• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Neff

I downloaded the game today (PS4 version), and tried to play it.

I obtained the Sword key, but whenever I try to open a door with it, a message pops up saying "You cannot continue until the download is complete".

What download? The game was FULLY downloaded and installed! What's going on?

Tried to restart it. Same crap.

Anyone going through the same issue?

Same thing happened to me on PS4. The game installs and is playable after an initial 3gb download, and disappears from your download list, but you can only play it until the room with the statue holding the map. Check 'information' for the game with the option button, you'll see how much it's downloaded. After about 10gb or so, you can go through the door and continue.

gelf

Suspend/Resume would be the ideal addition for people who don't have enough time. Used in conjunction with ink ribbons it would stop save scumming but also allow you to stop if life gets in the way.

haikira

Trying to make it to a save room when your low on health or supplies really adds to the tension of the game. It's shit that you don't have the time to play them, but an easier save system would make the game FAR too easy. Even on default difficulty they give you plenty of ink ribbons, I save fairly often and always end up with a pile of ink ribbons at the end of the game.

Yup. I think this is actually the most important reason the series lost it's horror, even more so than control revamp, large amounts of ammo, and so on.

I was really glad that Alien Isolation had a similar system, where you only go back to your last save point, no matter how long ago that was. It would negate those sweaty palm moments, when you're hiding, the alien is lurking around, and you're trying to slowly move from cover to cover without alerting him to your presence. There's really no tension when you know that if you die, you're just going to spawn back to last door, or something similar.

Suspend/Resume would be the ideal addition for people who don't have enough time. Used in conjunction with ink ribbons it would stop save scumming but also allow you to stop if life gets in the way.

Yeah, I agree with this. No reason there couldn't be a save system for the purpose of resuming the game.

If you're finding it really difficult to make any progress the best advice I can give you is to start again on Easy or play with alternate controls. I don't know how to do the "juke" that most people are talking about so what I try to do is stand on one side of a hallway and let the zombie saunter over, then quickly run around the other side of them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't (the hallway just off the dining room, for example, is too narrow to pull this off).

If you're enjoying the tension on Normal then by all means continue playing; as long as you make it further and further in each subsequent try then you'll beat the game eventually. If you're worried about "admitting defeat" then just swallow your damn ego and play on Easy; no one is judging you. You can always go back and play the game again on Normal or Hard once you're done with your first playthrough.
Hey thanks for the advice. I made a bit more progress and got the grenade launcher but got killed
by that damn STARRS guy it was beside when I tried to get the herbs. Tried to save the launcher for later and take him down with the pistol...bad news bears.
I lost a fair bit of progress and gave it a break for a day. I'm going to jump back in today and try get through a sizable chunk..

But yeah, it's not so much my ego, it's just that I thought I would get the hang of things faster than I currently am. I didn't think a couple hours in that I'd be losing progress to a solitary zambie just standing in a hall. It is the unique difficulty that keeps me coming back though. I'll probably do as you suggested and do a "training wheels" playthough on easy if it gets any more frustrating.

This all sounds fairly negative but I am really enjoying what I've played. The sheer atmosphere and tension in certain parts of the mansion is amazing. The design of the place too is fantastic.

Incidentally I was wondering for my futire Chris playthrough, do you just resign yourself to not burning enemies with his inventory? Even ditching save ribbons and key items with Jill, I still find myself pushed for slots. Cheers.

I just
beat the game without saving and did not receive the achievement. Is it because I used infinite rpg and pistol? Do you need a clean save?

Im thinking I should have started on Hard. Ive beat this game like 10x in 2002, but actually got stuck by forgetting where to place the green arrow piece hahahaha. I thought I had this mansion memorized.

Incidentally I was wondering for my futire Chris playthrough, do you just resign yourself to not burning enemies with his inventory? Even ditching save ribbons and key items with Jill, I still find myself pushed for slots. Cheers.

Well Chris gets a lighter instead of the lockpick so you only need to carry the canteen to be able to burn zombies. Once you know your way around the game you'll find you don't actually need to carry much most of the time.

Ishida

Banned
Same thing happened to me on PS4. The game installs and is playable after an initial 3gb download, and disappears from your download list, but you can only play it until the room with the statue holding the map. Check 'information' for the game with the option button, you'll see how much it's downloaded. After about 10gb or so, you can go through the door and continue.

Thanks bro! I left my PS4 on Rest Mode all night, and this morning I could finally access the rest of the mansion. I didn't know that the game only downloaded a portion of the game.

tav7623

I have what is probably a silly question, but I keep seeing reference to a difficulty level for the game, I don't remember choosing that. Was that the question that was asked before you started?

When you first start a new game it asks you a question (How do you like your games?) and they give you three options.

1. Mountain Climbing - fulfilling but takes a lot of work (aka Normal difficulty)
2. Hiking - good exorcise but not too strenuous (aka Easy difficultly)
3. Walking - you can relax and enjoy your self (aka Very Easy difficulty)

Edit: Just realized I goofed this up, but it's fixed now

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So Jill and the Shotgun:

My wife is struggling a bit with exploration and it's taking her longer than she'd like to admit on just finding shit. She's pretty late to the shotgun, in fact she already has the grenade launcher so that's kind of backwards. When she found the shotgun and then stepped out to the Jill Sandwich room, Barry did not save her! I'm trying not to spoil the game but I was stunned, so I told her to try it again without saying anything else. Again he did not save her but at least she was able to return to the room and place the shotgun back. She does not have the broken shotgun and I'm actually not sure where to find it. Is this even possible? Did she miss the window for Barry saving her from the ceiling trap? I'm bummed if she won't get to experience the Jill Sandwich line even if they did change it. She recognizes the line since it's quite infamous but I want her to live that moment

The broken shotgun can be found in a room in the same hallway as the east save room.

And iirc a couple days ago someone linked a video of themselves in ceiling room and barry never came, not sure if there's a time limit or glitch or whatever though.

Barry
will not trigger if you got the acid rounds from him earlier.

I feel I made a mistake playing as Chris. The inventory management is a drag with 6 slots, and having to constantly fill those with old keys just makes it worse.

You only need 3 Old Keys of 4.

When you first start a new game it asks you a question (How do you like your games?) and they give you three options.

1. Mountain Climbing - fulfilling but takes a lot of work (aka Hard difficulty)
2. Hiking - good exorcise but not too strenuous (aka Normal difficultly)
3. Walking - you can relax and enjoy your self (aka Easy difficulty)

Actually its normal, easy and very easy.

Chris_IWS

First sub 3 hour run this time around.

oztppc.png

Wanted to save scam the different endings, but ended up overwriting my save before
the last fight against Lisa with Jill and Barry
, so now I gotta start over. Might as well do it on my Real Survival run now.

So I started off with the new controls and they just don't work for me.

Maybe it's the fixed perspective making the controls more difficult or maybe it's my mind being used to the old controls, or (probably) both, but the original controls are much easier for me to use.

KorrZ

They could make it an option.

I personally can't stand the system anymore. I didn't mind it when I was at school because I had more free time back then. But now the ribbon system can't work because I sometimes have to leave the house for work or other private stuff, and I don't want to leave the console on. Meaning I have to turn off the game and maybe lose hours of progress.

The archaic save and inventory system are the reason why I haven't bought the remaster.

It takes less than 5 minutes to get from anywhere in the mansion to a save room...unless someone is dying (in which case losing progress should be the least of your concerns) I don't see what the big deal is.

x-Lundz-x

Beat the game last night and I'm debating if I want to try for the platinum.

I don't know how I am going to do it without an infinite ammo weapon for the three hour run which can only be unlocked by beating the game in 5 hours right?

There are two unlockables for infinite ammo, the samurai pistol and the rocket launcher correct?

Astral

I don't like the ink ribbons that much either honestly. I get paranoid and like to save often and more than I need to. I'm at 19 saves when it should have probably been around 6 or 7 probably. I don't like how it's factored into the rank at the end. It's mean :(

HiiiLife

RE1 noob here. Fuck that golden arrow for not being able to fit into the wall in the graveyard. I wanna experience it the way everyone else did their first time back then (no strategy guide, tank controls, highest difficulty possible) but damn this game is fucking me up. Lol.

RE1 noob here. Fuck that golden arrow for not being able to fit into the wall in the graveyard. I wanna experience it the way everyone else did their first time back then (no strategy guide, tank controls, highest difficulty possible) but damn this game is fucking me up. Lol.

Examine it bro. A lot of items in this game need to be examined.

Lord Phol

Quick question, there are some zombies/corpses that are just laying around the mansion. Do you need to burn those so they won't turn or are they just props?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I already used all my ink ribbons and my health is all the way down. Guess I gotta start over and check the spot out again.

The tutorial that pops up basically hints at what you should do. Double so with all items in the game (especially the mansion keys if you are playing completely blind) since some items get new item names etc after doing what the tutorial says to do.

The game basically gives you all the tools you need to succeed.

Quick question, there are some zombies/corpses that are just laying around the mansion. Do you need to burn those so they won't turn or are they just props?

Some come back to life when you do something specific. The one in front of the safe room door on the left side of the mansion can be safely ignored, however.

Randam

If something is laying around, you shot it.
And if you don't do anything about it, they will get back up again.

HiiiLife

So what do you recommend for zombies when playing as Jill? I'm still trying to find the lighter and stronger guns on my own, and juking them is becoming a hassle. When I first booted the game I was avoiding them stupid easy with the "alternate" controls but like I said...I'm committing to tank controls.

So what do you recommend for zombies when playing as Jill? I'm still trying to find the lighter and stronger guns on my own, and juking them is becoming a hassle. When I first booted the game I was avoiding them stupid easy with the "alternate" controls but like I said...I'm committing to tank controls.

Stick with juking until you get the shotgun. If you kill any make sure you kill the ones in areas you will be traversing a lot and just burn them when you get fuel. Only kill ones off the beaten path if you're sure you won't go back there.

I played REmake right before the HD version was announced and in my play through I didn't encounter a single crimson head of my own creation.

Nemesis_

But players should be able to get the best rank on their first playthrough. :(((

I don't believe this at all. If you can get the highest rank on something your first time through then the skill ceiling is too low imo

In fact REmake is the most relaxed of the games. Others don't even let you use a First Aid Spray to get the highest rank...

Astral

Some come back to life when you do something specific. The one in front of the safe room door on the left side of the mansion can be safely ignored, however.

What's the deal with that one? He bothered me so much, just laying there in front of my little haven like it's all good.

Shotgun is best for zombies because you can aim up when they get close and blow their heads off. You need to find the first couple of mansion keys before you can grab it though.

What's the deal with that one? He bothered me so much, just laying there in front of my little haven like it's all good.

To make us nervous. It worked on me back in '98! Not this time though, Capcom! lol

If something is laying around, you shot it.
And if you don't do anything about it, they will get back up again.

There is only one zombie I know of that actually gets up on its own (
the zombie in front of the hallway you get the armor key in
). The others either require you to examine something first (
the itchy tasty closet and the zombie in the bathroom of the residence after taking key
) or simply don't get up at all. This isn't like RE6 where some of them will randomly grab you when you're walking by.

Chris_IWS

Okay, I just selected Chris' BSAA costume for the first time. I know we joke about how he 'roided up over the years, but goddamn! It's almost to the point where I don't think it was a good idea to put it in the game. It looks so out of place.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
People using first aid sprays when there is generally enough green herbs.

#icant

Is there a difference between using a green/red herb or a first aid spray? For that matter, is there a difference between green/red herb and green/green or green/green/green?

Okay, I just selected Chris' BSAA costume for the first time. I know we joke about how he 'roided up over the years, but goddamn! It's almost to the point where I don't think it was a good idea to put it in the game. It looks so out of place.

BSAA Chris is best Chris.

#RE5forlife

KorrZ

Make sure you examine everything, and from all different angles. A lot of items in this game require you to examine a specific spot on them. If you don't learn this the game is going to screw you lol.

Top Bottom