• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Miguel81

This talk about RE5 is making me want to play it(to the end this time), but I'm still waiting for the Steamworks patch to see about this DLC business. Who knows, it might happen. From what I played of it, the game was very enjoyable and I loved the co-op(even with randoms). Both action Resi and horror Resi have their place, though I prefer the latter having grown up with them at their peak.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
After beating RE5 many, many, many times, I decided to go online and co-op with some random person. I think it was this guy's first time playing RE5 because he didn't realize that for the cutscenes when it said R1 + L1 that you had to press both those buttons together. We died over 10 times in a cutscene because he kept pressing one or the other. It was hilarious.

Jawmuncher

After beating RE5 many, many, many times, I decided to go online and co-op with some random person. I think it was this guy's first time playing RE5 because he didn't realize that for the cutscenes when it said R1 + L1 that you had to press both those buttons together. We died over 10 times in a cutscene because he kept pressing one or the other. It was hilarious.

It's amazing how active all the RE's stay.
I still find RE5 games which is cool.

Absolutely idiotic realization. I've been saying how I felt the game didn't really give you much direction.

It just dawned on me that, on the map, red rooms means you haven't gotten all of the items from it, and green rooms mean you have. Wow.

This makes me want to start over.

-MD-

Absolutely idiotic realization. I've been saying how I felt the game didn't really give you much direction.

It just dawned on me that, on the map, red rooms means you haven't gotten all of the items from it, and green rooms mean you have. Wow.

I think it even says that in big letters when the map is open.

8xNV0BW.jpg

Well, just picked up a PS4 today and bought the game again (I bought it on Xbox One when it came out but I got rid of the console). I've did my part. Now give me Resident Evil 2 HD Remaster, Resident Evil 3 HD Remaster, and Resident Evil 4 as originally intended thanks.

Bumhead

Banned
Just finished my first (re) run through the game.

Phenomenal experience as always. Just seeks to reaffirm why this is one of my favourite games of all time every time I play it.

I've never speed run it though, which I want to do now. I was going to do it with Jill on Very Easy. Good plan? Very Easy should be a pretty safe ride and I figure Jill having more inventory slots will be handy to reduce backtracking. Her route through the game is also the most fresh to me.

Also, do unlocked items work across characters and play throughs? So if I unlock a weapon as Jill, will Chris also have access to it? And can you use them in Survivor mode?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm debating picking up a six-pack of beer on my way home and spending the evening grappling with this game. I've got a pretty full day of drinking tomorrow though, so not sure if this is the best idea haha...

Astral

I just barely dodged the first Hunter's lunging attack after an hour without saving. I almost shit myself. Is it safe to assume I won't need the canteen anymore?

Shauni

I just learned that you can trigger the first zombie in the game to come out of that room by himself. You don't have to see the zombie cutscene where he's eating and turns his head. Wow. Both in the original and the remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi70UIFJthM

I remember hearing about this but never doing it myself. Super neat. But boy, it makes me realize how horribly most PS1 graphics have aged. The GCN one is still pretty good to look at, but Jesus at the fug of that PS1 version. Goddamn.

But I downloaded this yesterday. It's good fun to go through and rediscover everything. Kind of amazed how much stuff I've forgotten. It's like I couldn't recall a lot of stuff, though it eventually clicks and I'm like, "Oh yeah." Interesting feeling, feels almost fresh again.

Grief.exe

Well, just picked up a PS4 today and bought the game again (I bought it on Xbox One when it came out but I got rid of the console). I've did my part. Now give me Resident Evil 2 HD Remaster, Resident Evil 3 HD Remaster, and Resident Evil 4 as originally intended thanks.

I think you mean remake, not remaster as far as 2 and 3 are concerned.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished my first (re) run through the game.

Phenomenal experience as always. Just seeks to reaffirm why this is one of my favourite games of all time every time I play it.

I've never speed run it though, which I want to do now. I was going to do it with Jill on Very Easy. Good plan? Very Easy should be a pretty safe ride and I figure Jill having more inventory slots will be handy to reduce backtracking. Her route through the game is also the most fresh to me.

Also, do unlocked items work across characters and play throughs? So if I unlock a weapon as Jill, will Chris also have access to it? And can you use them in Survivor mode?

I think you need to play on Normal to unlock weapons. It's not bad though, I barely got hit (I posted near ttop with how I went about it). And yes, both Chris and Jill get the unlocks, not sure about True Survivor mode though (I'd guess no?). edit: nope, you don't get em on survivor mode.

ezekial45

Banned
I just have to ask; for those that finished it, did Capcom leave the Gamecube in the Laboratory section? The one you have to use the MO Disks on.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I just have to ask; for those that finished it, did Capcom leave the Gamecube in the Laboratory section? The one you have to use the MO Disks on.

Yup! Not sure if they're identical but I def went "those look a lot like gamecubes!"

That feel when you do a sub 3 hour speed run on Very Easy Invisible Enemy but don't unlock any weapons because you were supposed to do it on Normal.
Sigh. Well at least Invisible Enemy is out of the way.

HeelPower

Died a death that pissed me off so much with
Rebecca.

CARE TO SHOW A TIMER, GAME ?! HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW FAST TO GET THE
SERUM

Tecl0n

yess finally beat it with jill, took my sweet time but at least i got the every nook and cranny achievement out of the way. onto chris

-MD-

Watching my friend play this for the first time is hilarious. He's far more bold than I ever was with a knife.

Manu

Made some further progress today, saved after rescuing Rebecca and killing Yawn for good.

I just can't remember where to go now. I have a bunch of items, including the Wolf and Eagle medals.

Lothar

Banned
I remember hearing about this but never doing it myself. Super neat. But boy, it makes me realize how horribly most PS1 graphics have aged. The GCN one is still pretty good to look at, but Jesus at the fug of that PS1 version. Goddamn.

It's just first generation era 1996 playstation I believe. Resident Evil 3 still looks very good. FF9 and Chrono Cross of course look amazing. It's hard to believe they could share the same system as Resident Evil 1.

It's just first generation era 1996 playstation I believe. Resident Evil 3 still looks very good. FF9 and Chrono Cross of course look amazing. It's hard to believe they could share the same system as Resident Evil 1.

I was 12 when i first saw resident evil running on a playstation demo kiosk. It blew my mind.

I think I enjoy the charm of the PS1 version for that reason. I can't really understand how someone who never saw the PS1 version at the time sees it.

bumpkin

I played the original on the PSOne, but never got through REmake on the 'Cube or Wii... I always started it and lost my nerve, usually when I ended up with a Crimson Head running around a room of the mansion. Tonight I started my play-through on the PS4 using Jill. Decided to give it a whirl via Remote Play (on my Vita). Loving it! It looks sweet on 'dat OLED.

I found myself lost as far as my next move a few times, but got back on track. Sadly the "dog room" has both demon dogs running about whenever I end up having to go through there again. I was on a mission to get back to two zombies I killed so I could burn 'em before they turned; didn't have time for dog taming so I can for it.

...but now I know I'm gonna regret not putting them down when I had a chance.

I know there's zero chance of capcom of today investing the resources into it but finally getting an RE2 REmake would be so incredible. I would gladly pay $60 for it on a disc.

Maybe if Revelations 2 does well?

Jawmuncher

I know there's zero chance of capcom of today investing the resources into it but finally getting an RE2 REmake would be so incredible. I would gladly pay $60 for it on a disc.

Honestly the biggest factor I would think for it to be THIS style would be sales of this and Zero. However I think at some point a remake of 2 and 3 has to happen in some form.
Since they're the only 2 entries preventing a mainline collection at this point for all systems.

Nemesis_

I'd be happy to make a new OT later on down the track but I am a bit busy at the moment with the Revelations 2 OT, which you'll be able to see come February.

Currently grinding out Grenade, Burnt Bodies, and Headshots for the Xbox One challenges ._.

-MD-

Revelations 2 doing well will result in Revelations 3 or RE6-2.

Was this the case in the Gamecube version? If so then I've missed this for a long, long time. My only excuse is that I didn't need to look at the map as I'd played so much of the PSone version.

Still, I can't believe I missed this. I own the Wii version too.....

Revelations 2 doing well will result in Revelations 3 or RE6-2.

well both then - RE HD and Revelations.

It would honestly be a pretty huge budget undertaking for them and I just don't see modern capcom doing that without some significant kick in the ass.

The real question is - do you do it in the RE4/Revelations style or the PSX RE2 style?

I think even if they do one it'll be in third person camera style with aiming over the shoulder.

I don't see how you convince the budget people that you should spend so much money developing high resolution 3D assets just to put them into an old style 2D backgrounds game. Especially with RE4, 5, and Revelations 1 pointing to that being the current popular style.

-MD-

The real question is - do you do it in the RE4/Revelations style or the PSX RE2 style?

I think even if they do one it'll be in third person camera style with aiming over the shoulder.

If they're going to butcher them with an over the shoulder camera they shouldn't even bother, it'd be a completely different game.

When i was a kid, i always wondered, why can't they just bust the doors down instead of hunting for keys? Barry busted a door down?

I always wondered, why not just gather up some ammo, have rebecca draw the dogs to the front yard, and shoot them from the 2nd floor to clear them out, then run back to town for help.

The idea that a pack of zombie dogs was keeping them inside this mansion always felt weak to me.

Anyway, horror movie/game logic

This talk about RE5 is making me want to play it(to the end this time), but I'm still waiting for the Steamworks patch to see about this DLC business. Who knows, it might happen. From what I played of it, the game was very enjoyable and I loved the co-op(even with randoms). Both action Resi and horror Resi have their place, though I prefer the latter having grown up with them at their peak.

Same. I'm another that enjoys every era of resident evil (survival horror -> survival action -> balls out crazy) and I'm totally ready for another RE5 playthrough. I hope Capcom delivers on the Steamworks version with the console DLC finally.

HeelPower

I don't see how you convince the budget people that you should spend so much money developing high resolution 3D assets just to put them into an old style 2D backgrounds game. Especially with RE4, 5, and Revelations 1 pointing to that being the current popular style.

You can convince them if RE1 HD sells a couple million which is not happening.

I mean look at this thread on GAF.It has only 3.5K replies consisting mainly of repeated posters which is pretty low by GAF-hype standards.

It implies not a lot of people bought this remaster despite the love this game commonly(deservedly) gets and despite the asking price being relatively low at $20.

Top Bottom