• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

L.O.R.D

F17FEC24C0BF005AA93ABBAD2C63EFD52B0BADA0

I KNOW YOU ARE FUCKING HERE,,,I JUST SAW YOU ASSHOLE

just reached the Residence , light up the 3 candles , don't know where to go

Some of these puzzles are so convoluted, I dont know I mean its a videogame and all but its pretty nonsensical and it seems solving them relies less on logic and more on just trying and exploring everything

Actually I think they are pretty logical. What is killing me right now is getting an item to "early" without knowing what are you are going to use it for later.
Like the emblem in the beginning
. It causing a lot of backtracking and going back to the item box.

Got the game a couple of days ago and managed to beat it on Easy as Jill. Not that I'm bad in REmake but I wanted to get re-accustomed to all the items, puzzles and backtracking you need when you play as Chris.

In all my playthroughs of the original game on Gamecube I never found that ending where
you could kill Tyrant in the lab and thus skip the 2nd encounter on the heliport.

I found Lisa to be one of the better additions to the game, tbh. Multiple run-throughs will obviously degrade the creep factor, but I appreciate her and the whole Trevor family story more as an example of what Umbrella/Spencer/et al are capable of. Evil shit.

Oh, and that "death scene" isn't a death scene.
Love Umbrella Chronicles for showing what evil shit Wesker's capable of. :D

Yup, I agree. It's not about her being scary but just her whole back story and locals are endlessly fascinating,
her underground room is just depressingly stunning
. A sad and creepy character overall, a fitting addition to RE.

-MD-

Also, what's the point of the
Bee Lure
?

I'm almost at the end of the game and haven't used it yet.

You use it in the room you find it in
and you receive the wind crest to use in the graveyard to get the magnum.

Also, what's the point of the
Bee Lure
?

I'm almost at the end of the game and haven't used it yet.

You have to use it in a in that room you got it which unlocks a item that subsequently unlocks puzzle in another area which rewards you with a weapon.

JakeD

anyone have any tips for
killing the dog with the collar?

i can only get a shot or two off before i get knocked over and
have my face eaten off

i'm playing chris on hard.

Randam

anyone have any tips for

have my face eaten off

stronger weapon?
or a shot and then dodge and repeat.

anyone have any tips for

have my face eaten off

I'm playing Chris on Normal and I would also like tips for this :p

Also - where do you find the old key to unlock the door to get out there?

Chris_IWS

anyone have any tips for

have my face eaten off

If you're having trouble, I'd recommend getting the shotgun. I'm assuming you're mashing like crazy once the dog jumps you, right?

I remember dogs being a lot easier in the GC version. Handgun bullets knocked them over, iirc.

-MD-

I remember dogs being a lot easier in the GC version. Handgun bullets knocked them over, iirc.

I totally remember dogs falling over in the GC version from pistol shots, do they not fall in this one? I've only used the shotty against them and of course they fall from that.

KingKong

Actually I think they are pretty logical. What is killing me right now is getting an item to "early" without knowing what are you are going to use it for later.
Like the emblem in the beginning
. It causing a lot of backtracking and going back to the item box.

Yeah thats annoying too, but things like the gems for example,
you find one the dining room, two together in a puzzle room, then use the dining room and one other on the lion statue to get... ammo and a quest item, and the other is used to open a box in a different place altogether. its just kind of nonsense even if you can figure it out through descriptions

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Having this on PC has made me realize I'd love for them to port over Umbrella Chronicles. They could even make it a Typing of the Dead clone.

Jawmuncher

Having this on PC has made me realize I'd love for them to port over Umbrella Chronicles. They could even make it a Typing of the Dead clone.

Umbrella and Darkside coming as type game would be pretty cool.
Only issue I had with both of them was the weapons though. Wasn't a fan of the multiple types.

Chris_IWS

I totally remember dogs falling over in the GC version from pistol shots, do they not fall in this one? I've only used the shotty against them and of course they fall from that.

No, they don't, unless you catch them while they're in mid-flight for your face. The worst is when you're waiting for them to jump, and they just run up and maul your arm. :p

Man you guys weren't kidding.

Chris' campaign is the real Resident Evil.

Loving my Normal playthrough so far. Just got the armor key and about to go see Richard.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just finished Chris campaign. 05:39:45 hours, 19 saves. It took longer than i expected since i never did a playthrough with Chris.

Bumhead

Banned
Just done my first ever speed run.

2:50. 10 minutes to spare under the 3 hour mark. Couldn't be happier with that.

Did both my original play through and then the speed run with Jill. I want to play Chris' campaign now, although I'd rather do it without the temptation of using the infinite weapons. I suppose there's always Real Survivor, right? Not sure what to go for next. I want a knife only run at some point too, and a no saves one.

Shauni

I know it's sacrilegious for some people to suggest anything be changed about old school RE, but I kind of came to the conclusion that it wouldn't have been a big deal to not need Ink Ribbons to save, as long as you restricted the saves themselves just to the typewriter rooms since there's so few of them, and they are pretty spaced out.

Just did my second playthrough - a knife only run as Chris, Very Easy, playtime was right about at four hours. Didn't follow a guide so I think it went ok. For the plat I think I need Real Survival, Invisible Enemies, and a Normal speed run of sub-three hours. Game is so much shorter when you know what to do, though I wish I could skip those damn door animations.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I know it's sacrilegious for some people to suggest anything be changed about old school RE, but I kind of came to the conclusion that it wouldn't have been a big deal to not need Ink Ribbons to save, as long as you restricted the saves themselves just to the typewriter rooms since there's so few of them, and they are pretty spaced out.

I sort of agree that they could have abandoned the idea for this version, but only because ink ribbons are so plentiful that the limited save system doesn't matter.

The idea behind it is great and adds a lot of tension to the gameplay but only if you force yourself not to save or only rarely save.

Bumhead

Banned

I actually agree.

There's a pretty comfortable excess of ink ribbons. I'm a pretty panicky saver, but they didn't add any tension to me further than just getting to a save point in the first place. The main inconvenience was getting them out of the save box and remembering to put them back in again when resuming. I think the tension in the game would be just as much trying to reach the save points as it is with saves + ribbons.

I guess there's inventory management. But at that point, if you're constantly carrying them with you then you have bigger problems with your inventory management skills than just ink ribbons. There's never a reason to carry them. I can only recall two typewriters that aren't accompanied by a box in the whole game.

Shauni

I sort of agree that they could have abandoned the idea for this version, but only because ink ribbons are so plentiful that the limited save system doesn't matter.

The idea behind it is great and adds a lot of tension to the gameplay but only if you force yourself not to save or only rarely save.

I meant in general, not just for this remaster. I think the tension is still there considering the placement and rarity of save rooms. I think the series could've never bothered with ink ribbons and still been just as good.

I actually agree.

There's a pretty comfortable excess of ink ribbons. I'm a pretty panicky saver, but they didn't add any tension to me further than just getting to a save point in the first place. The main inconvenience was getting them out of the save box and remembering to put them back in again when resuming. I think the tension in the game would be just as much trying to reach the save points as it is with saves + ribbons.

I guess there's inventory management. But at that point, if you're constantly carrying them with you then you have bigger problems with your inventory management skills than just ink ribbons. There's never a reason to carry them. I can only recall two typewriters that aren't accompanied by a box in the whole game.

No, ink ribbons provides a concept of limited saves.

If you could save as much as you want. You'd go a save - trail n' error - save routine for everything you do.

I agree that there should be no need to carry or manage ink ribbons.

Instead, each typewriter should have enough 'ink' built-in to where you can only save 7 or so times on each typewriter.

Quikies83

Well I'm that guy that just ran out of ink ribbons.. Heh
Looking at locations in mansion it looks like I need to find a way into the large art room

Bumhead

Banned
No, ink ribbons provides a concept of limited saves.

If you could save as much as you want. You'd go a save - trail n' error - save routine for everything you do.

I agree that there should be no need to carry or manage ink ribbons.

Instead, each typewriter should have enough 'ink' built-in to where you can only save 7 or so times on each typewriter.

Hm, fair point and that would be a reasonable solution too. A limited usage state like some of the other items have such as the potted herbs and kerosene.

Well, I say "solution". Personally I'm fine with the ribbons and am glad they're still around. I ended up with stockpiles of them on this version of the game, but clearly remember running out in 1996. Was definitely scary as shit then. It's interesting reading different ideas for how that stuff could work in alternate ways, even if the current system is part of a package I consider almost flawless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can see limited saves becoming annoying. They sure don't want to make playing this game convenient.

Huh? You can do large "chunks" without running out of ribbons. People are too overly cautious and saving every five minutes are going to be the ones running out of ribbons.

TheSeks

Ugh. Get both outfits for both characters on a separate save file to avoid the stupid ass "One Dangerous Zombie" mode that is AUTO-ON for one save file with both characters done.

No achievement unlock.

T-th-thanks, Capcom? :|

olimpia84

Finally fired this up today. Went with original look and original controls and started on Normal with Jill. Capcom could have done better with the remaster process I think but with that being said the game does look very good imo.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I meant in general, not just for this remaster. I think the tension is still there considering the placement and rarity of save rooms. I think the series could've never bothered with ink ribbons and still been just as good.

I only mentioned this version because they already made it easier with the Alternate controls so a change to the save system is relatively minor.

Regarding the whole series, I don't agree. Safe rooms are sparse enough that finding the next one on your first playthrough is always a great thrill, but after you're familiar with the game(s) you realize that they're actually not that far apart. The challenge is supposed to come from seeing how much progress you can make per ink ribbon use, not whether or not you can make it back to a safe room.

hohoXD123

Huh? You can do large "chunks" without running out of ribbons. People are too overly cautious and saving every five minutes are going to be the ones running out of ribbons.

Often won't have enough time to be doing large chunks, so I can only really play it at certain times. So yeah, not very convenient.

You find more then enough ink ribbons. I'm only two hours in and i've found like ten.

Fair enough then, I'm still early on and only found two rooms with the ribbons, if they become more common later then it's not that big of a deal.

TheSeks

Often won't have enough time to be doing large chunks, so I can only really play it at certain times. So yeah, not very convenient.

Surely you can do 10-30 minutes. The game can be beaten in 5 hours or less. You get a max of... what... 20? Ink ribbons.

1 save per 10-30 minute session is MORE than enough.

Shauni

Surely you can do 10-30 minutes. The game can be beaten in 5 hours or less. You get a max of... what... 20? Ink ribbons.

1 save per 10-30 minute session is MORE than enough.

I think 5 hours is a bit generous for someone playing their first time without a guide or anything.

My first blind playthorugh (never played before, not even the PS1 version) on normal with Jill was 8 1/2 hours, though I went for 100% items. Still, that's longer than I expected given the speedrun trophies.

I have a feeling that if we ever get REmake 2, Capcom would give us unlimited saves like RE4. Just hope they don't add a checkpoint system too. Bleh.

Top Bottom