged perfectly and still outclasses many if not most similar but "more modern" 3rd person games by far because it is so well designed with it's controls in mind.

Reminds me of all the hate over "Why can't I move and shoot in RE5?"
Even though just like RE4 it was made around that. Since everything is telegraphed before hand.

Thanks, I don't know why I couldn't hear Wesker's voice clearly in this version. I got the impression he was being intentionally obscured as I could barely hear him even when I turned up the volume on my amp.

Yeah, it's even worse in the PS1 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=...ure=player_detailpage&x-yt-ts=1421782837#t=53

The scene starts at 0:53, you can't hear a thing besides Barry's voice but if you rip the audio there actually is very muffled sounding dialogue from Wesker. And there're no subtitles for Wesker's part in any version.

To be honest though, this post is just an excuse to post another Barry conversation from the original. The confrontation between Jill and him afterwards is pure gold.

Bl@de

Great summary.

NeoGAF Classic RE fans:
i_told_you_so_stephen_colbert.gif

Never doubt the gameplay of a Mikami title

Elios83

I'm starring at a billiard ball and oil lamp puzzle, but I feel like I don't have all the pieces to it.

I wouldn't really say the new control sytem keeps with the spirit of the original game, case in point.

Well but that gif isn't really representative of what happens commonly in the game, I still have to heal a lot, there's still a sense of urgency/tension because of low ammos, limited health kits and saves and small inventory room. That was the spirit of the game imo, being caught by zombies because of shitty controls was more a side effect. Also they still catch you a lot....and those dogs, those crimson heads are still brutal... :D
Overall I'm really satisifed with the new controls, they seem the perfect compromise to make the game feel more modern.

Ok, Gaf. I'm gonna buy this game in just a bit, but before I do, is there any advantage to either the ps4 version or xbox one version I should be aware of before I do? I have both systems, but prefer the xbox.

Dai101

Banned
what is "to juke"?
and what part are you talking about?

Probably shooting a zombie to make it stumble and then run around it.

Ok, Gaf. I'm gonna buy this game in just a bit, but before I do, is there any advantage to either the ps4 version or xbox one version I should be aware of before I do? I have both systems, but prefer the xbox.

Then go for the Xbox. The game is the same in both platforms.

Spades

Just finished the game for the first time in about 18 years. Reminded me why it was one of my all-time favourite games.

Grief.exe

I believe the frame timing is slightly better in the Xbox version, and better shadows/AA ion the PS4, but there isn't too much of a difference.

The PC version is far and away the best currently, especially with the modding community already stepping up.

Alright since I'm new to this whole Lisa Trevor thing, I'm not sure what I should do first.
I got the two emblems to access the gate in the main entrance of the mansion, which I assume is Lisa since I heard moaning at the gate.
And I have the battery to do the whole waterfall thing with the crank like I would do in the original game.
Does it even matter which I do first?

Alright since I'm new to this whole Lisa Trevor thing, I'm not sure what I should do first.
I got the two emblems to access the gate in the main entrance of the mansion, which I assume is Lisa since I heard moaning at the gate.
And I have the battery to do the whole waterfall thing with the crank like I would do in the original game.

gotta do both so nope. though cant remember the "best" order to do it.

If you look closely you'll notice that one of the emblems is not quite complete yet...there's only one thing you can do for now

lutheran

If you wait until the weekend you can get it on PS4 for 10 percent off...

Jawmuncher

I believe the frame timing is slightly better in the Xbox version, and better shadows/AA ion the PS4, but there isn't too much of a difference.

The PC version is far and away the best currently, especially with the modding community already stepping up.

Not working hard enough.
If I don't see a Regina attempt, all my faith in the modding community is done.

Ricker

This makes RE6 look like an even bigger pile of shit. Can't believe this masterpiece of a series evolved into that.

And this is why to this day,most people cant wait for a new RE because of the magic of the first...I enjoyed 6 because I played through the whole game with the same co-op friend but man did this series change...

Melchiah

Odd. Make sure your tv is not overscanning and is in just scan aspect ratio as opposed to 16 by 9. I've said this before and it looks like a lot of gaffers have their aspect ratio incorrectly set up.

I checked all the available settings, and it doesn't appear to be overscanning. You just lose some of the vertical view in 16:9 mode.

JRW

I checked all the available settings, and it doesn't appear to be overscanning. You just lose some of the vertical view in 16:9 mode.

Yep this cropping is normal to prevent an overly stretched image in 16:9, Personally I'm playing in 4:3 mode.

Melchiah

Yep this cropping is normal to prevent an overly stretched image in 16:9, Personally I'm playing in 4:3 mode.

Is it also normal, that the 4:3 mode has those little black borders on top and bottom? I only noticed them in the screenshots I just took.

That's the shot, where the mansion wasn't fully visible in 16:9m mode.

I hope Capcom remakes RE2 and RE3 with the 3D tools they have for this game. Just do it 1:1, pretty them up.

Also, CVX and Zero HD (which apparently is on the way!).

So let me ask a question. I thought I remembered reading something about REmaster's bg files being accessible. If that's the case, is it possible for someone or group of people from going in and touching up/adding detail back into the backgrounds?

There are some extremely passionate people out there, I'm sure if this is possible that some people would jump on that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Whats the best way to finish the game under 3 hours?

RUN LIKE THE WIND. EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING: Menus, Options, etc.) WILL COUNT TOWARD YOUR TIME once you load into the manson. AKA: Skip cutscenes. Do not open the menu UNLESS you have to. Dodge zombies.

Know what you're doing. AKA: Do not knife unless you're feeling ballsy. Pick up certain weapons and enough ammo to "clear an area" if you're going through there often but not even then.

A PROTIP: DO NOT KILL ANY ZOMBIES. Trust me on this, you're far better off saving the ammo and time if you get good at "juking" the zombies/dodging them and going through areas as quick as you can. ONCE THE INFAMOUS ENEMIES COME IN start killing them if you're going through areas again to save yourself a lot of health and hassle.

KNOW THE PUZZLES. You don't want to sit there trying to figure them out.

Optionally and if you're feeling ballsy: Watch this series of a 1 hour 42 min run and do some of his stuff (or all of it if you have big balls) where he avoids like 90% of weapons only uses 2-3 weapons and DOESN'T GET HIT MORE THAN ONCE in the run. Even then watch it anyway as it'll give you a good sense of routes to take and what you want to do.

Is it also normal, that the 4:3 mode has those little black borders on top and bottom? I only noticed them in the screenshots I just took.

That's the shot, where the mansion wasn't fully visible in 16:9m mode.

...Yes? You're (probably) playing the game on a 16:9 monitor/TV. The game was designed for 4:3 monitor/TV's at the time (1998-2002). AKA: The 4:3 option shows you the game in all it's native resolution/aspect ratio glory. While the 16:9 option gives you UGH-ly zooming pan-and-scan like VHS tapes of the 1980's to "fill in the TV" when the production wasn't for that aspect ratio.

If you want the true classic experience:

Native Resolution (4:3)
Type-B controller (not exactly but the closest to the PSX and Gamecube version)
No auto-use defense items
Classic/Tank controls.

So just for a normal Jill playthrough, should I be not killing any zombies and just trying to dodge them as best as I can? I'm not exactly sure "how" I should be playing. On top of that, should I be picking up everything I come across, because it seems like stuff will just be taking up space in my inventory for a long time sometimes, but the problem is, if you dont already know what things are for, how are you supposed to know what to pick up or not?

Not played REmake in over a decade and just finished my first play through as Jill. Completion time was 5:16 - So close to unlocking the samurai edge! Not bad though.

Cudder

So just for a normal Jill playthrough, should I be not killing any zombies and just trying to dodge them as best as I can? I'm not exactly sure "how" I should be playing. On top of that, should I be picking up everything I come across, because it seems like stuff will just be taking up space in my inventory for a long time sometimes, but the problem is, if you dont already know what things are for, how are you supposed to know what to pick up or not?

Try and pick up everything, it will only help. That means you'll be traveling to and from item boxes very often. For things where you have no idea what to do with, put them in the item box and come back to them later.

Melchiah

...Yes? You're (probably) playing the game on a 16:9 monitor/TV. The game was designed for 4:3 monitor/TV's at the time (1998-2002). AKA: The 4:3 option shows you the game in all it's native resolution/aspect ratio glory. While the 16:9 option gives you UGH-ly zooming pan-and-scan like VHS tapes of the 1980's to "fill in the TV" when the production wasn't for that aspect ratio.

If you want the true classic experience:

Native Resolution (4:3)
Type-B controller (not exactly but the closest to the PSX and Gamecube version)
No auto-use defense items
Classic/Tank controls.

Yes, I'm playing on 16:9 TV, like most players I'd wager. I just found the little black borders on top and bottom odd. I dunno if the PS1/2 classics on the PS3 had them, as I never noticed them while playing, like in Remaster's case now.

I'm playing with the settings you mentioned, except I'm using modern controls. I just can't go back to the old style after all these years. Tybe B just felt most natural of those available.

EDIT:
So it sorta looks like this right?

ResidentEvilRemasterCrop.jpg

Yeah, something like that.

Astral

Always keep at least two slots open in your inventory. Whenever you pick something up that you have no idea what to do with, just store it in the save room box.

L.O.R.D

the PC port is weird
its overheating my CPU very high
its the only game that take 80-90% of its power
the fan went crazy when playing the game

i hadn't this problem in the emulator

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I just found the little black borders on top and bottom odd.

Any game that is 4:3-set will have those black borders on 16:9. The PSX emulator on PS3/PSP/PSP2 doesn't show them as clearly because the default option isn't "native"/original resolution. It's "zoomed" like the PSX did for old TV's since the PSX was... 240x350? Or something like that resolution and then upscaled on TV like a 720p HD resolution being upscaled on a 1080p TV if the person doesn't set the TV/console to display the 720p native.

However on the PSX emulator you have that, the original (which shrinks the image to said 240x350 resolution), Zoomed in (similar to an HDTV zooming the picture in) and an extreme zoom and I think a custom option.

In any case, the bars are there due to 4:3. Same with King of Fighters or any other "pre-HD" port that allows you to resize from the 16:9 back to native (4:3) aspect ratios. Some (like KoF'98) will allow you to put a border on the black bars thereby "hiding them" in a fashion.

The opposite side would be black bars above and below for 16:9 (or 16:10? Forgetting the actual ratio) resolutions on stuff that doesn't match that in terms of things like TV/Films that are put on DVD/Blu-ray. Those bars are there to keep the original "aspect ratio" since a lot of people prefer it that way.

Top Bottom