• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Wasn't the hunter's leaping one-hit kill move a decapitation in the original? Happened to me yesterday but Jill's head was still firmly attached.

Jawmuncher

In terms of calendar sure, but it was horror for 1, 2, 3, RE:0, CVX, and if you include RE4 then that's 6 unique games of survival horror for the mainline.

It's only been true "action" for RE5 and 6.

You and me both know RE4 being lumped with the older games isn't right.
Since it was action especially later on.

Is it a bad idea for me to restart my play through if I've burned through 10 saves and I haven't reached the first boss yet? I think I can be a lot more efficient on a replay. I fired a ton of bullets and now realize I can get away with just running away most of the time.

I dunno man - you're supposed to experience it as a resource limited, stressful scenario. Replaying it to be more efficient sort of defeats the purpose.

I've played it many times and I still walk away from encounters saying I could have done it better. Part of the fun, and the reason you come back. I say keep going

Dai101

Banned
Wasn't the hunter's leaping one-hit kill move a decapitation in the original? Happened to me yesterday but Jill's head was still firmly attached.

It was. Oddly they removed those in this game. I guess it was too graphic to show that in Hi-res and not in box like characters in the PSX.

Dai101

Banned
I'm positive decapitation was in the GC version. I don't know why they would remove it from this one

I could've sworn there was decapitation in the original GameCube release, too. Someone correct me if wrong. D:

Somehow I remember this too. I feel like I got Ms. Valentine's head lopped off back in the day.

I'm truly 100% sure it wasn't, there was blood, a lot but your character head was still intact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6SN_hZM7E#t=159

LUXURY

While I agree that it'd be neat to see a game like REmake be made today, it's really unfair to call the new games generic. We live in a world where most shooters end up having very similar gameplay (usually it's all about shooting enemies in the head, or hiding behind cover). I love how RE4, 5, and 6 instead are all about intricate melee systems. I think they lean more towards being action games than shooters.

Also, I'd say Capcom milked the series to death back in the day. RE1, 2, 3, REmake, 0, and Code Veronica all use extremely similar gameplay mechanics. The only big difference between them was the level design and puzzle design. I think that's a reason why RE4 was such a drastic change in gameplay style. Reviews and sales were reflecting how overused the formula had become.

I wouldn't be opposed to them going back to the style now, but it doesn't make any sense. REmaster proves that a lot of people just can't handle this style of gameplay, and if they went back, I think we'd see all the new RE fans complain about how they've completely switched gameplay style from action.

Pretty much. People don't really to have to actually think for themselves and put in effort with games anymore. They would much rather have blip on a screen tell them where key items, weapons, and other valuables are and that is kinda sad. I would love for them to abandon the directions of 5,6 and even 4 and return to this style but it will not happen. The risks involved for them is simply too large to overlook. They may incorporate some old styles and ideas but they will never full on create another title like this. I feel like if they took the series back to this formula, it would further cripple the franchises standing honestly. People are too used to just pointing a gun and shooting, running for cover and doing the same. I can't imagine ANY of my current friends showing any interest in this title because of how much effort you actually have to have to progress and actually survive. First thing they also ask is 'is it coop.'

Lothar

Banned
There is no longer survival game because it does not sell. Not the other way around. We are talking business here. There is no point for game company not to push horror game out if it still sell.

No one knows if it sells or not because no one tries it. There was no point to Resident Evil moving from horror to begin with. Resident Evil Remake sold almost as much on GC as RE4 did, and RE4 was a brand new entry in the series. Remake was just a remake. That's why I didn't originally buy it. I didn't realize how completely different it was.

And third best selling game of A month doesn't prove AAA title budget dude.

Evil Within was a success and it was a brand new IP and it wasn't even that highly reviewed. Of course if a established series like Resident Evil had another Survival Horror game, it would be many times those Evil Within numbers.

Uh yes? you can still see the head attached to the body.

??

ibuQUzLUXdNSJc.png

So are we sure they removed the decapitation from this version then?

Kind of a shame as that means it's not really the "definitive" version since it's censored.

televator

Started playing on hard. It's been a while since since I last played and I'm having a hard time remembering things in order. I outran a crimson earlier and I have to go back In the room I lost him in... Kinda sweating it right now. God damn this game still has it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.
We all know it's coming, it's only a matter of when.
There was no way the put all that work on the PC version for ONLY PC.

I think the "errmmm" is referring to the fact the article is solely talking about the REmaster but the screenshots they used are from RE4. Probably just a mistake.

Akibared

So are we sure they removed the decapitation from this version then?

Kind of a shame as that means it's not really the "definitive" version since it's censored.

Reading the comments someone said it didn't make it into the full game.

I think the Dr. Salvador chainsaw decapitation in RE4 was gone in the recent PC port, too.

I remember showing the PC version to my buddies and I'm pretty sure that didn't change.

Dai101

Banned
Did you watch the video I just posted above?

At 1:10 it is most definitely gone.

Are you blind? Head is clearly off.

You should probably rewatch it then, because it is most definitely gone.

I didn't watched until it was already posted and i was thinking you where talking about the video i posted. Again, is from a trailer pre-release. That didn't made it in the final game.

Watch the video i posted.

Neff

Anyone's else left stick too sensitive?

Like gun twitches up and down while trying to turn while aiming for better shots. Annoying.

PS3 version.

Maybe it's just mine but I don't remember aim being so sensitive on GameCube.

If you're using the classic control method, d-pad is the way to go rather than stick, trust me.

Curufinwe

LMFAOOOOOO. Wrong photos and all. But this would not even surprise me, another Resident Evil 4 port. I won't double dip for this though.

I will buy RE 4 for the PS4 if it's 1080p 60fps and they redo the trophies to make them varied, plentiful and interesting.

Otherwise, I'm good with just the GC, PS2, Wii, 360, and PC versions.

Top Bottom