• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

So, I used the first MO disk at the lab and unlocked one of the three lever blocks. But I can't for the life of me figure out what it unlocks. I've checked the whole lab several times and can't find any unlocked doors.
The MO discs are used to unlock the
jail cells
that hold
Jill or Chris

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just finished my 1rst run with Jill and for some reason I'm not on the leaderboard T_T. Sure my time was awful (5h27) and it's full of hackers, but still...

Edit. NVM just takes time to update. Yay

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So, I used the first MO disk at the lab and unlocked one of the three lever blocks. But I can't for the life of me figure out what it unlocks. I've checked the whole lab several times and can't find any unlocked doors.

I'd like to give a slightly less spoilery answer than the one below.

The MO discs are used to unlock the
jail cells
that hold
Jill or Chris

You need to use all three MO disks to actually get the particular door that unlocks to unlock. Just using one MO disk opens nothing.

Would've been nice for them to give us normal difficulty levels instead of this hiking/mountain climbing shit. Only found out after my first playthrough that I'd been playing on easy, not normal, which explains the abundance of healing items and relative lack of zombies in certain areas. At least now I've gotten better at dodging zombies. Using modern controls, just run towards them then flick the stick back to make them lunge, then go around. Doesn't always work, but it's been fairly reliable for me so far.

Also, does that One Dangerous Zombie mode activate automatically after clearing the game on normal with both Chris and Jill? If so, is it a good idea to have both characters on separate save slots if I want to avoid playing with it enabled?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gosh, this is so much better than I remembered it. The way the mansion links together is just so great.

And the widescreen mode works really well I think.

I've noticed something about the retranslated dialogue in REmake. Take this conversation as an example.
This is how it goes in the PS1 version.

Jill: "Why do you have to destroy STARS?"

Wesker: "That's Umbrella's intention. This laboratory has been engaging in dangerous experiments and recently an accident has occured. Anyway, this disaster can not be made public."

Jill: "That's why having STARS nosing about is so inconvinient. So you're a slave of Umbrella now, along with these virus monsters."

Wesker: "I think you misunderstand me Jill, to me the monsters you mention mean nothing, I'm going to burn all of them together, along with this entire laboratory."

See how the one bolded line connects to the other? And this is the conversation in the REmake.

Jill: "Why eliminate STARS?"

Wesker: "Believe it or not, that's Umbrella's intention."

Jill: "You're just a slave of Umbrella."

Wesker: "Smart girl, but I think you misunderstand me. The 'Things' you mention are nothing. I burn all of them, along with this entire laboratory."

Now hold on Wesker, that doesn't make any sense here. This isn't the only part where the shortened dialogue in REmake causes issues like that. Pretty weird.

I'm sure this is all the translation's fault. Or was the japanese script also shortened like that?

I learned a lot from my first play with Jill on Very Easy.

Now I'm playing Chris on Normal, got a decent amount of ammo for my handgun, some green herbs for healing, the shotgun, 8 ink ribbons, and just got the dog whistle. Really loving the more limited inventory for him, forces me to often go without carrying a healing item and run a lot more. I'm also planning out my encounters more often, trying to do the dagger + headshot combo to get it back and running away from a lot more enemies. I burn the ones right outside save rooms and that's about it.

God this game is just perfect.

Gosh, this is so much better than I remembered it. The way the mansion links together is just so great.

I played widescreen on my first playthrough and now I'm playing 4:3 on my second one just for a change. They are both fantastic, the widescreen one is actually very well done even though losing some of the picture is unavoidable. Most of the backgrounds hold up surprisingly well under it too, save for a few that are clearly quite rough. I don't think you can go wrong with either option though.

Curufinwe

I thought I was playing on Normal with Jill but it turns out I accidentally selected Easy. So now I'm doing the Chris playthru on Normal and there are a lot more zombies.

MilkyJoe

Just started it myself, that zombie moan when you can't see it is still creepy as fuck. The new controls and widescreen make it much better (only played on ps1)

I thought I was playing on Normal with Jill but it turns out I accidentally selected Easy. So now I'm doing the Chris playthru on Normal and there are a lot more zombies.

Yeah I thought I selected Easy with Jill but I turned out selecting Very Easy lol. Was a total cakewalk. Also doing Chris on Normal now, it's really good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
What is all of your inventory loadout typically like?

When I played as Jill it started as Hangun, ammo, one health, then all the key items I could carry.
Eventually, it transitioned to Handgun, ammo, Shotgun, one health, one key (if I had one) and whatever key item I KNEW I needed at that moment.

By the very end the handgun was sitting in the storage and it was all shotgun and CP + one health

Anung

Un Rama
Attempt #2 of my 3 hour no save speed run is about to go under way. This time I'll remember to unequipped the grenade launcher when I grab the fuel cell.

Wish me luck!

Never played RE1-3 or REmake or 0 or anything before RE4 before and somehow, aside from some enemies and the basic plot, I know very little about the first Resident Evil. So going into this relatively blind has been great. Only issue I have is that moving can be confusing when moving through screens.

I wonder how much it would cost to make a fixed camera angle game with beautiful prerendered backgrounds and character models like this today. I'd love to see more of it.

Uthred

Now hold on Wesker, that doesn't make any sense here. This isn't the only part where the shortened dialogue in REmake causes issues like that. Pretty weird.

I'm sure this is all the translation's fault. Or was the japanese script also shortened like that?

Hmm pretty sure your second quote is wrong, it was early this morning when I played that section but Im fairly certain Jill says "Youre a slave of umbrella just like those things"

What is all of your inventory loadout typically like?

When I played as Jill it started as Hangun, ammo, one health, then all the key items I could carry.
Eventually, it transitioned to Handgun, ammo, Shotgun, one health, one key (if I had one) and whatever key item I KNEW I needed at that moment.

By the very end the handgun was sitting in the storage and it was all shotgun and CP + one health

I usually roll with just a shotgun and one clip early on, since I avoid almost all enemies. By end game I'm swimming in ammo :p

I also carry one healing item just in case, and the key items I know (or though I remembered correctly) to bring. I haven't played in about 6 years so yea.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man this game is kicking my ass hard. I've put some hours in but I'm not far at all. First playthrough and I've gone for normal with Jill.

My main issue is I can't dodge zombies for shit so I ended up blowing at lot of ammo and creating crimson heads for the first hour or so. I see people being able to sort of step towards the bastards and then step back before running around them. Trying this has resulted in quite a few deaths. Even switching to the alternate controls, I still suck.

I'm considering starting again on easy but that feels like admitting defeat and I do love the tension so far. Anyone got any tips?

If you're finding it really difficult to make any progress the best advice I can give you is to start again on Easy or play with alternate controls. I don't know how to do the "juke" that most people are talking about so what I try to do is stand on one side of a hallway and let the zombie saunter over, then quickly run around the other side of them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (the hallway just off the dining room, for example, is too narrow to pull this off).

If you're enjoying the tension on Normal then by all means continue playing; as long as you make it further and further in each subsequent try then you'll beat the game eventually. If you're worried about "admitting defeat" then just swallow your damn ego and play on Easy; no one is judging you. You can always go back and play the game again on Normal or Hard once you're done with your first playthrough.

Anyway, I finally have some time today to really dig into the game considering I've been super tired to play this after work, and I just got the armor key. I've been going through the game pretty methodically, and as it turns out I remember quite a bit about the mansion itself from the GC version that I played way back in the day. Unfortunately I don't think I remember anything past getting the armor key, so I'm entering the portion of the game that is going to be completely new to me. Exciting stuff. :)

I've been pretty efficient so far. I've only used my kerosene once to burn the two zombies near
the first save room,
who I managed to kill one right on top of the other with the handgun. I also killed the
crimson head in the hallway where you find the arrowhead, and decapitated the fat zombie with one shotgun blast to the head,
so I'm doing pretty well as far as avoiding crimson heads popping up later.

Hmm pretty sure your second quote is wrong, it was early this morning when I played that section but Im fairly certain Jill says "Youre a slave of umbrella just like those things"

I checked again to make sure and...well, that's weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83ulEYoPHw

It's exactly like I said.

But here's the version without Barry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx6Aubj6vfw

She does mention "The Things" here. Huh, I never knew about that before, they cut out some bits of the conversation when you enter the room with Barry and as a result it makes less sense.

Just finished my 1rst run with Jill and for some reason I'm not on the leaderboard T_T. Sure my time was awful (5h27) and it's full of hackers, but still...

Edit. NVM just takes time to update. Yay
Yeah wtf is up with the leaderboards? So many 1-10 minute runs apparently lol.
Not to mention you can't filter by difficulty, so the Very Easy times are lumped in with Normal and Hard.
Real Survivor leaderboard is the closest to legit.

Never played RE1-3 or REmake or 0 or anything before RE4 before and somehow, aside from some enemies and the basic plot, I know very little about the first Resident Evil. So going into this relatively blind has been great. Only issue I have is that moving can be confusing when moving through screens.

I wonder how much it would cost to make a fixed camera angle game with beautiful prerendered backgrounds and character models like this today. I'd love to see more of it.

Are you using alternate or classic controls? I find classic controls don't suffer the same problem of turning you around during camera cuts

Lord Phol

Lol, I've never played the remake version before and only a little of the orignal a looooooong time ago. I remember there being a scene with the
Dog
when you open the mansion door, so I tried it out. A few seconds later a
Dog
attacks me and I'm dead. All I can do is start over :p.

Not sure if I did something wrong but since I couldn't get him off me, how do you shake zombies/dogs/etc off you? I'm playing with a PS4 controller on PC.

Ooccoo

I think this port made me realize how I hate new gamers and the greedy ass industry that's been corrupted by iOS tactics.

Not saying REmake employs iOS tactics, but the new generation of gamers not even wanting to learn and discover games sickens me greatly. All I see are "getting stuck, what to do" posts about a game that is less than 7 hours long. You can get your action-filled, brodude RE7. It's what sells.

Man, forgot how much of a pain in the ass 6 inventory slots (with Chris) can be at times! Not really griping about it (....it's kind of a good hit of nostalgia) but it's tough juggling all the items.

Lol, I've never played the remake version before and only a little of the orignal a looooooong time ago. I remember there being a scene with the
Dog
when you open the mansion door, so I tried it out. A few seconds later a
Dog
attacks me and I'm dead. All I can do is start over :p.

Not sure if I did something wrong but since I couldn't get him off me, how do you shake zombies/dogs/etc off you? I'm playing with a PS4 controller on PC.

Rotate the left stick really fast. Buttons don't need to be mashed.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think this port made me realize how I hate new gamers and the greedy ass industry that's been corrupted by iOS tactics.

Not saying REmake employs iOS tactics, but the new generation of gamers not even wanting to learn and discover games sickens me greatly. All I see are "getting stuck, what to do" posts about a game that is less than 7 hours long. You can get your action-filled, brodude RE7. It's what sells.

Tastes change over time. What was popular in the 90's is no longer popular today. It sucks if you like old-school survival horror but what are you gonna do. At least you're getting a remaster of REmake and RE0.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

What does Brodude and people being stupid or impatient have to do with iOS?

I much prefer the original RE over anything recent, but it's a perfectly valid opinion/taste to dislike games that require a lot of thinking and exploring. Everyone plays games for different reasons, and for some maybe what they want is a linear action focused game. There's nothing wrong with that. Some of the puzzles in here are quite challenging even for myself having played the game before, my first run took 11 hours because I got stuck so many times.

I'm not going to say I prefer the "new style" of games, because I don't, but I won't say someone is wrong for disliking something as old school and hardcore as RE.

So much hate for the widescreen in this thread, but I'm honestly really enjoying it. You don't lose as much info as some are claiming due to the very well handled scrolling. The resolution takes a hit, but most of the time it looks absolutely incredible on my 60 inch LED.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Man, some of the backgrounds look AWFUL in this. Holy shit. The contrast between what looks great and what doesn't is HUGE. Going from the courtyard (nice) to the cabin (yuck) is crazy. Perhaps they should have applied some global film grain or something to make the characters and crappy backgrounds blend better
The cabin is an odd one, I'm sure they said they redone some because they was basically a movie file and couldn't be touched up and the cabin is most definitely a movie file, why didn't they redo it?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I dont think I have the stomach to go on.

nFSebim.gif

Man, some of the backgrounds look AWFUL in this. Holy shit. The contrast between what looks great and what doesn't is HUGE. Going from the courtyard (nice) to the cabin (yuck) is crazy. Perhaps they should have applied some global film grain or something to make the characters and crappy backgrounds blend better

I'm playing the game on PC but I almost wonder if it looks better on 360. The lower resolution of the entire game would probably mask some of the blurriness of the backgrounds, and the character models wouldn't look so much higher res than the backgrounds.

Anyone with the PS360 version care to chime in?

Shauni

I tried alternate controls for awhile, just didn't take to them. Maybe my mind is just to ingrained to playing this game with tank controls or something, but the alternate ones just didn't click with me.

Tastes change over time. What was popular in the 90's is no longer popular today. It sucks if you like old-school survival horror but what are you gonna do. At least you're getting a remaster of REmake and RE0.

And not just taste, but how games are designed and made. I can understand why someone could look at the past design as being better, but it's telling how people can't accept the fact that things and game design change from generation to generation.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I've been playing modern games for too long. The backtracking and puzzle solving is making me feel like an idiot. I think I actually had less trouble with it when I was 14.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah wtf is up with the leaderboards? So many 1-10 minute runs apparently lol.
Not to mention you can't filter by difficulty, so the Very Easy times are lumped in with Normal and Hard.
Real Survivor leaderboard is the closest to legit.

My favorite is the 2nd dude in the Normal rankings. Apparently he killed the Village Chief, Verdugo and Salazar within 5 minutes in RE4.

Shauni

The backtracking has always kind of wore me down, if I'm being honest. I don't mean that in a bad way so much, kind of adds to the challenge, but I remember getting pretty beat with on the GCN and PS1 both. Something you got to take a breath from sometimes.

The backtracking has always kind of wore me down, if I'm being honest. I don't mean that in a bad way so much, kind of adds to the challenge, but I remember getting pretty beat with on the GCN and PS1 both. Something you got to take a breath from sometimes.

Yeah it was terrible on my first playthrough here, I think some hallways I went through 20-30 times while running in circles trying to figure out where to go next.

I assume it's not as bad once you know where to go/what to do?

Shauni

Yeah it was terrible on my first playthrough here, I think some hallways I went through 20-30 times while running in circles trying to figure out where to go next.

I assume it's not as bad once you know where to go/what to do?

Yeah, once you know where everything is, you'll probably surprise yourself with how you can zoom through everything.

Does anyone else feel the writing and dialog is actually worse than the original? I mean I feel like it's not possible but it's so bland and lifeless it's actually astonishing. It really takes me out of the experience.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else feel the writing and dialog is actually worse than the original? I mean I feel like it's not possible but it's so bland and lifeless it's actually astonishing. It really takes me out of the experience.

The first one was goofy and had charm. The Remake tries to play it straight and falls flat because the writing is very very bad and the voice acting totally flat.

-TK-

This is game is so good. The best game I have on Ps4 and also one the best looking ones which is insane because the game is just an old gamecube game.

I really want another Re game with pre-rendered backgrounds...

liquidtmd

Banned

The scene in the Residence cracks me up. Jill out and out
HEARS BARRY SAYING HES UNDER ORDERS TO KILL S.T.A.R.S

Jill: (monotone) Who were you talking to Barry

Barry: (monotone) Myself I guess. This place huh.

Jill: Yeah

Barry: Im off outside to get fresh air.

Jill: OK. Cool.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa???

still amazing and loving this

EDIT: yup Noray

Can you guys imagine if capcom did an RE2 REmake and hired blur to do pre rendered backgrounds, with super detailed character and enemy models on next gen platforms and PC?!?

Would wet my pants

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Might wanna spoiler that liquidtmd

a later scene is similarly baffling.
Barry abandons Jill by taking the elevator back up. Later they meet up, Barry PULLS A FUCKING GUN ON HER, but Lisa shows up. You kill her, and the two just continue on as if nothing happened. The story in this game is completely stupid.

Played a few minutes, got absolutely owned by the second zombie in the statue room corridor because original controls apparently didn't mean Type C :mad:

Then I took like 15 minutes trying to find the place to put the code at RE.net

Can't wait to play this again!

ryjrlXY.png

Top Bottom