• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Having completed Resi 1 a million times, and never even seeing a glimpse of the GC remake....

Fuck this game has blown me away. Currently about half way through (I think) and wow.. Truly my downloadable game of the these already

Buy it...now

I dunno, by the end of the game I have about 11 ink ribbons left. I've never had any trouble saving my ink ribbons in any of the old Resi games.

By the way, does anyone else find the game takes way longer to save/load then on the GC?

master15

Caved in and bought this just now. It's been a long time since I played this so have trouble remembering where everything is and what to do next (a good thing).

Can't wait to crack into this later this night. Lights off, no sound and old-school survival horror.

Caved in and bought this just now. It's been a long time since I played this so have trouble remembering where everything is and what to do next (a good thing).

Can't wait to crack into this later this night. Lights off, no sound and old-school survival horror.

The puzzles are different so knowledge of the original doesn't help much

lutheran

The puzzles are different so knowledge of the original doesn't help much

How are the puzzles different? I have heard and it has been stated in this thread a few times that nothing was changed other than the visuals and the controls.

Oh wait you mean changed from the original but not changed from the 1st remake.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I think 5 hours is a bit generous for someone playing their first time without a guide or anything.

If its someone's first time it's smarter to save only after you've made significant progress, right before you begin exploring a new map, or before a boss fight. Like, if you only have 40 minutes to play at once, and you spend that 40 minutes wandering aimlessly only to stumble on a key item or figure out a puzzle at the last second, don't save. Just wait until your next session and you'll know exactly what to do and won't waste a ribbon.

Like everything else, saving just requires a bit of self control. Honestly I don't think you can run out of ribbons unless you're saving every single time you pass by a typewriter.

Manu

Just beat the game with Chris.

How do I go about
saving Rebecca
though? I saved right before the Tyrant fight so I might reload just to do it.

Manu

Attack the Tyrant to draw his attention towards you.

But once he grabs her, that's it, right? Because he won't drop her no matter what.

EDIT: Pic of final stats.

10896900_10205973336482434_5016852115359574459_n.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think 5 hours is a bit generous for someone playing their first time without a guide or anything.

Most people are beating it in 6-12 hours max. That's not a huge stretch either. Even then, you shouldn't be oversaving. That's kinda the point of the save system. Do you feel you made huge gains? Yes? Save. No, I only played five minutes? Well you know what to do faster the next time you come back and can do more: Don't save.

But once he grabs her, that's it, right? Because he won't drop her no matter what.

Not really, fire enough times and he'll let her go and focus on you again. Never really had trouble with this part. Which weapon are you using? With the magnum equipped it's almost impossible for him to kill you or your buddy.

Manu

Not really, fire enough times and he'll let her go and focus on you again. Never really had trouble with this part. Which weapon are you using? With the magnum equipped it's almost impossible for him to kill you or your buddy.

Shotgun. I missed the Magnum in this playthrough.

Curufinwe

The new controls make areas with multiple quick camera changes annoying, and clearly show how well suited tank controls are for fixed camera angles.

But the new controls work well in bigger areas so I've stuck with them.

Not to mention the part where
Enrico is getting shot right in front of Jill and she doesn't even bother to turn her head and look who shot him

Dullest reaction ever? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just finished my second playthrough, normal mode with Jill, 3:23. Not bad, considering my first playthrough was 10:30 on easy (granted that was probably extended quite a bit by pausing the game and alt-tabbing to browse the internet a few times).

TheSeks

So, uh... what weapons am I missing in Biohazard.net?

???????? NEWShotgun NEWFlame Thrower ???????? NEWRocket Launcher NEWAssault Shotgun NEWGrenade Launcher (Acid Shells) NEWGrenade Launcher (Flame Shells) ???????? ???????? NEWHandgun NEWBarry's .44 Magnum

As far as I'm aware, I have all the weapons in the game but apparently not?

Yep, apparently I have never seen these weapons. My mind is blown.

Here's a list of all weapons and where they are. Spoilers.

It's been a long time since I last played this game.

So for the occasion, I'm trying my first playthrough to be Knife-only, no defensive items, no stomping and no setting enemies on fire.
Problem is, I'm at a point right now where
all zombies I killed at the beginning are starting to turn into crimson heads
...it's stressful now to roam the halls :D

misterck

You have to load the grenade launcher with all ammo types and you also need the two weapons you get for beating the game under 5 and 3 hours.

Risible

Well, I can finally say I finished the first Resident Evil. Wanted to post my thoughts on it post-play.

First, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I've been gaming since videogames were a thing (I'm 50). For whatever reason though I never played the RE series until RE4, which I adore and have played through at least ten times. I played through RE5 a number of times, and really enjoyed it as well. I only played through RE6 once, but I mean to go back to it. It was a big departure from 4 and 5, I felt, but I think it has merit and want to devote some time to it some day.

I thought the Remaster looked amazing. Capcom should be applauded for the work they did on it. Just a fantastic job.

I loved the puzzles, for the most part. Some of them were a bit obtuse, but I thought most of them were well thought out and fair. The recent REs have got nothing on RE1 in terms of the puzzles.

I played through on Very Easy. In hindsight it was way too easy. That's my fault though, I can't knock the game for that. I always had tons of ammo and ribbons to save.

The combat was "meh." No skill thanks to the auto-aim, so it took a lot of the tension out of it for me. Do the harder difficulties remove the auto-aim?

I missed upgrading weapons. That's a fun part of the game for me in 4 & 5, and I missed it.

Like all RE games, the atmosphere and level design was top-notch. Superb.

Fuck having key items take up one of your six slots. That added nothing more than annoyance. I'd run around with my weapons and ammo in my inventory and the key items stored in a box, so it was constant schlepping back to the box for shit. And fuck whoever came up with the idea of the doorknob breaking to make the trek back to the box even longer.

The need for ribbons was annoying. Sure , it adds some tension, but just make it like RE4 where you need to find a typewriter, that adds tension enough.

Great game! I had a fun time with it, $20 well spent. Glad I finally experienced the original, I see why people call it a masterpiece and why it spawned a franchise.

TheSeks

The combat was "meh." No skill thanks to the auto-aim, so it took a lot of the tension out of it for me. Do the harder difficulties remove the auto-aim?

Real Survival does. The Directors Cut of the PSX original does as well. IIRC it's an option in the Remake. Bio2 also has the option to turn it off in the control scheme as one option, and I think 3 does as well as a control scheme option.

But a lot of people prefer the auto-aim because it allows you to hit targets off screen as they're coming into the screen muuuch easier.

Edit: Just checked. Type-E if you're using a controller may be "manual aim" only. Otherwise all the other controller options and even the PC keyboard and mouse seem to be auto-aim only.

Finished this today - first ever play through. It was amazing.

I did use the new controls, enjoyed those more than the traditional set.

Took me 11hrs 45mins.

Real Survival does. The Directors Cut of the PSX original does as well. IIRC it's an option in the Remake. Bio2 also has the option to turn it off in the control scheme as one option, and I think 3 does as well as a control scheme option.

But a lot of people prefer the auto-aim because it allows you to hit targets off screen as they're coming into the screen muuuch easier.

Edit: Just checked. Type-E if you're using a controller may be "manual aim" only. Otherwise all the other controller options and even the PC keyboard and mouse seem to be auto-aim only.
Type E is auto aim too. But still the best.

It makes sense that Jill can aim at things offscreen that SHE can see even if we can't with the fixed camera.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I played and beat this for my first time on Dolphin, and I understand where people are coming from with the save complaints. I was very thankful to have save states while playing. I do think that if they kept the current save system, but implemented checkpoints of some sort that would go a very long way towards helping. It sucks to lose 20 minutes of progress because of a random one-hit kill and sometimes in REmake that can happen.

Unai

Well, I would like at least a "quick save" option. Something that would let me save anywhere and send me back to the title screen, and when I load the game it would erase the save. This wouldn't screw with the game balance, and would be great for people who don't have much time.

It sucks when you only have 30 minutes or so to play, but can't save because of reasons.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
It sucks to lose 20 minutes of progress because of a random one-hit kill and sometimes in REmake that can happen.

I get that it can be demoralizing, but usually the 20 minutes of progress you lost can be redone in less than 5 since most of the gameplay is simply figuring out where to go next or how to solve a puzzle.

Manu

I get that it can be demoralizing, but usually the 20 minutes of progress you lost can be redone in less than 5 since most of the gameplay is simply figuring out where to go next or how to solve a puzzle.

True.

Sometimes after figuring a path I'd even reload, thinking "I'm sure I can do it much faster this time."

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Totally, but it's not always that straightforward. I know when I was playing there was a lot of exploration. So there were cases where I might be exploring for 30 minutes, getting ammo and health, finding keys, and marking off rooms as visited and complete - and then I get killed.

It is very likely that now I'm able to b-line through to get the required keys/key items in no time, but if I do that I'm missing out on all the goodies I found the first time, and that is always disappointing. It feels like the choice becomes either explore and replay content you've already done (albeit slightly quicker) or just skip that stuff and catch up quickly but KNOW that you're missing valuable items you could use later. It would be nice to not have to make that tradeoff and I think the game could still be enjoyable with checkpoints, even if it is just something like a backup auto-save every 15 minutes or something.

Yep.

As for the unlimited save talk, Even if they were unlimited, people will still find a way to complain... which is exactly what happened with a recent survival horror gem called Alien: Isolation.

Ishida

Banned
I downloaded the game today (PS4 version), and tried to play it.

I obtained the Sword key, but whenever I try to open a door with it, a message pops up saying "You cannot continue until the download is complete".

What download? The game was FULLY downloaded and installed! What's going on?

Tried to restart it. Same crap.

Anyone going through the same issue?

-TK-

Yep.

As for the unlimited save talk, Even if they were unlimited, people will still find a way to complain... which is exactly what happened with a recent survival horror gem called Alien: Isolation.

yeah. Why the fuck they are even playing these kind of games? The limited save system is one of the best features in this game. There is even a trophy for no save run.

Auto-save people should go to play their other games and stop ruining my favorite genre.

//ARCANUM

have been considering Resident Evil 4 after this... how is the PS3 version? Think it might be the only console I have that has a version available for it. (I have Xbox One, PS3, Vita, Vita TV, 3DS.)

Rean

Using the tank controls when fighting the
crimson head prototype
is kind of a bitch. He's so fast that by the time I 180'd he was already hitting me.

Huh. A cutscene I never knew existed until now.

Jill, returning to the mansion, stumbles upon a STARS radio.
Because this is the first time I failed to cure Richard
:[

Edit. Aaaaaaaand then a Hunter kills me

So Jill and the Shotgun:

My wife is struggling a bit with exploration and it's taking her longer than she'd like to admit on just finding shit. She's pretty late to the shotgun, in fact she already has the grenade launcher so that's kind of backwards. When she found the shotgun and then stepped out to the Jill Sandwich room, Barry did not save her! I'm trying not to spoil the game but I was stunned, so I told her to try it again without saying anything else. Again he did not save her but at least she was able to return to the room and place the shotgun back. She does not have the broken shotgun and I'm actually not sure where to find it. Is this even possible? Did she miss the window for Barry saving her from the ceiling trap? I'm bummed if she won't get to experience the Jill Sandwich line even if they did change it. She recognizes the line since it's quite infamous but I want her to live that moment

-MD-

Edit. Aaaaaaaand then a Hunter kills me

Lol. The cutscene when that happened looked super rough, they should've redid that.

So Jill and the Shotgun:

My wife is struggling a bit with exploration and it's taking her longer than she'd like to admit on just finding shit. She's pretty late to the shotgun, in fact she already has the grenade launcher so that's kind of backwards. When she found the shotgun and then stepped out to the Jill Sandwich room, Barry did not save her! I'm trying not to spoil the game but I was stunned, so I told her to try it again without saying anything else. Again he did not save her but at least she was able to return to the room and place the shotgun back. She does not have the broken shotgun and I'm actually not sure where to find it. Is this even possible? Did she miss the window for Barry saving her from the ceiling trap? I'm bummed if she won't get to experience the Jill Sandwich line even if they did change it. She recognizes the line since it's quite infamous but I want her to live that moment

The broken shotgun can be found in a room in the same hallway as the west save room.

And iirc a couple days ago someone linked a video of themselves in ceiling room and barry never came, not sure if there's a time limit or glitch or whatever though.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
6bywR8S.jpg

lol rocket launcher, will do a proper run another time

Totally, but it's not always that straightforward. I know when I was playing there was a lot of exploration. So there were cases where I might be exploring for 30 minutes, getting ammo and health, finding keys, and marking off rooms as visited and complete - and then I get killed.

It is very likely that now I'm able to b-line through to get the required keys/key items in no time, but if I do that I'm missing out on all the goodies I found the first time, and that is always disappointing. It feels like the choice becomes either explore and replay content you've already done (albeit slightly quicker) or just skip that stuff and catch up quickly but KNOW that you're missing valuable items you could use later. It would be nice to not have to make that tradeoff and I think the game could still be enjoyable with checkpoints, even if it is just something like a backup auto-save every 15 minutes or something.

This actually makes it sound like you weren't saving enough in your first playthrough :p

Conezays

I downloaded the game today (PS4 version), and tried to play it.

I obtained the Sword key, but whenever I try to open a door with it, a message pops up saying "You cannot continue until the download is complete".

What download? The game was FULLY downloaded and installed! What's going on?

Tried to restart it. Same crap.

Anyone going through the same issue?

I'm playing on PC, but I had a similar problem happen to me for Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS4. Try checking the info on RE on your Playstation Home Menu. (I think you press Triangle?) Should show how much is installed of the game; DA installed *absurdly* slow and didn't notify me in any way that it was not *completely* installed, to my knowledge.

Top Bottom