• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

so whats the best way to go about getting the under 2 hour run?

because there is no pausing is it best just to keep a checklist on a tablet or something?

Im surprised how poor some of the textures are at times for the actual modeled elements. The room where you get the fake key has some really grungy textures on those armored knights.

The character models for Chris aren't quite as good looking as I remember either. They look like pretty typical PS2 era character models.

RE-on-PS1 purist here playing this for the first time. It's quite a shock dealing with all of the changes. Pretty sure I'm going to have to start over soon.

Going back to the PS1 RE after playing REmake was hard for me. Not because of the graphics, but because the layout of the mansion just felt wrong. It's weird because I've played the original to death.

image.php

It's funny because the statue literally says yellow and blue >_>

protonion

I want to join the party since everyone is having fun!

I still have the GC version. Which of the two has less blurry backgrounds?

GC version via Wii/component/hdtv or PS4?

Xtyle

I want to join the party since everyone is having fun!

I still have the GC version. Which of the two has less blurry backgrounds?

GC version via Wii/component/hdtv or PS4?

Definitely GC version is more blurry if you are playing on HD TV.
However, I have started noticing that some locations in the HD version have really crappy textures...basically they can look like low res textures with some sharpening filter applied and it is very noticeable. Though there are also many areas that look great...

protonion

Definitely GC version is more blurry if you are playing on HD TV.
However, I have started noticing that some locations in the HD version have really crappy textures...basically they can look like low res textures with some sharpening filter applied and it is very noticeable. Though there are also many areas that look great...

Thanks! PS4 it is then!

Doing my hard mode with Jill and man... second time seeing it and it still surprises me the Aqua Ring area did not get remade. I mean a freaking
shark tank in a mansion!?
how did it not get picked to be redone, I figured it would be at the top of the list. It's only a few rooms big but still it would have looked amazing.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I always wondered, why not just gather up some ammo, have rebecca draw the dogs to the front yard, and shoot them from the 2nd floor to clear them out, then run back to town for help.

The idea that a pack of zombie dogs was keeping them inside this mansion always felt weak to me.

Anyway, horror movie/game logic

What implied that there was only a single pack of dogs? You think they're going to run 8 miles through mountains and forests to get back to town? The problem is that they're all split up, they don't HAVE ammo, and they have no way of getting in touch with their pilot. They wouldn't leave anyway since their whole purpose is to rescue Bravo - besides the fact that Wesker doesn't WANT them to leave and probably sabotaged their radios and got them separated in the first place.

This is some 'why didn't they have the eagles drop the ring into mt doom' logic at work. :p

Rean

Quick Question:
Can the monster in the cabin that ambushes you be killed?
I put 7 shells and a magnum round in him and he kept getting up.

Cloudy

Banned
Wow, I got destroyed by the first zombie. I can't even aim right. I remember playing this game on sega saturn and being decent lol

I wish they'd worked on the camera somehow. The transitions are so jarring.

The classic costumes are better than the RE5 stuff IMO

Cubed

Love this so much.

I'm so glad I finally get to replay this. I've beaten it twice now and I'm itching for a third.

By the way... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT BOARD USED FOR?! It's not required for anything! It's the board on the table in the 2nd floor U-shaped hallway, right next to the door that leads to the hallway that'll put you in the ballroom with the walls that close in (basement access hole).

I was assuming since it has a piece of paper in it, with nothing on it, you can use the lighter to make a map with it... but forgot to try it. It's never used anywhere.

-MD-

Love this so much.

I'm so glad I finally get to replay this. I've beaten it twice now and I'm itching for a third.

By the way... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT BOARD USED FOR?! It's not required for anything! It's the board on the table in the 2nd floor U-shaped hallway, right next to the door that leads to the hallway that'll put you in the ballroom with the walls that close in (basement access hole).

I was assuming since it has a piece of paper in it, with nothing on it, you can use the lighter to make a map with it... but forgot to try it. It's never used anywhere.

fireplace

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That has bugged me for 13 years.

I'd Google it, but I was convinced I'd figure it out by myself... never did. After this last playthrough I said "screw it!" and decided to ask.

I never knew either. Even looking at a guide I still ran through the room multiple times.

KalBalboa

Banned
Remote playing this for the first time. Never played it on GameCube.

I love the crimsons- really cool way to liven up old rooms you've covered.

I always wondered, why not just gather up some ammo, have rebecca draw the dogs to the front yard, and shoot them from the 2nd floor to clear them out, then run back to town for help.

The idea that a pack of zombie dogs was keeping them inside this mansion always felt weak to me.

Anyway, horror movie/game logic

Yeah lol, if you consider everything they go through in the mansion, fighting a bunch of dogs is a walk in the park in comparison.

Facism

I know there's zero chance of capcom of today investing the resources into it but finally getting an RE2 REmake would be so incredible. I would gladly pay $60 for it on a disc.

Maybe if Revelations 2 does well?

My entire body would self-lubricate if we got a proper re2 remake.

Danielsan

Just finished the game with Chris on normal. Close to 7 hours and quite few saves used. Found myself lost and backtracking way too much a few times. Mostly bummed about
not saving Rebecca

Might return to the game at some point to do a Jill run.

Daffy Duck

I die a lot, but I don't care.

I love being soaked in the atmosphere. I came across four zombies when I got the sword key and just got overrun.

Randam

You can convince them if RE1 HD sells a couple million which is not happening.

I mean look at this thread on GAF.It has only 3.5K replies consisting mainly of repeated posters which is pretty low by GAF-hype standards.

It implies not a lot of people bought this remaster despite the love this game commonly(deservedly) gets and despite the asking price being relatively low at $20.
20 isn't that low.
And even at 10 I wouldn't have bought it.
I own the GameCube version.

Just sat down with it for the first time, played up until
the caverns
. Surprised I still remember everything pretty well. You can definitely see the upscaling a lot more in some areas than others. Certain parts of the aqua ring especially so, but they've done a pretty good job all around.

Is there any way to dodge
hunters
? I feel like i'm spending a lot of bullets on them.
Avoiding hunters is a lot easier than zombies. Just run through them.
Sometimes you might get scratched but at most times they miss or even don't do anything at all.
As long as you're running their leaping attack always misses (unless you're running into a wall ;)).

I only ever kill the hunters just outside the saveroom when you return to the mansion. They tend to lock you down on the stairs together.

ktroopa

How does this run on PS4? I cant decide wether to buy on PS4 or PC. Can see it for £8/9 on ebay for a steam key but with the 10% off PSN offer id rather have the PS4 version for multiple playthrus from the sofa. mmm..

what say you GAF?

How does this run on PS4? I cant decide wether to buy on PS4 or PC. Can see it for £8/9 on ebay for a steam key but with the 10% off PSN offer id rather have the PS4 version for multiple playthrus from the sofa. mmm..

what say you GAF?

The PC version runs much better if you have the hardware. The PS4 version runs fine, but it's capped at 30fps with some drops (mostly during screen transitions, which happened in the original game as well). Either is perfectly serviceable. I'd get both at that price, but I'm not smart with money. The potential for modding is also worth considering for the PC game, there's already quite a few skins and a door-skipping mod.

Truant

So are the fast dudes with claws the "crimson heads" I've been hearing so much about? They just started appearing, but they had no real introduction or setup in the game.

Edit: Also, is there no shark tank sequence in the game? I distinctly remember this area from the GCN version.

Scuderia

Never played REmake before (the original '96 version ruined my childhood), didn't realise it was so different to the original. Quite a few new areas and puzzles it seems, liking it so far though.

ktroopa

The PC version runs much better if you have the hardware. The PS4 version runs fine, but it's capped at 30fps with some drops (mostly during screen transitions, which happened in the original game as well). Either is perfectly serviceable. I'd get both at that price, but I'm not smart with money. The potential for modding is also worth considering for the PC game, there's already quite a few skins and a door-skipping mod.

yep im going to double dip. cheers :)

Mr_Zombie

So are the fast dudes with claws the "crimson heads" I've been hearing so much about? They just started appearing, but they had no real introduction or setup in the game.

They have a setup. You find a file describing them (and how to prevent their appearing) early in the game. This is RE1 way of introducing enemies. Many bosses and enemies are introduced either through files or by you seeing their victims long before you even meet them. I find that very effective; when I was playing the original RE1 I was dreading meeting Yawn (seeing that huge bite on Richard's chest) or Plant-42 (those files describing how huge it is, and how intelligent it became).

Bumhead

Banned
Finishing the game last night, I forgot how many nods to
Resident Evil 2
there are.

Specifically the mentions of Ada, and William Birkin's file about the G-Virus during the Tyrant fight.

Were they in the original?

Finishing the game last night, I forgot how many nods to
Resident Evil 2
there are.

Specifically the mentions of Ada, and William Birkin's file about the G-Virus during the Tyrant fight.

Were they in the original?

Ada is mentioned in the original, but not Birkin.

Mr_Zombie

"Ada" as a password was in the original game so it's RE2 that referenced RE1 (Annette: "Ada Wong? I’ve heard that name before. Now I remember. One of the men from Chicago came to assist the T-Virus research. He used his girlfriend’s name as his password, Ada and John i believe."), not the other way ;)

The file mentioning Birkin is new.

ivb_1973

Banned
Wow, this game is hard as fuck, one of the hardest survival horror I have played actually o_O
I'm on the chamber with the serum for the dying guy that's with Rebecca. I have no bullets, with a few crimson heads roaming the mansion and just when I started to learn how to make headshots, ¿it's advisable to restart the game?
But if it's still possible I will continue, the challenge is refreshing and a lot more unusual than what I thought.
Let's say that for the hardest difficulty of any of the first 2 Dead Space you need 10 bullets to kill all the enemies (or at least to make progress safely), then the game gives you 14 bullets. With that game, in normal mode, I have the felling that it gives you 4 bullets for the needed 10.

And I love it. Harder than any SH (whithout counting the first one, I haven't played it yet), Condemned, any Dead Space, Obscure, Amnesia, Penumbra, any Fatal Frame,.... actually harder than any survival horror I have played... fantastic hahaha

the game becomes a lot easier once you learn layouts, item placements and ways to approach enemies, yeah it will be tough for a new player but you will soon be breezing through.

The pistol should only be used if it's last resort, killing a zombie with the pistol without the luck of blowing their head off just means that zombie will come back stronger later on.

Good god, why is the download speed on PS4 so bad? I got this last night and have been going through a series of putting the system in rest mode, resetting my modem, screwing around with the DHP settings, etc. It's not my connection which is otherwise typically good, and other games seem to download a lot faster.

Curufinwe

Wow, this game is hard as fuck, one of the hardest survival horror I have played actually o_O
I'm on the chamber with the serum for the dying guy that's with Rebecca. I have no bullets, with a few crimson heads roaming the mansion and just when I started to learn how to make headshots, ¿it's advisable to restart the game?
But if it's still possible I will continue, the challenge is refreshing and a lot more unusual than what I thought.
Let's say that for the hardest difficulty of any of the first 2 Dead Space you need 10 bullets to kill all the enemies (or at least to make progress safely), then the game gives you 14 bullets. With that game, in normal mode, I have the felling that it gives you 4 bullets for the needed 10.

And I love it. Harder than any SH (whithout counting the first one, I haven't played it yet), Condemned, any Dead Space, Obscure, Amnesia, Penumbra, any Fatal Frame,.... actually harder than any survival horror I have played... fantastic hahaha

There's enough oil to burn the zombies you kill in the main areas so maybe restart and focus on not letting more Crimson heads than necessary appear.

Top Bottom