• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

I think the Dr. Salvador chainsaw decapitation in RE4 was gone in the recent PC port, too.
Nyet, it's there. Just played it last year and the full swipe is in.

Why would they make such an arbitrary edit?

Interesting. I haven't played RE4 yet either but I had largely ruled out ever playing 5/6. Maybe I should reconsider.
Well, it's not scary at all so there's that? I mean.... Just play RE4 and skip the other two. Seriously.

Dai101

Banned
I didn't know that. Is it possible to retrieve it from dead zombies at all or you just have to blow their heads off?

No. This only works with "alive" zombies, you must blow their heads off as soon as you use it, otherwise they dissapear. Gotta be fast to do this.

Isn't RE5 largely considered trash?

Genuine question as I haven't played any RE since CVX

It refines the mechanics in RE4 (e.g,. there is a prompt to attack enemies when they're on the floor instead of having to awkwardly position yourself to knife them after knocking them down) but has worse atmosphere and has less memorable moments than RE4.

The inventory system and the treasures are simplified which you may or may not like. Better campaign than 6, IMO.

KiteGr

I wan't to buy this badly for my collection, but DLCs have no collection value.

Anyone knows how much of the Asian Retail PS4 version is actually in English?
If only the box is in Japanese, then there is no problem. I'll just print my own.

Jawmuncher

I think the "errmmm" is referring to the fact the article is solely talking about the REmaster but the screenshots they used are from RE4. Probably just a mistake.

Didn't even look at the article itself lol.

I wan't to buy this badly for my collection, but DLCs have no collection value.

Anyone knows how much of the Asian Retail PS4 version is actually in English?
If only the box is in Japanese, then there is no problem. I'll just print my own.

That's just a PSN voucher

I will buy RE 4 for the PS4 if it's 1080p 60fps and they redo the trophies to make them varied, plentiful and interesting.

Otherwise, I'm good with just the GC, PS2, Wii, 360, and PC versions.

I mean, since they run on an x86 architecture, it could be relatively easy to port from the PC to the PS4 and get those kinds of results.

Interesting. I haven't played RE4 yet either but I had largely ruled out ever playing 5/6. Maybe I should reconsider.

Go for 4 and 5, they are both fun and great games though I would put 5 over 4 simply because its more, RE4 controls but with classic RE style enemies. Yeah I like monsters rather than villagers. Also felt the story in 4 went completely off the rails and tried to make itself related to the RE plot line at the last possible second, a 3 second cutscene at the end showing wesker is the same crap FFX-2 pulled when people say its related to FFX because, if you get 100% in the game you get an extra 5 second cutscene that makes all the nonsense unrelated crap of the past 90 hours of gameplay... suddenly related to the whole thing... which it doesn't.

me0wish

I consider 5 to be trash, no offense to those that like it. I found it to be boring and repetitive that shamelessly uses animations and enemies from 4 with no memorable moments.

I learned not to think of any RE game after 4 as a RE game, and I found them "ok" at best, except that I loved RE6 gameplay, one of my favorite mechanics in a game.

I don't really like playing co-op....mostly just in games for the SP experience.

I'll give it a look if it comes to PS4, I guess.

5 has single player. I did the whole game a bunch of times SP, and despite what people say, the AI is fine. It takes care of itself well enough (outside the hardest setting obviously where player decisions matter more than AI coding). Heck some parts are easier/fast with the AI cause it just does what it needs to do and comes back no hassle.

Either way I like 5 more simply cause it ties up the old RE storyline. Also U-8 and Lickers... lots of Lickers.

Once again, the extra modes are super fun as well.

Completed the game with Jill and now I'm playing with Chris. Wow playing as Chris is so boring and just not that fun. There's no Barry, even less inventory slots, no lockpick....

And I think I'm stuck : (

As Chris
I encountered the zombie/mutant plant and I can't create the poison. As Jill I could do this but Chris can't ?
What now ?

Help ?

Dai101

Banned
Completed the game with Jill and now I'm playing with Chris. Wow playing as Chris is so boring and just not that fun. There's no Barry, even less inventory slots, no lockpick....

And I think I'm stuck : (

As Chris
I encountered the zombie/mutant plant and I can't create the poison. As Jill I could do this but Chris can't ?
What now ?

Help ?

Shot her death.

Been a long time fan of the franchise and RE5 is fantastic as an action game. It's so damn enjoyable, probably my most replayed game from start to finish... Weird, I know.

The dark-horror atmosphere was very much lacking, which is IMO the game's biggest fault.

Neff

No. A lot of folks criticise it due to it largely abandoning much of RE's traditional motifs and aesthetics in favour of pure action and the desolate African setting, but it's also largely regarded as one of the most enjoyed co-op games of last generation, in addition to being the best-selling Capcom game ever, initially carried by the RE brand, but given great legs by good word of mouth.

It's a really, really good game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
t5ZlhF8.png

Erm?...

You see guys, RE4 is true survival horror.

Jawmuncher

No. A lot of folks criticise it due to it largely abandoning much of RE's traditional motifs and aesthetics in favour of pure action and the desolate African setting, but it's also largely regarded as one of the most enjoyed co-op games of last generation, in addition to being the best-selling Capcom game ever, initially carried by the RE brand, but given great legs by good word of mouth.

It's a really, really good game.

Yeah the RE5 hate was always kind of odd.
Compared to RE6 which while still good to me, is obvious to see why many dislike it.

Dai101

Banned
No. A lot of folks criticise it due to it largely abandoning much of RE's traditional motifs and aesthetics in favour of pure action and the desolate African setting.

You can say the same for RE4 and people cream their panties for that game. I just don't get the RE5 hate.

Played through the residence section today and had so much fun.
Revisiting this game has been fantastic.
Went to fight the
plant
armed to my teeth and then
in comes Barry and kills it with the flame-thrower
, felt like an idiot lol, I completely forgot that could happen.

It can't be said enough, door skip mod is a godsend.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil 5 is my most-replayed game ever, bar none. I spent an entire summer playing it front to back, side to side. I beat it with both characters multiple times, on various difficulties, collected every collectible there is to collect, S ranked the entire thing, etc etc.

RE5 improves on most of the mechanics from RE4. The shooting is a lot more satisfying, enemies react to various types of body shots, the melee system is easier to wrap your head around, and the levels are pretty well designed for co-op-ness.

I personally love this game. Just talking about the game makes me want to get it on PC to play it in 1080p60. Definitely check the game out if you haven't played it yet.

Played through the residence section today and had so much fun.
Revisiting this game has been fantastic.
Went to fight the
plant
armed to my teeth and then
in comes Barry and kills it with the flame-thrower
, felt like an idiot lol, I completely forgot that could happen.

It can't be said enough, door skip mod is a godsend.

Same lol I was stacked to the roof with grenade launcher, incendiary rounds, shotgun, first aid spray. didnt even fire a shot

Neff

You can say the same for RE4 and people cream their panties for that game. I just don't get the RE5 hate.

I think RE4 adheres to more traditional RE elements than 5 does, such as the night-time gothic settings, eccentric puzzles and rewards for exploring or backtracking. RE5 eschews much of RE4's characteristics as a means of streamlining its co-op experience.

If RE4 was a grand departure, RE5 is far from home, but no lesser for it imo.

I personally love this game. Just talking about the game makes me want to get it on PC to play it in 1080p60. Definitely check the game out if you haven't played it yet.

I'm really hoping for PS4/XO ports of RE4/5/6 myself.

ZeroCDR

I love RE5, it's fairly short but still has that great RE4 gameplay, doesn't overstay its welcome and has a more fulfilling plot. RE4 has better level design and atmosphere, but it really does drag on longer than it should. RE5 is so much easier to replay.

Grief.exe

I'm just glad the PC versions of those games exist, especially the port of 4. QLOC really polished up the product after release, combine that with the HD texture project and you have the best possible version.

Dai101

Banned
I think RE4 adheres to more traditional RE elements than 5 does, such as the night-time gothic settings, eccentric puzzles and rewards for exploring or backtracking. RE5 eschews much of RE4's characteristics as a means of streamlining its co-op experience.

If RE4 was a grand departure, RE5 is far from home, but no lesser for it imo.

What puzzles and backtracking? I mean, yeah, there's somehow puzzles but those are like grade school level. And the game is fairly lineal.

I love RE5, it's fairly short but still has that great RE4 gameplay, doesn't overstay its welcome and has a more fulfilling plot. RE4 has better level design and atmosphere, but it really does drag on longer than it should. RE5 is so much easier to replay.

Agree. I just have recently started to play RE5 and having a blast so far. RE4 really drags a lot.

Manu

Off-topic, but we really need a RE series OT for those of us who like all the games where we can discuss them without it turning into a hatefest.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
On Resident Evil 5, it's an amazing co-op game, but definitely an action title with a horror skin and not scary. It plays like RE4, a few changes such as the inventory system is gone and you can now quick-draw weapons and a bit more fluid movement controls and melee, though the game itself is not as good as RE4, but I say worth playing if the idea of a RE4-like game with co-op with a friend sounds appealing to you, it's actually a lot of fun. Mercenaries Mode is even better in my opinion as well than RE4, and RE5 has a ton of unlockables, a lot of them rather fun.

RE5 is getting patched very soon on PC to remove GFWL, hoping they add the Gold Edition DLC to it, Lost in Nightmares, Desperate Escape, and Mercenaries Reunion are some of my favorite parts to RE5.

ZeroCDR

Ohh yes, fingers crossed for the RE5 console DLC when the PC version gets updated!

Back on topic, I picked this up just before the pre-order closed on PS4 and I've barely had any time with it, but I'm excited to dive in this weekend and give it my best to try a knife-only Chris run!

I'm going to die. A lot.

jyoung188

RE5 is fucking awesome. When it was first announced the forced coop bummed me out until I actually played and the AI wasn't bad at all and I had a ton of fun playing the hell out of the single player.
Then, just in the past few months my wife has shown interest in playing games with me instead of just watching me play games like resident evil and last of us so she decided she wanted to try re5 coop with me. Since then we played through the campaign nearly 3 times until my PS3 died then I got the pc version with a splitscreen mod and we started over and we're nearly done with our second playthrough already and we're not even thinkig about slowing down, we're going to upgrade every weapon and try to get all s ranks. It's been the most fun I've ever had playing coop and its got my wife into modern gaming in a way I thought she never would. RE4 is my favorite sp game ever and RE5 is my favorite coop game ever.

Neff

What puzzles and backtracking? I mean, yeah, there's somehow puzzles but those are like grade school level. And the game is fairly lineal.

RE4 does at least have puzzles, even if they are easy (and they were easy in the old RE games if I'm being honest). RE5 has literally one puzzle.

RE4 features moments where the game loops around on itself to reveal new locales. It's essentially forced backtracking, but it's nonlinear in that you can always go back should you wish to, and for one example, backtracking after reuniting with Ashley in the castle reveals some good secrets you couldn't reach before. RE5 literally won't allow you to return to old areas, it's 100% forward-moving.

It's RE5's near and total abandonment of what remained of classic RE (aside from the story formula) in RE4 that led so many to dislike it. Personally, I think it's brilliant, but I can see where those wanting an overt RE experience were coming from.

Off-topic, but we really need a RE series OT for those of us who like all the games where we can discuss them without it turning into a hatefest.

Sadly, this might not be a bad idea.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm one of the crazies who think that RE6 is miles ahead of bland-ass RE5. Only good thing about that game was Sheva.

PS. I like RE5 too. I like all REs basically. Just that RE5 is my least favorite.

Mr_Zombie

I love RE5, but yeah, the game is flawed. One thing I really dislike about it is the level design. Whereas in RE4 you could see the natural flow between locations (and you could even backtrack, as Neff said), in RE5 you're forced to constantly move forward (and very often jump from one distant location to another) and each level looks as if it was build from Mercenaries-like stages.

I also can't believe that Capcom didn't utilize the co-op aspect of the game in puzzles. There's only one puzzle in the game and it's basically a single player one because if you don't order Sheva to stay in one place she can be easily killed by the laser. It works if you play alone, but if you play in co-op the second player has to stand and literally do nothing for the whole section.

Like that puzzle where you combine two items found literally right next to the locked door you need to insert it into? That's a real mindbender.

Nah, RE4 has few real puzzles like the one with colored lights in the church, with symbols in the cemetery, the sliding puzzle in Ashley's section of the game, the one with paintings in the castle (you rotate paintings to get a certain number out of them) etc.

I'm scared to see my play time in this game. Some of the puzzles have left me stumped for hours on end. I spent an hour in the
residence room with the spiders looking at those oil lamps
before I moved on and eventually found out they are for that
door code near the plant room

Like, I just finished finished up in the mansion and I'm already probably pushing 12+ hours. God damn

Having played about halfway through Chris' campaign on real survivor, I can say in comparison Jill's campaign sucks.

The concept of survival really hammers in more strongly in Chris' campaign. No lock pick, limited inventory slots, fewer ammo pick ups, Barry not babysitting your ass with more ammo than Rambo can carry through the early parts.

It almost seems as if Chris' campaign is what Mikami originally wanted, but pressure from higher ups worried the game would be too hard asked to him to use Jill's campaign as a pseudo-easy mode.

Fuck it, I'll say it. I'm gonna say it. Right here right now:

If you haven't played Chris' campaign on normal or higher....than you haven't played Resident Evil Remake.

Bam, mic drop and stuff.

Having played about halfway through Chris' campaign on real survivor, I can say in comparison Jill's campaign sucks.

The concept of survival really hammers in more strongly in Chris' campaign. No lock pick, limited inventory slots, fewer ammo pick ups, Barry not babysitting your ass with more ammo than Rambo can carry through the early parts.

It almost seems as if Chris' campaign is what Mikami originally wanted, but pressure from higher ups worried the game would be too hard asked to him to use Jill's campaign as a pseudo-easy mode.

Fuck it, I'll say it. I'm gonna say it. Right here right now:

If you haven't played Chris' campaign on normal or higher....than you haven't played Resident Evil Remake.

Bam, mic drop and stuff.

This is a hilarious contrast to your other post about playing Chris on hard but I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I'm finishing up Jill on Very Easy (don't make fun of me :p I just want to finish the game at least once) before I move on to Chris - Normal.

Can't fucking wait to experience the true RE.

Manu

Funny, when I played the PS1 version I only ever beat it with Chris.

Jill died way too easily whenever I tried to play with her.

Top Bottom