• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

I don't get it - what's the problem with using widescreen? Is it just purists being, well, purists or is it detrimental to enjoying the game?

It cuts off details from the environment. Nothing game ruining, but I prefer 4:3, though I understand if someone can't deal with the black borders on their expensive TV/monitor.

Well, I am still as awful at dodging Zombies as I ever was. Any tips? Also, should I use the new control scheme or the original? What are the benefits of each?

And should Vsync be on or off? Should I set the frame rate to 60FPS or "Variable"?

I have a lot of questions, sorry.

Still enjoying the hell out of the game! :D

Does the remaster literally have a dodge mechanic or are we just talking about running around them?

What are these defense items? I see the button in the control menu but i havent found one yet.

I havent played RE1 since psx, but im surprised how immediately familar the game is. That first zombie encounter felt like déjà vu.

Grief.exe

Does the remaster literally have a dodge mechanic or are we just talking about running around them?

What are these defense items? I see the button in the control menu but i havent found one yet.

I havent played RE1 since psx, but im surprised how immediately familar the game is. That first zombie encounter felt like déjà vu.

No dodge mechanic, just trying to get it down so they lunge and miss you.

Defense items are new to the GC version, set to automatic by default. It will go through the mechanic when you find your first one, and you can't miss it.

I don't get it - what's the problem with using widescreen? Is it just purists being, well, purists or is it detrimental to enjoying the game?

It's essentially the difference between pan-and-scan and true 16:9 on home video, just in reverse. You are cutting the image off, and zooming in - thereby losing information and resolution.

I'm an old school fanboy for this game, and I'm using widescreen though. I think it looks great and that the camera tracking works really well.

If you want to play the game the way it truly originally released, with no lost information or resolution from the backgrounds though, you play it in 4:3.

I just got to
the cabin with Lisa
. I say wow, I can actually see all the details that I couldn't before in
her face, like here eyeball

Incredible.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised with Widescreen despite generally being a purist. I've played this game so much though that I don't mind the "new" look.

Miguel81

Do you guys keep the brightness at default? 50 seems a bit dark compared to the GC version, though it amps the mood.

Edit: I switched to 4:3 early on when I saw how zoomed in the dining room painting was.

Dai101

Banned
Do you guys keep the brightness at default? 50 seems a bit dark compared to the GC version, though it amps the mood.

Usually yes, sometimes and depending on display i crack it up or down.

Yes, the game is dark (no pun intended) by design even on GC.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you think games like this aren't made anymore? People want to know exactly how to play the game up front, and if they can't? Good riddance, shitty game.

I know I'm going to get resistance for this claim, but I think that's why a lot of people hated on RE6. The game was one of the most sublime TPS experiences of last gen, but it got shit on by people who didn't want to take the time to learn the controls and how to execute all the moves available to you. However if you took the time to learn the system and practiced sliding, dodging, twirling, and countering, it became an incredibly satisfying experience.

This is why I love the RE series: the games present you with a world and a set of mechanics with very minimal explanation, and it's up to you to figure it all out.

I find on one-on-one encounters it's pretty easy to dodge some zombie's if you manipulate them into lunging at you. Just get close enough that they'll try to grab you, and if they miss they'll be temporarily stunned and you can safely run around them.

Yeah I've been pleasantly surprised with Widescreen despite generally being a purist. I've played this game so much though that I don't mind the "new" look.

Same here. I hate compromising the "intended" experience with media but widescreen looks very nice and the panning feature works pretty well.

malfcn

E is an interesting setting.
Part of me wishes there was tank on the analog that defaulted to run like the alternative. But that would be too good.

je_ssi e

I'm torn.
4:3 is better if you want the full image, but it's borked on 16:10 monitors. I not only get black bars on the side, but also the top/bottom.

I want to use 4:3, but. . .

Also of note (and, a hilarious one at that), is 4:3 also being placed inside of a box on a 4:3 monitor.

If you want the full image then 4:3 is the way to go since Widescreen is kind of like zooming in on the image which in turn crops the edges out. It looks good but I feel 4:3 looks better and is less blurry as well.

It cuts off details from the environment. Nothing game ruining, but I prefer 4:3, though I understand if someone can't deal with the black borders on their expensive TV/monitor.

It's essentially the difference between pan-and-scan and true 16:9 on home video, just in reverse. You are cutting the image off, and zooming in - thereby losing information and resolution.

I'm an old school fanboy for this game, and I'm using widescreen though. I think it looks great and that the camera tracking works really well.

If you want to play the game the way it truly originally released, with no lost information or resolution from the backgrounds though, you play it in 4:3.

I'm torn.
4:3 is better if you want the full image, but it's borked on 16:10 monitors. I not only get black bars on the side, but also the top/bottom.

I want to use 4:3, but. . .

Also of note (and, a hilarious one at that), is 4:3 also being placed inside of a box on a 4:3 monitor.

Cool - thanks guys - guess I'll go the 4:3 route when I boot it up for the first time tonight.

After watching Carcinogen's midnight stream a couple of nights ago I was worried about the Steam version, but I have the game running at my ideal settings and it's been a really great experience. Still getting used to playing with a Dualshock 4, but it's kinda nice to play with a dpad that's larger than the Gamecube controller's :p

Playing 4:3 keeps the feel pretty authentic, the moving camera in widescreen weirds me out. One reason I am enjoying the PC version compared to PS4 is the almost non-existent load times which is great. Another reason is to try out the game at 60 FPS and so far the increased frame rate looks and feels like an improvement! The new and warmer lighting sources produce more accurate shadows but I think I prefer the cooler lighting of the original as it's a bit creepier to me. Haven't noticed higher pitched sound files yet like some have mentioned, I might need to listen again. Wish that Hard mode was accessible from the start but this is one game I can play over and over again so that's just a minor complaint!

Dahbomb

Well, I am still as awful at dodging Zombies as I ever was. Any tips? Also, should I use the new control scheme or the original? What are the benefits of each?

And should Vsync be on or off? Should I set the frame rate to 60FPS or "Variable"?

I have a lot of questions, sorry.

Still enjoying the hell out of the game! :D
If you are using tank controls then the way to dodge zombies is to face them but walk away from them (so press down on your Dpad/Analog). Your character will walk backwards, zombie will try to lunge but will miss and this is your chance to run past him.

With the new controls you basically just move towards them and twirl the stick away from the zombie at the last second to make them miss their lunge and then run past them. You can also move from one side of the corridor and sharply turn to the other side (zombie will track to one side leaving a gap for you to run through).

Svafnir

Never played this game before, can I just play it in very easy and enjoy it? Don't feel like being frustrated with ammo management and lots of deaths.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Never played this game before, can I just play it in very easy and enjoy it? Don't feel like being frustrated with ammo management and lots of deaths.

Play it however you want to play to play it. If you'll have fun playing it on Very Easy, then do that. I'm playing it on Easy and alternate controls and having a blast.

To be fair I'll probably replay the game on Normal/Hard with original controls eventually.

GgSy7ka.gif

From Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Elios83

Almost finished my first play through, really pleased with this remaster.
Looks great, backgrounds look better than I thought they would (although for a few of them in particular the HD upscaling/filtering process was not successful) characters look very detailed and clean, extra dynamic lighting is pretty cool.
But most importantly the new controls and map system have really made the game more comfortable and clear to play while keeping intact the spirit of the original game.
So thumbs up from me and I hope we get news about Biohazard Zero soon.
Also Capcom should really consider to remake RE2 and RE3 with this kind of graphics in the future.

Salty Hippo

What are the chances of someone creating a mod for infinite or larger inventory space soon? I already beat the game years ago and I'd like a frustration-free experience this time around. Fuck those 8 slots.

lutheran

I can't believe I am considering buying this game for like the 4th time in my life. I just see all of you having so much fun lol...and I have a back-log the size of Fort Knox. I will wait for the weekend to get some money off on the PS4 with that 10 percent off deal. My PC won't run it well enough, my Video card is only the ATI Radeon HD 6670..

Randam

What are the chances of someone creating a mod for infinite or larger inventory space soon? I already beat the game years ago and I'd like a frustration-free experience this time around. Fuck those 8 slots.

lern the game, so you know what you will need and when you need it so you only take stuff with you yiu need right now.

Melchiah

Just reached the trail that leads to
Lisa's cabin
, and I tried the 4:3 mode on the spot where the mansion looms in the background. Using the original screen ratio the mansion was fully visible, unlike in the 16:9 mode. The graphics seem also sharper, so I guess I'm sticking with 4:3 now, eventhough the black borders on the sides annoy me.

Just reached the trail that leads to
Lisa's cabin
, and I tried the 4:3 mode on the spot where the mansion looms in the background. Using the original screen ratio the mansion was fully visible, unlike in the 16:9 mode. The graphics seem also sharper, so I guess I'm sticking with 4:3 now, eventhough the black borders on the sides annoy me.

Odd. Make sure your tv is not overscanning and is in just scan aspect ratio as opposed to 16 by 9. I've said this before and it looks like a lot of gaffers have their aspect ratio incorrectly set up.

Anyway. Just cleared the game on ps4. I'll wait a bit to go and clear the game with Chris.

Top Bottom