• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Does anyone know how to fix "bhd.exe has stopped working" error? The game played fine earlier today and now I can't even launch the game.

master15

Got up to the
armour key
. I echo some of the comments that his game seems harder than I remember simply from a health/item management perspective.

I beat the game a handful of times on the Gamecube but playing on normal although I've avoided most of the enemies outside 2-3 zombies near save room, I made rookie mistake and left one zombie turn crimson and now I am out of handgun and shotgun ammo. How many shots does it take to down a regular zombie? I've seen 4-6 shots, does that sound right?

hertog

Couldn't handle it anymore. I started with Chris, but 6 inventory slots makes the game so goddamn tedious.

I started the game again with Jill, and I realise now why I never completed Resi 1 with Chris.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Couldn't handle it anymore. I started with Chris, but 6 inventory slots makes the game so goddamn tedious.

I started the game again with Jill, and I realise now why I never completed Resi 1 with Chris.

Haha, I'm getting used to it a bit but I do remember never getting far with Chris. All these damn keys.

Finished this for the first time with Chris yesterday. I finally got the hang of dodging around enemies and I started dying a lot less, thank god, haha. I got to say, I really loved this game. It was pretty creepy at times, and having low health all the time really made it feel like I was actually fighting to survive. I miss old survival horror games like this; I wish we could get some more modern games stuff that plays similar to this.

I started the game with Jill on easy to try to do a quick run of it before I get Dying Light, and man do I regret it. It's kind of boringly easy now, and the game gives you a crazy amount of health items. I have almost 10 first aid sprays and I'm about to finish up the Residence, it's insane.

Also, maybe I'm an idiot, but should I have the
grenade launcher
by now? I'm really afraid I missed it ...

have been considering Resident Evil 4 after this... how is the PS3 version? Think it might be the only console I have that has a version available for it. (I have Xbox One, PS3, Vita, Vita TV, 3DS.)

It's as barebones of a port as you can get, it's just the Gamecube release (+PS2 extras) in HD resolution. I don't think there's any AA in place but it's still a lot better looking than the Gamecube or Wii versions on an HDTV.

The PS3 and 360 versions got a lot of flak when they were released due to the lack of any real effort, but unless you really want the Wii's motion controls they are still the best options on console. The ports don't actually suffer from any gamebreaking or technical issues.

grenade launcher

It's next to Forest's corpse.

It's not bad once you know what items you need and where to go. I played through Jill first and now I'm doing a Chris run. The inventory is ok it just means you can't always carry conveniences like health items.

But yeah I don't think I could recommend Chris for a first playthrough

Finished this for the first time with Chris yesterday. I finally got the hang of dodging around enemies and I started dying a lot less, thank god, haha. I got to say, I really loved this game. It was pretty creepy at times, and having low health all the time really made it feel like I was actually fighting to survive. I miss old survival horror games like this; I wish we could get some more modern games stuff that plays similar to this.

I started the game with Jill on easy to try to do a quick run of it before I get Dying Light, and man do I regret it. It's kind of boringly easy now, and the game gives you a crazy amount of health items. I have almost 10 first aid sprays and I'm about to finish up the Residence, it's insane.

grenade launcher

Yep you can grab it once you have the armor key

It's
through one of the doors in the main hall, 2nd floor east side. Go outside and down some steps and there's a dead guy with it. You'll be back in the mansion soon enough though so just grab it then

Bl@de

And iirc a couple days ago someone linked a video of themselves in ceiling room and barry never came, not sure if there's a time limit or glitch or whatever though.[/SPOILER]

It's not a glitch. Barry didin't always save you. There are multiple ways to acquire the shotgun with Jill. If you do some other stuff and are further in the game Barry won't help you anymore. I don't know how to trigger it in the REmake.

Here for the original. May hold true for REmake.
Barry scenes – if you want the Shotgun w/out having to get the Broken Shotgun first, you need to go to the Shotgun room before triggering any other cutscenes with Barry. Get the Shotgun, try to leave, and Barry will save you from the Ceiling Trap.

It's next to Forest's corpse.

Yep you can grab it once you have the armor key

It's
through one of the doors in the main hall, 2nd floor east side. Go outside and down some steps and there's a dead guy with it. You'll be back in the mansion soon enough though so just grab it then

Crap, I forgot to go out there. I'll just pick it up when I get back to the mansion. Thanks for the help! :)

Panzon

I had forgotten how amazing the exploration is in this game. Gonna put it down til (hopefully) tomorrow after work though but cant wait to finish it and then do a speed run to unlock some weapons and those other modes

Big Chungus

Done it!

B8JcOBBIMAEUWPb.jpg:large

How!?

I haven't played this game in so many years, but I still must remember it pretty well to be doing as good as I am. Not getting the amazing clear times that you guys have or anything, but I haven't died yet, and I'm still doing alright on ammo.

I usually always play as Jill, but I decided to do Chris this time for the extra challenge,
and so I could see Rebecca again XD

Rebecca is such a cutie, I wish we'd see her in another game again.

Well you're in luck because rumor is they're remastering RE0. Get ready for some HD Rebecca coming your way.

Yeah, I've seen the rumors about that happening, and I'll gladly pick it up again. I kinda meant that I'd like to see her all grown up in a new game though too. We've had enough of the Chris, Jill, and Leon for a while. Although I am happy that Claire is back too.

Truant

Can regular zombies turn into crimson heads? They're incredibly annoying as they basically run at you before the player has loaded into the view, at least on pc. How do I prevent them from turning into crimson heads?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've seen the rumors about that happening, and I'll gladly pick it up again. I kinda meant that I'd like to see her all grown up in a new game though too. We've had enough of the Chris, Jill, and Leon for a while. Although I am happy that Claire is back too.

The closest you'll get is probably Mercs in RE5 which had her as a playable character.

Can regular zombies turn into crimson heads? They're incredibly annoying as they basically run at you before the player has loaded into the view, at least on pc. How do I prevent them from turning into crimson heads?

Either blow their head off or burn their body. I'm pretty sure killing a zombie with incendiary rounds will also prevent a transformation.

Kuraudo

Banned
I haven't played this game in so many years, but I still must remember it pretty well to be doing as good as I am. Not getting the amazing clear times that you guys have or anything, but I haven't died yet, and I'm still doing alright on ammo.

I usually always play as Jill, but I decided to do Chris this time for the extra challenge,
and so I could see Rebecca again XD

Rebecca is such a cutie, I wish we'd see her in another game again.

I imagine Rebecca has a good chance of showing up in either RE7 or Revelations 3. Capcom have been pretty good lately with revisiting the B-grade characters, what with Sherry and Barry (and even his daughter) showing up.

Yeah, you just gotta burn their bodies with a lighter and kerosine. I left a body laying in a hall for too long earlier, and when I tried to burn it, it jumped up as one of those at me.

The closest you'll get is probably Mercs in RE5 which had her as a playable character.

Yeah, I played a bunch as her in Mercs in RE5. I feel like I'm in the minority on this sometimes, but I fucking love RE5. I played that game so much. It felt like a perfect blend of horror and action. Something RE6 failed at miserably.

Rebecca isn't dead in the canon or anything, is she? why do you think they won't bring her back? =/

I imagine Rebecca has a good chance of showing up in either RE7 or Revelations 3. Capcom have been pretty good lately with revisiting the B-grade characters, what with Sherry and Barry (and even his daughter) showing up.

What's this "b-grade" characters talk?? lol Take that back! If there's one thing I did like about RE6, it was Sherry ^_^

Truant

I feel I made a mistake playing as Chris. The inventory management is a drag with 6 slots, and having to constantly fill those with old keys just makes it worse.

fardeenah

Banned
Does anyone know how to fix "bhd.exe has stopped working" error? The game played fine earlier today and now I can't even launch the game.

right click on the game icon, go to properties, compatibility tab

run in 640 X 480 resolution

just completed the game, it sucks with all these doors and 1 hit death from the enemies, hard to keep track of which door opens what etc. first time playing this game

I'm fine with the save system, I just don't like that it factors into rank or anything like that.

ah yup, that i agree with.

i just spent 3 hours with no ink ribbon on low health finally managed to save. few games have that kind of mechanically based tension these days. quick save and checkpoints would ruin it.

Majmun

No, the ink ribbons suck. It's a very impractical system.

REmake 2 needs the same save and inventory system as RE4.

X-Factor

You have to try to open both doors in the room when the ceiling trap is coming down and Barry will come save Jill.

So Jill and the Shotgun:

My wife is struggling a bit with exploration and it's taking her longer than she'd like to admit on just finding shit. She's pretty late to the shotgun, in fact she already has the grenade launcher so that's kind of backwards. When she found the shotgun and then stepped out to the Jill Sandwich room, Barry did not save her! I'm trying not to spoil the game but I was stunned, so I told her to try it again without saying anything else. Again he did not save her but at least she was able to return to the room and place the shotgun back. She does not have the broken shotgun and I'm actually not sure where to find it. Is this even possible? Did she miss the window for Barry saving her from the ceiling trap? I'm bummed if she won't get to experience the Jill Sandwich line even if they did change it. She recognizes the line since it's quite infamous but I want her to live that moment

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No, the ink ribbons suck. It's a very impractical system.

REmake 2 needs the same save and inventory system as RE4.

If they did that then it wouldn't be RE2 anymore. Some people may find the inventory/save system irritating but they are integral to the game imo.

Majmun

They could make it an option.

I personally can't stand the system anymore. I didn't mind it when I was at school because I had more free time back then. But now the ribbon system can't work because I sometimes have to leave the house for work or other private stuff, and I don't want to leave the console on. Meaning I have to turn off the game and maybe lose hours of progress.

The archaic save and inventory system are the reason why I haven't bought the remaster.

Hobbun

Picked this game up yesterday and enjoyed the short bit of it I played. Only got to the
back out to the main room, looking for the missing Wesker

I have what is probably a silly question, but I keep seeing reference to a difficulty level for the game, I don't remember choosing that. Was that the question that was asked before you started?

TheUsual

Gold Member
Picked this game up yesterday and enjoyed the short bit of it I played. Only got to the
back out to the main room, looking for the missing Wesker

I have what is probably a silly question, but I keep seeing reference to a difficulty level for the game, I don't remember choosing that. Was that the question that was asked before you started?

Correct.

I personally can't stand the system anymore. I didn't mind it when I was at school because I had more free time back then. But now the ribbon system can't work because I sometimes have to leave the house for work or other private stuff, and I don't want to leave the console on. Meaning I have to turn off the game and maybe lose hours of progress.

The archaic save and inventory system are the reason why I haven't bought the remaster.

Just because you aren't capable of adapting to it (and I don't mean that in an offensive way, it sucks that your schedule is getting in the way of the game) doesn't mean it's a flawed or "archaic" (whatever that means) system.

The game gives you a huge amount of ink ribbons on the standard difficulty anyway. Even if you can only play for an hour at a time, realistically you won't ever run out unless you try to abuse the system.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Trying to make it to a save room when your low on health or supplies really adds to the tension of the game. It's shit that you don't have the time to play them, but an easier save system would make the game FAR too easy. Even on default difficulty they give you plenty of ink ribbons, I save fairly often and always end up with a pile of ink ribbons at the end of the game.

Top Bottom