• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

BSAA chris doesn't even make sense in RE1. The BSAA was founded after the fall of Umbrella. Way after RE1. It's just stupid to put it in the game. On your screenshot you can see the BSAA logo on Chris, while Jill and Wesker have Stars logos. It's like Capcom doesn't give a crap anymore.

Jill's RE3 costume makes no sense! Why would a professional cop wear those clothes when going out on an investigation? Everyone else is dressed in their S.T.A.R.S uniforms. Capcom is really stupid.

/s

Secret costumes are supposed to be fun or can be fan service (Sometime both in the case of sailor Chris). Lighten up.

Arsenic13

Your avatar kind of reminds me of Sailor Chris.

image.php

/dead

People need to lighten up about bonus unlockable costumes, jesus.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is fabulous. the best costume in the history of costumes..

FTFY.

It and Safari Chris = great outfits.

If you think this is bad, look at the Mad Max Chris outfit. Capcom pandering to the fanbase hard.

Randam

I started playing this yesterday and following GAF's recommendation I went for tank controls. I'm having a very hard time to adapt to them, though. I'll try to stick to it to see if I adapt, but I'm seriously considering switching to the Alternative.

what is there to adapting to??

BSAA chris doesn't even make sense in RE1. The BSAA was founded after the fall of Umbrella. Way after RE1. It's just stupid to put it in the game. On your screenshot you can see the BSAA logo on Chris, while Jill and Wesker have Stars logos. It's like Capcom doesn't give a crap anymore.

qft.
and no, say it is okay, because of other stupid outfits doesn't make it better.
mafia leon and sailor chris are what they are, just costumes.

but the BSAA Outfit is part of the RE Canon.
but like said, it doesn't make sense to put it in RE 1.

Mr_Zombie

mafia leon and sailor chris are what they are, just costumes.

but the BSAA Outfit is part of the RE Canon.
but like said, it doesn't make sense to put it in RE 1.

RE3 Jill is also part of the RE canon and yet I don't see people complaining about Jill wearing tube top and mini skirt during mission.
Neither did I saw complains about Leon wearing RPD uniform in RE4 when RPD officially was no more and he wasn't even a cop at the time.
And about that time when you could play as STARS Chris in RE5, when in reality Chris was in BSAA?

It's just a costume. A fanservice.

First playthrough in 5-6 years resulted in 4:40 clear time.

My second playthrough is doing much better, already up to the
Crimson Head Prototype 1
in less than 30 minutes I believe. Feels great speedrunning again :)

Sanctuary

Was this game cropped to get the 16:9 aspect ratio? I played it for about three hours last night, and I think it both looks better than I expected, yet also has too many crushed blacks going on.

Anyway, I don't remember aiming being so difficult. Admittedly I probably played this the least of the series (beat it twice and moved on), but I am having a hell of a time with head shots, because once a zombie gets close enough for them, it seems like its head and my gun are no longer on the screen if it's a side view.

I also don't recall the knife being this terrible. Knife attacks seemed to do way more and were easier to aim in the original RE 1-3 and then even 0. I can't seem to use the knife in this without getting grabbed at least once, if I didn't unload many bullets beforehand.

Randam

RE3 Jill is also part of the RE canon and yet I don't see people complaining about Jill wearing tube top and mini skirt during mission.
Neither did I saw complains about Leon wearing RPD uniform in RE4 when RPD officially was no more and he wasn't even a cop at the time.
And about that time when you could play as STARS Chris in RE5, when in reality Chris was in BSAA?

It's just a costume. A fanservice.
What about Leon's RPD suit in 4 or Sherry's schoolgirl outfit in 6?

re1 takes place only a few weeks before re3, so it is possible she already owned that dress at that point in time.

and it would be possible, that leon kept his uniform.

but like said before, BSAA was founded years after RE1.

and yes, I'm dead serious.
stuff like that annoys me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
re1 takes place only a few weeks before re3, so it is possible she already owned that dress at that point in time.

I feel you.

I wonder why they didn't include Chris' S.T.A.R.S. costume from RE5. New design of Chris with old costume.

Bl@de

Concerning the dress of Jill: As far as I know she was not on duty when the outbreak happened. So she just wears her normal clothes. I think she was even on a way to a date
Concerning my Chris BSAA statement: You can select it from the beginning as a option like the characters themself. And not as a unlockable for a special achievement. This was handled by the closet key for finishing the game. That's why it bothers me. They just change things up without making it fit into the game like it was before.

Just finished on hard. Got the best ending as Chris. I'm really hoping to see RE2 HD and RE3 HD hit steam.

I guess to satisfy my RE needs, in the meantime, I'll hit up RE4 HD and then RE revelations.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Absolutely loving this game, haven't played a game like this in years probably MGS or RE4 was last time I was engrossed into a game so much, it like when I played it the first time 20 years ago.
Hope RE0 HD is coming, also I'm guessing by todays standards a REmake 2 - 3 HD for this gen with pre-rendered backgrounds an redone VA would actually be a budget title or cheap to make?
Either way as much as love RE4 this shows how much the new games suck compared to Classic RE style.

^^
Nice avatar, looks familiar

Mr_Zombie

So, I've just run into a bug (or at least I think it's a bug):

I "killed" Crimson Head with a shot to the head from a shotgun. Crimson Head lost his head. But he then stood up, run at me and killed me with a single slash. :|

-MD-

also I'm guessing by todays standards a REmake 2 - 3 HD for this gen with pre-rendered backgrounds an redone VA would actually be a budget title or cheap to make?

It would be a pretty big project, definitely not cheap.

TGO

It would be a pretty big project, definitely not cheap.
I'm sure it'll be a big project, but I mean the cost of games these days both must be cheaper to make then RE7 would.

Jawmuncher

The hell is going on in here. Complaining about alt costumes the hell. we obviously know which ones are canon why get hung up on anything else in the game?

Oh man Chris has his CVX outfit and I don't think he had bought those clothes yet when REmake happens.

II guess I can understand getting mad that you can select it in the beginning of the game but there's a reason for that. They more than likely didn't want to mess with anything in the game itself so adding them both to the outfit closet was probably more hassle than just letting people start with it.

gconsole

You need to stop playing video game. Seriously. Especially one from japan.

gconsole

I'm sure it'll be a big project, but I mean the cost of games these days both must be cheaper to make then RE7 would.

No. Not really. The amount of resource and money to build all those backgrounds and character is not cheap. Actually almost everything will cost similar to making full RE game. Being pretender background, does not make any cheaper. Actually it's even more expensive.

But why is the dress hidden in some secret room that even the almighty sir spencer didn't know about! whyyyy

It isn't canon.

Haunted

New controls are nice.

Some of the backgrounds look ace (though static), others are pretty garbage.

Would've liked more costumes, weapons, godmode, cheats etc unlocked or unlockable from the start. It's a game I've already beaten several times, new version makes me want to just check it out at my leisure. (maybe there'll be trainers...)

HeelPower

Okay, I just selected Chris' BSAA costume for the first time. I know we joke about how he 'roided up over the years, but goddamn! It's almost to the point where I don't think it was a good idea to put it in the game. It looks so out of place.

BSAA Lost in Nightmares Chris is toned down from his original RE5 outfit.

Its a perfect balance imo.

lilty

Hey all,

Does anyone know if the PS3 version will work the DualShock 4 controller? I greatly prefer the 4 to the 3, but don't have a PS4.

So, I've just run into a bug (or at least I think it's a bug):

I "killed" Crimson Head with a shot to the head from a shotgun. Crimson Head lost his head. But he then stood up, run at me and killed me with a single slash. :|

Hard to remember if crimson heads still had some functions or not when their head was blown off, going to say no since that's the key in killing zombies. Interesting bug though.

TGO

No. Not really. The amount of resource and money to build all those backgrounds and character is not cheap. Actually almost everything will cost similar to making full RE game. Being pretender background, does not make any cheaper. Actually it's even more expensive.
Really? I thought a game built like a 2002 game minus the artwork being saved in a higher resolution (which I'm sure wont cost them millions just by saving it in a high resolution )would be cheaper, guess our only hope would be if Capcoms see value in doing it, which is unlikely :(

Well, I can finally say I finished the first Resident Evil. Wanted to post my thoughts on it post-play.

First, to give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I've been gaming since videogames were a thing (I'm 50). For whatever reason though I never played the RE series until RE4, which I adore and have played through at least ten times. I played through RE5 a number of times, and really enjoyed it as well. I only played through RE6 once, but I mean to go back to it. It was a big departure from 4 and 5, I felt, but I think it has merit and want to devote some time to it some day.

I thought the Remaster looked amazing. Capcom should be applauded for the work they did on it. Just a fantastic job.

I loved the puzzles, for the most part. Some of them were a bit obtuse, but I thought most of them were well thought out and fair. The recent REs have got nothing on RE1 in terms of the puzzles.

I played through on Very Easy. In hindsight it was way too easy. That's my fault though, I can't knock the game for that. I always had tons of ammo and ribbons to save.

The combat was "meh." No skill thanks to the auto-aim, so it took a lot of the tension out of it for me. Do the harder difficulties remove the auto-aim?

I missed upgrading weapons. That's a fun part of the game for me in 4 & 5, and I missed it.

Like all RE games, the atmosphere and level design was top-notch. Superb.

Fuck having key items take up one of your six slots. That added nothing more than annoyance. I'd run around with my weapons and ammo in my inventory and the key items stored in a box, so it was constant schlepping back to the box for shit. And fuck whoever came up with the idea of the doorknob breaking to make the trek back to the box even longer.

The need for ribbons was annoying. Sure , it adds some tension, but just make it like RE4 where you need to find a typewriter, that adds tension enough.

Great game! I had a fun time with it, $20 well spent. Glad I finally experienced the original, I see why people call it a masterpiece and why it spawned a franchise.

Dude, you -need- to replay the game with Chris on normal mode (mountain hike). With your knowledge of the game from playing it as Jill, all these complaints you have will then in turn make sense. It's like a pre-pubescent kid not knowing why girls are hot. And then...it hits him.

Astral

I finally beat the game with Jill. It took me 11 hours though. Oh well, it was my first time playing the game. Hopefully I didn't already forget the layout of the mansion. Now onto Chris!

Bl@de

II guess I can understand getting mad that you can select it in the beginning of the game but there's a reason for that. They more than likely didn't want to mess with anything in the game itself so adding them both to the outfit closet was probably more hassle than just letting people start with it.

They redid rooms in complete 3D and added new lightning. An extra costume in the closet is way easier. But we know why they did it. Re5 and 6 sold a lot of copies and many new players only know bsaa chris ... Just trying to appeal to people who prefer the newer action-oriented titles. And new game plus features are not used by a lot of people.

Top Bottom