• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Sectus

I'm playing the game on PC but I almost wonder if it looks better on 360. The lower resolution of the entire game would probably mask some of the blurriness of the backgrounds, and the character models wouldn't look so much higher res than the backgrounds.

Anyone with the PS360 version care to chime in?

I did several playthroughs on 360, and I vastly prefer how PC version looks. I guess 360 version would mask some of the bad backgrounds because it looks much blurrier, but I really like how sharp the image quality is on PC.

Chris_IWS

Does anyone else feel the writing and dialog is actually worse than the original? I mean I feel like it's not possible but it's so bland and lifeless it's actually astonishing. It really takes me out of the experience.

This was also the time before anybody was animating facial expressions. Outside of the CG intro, everybody's working the stoneface kayfabe.

I did several playthroughs on 360, and I vastly prefer how PC version looks. I guess 360 version would mask some of the bad backgrounds because it looks much blurrier, but I really like how sharp the image quality is on PC.

In regards to this, I'm wondering how many people are running the 16:9 aspect. Gave it a try myself for a few minutes and couldn't handle the grainy zoom. 4:3 looks much better imo.

Jawmuncher

67E09C9B05581C1A99AA412FB049D50326BFC3D3

Just beat Chris.
Good enough for a first attempt on normal.
Forgot how much easier the game gets about half way when you can start really using the shotgun.,

Sectus

Does anyone else feel the writing and dialog is actually worse than the original? I mean I feel like it's not possible but it's so bland and lifeless it's actually astonishing. It really takes me out of the experience.

I much prefer REmake's voice acting. RE1 is so bad it's funny but it destroys any attempt of atmosphere in the game. I think the cutscene direction and voice direction is good in REmake, I just wish instead of only re-translating the game, they also re-wrote the game. A lot of the remaining cheese is because of the original writing and storyline simply being bad. Some scenes are so bad I'm surprised they didn't do anything with them. Like the scene with Enrico.

I'm buying this today as well. Just don't know which control scheme I should go with.

I guess I'll try the new controls and see if I like it. Part of the horror in the old days was also the tank controls and the stress it could create.

Set it to alternate. That way you effectively have both. Dpad is old school. Analog is new school

-
Also, set it 4:3, youll thank me later.

Might wanna spoiler that liquidtmd

a later scene is similarly baffling.
Barry abandons Jill by taking the elevator back up. Later they meet up, Barry PULLS A FUCKING GUN ON HER, but Lisa shows up. You kill her, and the two just continue on as if nothing happened. The story in this game is completely stupid.

Yeah they tried to make
Barry
out to be more sinister in the remake and it doesn't really work. There are many things the original version does better than this remake, really. For instance, I always loved how it was a different game for Chris and Jill - if I recall correctly one of the keys doesn't even exist for Chris, so your trek through the mansion was very different. Hell, there weren't even any difficulty settings - Jill was Normal and Chris was Hard.
The whole Lisa Trevor thing was a bit of a failure in my opinion as well. The set-up was brilliant (warning message from Barry over radio when you enter the forest), but it doesn't deliver - I found the default zombies to be more menacing. And that death scene? Nothing short of laughable.
All in all, they're both amazing games but, visuals aside, I think I prefer the original for many many reasons (including live action endings).

TheUsual

Gold Member
So when the dogs are mauling you, do you just mash buttons to get them off. I was at full health as Jill and died when one mauled me. Using the 360 controller on the PC btw.

QUESTION - How many pistol bullets does it take to take down a zombie on hard mode, compared to normal? I was playing on hard but it literally took me 10 bullets to take out a single zombie, then few seconds later he got back up. I might restart with normal mode.

Sectus

In regards to this, I'm wondering how many people are running the 16:9 aspect. Gave it a try myself for a few minutes and couldn't handle the grainy zoom. 4:3 looks much better imo.

I've played both (used 16:9 whenever I've been recording for youtube) and 4:3 looks much better. I think I'm less bothered by that aspect ratio as I used a 4:3 monitor up until 2010 or so. I just never thought 16:9 was naturally superior, it's just different.

The new controls seem to do more harm than good for me. I can see where being able to take off in any direction immediately is helpful but any area where camera changes are frequent is a nightmare to navigate if enemies are around.

For example
the hallway with the first crimson head or the shark tank
are nearly impossible for me to get through without taking damage unless I use the regular controls.

Sectus

QUESTION - How many pistol bullets does it take to take down a zombie on hard mode, compared to normal? I was playing on hard but it literally took me 10 bullets to take out a single zombie, then few seconds later he got back up. I might restart with normal mode.

Not sure what the average is, but I think it's random how many shots they take.

By the way, hard is unlocked by beating the game once. Starting difficulties are normal, easy, and very easy. Although I guess you could say based on modern difficulty balancing easy is normal.

Weird. It's working great for me. The framerate it set as variable in your in game settings?

bhd_2015_01_24_14_11_rcrch.png
Damn, and yeah it's set to variable with vsync off so I have no idea. Maybe it's an gsync issue? Can anyone else confirm they have 120 FPS working?

Edit: The English equivalent for the setting you used would be "highest available refresh rate" I presume?

Jawmuncher

4:3? Why?

That is so distracting to me.

Widescreen is fine for what it is.
But at the end of the day the image is being zoomed in so for example the water area later on is going to look worse than it already does. With the 4:3 you get the whole image with no zooming and it makes it look better. Aside from the black bars on the side. At the end of the day though play with whatever you prefer. You can go back and forth in the middle of the game to try it out.

Chris_IWS

The whole Lisa Trevor thing was a bit of a failure in my opinion as well. The set-up was brilliant (warning message from Barry over radio when you enter the forest), but it doesn't deliver - I found the default zombies to be more menacing. And that death scene? Nothing short of laughable.

I found Lisa to be one of the better additions to the game, tbh. Multiple run-throughs will obviously degrade the creep factor, but I appreciate her and the whole Trevor family story more as an example of what Umbrella/Spencer/et al are capable of. Evil shit.

Oh, and that "death scene" isn't a death scene.
Love Umbrella Chronicles for showing what evil shit Wesker's capable of. :D

Rflagg

Never played REmake before (the original '96 version ruined my childhood), didn't realise it was so different to the original. Quite a few new areas and puzzles it seems, liking it so far though.

I am in the same boat and it has been a pleasant surprise.

Yeah they tried to make
Barry
out to be more sinister in the remake and it doesn't really work. There are many things the original version does better than this remake, really. For instance, I always loved how it was a different game for Chris and Jill - if I recall correctly one of the keys doesn't even exist for Chris, so your trek through the mansion was very different. Hell, there weren't even any difficulty settings - Jill was Normal and Chris was Hard.
All in all, they're both amazing games but, visuals aside, I think I prefer the original for many many reasons (including live action endings).

As much as I love the remake, I am also in the camp of preferring the original. I also prefer the live action intro/ endings and think the soundtrack is improved. I also don't like the fact that there is a part of the mansion missing in the remake
(the bit where you get to look out of a window that overlooks the helipad)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Set it to alternate. That way you effectively have both. Dpad is old school. Analog is new school

-
Also, set it 4:3, youll thank me later.

Only if you set it to alternate controls type E. That way d-pad is old school, right trigger is type C from the GC, and analog is modern controls. It really allows you to switch up your control scheme on the fly.

Been absolutely loving this on PC. It really is amazing tthat a game that's almost 20 years old can reel me in like this. I'm not even minding the dated mechanics. Hopefully we see good sales and Capcom takes notice. It would be great to see more of these!

I found Lisa to be one of the better additions to the game, tbh. Multiple run-throughs will obviously degrade the creep factor, but I appreciate her and the whole Trevor family story more as an example of what Umbrella/Spencer/et al are capable of. Evil shit.

Oh, and that "death scene" isn't a death scene.
Love Umbrella Chronicles for showing what evil shit Wesker's capable of. :D

I've been meaning to play that and you might have just given me a reason to.

As for the evil corporation angle, I think the fact that they purposely exposed their scientists to the virus (itchy, tasty memo) and created ungodly creatures as weapons (chimera, hunters, and tyrant) got that point across already. :p

As much as I love the remake, I am also in the camp of preferring the original. I also prefer the live action intro/ endings and think the soundtrack is improved. I also don't like the fact that there is a part of the mansion missing in the remake
(the bit where you get to look out of a window that overlooks the helipad)
If I remember correctly (and I probably don't - it's been so many years), that was in the library where you now fight Yawn. Yawn fight used to be in that room with the closing walls on statue puzzle. So the area is in there, but yeah I think there was some sort of puzzle involved, so I guess they basically swapped puzzle and boss rooms. Pretty sure you got the first MO disk there as well.

I do love the horrible writing and acting in this. Not quite as legendary as the original, but it comes close. Like Barry telling Jill to go on ahead and hanging back to "secure the area".
Then after he betrays you, if you choose to give him his gun back, he does the exact same thing and Jill barely bats any eye. Also where the fuck did he find a flamethrower? And why is this idiot giving me acid shells when I don't even have a grenade launcher?

The part with Wesker just randomly shooting nothing in the guardhouse was pretty funny in a weird way too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I much prefer REmake's voice acting. RE1 is so bad it's funny but it destroys any attempt of atmosphere in the game. I think the cutscene direction and voice direction is good in REmake, I just wish instead of only re-translating the game, they also re-wrote the game. A lot of the remaining cheese is because of the original writing and storyline simply being bad. Some scenes are so bad I'm surprised they didn't do anything with them. Like the scene with Enrico.

I like after that scene you can inspect him and it says something like "this must have been done by a professional" when the whole scene seemed hilariously sloppy.

If I remember correctly (and I probably don't - it's been so many years), that was in the library where you now fight Yawn. Yawn fight used to be in that room with the closing walls on statue puzzle. So the area is in there, but yeah I think there was some sort of puzzle involved, so I guess they basically swapped puzzle and boss rooms. Pretty sure you got the first MO disk there as well.

Yeah I think you're right. For what I remember, in the original the second yawn
breaks the floor and then you drop down into the basement using the rope. The library then contains the puzzle where you get the mo disk by pushing a statue. It also contains that room I mentioned where you can view the helipad (which plays into the story in a real cool way).
I just prefer the way this whole section is handled in the original.

Erebus

I do love the horrible writing and acting in this. Not quite as legendary as the original, but it comes close. Like Barry telling Jill to go on ahead and hanging back to "secure the area".
Then after he betrays you, if you choose to give him his gun back, he does the exact same thing and Jill barely bats any eye. Also where the fuck did he find a flamethrower? And why is this idiot giving me acid shells when I don't even have a grenade launcher?

The part with Wesker just randomly shooting nothing in the guardhouse was pretty funny in a weird way too.

Not to mention the part where
Enrico is getting shot right in front of Jill and she doesn't even bother to turn her head and look who shot him

In other news, I just got
crushed by a giant boulder
. Where is Chris when you need him.

Am I about halfway through the game?

For me, the voice acting in the original is more memorable as it is beyond awful but contains many memorable quotes and one-liners. The remake voice acting is just bland and forgettable (along with being bad) IMO

Was there an update that broke downsampling? Playing at higher than 1440P causes the game to not load after the Capcom logo now despite having played at 4K for most of the time I've spent with it :/

Edit: Restarting my PC fixed it

DrKelpo

Banned
Can you guys imagine if capcom did an RE2 REmake and hired blur to do pre rendered backgrounds, with super detailed character and enemy models on next gen platforms and PC?!?

Would wet my pants

that would be fucking sweet, but please also for 3.

after replaying REmastered (i also have played the original ps1 version) i have to say, that re 2 actually is my least favorite one of the first 3.

yes, i said it.

bryanee

Just booted it up for the first time. Boy does it still look good. I haven't played REmake for a long time. I'm surprised how much I like the new controls but yeh they make dodging zambies really, really easy.

Manu

The MO discs are used to unlock the
jail cells
that hold
Jill or Chris

I'd like to give a slightly less spoilery answer than the one below.

You need to use all three MO disks to actually get the particular door that unlocks to unlock. Just using one MO disk opens nothing.

Huh. I have two MO disks but it only allowed me to use one.

When I tried to use the second one it said "there's no need to use that right now."

Unai

Damn, and yeah it's set to variable with vsync off so I have no idea. Maybe it's an gsync issue? Can anyone else confirm they have 120 FPS working?

Edit: The English equivalent for the setting you used would be "highest available refresh rate" I presume?

Yeah, it shoud be highest available refresh rate. In my case it's also on a g-sync monitor (Philips 272G).

I have Dolphin and the wii version of this..

I've seen some screenshots that make this re-re-remake look fantastic and others I can't tell a difference

is it worth it? I can get it on console or PC

Skullface

Hot damn, I am a super noob. I've spent 3 days looking for the last old key, and I was treated to 3 surprises. First, those zombies in the basement kitchen. Yikes. Second, the fact that my last old key door led me to nothing that I needed ( at the moment ), just a bag of plant chemicals. Third? Well, after roaming around trying to figure out what I need to be doing, I stumbled across the dog whistle. I have no idea how I missed it...

I've noticed that the frame rate stutters when you are on outside. Am I the only one who is having this problem?

I haven't noticed, but people are expressing frame rate concerns on GameFAQs. Specifically, the Xbox One board.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
that would be fucking sweet, but please also for 3.

after replaying REmastered (i also have played the original ps1 version) i have to say, that re 2 actually is my least favorite one of the first 3.

yes, i said it.

where are the mods

ban this sick filth

Cubed

Are there really people that don't like the Lisa Trevor addition?

She's the best thing about REmake!

One of the best things in RE history, period.

Quikies83

Is there something special I need to do before I can use the music notes on the piano as Jill? It's not letting me use the notes against the grand piano.

Edit: nm. I apparently only have half of the score

KingKong

Some of these puzzles are so convoluted, I dont know I mean its a videogame and all but its pretty nonsensical and it seems solving them relies less on logic and more on just trying and exploring everything

I remember that I used to beat this game in under 5 hours when it first came out on GC. After 3 hours of playing since yesterday I'm still at the beginning since I have lost the pattern of doing things. It's frustrating but kind of refreshing at the same time. I totally forgot that the game is really clever, and that there is almost no hand-holding. If you get stuck, you get stuck. Love it.

Skullface

Some of these puzzles are so convoluted, I dont know I mean its a videogame and all but its pretty nonsensical and it seems solving them relies less on logic and more on just trying and exploring everything

I quite like the lack of hand holding. I think we need more of this.

Top Bottom