• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Lothar

Banned
The thing is it no longer sell. That potential is not what the market want. Full stop. There is absolutely no horror game that sell enough to warrant AAA budge anymore.

How would you know when no AAA games are doing horror? How can you say they no longer sell when there are no longer survival horror games? Well, except for Evil Within and last I heard that was doing pretty well.

From wikipedia
"In the United States, the game was the third best selling game of October 2014. The game also set the record for the highest-selling first month of sales for a new survival horror IP."

ivb_1973

Banned
Good morning/afternoon/night fellow gaffers!

I have some money left in my steam account and now it seems that REmake, Resident Evil 4 and The evil within cost the same thanks to a good Evil within discount. So my question is, to all that have played the 3 games, as a survival horror fan, which one do you recommend the most and why?

I have no permissions to make a new thread and I don't know which thread is the best to ask this so I thought to ask it in one of the most active related threads.

SDCowboy

This.
Too many folks in this thread complaining about intentional design choices.

If it's a design choice, that's fine. The choice can still be antiquated, though. Times have changed and with them, so has the patience for extremely confined inventory management and extreme levels of backtracking.

Quikies83

I suppose it could be looked at that way, too. The main thing driving me nuts, though, is the inventory system. Having limited space is driving me insane. It causes endless backtracking and having to try to remember what room has what. Call it a design choice, I call it antiquated. Either way, I don't seem to have the patience for it anymore. lol
In a lot of ways it is antiquated - game is from 96 after all.
Sorry you aren't enjoying it.

Good morning/afternoon/night fellow gaffers!

I have some money left in my steam account and now it seems that REmake, Resident Evil 4 and The evil within cost the same thanks to a good Evil within discount. So my question is, to all that have played the 3 games, as a survival horror fan, which one do you recommend the most and why?
Resident Evil 4 is the safest choise for sure. It's more ''modern'' than REmake and I think it's way better than Evil Within. Though RE4 is the ugliest game of the 3. Some textures are pretty brutal.

ArjanN

If it's a design choice, that's fine. The choice can still be antiquated, though. Times have changed and with them, so has the patience for extremely confined inventory management and extreme levels of backtracking.

The inventory management is a core element of the game design. Saying it's antiquated just reminds me of people claiming turn-based gameplay is antiquated, while really it's just different.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The thing is it no longer sell. That potential is not what the market want. Full stop. There is absolutely no horror game that sell enough to warrant AAA budge anymore.

I'm pretty sure Capcom said that RE5 was their best selling RE to date. So I don't think this statement is accurate.

ArjanN

Not if he said he's a survival horror fan. That should put RE4 last on his list.

Eh, The Evil Within is basically RE4 with worse gameplay.

I'm pretty sure Capcom said that RE5 was their best selling RE to date. So I don't think this statement is accurate.

I think he was talking about the more classic RE style, so I doubt he meant RE5. I think there's still room for horror games with little action, but probably not at AAA budget levels.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Haha. I watched the entire game on YT and it didn't seem very well put together to me. But I haven't played it so I can't judge. The story was horrendous, that much I can tell you.

I think he was talking about the more classic RE style, so I doubt he meant RE5. I think there's still room for horror games with little action, but probably not at AAA budget levels.

Ah, gotcha. That makes more sense.

Lothar

Banned

I only played the very beginning but I liked in the first area that I didn't get any weapons and I was forced to hide a lot. RE4 didn't make me do that. The second area reminded me of RE4. That wasn't so good though. I don't know how the rest of the game is.

gelf

I don't get why people say this. It's far more stingy with ammo then RE4 making it a different game in most chapters. Certainly more of a survival horror game and I prefer it. Didnt have an issue with the gameplay at all apart from an underwhelming final boss.

dlauv

Evil Within was all around worse than RE4, I think. From the way the guns handled, to pacing, to story, to boss and enemy design. Evil Within had some problems and I never found myself really enjoying it even though I wanted to, but I did like chapter 9.
Being chased around in the mansion was pretty fun, albeit brief.

I liked the atmosphere in Evil Within more, but who wouldn't, you know.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Well, I started the game on Normal difficulty. It's been awhile since I've played RE or REmake. I explored a few rooms, killed a zombie, then tried to open the front mansion doors just to see what would happen.

I was killed by the zombie dog that enters before you can close the door. I hadn't saved up until that point.

Welcome to Resident Evil.

Sectus

For people getting frustrated with the small inventory, I have one big recommendation: don't carry more than a few items when leaving a safe room.

I'm getting to the point I'm memorizing the game well enough to remember what I need when, but before then, I'd usually leave safe room with only one weapon, one healing item, and whatever keys I hadn't discarded yet. Ink ribbons are pointless to carry around since type writers are almost always next to item boxes. Carrying 2 weapons or reserve ammo is overkill unless you know you're going to a boss fight. Carrying puzzle items is pointless unless you have an idea where to use them.

ivb_1973

Banned
Thank you for all the answers!

I think I'm going for REmake first. Two years ago I played SH2 for the first time and it became my favourite game of all time, so I don't think I'm going to be bothered for the orthopedic gameplay style if it delivers. Moreso if it's used to increase the survival horror elements.

So now, Jill + Hard or Chris + Normal? What are your thoughts on that?

^^

(RE 4 when I can, maybe when that texture mod is going to be completely made, and for The Evil Within... well I'll leave that for much later)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((

To be fair, I was never going to play TEW. As big of an RE fan as I am, I could never bring myself to finish RE4 (blasphemy, I know). TEW being billed as "the new RE4" meant that I had zero interest in playing it. What I was interested in, however, was seeing whether Shinji Mikami still had it after all these years.

He does not.

You can turn off the door transitions with a PC mod.

I find the fixed camera angles to be an excellent way to experience the game. Though there are probably some easy ways to modernize the inventory system. Maybe drop it down a couple of slots and decouple keys, save ribbons, and various random objects you find in the mansion from the main inventory, so they are available at all times. This could cut down on some of the frivolous backtracking.

I agree, and the fact that the environment can be pre-rendered with as much detail as the artist wants without having any effect on performance is a really big deal. I also agree with the inventory, and I think the later games did a better job with having things like ink ribbons and keys not take inventory space.

Sectus

I think I'm going for REmake first. Two years ago I played SH2 for the first time and it became my favourite game of all time, so I don't think I'm going to be bothered for the orthopedic gameplay style if it delivers. Moreso if it's used to increase the survival horror elements.

^^

(RE 4 when I can, maybe when that texture mod is going to be completely made, and for The Evil Within... well I'll leave that for much later)

Note you don't have hard unlocked from the start. When you first play the game, you can choose between normal, easy, and very easy.

Whatever you'd choose, I'd recommend staying away from very easy as that really trivializes combat.

I suppose it could be looked at that way, too. The main thing driving me nuts, though, is the inventory system. Having limited space is driving me insane. It causes endless backtracking and having to try to remember what room has what. Call it a design choice, I call it antiquated. Either way, I don't seem to have the patience for it anymore. lol
IMO that's good. Forces you to think ahead. Unlike spoon fed games of today.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

^^

Orthopedic? I didn't realize there was a surgery mini-game in REmake. You might be thinking of Dead Space 2. *shudder*

To your second question, you can't start on Hard; you have to unlock it by beating the game once. Also from what everyone has been saying, if you've never played the game before, Normal is pretty hard. I would probably start on Easy for your first run then move up to Normal/Hard for subsequent runs.

Of course, if you really like a challenge, then go ahead and start on Normal.

^^

I'm thinking that Jill + Hard will be impossible as you have to beat the game once to unlock that difficulty.

You're going to do both scenarios anyway, right? In that case you might as well start with Jill, less backtracking for a newcomer. If you're only planning to play through one scenario I think Chris's scenario is more fun to play and in the REmake I prefer his story too.

ivb_1973

Banned
¡Mecachis!

I guess I'm going to stick with Chris then, unless you can ignore Jill's lockpick and play with normal keys... nah, Chris on normal will do. I rarely replay horror games because I don't like to know what happens in a game based highly on a surprise element.

Is it a bad idea for me to restart my play through if I've burned through 10 saves and I haven't reached the first boss yet? I think I can be a lot more efficient on a replay. I fired a ton of bullets and now realize I can get away with just running away most of the time.

gconsole

How would you know when no AAA games are doing horror? How can you say they no longer sell when there are no longer survival horror games? Well, except for Evil Within and last I heard that was doing pretty well.

From wikipedia
"In the United States, the game was the third best selling game of October 2014. The game also set the record for the highest-selling first month of sales for a new survival horror IP."

There is no longer survival game because it does not sell. Not the other way around. We are talking business here. There is no point for game company not to push horror game out if it still sell.

And third best selling game of A month doesn't prove AAA title budget dude.

RE is the best chance for horror game to get AAA budget. In business man world, declining of old school RE only translate into nobody buy horror game (even though there are other factors that play the role). And since RE have been transformed into action shooter for almost 10 years, the horror market has also been dead.

Horror game is going the way of fighting and hard-core action. It's no different..

Is it a bad idea for me to restart my play through if I've burned through 10 saves and I haven't reached the first boss yet? I think I can be a lot more efficient on a replay. I fired a ton of bullets and now realize I can get away with just running away most of the time.
Yeah restart. Its a short game. Run past most zombies and run with weapon unequipped. You run faster that way. Fight only in tight corridors where there isn't much room to run past. You can dodge those Zombies too but since you are new you might have problems running past them.

GrayFoxPL

Anyone's else left stick too sensitive?

Like gun twitches up and down while trying to turn while aiming for better shots. Annoying.

PS3 version.

Maybe it's just mine but I don't remember aim being so sensitive on GameCube.

Besides that, pretty cool port. Lot's of memories coming back. Sweet hardcore gameplay. New controls kind of make it easier then it should be but nothing is ruined, no panic.

I hope players who didn't experience true survival horror RE before will like this remaster and vote for more RE in classic style instead of RE6.

There is no longer survival game because it does not sell. Not the other way around. We are talking business here. There is no point for game company not to push horror game out if it still sell.

And third best selling game of A month doesn't prove AAA title budget dude.

RE is the best chance for horror game to get AAA budget. In business man world, declining of old school RE only translate into nobody buy horror game (even though there are other factors that play the role). And since RE have been transformed into action shooter for almost 10 years, the horror market has also been dead.

Horror game is going the way of fighting and hard-core action. It's no different..
Horror games I agree but fighting games are getting bigger and bigger. Mk9, smash, and sfiv all sold very well. They are no cod numbers but sold more than your any other non cod games.

ArjanN

Horror games I agree but fighting games are getting bigger and bigger. Mk9, smash, and sfiv all sold very well. They are no cod numbers but sold more than your any other non cod games.

Fighting games had a revival after SFIV came out.

To be honest so did horror IMO, just (mostly) from indie devs. Games like Amnesia and Outlast and a bunch of stuff in development: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=966878

Waaaaaaait a second. Is this true?

Huh, never knew it was using Counter-Strike rules. :p

Resident Evil has been a action series as long as it has been a horror series now.
Just throwing that out there.

In terms of calendar sure, but it was horror for 1, 2, 3, RE:0, CVX, and if you include RE4 then that's 6 unique games of survival horror for the mainline.

It's only been true "action" for RE5 and 6.

gconsole

I would say fighting game is currently stable enough and not getting smaller. Street Fighter now compare to its glorious day is night and day. Same applies for Tekken. And you can't really count Smash bros, because you know, it's Nintendo.

2.5 millions is not more than any other non COD games.

My point was, the market is still there. But it's no longer AAA. It's no longer main stream. To expect Capcom best selling title to follow this market is ridiculous.

I'm saying this it does not mean I hate horror game. This genre is my most favourite one. But I live long enough to understand the market trend and know where it's heading. I still buy REmaster and play it for a hundred times. But I don't expect Capcom to give birth to this thing when it's already moved on 10 years ago.

Roldan

Do people here consider skipping door animations as cheating? There seems to be a lot of dividing opinions on this based on the feedback I've received on the mod. There's also many speedrunners with different opinions about this (although from what I've heard, they all wish they could skip doors, they just wish it was an official feature so there'd be no reliance on modifying the game).

Some quick information about how doors work:
- Every single door, lift, and gate in the game lasts exactly 7 seconds. In a normal playthrough, this means you spend far more than one hour looking at door animations. In a good speedrun, around 30 minutes is spent looking at doors.
- I haven't experimented with doors on PS1, but I suspect back then they were necessary for loading.
- On GC, the real loading time is between 2-4 seconds, depending on the room.
- On Wii, the real loading time is practically instant, meaning the door animations weren't useful for hiding loading times at all.
- On PC, I suspect the real loading time is also virtually instant. The current mod doesn't actually remove the entire door animation, it'll show a black screen for a half second or so, and that's always enough time to load the room.

I've created a poll here if people wanna vote: http://strawpoll.me/3467643

Yeah, the door animations were necessary on the PS1 iterations. During the animation, after the camera stops "zooming in" into the door, the game freezes for a moment, and then the door opens. If you emulate the game, you'll notice there'll be little to no freezes at all. So I assume that this hiccup (which length vary depending on the room) is actually the game loading the room.

Muffdraul

Is there any way to dodge
hunters
? I feel like i'm spending a lot of bullets on them.

They always swipe with the same claw, I forget if it's left or right. In any case just figure that out and then always run past them on their other side. Works like a charm.

Top Bottom