• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Funny, when I played the PS1 version I only ever beat it with Chris.

Jill died way too easily whenever I tried to play with her.

lol i remember my first experience on PS1 was going in with a knife and encountering that first zombie. bit me a couple times and i died. i dont think i touched the game for a long time after that

This is a hilarious contrast to your other post about playing Chris on hard but I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I'm finishing up Jill on Very Easy (don't make fun of me :p I just want to finish the game at least once) before I move on to Chris - Normal.

Can't fucking wait to experience the true RE.

Chris' mode is a lot of fun. Using the expertise you've built from Jill's campaign will make the challenge of Chris' mode to be something appreciated.

You know Chris has limited inventory slots, so you'll pack a full clip handgun with a key, and maybe a puzzle item and venture forth. Fuck healing items, you ain't got room for that son. Also Chris naturally carries a lighter, so burning zombies becomes easier. But it balances it out because Chris gets the shotgun later and has more limited ammo. Nor does he get the grenade launcher at that point. So whereas Jill could dispatch crimson heads with shotgun blasts relatively easy, Chris can't. But since Chris has a lighter that doesn't take inventory room, it's easier for him to light the dead bodies.

Also, Chris has more health, so it's okay to get bit, push a zombie off and move on without wasting bullets on it.

Chris' mode is a lot of fun. Using the expertise you've built from Jill's campaign will make the challenge of Chris' mode to be something appreciated.

You know Chris has limited inventory slots, so you'll pack a full clip handgun with a key, and maybe a puzzle item and venture forth. Fuck healing items, you ain't got room for that son. Also Chris naturally carries a lighter, so burning zombies becomes easier. But it balances it out because Chris gets the shotgun later and has more limited ammo. Nor does he get the grenade launcher at that point. So whereas Jill could dispatch crimson heads with shotgun blasts relatively easy, Chris can't. But since Chris has a lighter that doesn't take inventory room, it's easier for him to light the dead bodies.

Also, Chris has more health, so it's okay to get bit, push a zombie off and move on without wasting bullets on it.

This sounds so good. I am almost at the labs so I should be finished my first run tonight and starting with Chris this weekend. What types of unlocks do you get after your first playthrough?

Liamc723

So I'd like to go for the trophy that requires you to complete the game in under 3 hours.

. Is there an easy to follow guide that I can follow?

. Does going to the pause screen affect the timer?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There is no longer survival game because it does not sell Not the other way around. We are talking business here. There is no point for game company not to push horror game out if it still sell.

And third best selling game of A month doesn't prove AAA title budget dude.

RE is the best chance for horror game to get AAA budget. In business man world, declining of old school RE only translate into nobody buy horror game (even though there are other factors that play the role). And since RE have been transformed into action shooter for almost 10 years, the horror market has also been dead.

Horror game is going the way of fighting and hard-core action. It's no different..

Thats bollocks, people say that based on Capcoms decision to make RE4 more action after they released REmake on the lowest selling console of that generation after over 20 million gamers which included RE fanbase had got a PS2, it's not surprising only a handful of people bought a GCN for it, and what else has there been?
Silent Hill died on the PS2 because Team Silent disbanded not because of Sales, the last few SH games sold bad because they're shit and RE sells now because of it's name and because it's available on multiple platform not because Chris can punch boulders.
I like the RE games but I'll be honest, playing Resident Evil Remaster is kinda breaking my heart.
Luckily horror this gen seems to be coming back in a big way.

So I'd like to go for the trophy that requires you to complete the game in under 3 hours.

Yes. Pausing takes time. Because people would abuse it. Pause the game, collect your thoughts / look at a guide / look at youtube and then unpause. It's all gotta be streamed live from your brain.

But you can do it on very easy mode though. Also, I recommend you save one or two times and crucial areas that involve one hit kills.

Finishing the game once though, you'll understand how finishing it in 3 hours is so very doable. It's like solving the same math problem you already just solved. You'll finish it immensely faster.

K' Dash

My God, I just came home from a trip, boot this up and don't remember shit from this game, the fuck? 10 years ago I could have finished with my eyes closed :/

This sounds so good. I am almost at the labs so I should be finished my first run tonight and starting with Chris this weekend. What types of unlocks do you get after your first playthrough?

You unlock real survivor mode. You unlock hard mode. You unlock extra costumes. Also depending on your completion time (if under 5 hours) you unlock new weapons like the Samurai Edge.

Question - does the Samurai Edge deal more damage than a regular weapon?

I'm thinking of using the Sam.Edge to help me beat Hard mode with Jill.

Banana, I suggest playing Chris on Real Survivor. It's a bit easier than Chris on Hard mode, but harder than Chris on normal mode.

You unlock real survivor mode. You unlock hard mode. You unlock extra costumes. Also depending on your completion time (if under 5 hours) you unlock new weapons like the Samurai Edge.

I'm thinking of using the Sam.Edge to help me beat Hard mode with Jill.

Banana, I suggest playing Chris on Real Survivor. It's a bit easier than Chris on Hard mode, but harder than Chris on normal mode.

Oh wait, what? Real Survivor is easier than Hard?

What's the difference?

Dai101

Banned

- Probably. Fuck guides tho'. Just few tips.

• Avoid as much enemies as you can
  • *Don't waste ammo, dodge them.
    You can skip the Yawn the first time, just go straight for the mask and exit the room
  • Run without guns, un-equip them until you really need them
  • Memorize where everything is and plan your routes

- Pausing doesn't stop the timer. Time runs at every moment, except doors.

More than the beretta yes. But less, way less, than the
Colt Python

Liamc723

Yes. Pausing takes time. Because people would abuse it. Pause the game, collect your thoughts / look at a guide / look at youtube and then unpause. It's all gotta be streamed live from your brain.

But you can do it on very easy mode though. Also, I recommend you save one or two times and crucial areas that involve one hit kills.

Finishing the game once though, you'll understand how finishing it in 3 hours is so very doable. It's like solving the same math problem you already just solved. You'll finish it immensely faster.

Okay, I think I might take a look at some speedruns, write down some time saving tips and then go!

Yeah, I finished my first playthrough in exactly 7 hours and I think I could cut that time down immensely.

Oh wait, what? Real Survivor is easier than Hard?

What's the difference?

On Real Survivor, you can't auto aim. So you can't do the auto aim trick to determine where enemies are or if they are dead or not on the ground. So you have to manually aim.

Ammo and health pick ups are rarer. And inventory management is more important, since inventory boxes hold items unique to that box itself. So planning is crucial.

But I think it's easier than hard mode because in Hard Mode Chris dies after get bit 2 or 3 times.

Whereas in Real Survivor Chris dies on the 4th bite. Not the 3rd from a regular zombie as it is in Hard Mode.

On Real Survivor, you can't auto aim. So you can't do the auto aim trick to determine where enemies are or if they are dead or not on the ground. So you have to manually aim.

Ammo and health pick ups are rarer. And inventory management is more important, since inventory boxes hold items unique to that box itself. So planning is crucial.

But I think it's easier than hard mode because in Hard Mode Chris dies after get bit 2 or 3 times.

Whereas in Real Survivor Chris dies on the 4th bite. Not the 3rd from a regular zombie as it is in Hard Mode.

Oh man that inventory box thing sounds like a pain in the ass, haha. But I like that you can take more hits...hmm...decisions....

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Having played about halfway through Chris' campaign on real survivor, I can say in comparison Jill's campaign sucks.

The concept of survival really hammers in more strongly in Chris' campaign. No lock pick, limited inventory slots, fewer ammo pick ups, Barry not babysitting your ass with more ammo than Rambo can carry through the early parts.

It almost seems as if Chris' campaign is what Mikami originally wanted, but pressure from higher ups worried the game would be too hard asked to him to use Jill's campaign as a pseudo-easy mode.

Fuck it, I'll say it. I'm gonna say it. Right here right now:

If you haven't played Chris' campaign on normal or higher....than you haven't played Resident Evil Remake.

Bam, mic drop and stuff.

I don't find real survival mode to be very much fun outside of a personal challenge just to say that 'i did it,' and it kind of seems crazy to me that you're playing that mode first - but you're absolutely right about Chris' campaign being the 'real' game.

His limited inventory and reliance on old keys forces him into more interesting situations and routes that Jill doesn't need to deal with, and Rebecca won't solve puzzles or kill bosses for you like Barry. You have to learn to use the knife and dodge properly to make it though. I'd often carry only a single weapon with no extra ammo just in case I'm actually forced to shoot something.

Also Jill's campaign wasn't really a 'pseudo-easy' mode, it WAS easy mode. The original PSX Biohazard stated as much on the selection screen. :p

It's always disappointing when I see every video review, playthrough and streamer playing exclusively as Jill because they're really missing out.

HeelPower

Much prefer playing Jill.

Chris has reduced slot items,more keys to fetch(YAY!) and no Barry.

My second playthrough will be BSAA Jill.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Much prefer playing Jill.

Chris has reduced slot items,more keys to fetch(YAY!) and no Barry.

My second playthrough will be BSAA Jill.

If you have a vague idea of what items you need in a given area and know your way around with a knife, you'd be surprised just how little difference 2 inventory slots actually make.

Barry is just a babysitter that gives you the option of choosing which puzzles or fights you want to skip.

HeelPower

If you have a vague idea of what items you need in a given area and know your way around with a knife, you'd be surprised just how little difference 2 inventory slots actually make.

Barry is just a babysitter that gives you the option of choosing which puzzles or fights you want to skip.

I started my playthrough on Normal.(first one was hiking difficulty=easy)

There is an overwhelming amount of zombies and chris is making things worse with his extra running to and fro.

Maybe I am a noob ,but I amnot feeling chris.

The nostalgia factor with REmaster is such a killer. I can't believe it's been over a decade since the GameCube REmake. Here's hoping that the old and new school of RE fans hand over their dollars and convince Capcom that RE2 deserves the same treatment.

Gotta say I feel both sides on the RE5 debate. For me, it's a fun game that built on what RE4 started, but all things considered its flaws were harder to forgive. The co-op aspect killed the scare factor for me, and the shift in setting failed to recreate the eccentric, if not bizarre, charm of RE4.

RE4 came off like a dark fairytale. RE5 felt more like science fiction. That a silly character like The Merchant made damn good sense in RE4 says a lot about what made that game special.

AEREC

Seems like an awesome game to speed run due to the no pausing and tank controls, though there should be a separate leaderboard for the different controls.

I played this for about 90 minutes on Tuesday night and have had such a busy week that I haven't had a chance to even touch it since then.

When I get home tonight it's slippers, pizza and REmake, baby.

Rean

Just got to the part where
the 4 zombies bust though the windows.

1319738930_homer_simpson_hides_in_hedge.gif

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Off-topic, but we really need a RE series OT for those of us who like all the games where we can discuss them without it turning into a hatefest.

+1

I think this is a great idea. There's a Halo OT in the Community section, along with a Kingdom Hearts OT. I don't see why Resident Evil can't get its own Community OT. I generally look forward to RE game releases because the GAF community solidifies around that game's OT (the RE6 OT was tons of fun to participate in).

+1

I think this is a great idea. There's a Halo OT in the Community section, along with a Kingdom Hearts OT. I don't see why Resident Evil can't get its own Community OT. I generally look forward to RE game releases because the GAF community solidifies around that game's OT (the RE6 OT was tons of fun to participate in).

Someone should make it please.

I'd love somewhere to talk about my love for RE Outbreak on PS2 :D

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just did my first ever speedrun, ended up with a very respectable (imo) 2 hours and 16 minutes as Jill on Normal.

My first 2 or 3 attempts I ate it almost immediately from random zombie nonsense. Like, within the first 10 minutes, so it wasn't that bad. My actual run was deathless, but I saved four times to be safe. I had a speedrun walkthrough open on another monitor that I was basically just reading along as I was playing, during door openings and stuff.

I recommend it if you've beaten the game once or twice, it's not as hard as it may seem after the first time, but having the layout of the game be fresh in your mind helps.

Seyavesh

+1

there was a RE OT in the community section but it died very quickly iirc

also lol i forgot about the entire second half of the game apparently. the mansion really is the standout area of the game

Miguel81

I nominate Nemesis to do it if he's not too busy since he'd make the OP nice.
I can put something together if we REALLY need something and no one else wants to do it, but i'm not the best at making a very nice OP. My Dino Crisis Anniversary and Amiibo Discussion is about as good as my skills will be.

Just checked out the Dino Crisis Anniversary one and it looks perfectly fine. I missed that thread and didn't pay tribute :(

Edit: I see there is an existing OT thread.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Gotta say I feel both sides on the RE5 debate. For me, it's a fun game that built on what RE4 started, but all things considered its flaws were harder to forgive. The co-op aspect killed the scare factor for me, and the shift in setting failed to recreate the eccentric, if not bizarre, charm of RE4.

RE4 came off like a dark fairytale. RE5 felt more like science fiction. That a silly character like The Merchant made damn good sense in RE4 says a lot about what made that game special.

I think the biggest issue with bio5 is that it completely lacked the sense of suspense and buildup that every other game exhibited, from 1 to 4. There were no locations or bosses that just 'came out of nowhere' in the old games, everything was hinted at beforehand, often long beforehand. You always knew a new boss or monster was coming because of something you read in a file or clues in the environment. Notes describing plant42 and how to kill it, or the janitor's diary talking about the alligator in the sewer in 2, Richard and the snake bite, or 4's 'it.' It was scary because you expect something. Bio5 often dumps bosses on you with no prior buildup: congrats on fighting through this quarry, now we'll literally deliver a random bat/scorpion boss to you by truck. Surprise! After a lengthy turret sequence, El Gigante out of nowhere! Bet you didn't expect that! The only time I think 5 actually took the time to build up to a boss was the first uroboros fight.

Same with the environments, you could often see or read about future locations long before you actually visited them. Seeing the castle or island off in the distance in 4, the constant references to the factory or clock tower in 3, and so on. Not only that, but the way they wouldn't just force you to return to old locations later on, but they would always be altered or changed somewhat to play with your familiarity using newly accessible areas, different times of day, and different enemy types and layouts. 5 (and 6) had none of that. They're just constant forward progression along a linear path without giving you a chance to become familiar with any given location let alone use that familiarity against you.

Those were the hallmarks of the series for me, and everything after 4 forgot all about these things while everyone was arguing about controls and accessibility. To me this is the real spirit of biohazard that the series lost.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think the biggest issue with bio5 is that it completely lacked the sense of suspense and buildup that every other game exhibited, from 1 to 4. There were no locations or bosses that just 'came out of nowhere' in the old games, everything was hinted at beforehand, often long beforehand. You always knew a new boss or monster was coming because of something you read in a file or clues in the environment. Notes describing plant42 and how to kill it, or the janitor's diary talking about the alligator in the sewer in 2, Richard and the snake bite, or 4's 'it.' It was scary because you expect something. Bio5 often dumps bosses on you with no prior buildup: congrats on fighting through this quarry, now we'll literally deliver a random bat/scorpion boss to you by truck. Surprise! After a lengthy turret sequence, El Gigante out of nowhere! Bet you didn't expect that! The only time I think 5 actually took the time to build up to a boss was the first uroboros fight.

Same with the environments, you could often see or read about future locations long before you actually visited them. Seeing the castle or island off in the distance in 4, the constant references to the factory or clock tower in 3, and so on. Not only that, but the way they wouldn't just force you to return to old locations later on, but they would always be altered or changed somewhat to play with your familiarity using newly accessible areas, different times of day, and different enemy types and layouts. 5 (and 6) had none of that. They're just constant forward progression along a linear path without giving you a chance to become familiar with any given location let alone use that familiarity against you.

Those were the hallmarks of the series for me, and everything after 4 forgot all about these things while everyone was arguing about controls and accessibility. To me this is the real spirit of biohazard that the series lost.

That first uroboros fight was one of my favorites, too. Wonder if that actually contributed to why.

Lothar

Banned
I only made it to chapter 3 of Resident Evil 5 where I was too bored to continue. Up to that point, it's like they weren't even trying to set mood. There was nothing even the slightest bit scary about the location. It was just boring. I'm guessing from the fan reaction that it did not get any better.

Top Bottom