• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think they are, though they look terrible.
The first intro cutscene is ok if a little soft but the rest looks like some early YouTube stuff, although I remember the GCN not being very good with FMV's and I'm sure most of the black areas was present in the GCN versions too but not as bad, it's like they increased it to hide the really bad banding the GCN had due to its limited colour range which I'm sure REmake was built around, this is all guess work btw

Skullface

This game. I've never been so stressed playing a video game. Shit... I got my throat torn out by a dog. It's only the second time I died. First time was an accidental suicide due to me having shot a dog with a flash grenade in it's mouth. I had no idea those fuckers could be insta kills.

OK, guys, I think I may have run into an issue. I can't find the Stone and Metal Object.
(The one in the coffin.)
I have the Metal Object (the standalone item), and have searched both my inventory and the
coffin
. Nothing. What do I do?!

Danielsan

Started on my Jill run today after having beaten it with Chris yesterday. I'm honestly a bit shocked by all the difference. Such as
Richard coming in to help you against Yawn, and the proceeding to get eaten and leave you a shotgun
. I'm now wondering if I only ever beat the game with Chris back in the day.

Bumhead

Banned
Wait? The speed runs have to be on normal mode?

To get the infinite ammo weapons, yeah.

Last question regarding the knife only run, and probably a stupid one. The trophy listing mentions no lighter. That's strictly with regards to the disposal of zombies, right? I can use it on non-lethal items such as
the fireplace to get the second floor map
, right?

HeelPower

This game. I've never been so stressed playing a video game. Shit... I got my throat torn out by a dog. It's only the second time I died. First time was an accidental suicide due to me having shot a dog with a flash grenade in it's mouth. I had no idea those fuckers could be insta kills.

Yeah the dogs are lethal.

Always best to avoid them or fight them with a shotgun.

Dai101

Banned
OK, guys, I think I may have run into an issue. I can't find the Stone and Metal Object.
(The one in the coffin.)
I have the Metal Object (the standalone item), and have searched both my inventory and the
coffin

Have you
already the stone ring?
?

I do not -- am I supposed to have that before getting the Metal Object from the
coffin
? It's been a while since I've played REmake, but I thought you get that after
placing the masks and fighting the boss

Are you trying to get past the gate under the stairs in the main entrance? If so
Be sure to grab the jewelry box from under Lisa's cabin, before climbing the ladder taking you back up to the actual cabin. The area right after you have to put the broken flamethrower in the door to proceed. Its VERY easy to miss

Chris_IWS

Default Chris is bland as fuck. BSAA Chris 4 Lyfe.
In a way, this actually makes my point better than I did myself originally. RE was a game about "ordinary" people thrown into a horrific situation, and putting BSAA Chris in here just goes to show how much of a departure Capcom made in the later games.

This is not a slight against those games though. I enjoyed the hell out of RE5. I think they're just 2 great tastes that don't taste great together, aesthetically speaking. IMO, of course.

Xpliskin

Encountered a rather bizarre glitch while playing today, and I guess you could call it 'game breaking' because it led me to reset the game, because I was completely stuck. Rather annoying considering the progress I'd made, but I'm not massively angry, because I'm still having fun.

Still, the glitch is shown here :

http://youtu.be/SPIhsR_bie0

and I encountered it in the following way (spoilers for sake of people who haven't played) :

I had progressed up to the point where you are leaving the mansion area and heading towards the guardhouse. I had got through the first door without any issues, and I picked up the items I required from the room. I then proceeded onwards towards the next room, and that's when things got weird. After the door opening animation, the room was revealed to be completely pitch black, the only visible objects being Jill and some moths. At first I thought it might be a part of the game, but then I noticed that the room didn't seem to have any boundaries, as I could practically run forever in every direction. I was trapped, so I eventually reset the game.

Haven't played again yet, so I can't report if it's still present, but I'll update if anything has changed.

Daaaaamn.

OK this has to be the "play while downloading game on the fly" feature messing up.

Did you get the "not/still downloading" message on any previous doors ?

Bl@de

In a way, this actually makes my point better than I did myself originally. RE was a game about "ordinary" people thrown into a horrific situation, and putting BSAA Chris in here just goes to show how much of a departure Capcom made in the later games.

This is not a slight against those games though. I enjoyed the hell out of RE5. I think they're just 2 great tastes that don't taste great together, aesthetically speaking. IMO, of course.

Agree. I also like RE5 a lot. But mixing it ... Meh

Dai101

Banned
I do not -- am I supposed to have that before getting the Metal Object from the
coffin
? It's been a while since I've played REmake, but I thought you get that after
placing the masks and fighting the boss

How far in the game are you? The stone ring is the last item you need to before
You actually have to fight Lisa (or not) and go to the labs.

Doc Az

Neo Member
Daaaaamn.

OK this has to be the "play while downloading game on the fly" feature messing up.

Did you get the "not/still downloading" message on any previous doors ?

I have been playing the game while downloading, but there's been no messages of those type anywhere in the game. Willing to bet that's the issue though.

They really shouldn't allow you to play it like that, I mean, if it makes the game unplayable at a certain point, without a warning. I'll just let the game finish downloading completely before I touch it again, just in case it happens later down the line.

Tesseract

Banned
this fucking game, they don't make survival horror like this anymore. thank you, capcom.

maybe if it sells well they'll put some money into a re2 remake.

artsi

RE was a game about "ordinary" people thrown into a horrific situation, and putting BSAA Chris in here just goes to show how much of a departure Capcom made in the later games.

I agree that the original Chris fits better to his role as a young marksman, they don't need to be buff, but don't know about ordinary since they're supposed to be elite special forces after all.

Chris_IWS

I agree that the original Chris fits better to his role as a young marksman, they don't need to be buff, but don't know about ordinary since they're supposed to be elite special forces after all.
That's what the quote marks were for. :p
Edit: Again, I'm mostly talking aesthetics here.

KalBalboa

Banned
Just finished as Jill on easy today.

Didn't realize I was on easy mode until about 4-5 hours in. It was around then when I picked up on how much ammo I'd accrued. It too me about 12 hours, I'm embarrassed to admit, but this was my first time playing the 2002 version, after all. Really enjoyed it and hope to see Resident Evil 2 receive the same treatment someday.

Szadek

Ordinary as in they don't have superpowers or something like that.
A single enemy can still be challenge for them.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
(The one in the coffin.)
coffin

Check by the door that goes to the Courtyard/Residence.

But there's a difference between ordinary and bland. Chris in Remake falls squarely into the latter category. Barry, for instance, looks ordinary, but his design isn't bland like Chris' (at least IMO).

Levito

Banned
Has anyone found a decent achievement guide for the game? I've played the game a million times but stuff like the Knife Only trophy isn't something I've ever done before.

in fantasyland where capcom doesnt suck ass they would do a remake where re2 and re3 are combined into one game

i would think a REmake 2 would be in the cards if the sales are good enough for this game. the question is how do you price it? it can't be $20 because it's going to cost a lot more to make, but $60 would be asking an awful lot. can't see a ton of non-RE faithfuls shelling out 3x more for a REmake 2. i fear that may never come. hopefully the rumored RE0 remaster is in the cards. i would definitely put money on the RE4 pc release from last year being ported to PS4/XB1

Skullface

Fuck fuck fuck. Those zombie moans make me terribly uneasy. Then the first time a zombie comes back as a crimson head. It happened to me while trying to set one on fire.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i would think a REmake 2 would be in the cards if the sales are good enough for this game. the question is how do you price it? it can't be $20 because it's going to cost a lot more to make, but $60 would be asking an awful lot. can't see a ton of non-RE faithfuls shelling out 3x more for a REmake 2. i fear that may never come. hopefully the rumored RE0 remaster is in the cards. i would definitely put money on the RE4 pc release from last year being ported to PS4/XB1
They won't do re2 based on sales of this. This would have to truly blow the doors off the joint to justify a full scale production. I mean like two million sales or so. That's what that shitfest operation raccoon city sold.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fuck fuck fuck. Those zombie moans make me terribly uneasy. Then the first time a zombie comes back as a crimson head. It happened to me while trying to set one on fire.
I know. Man, I can't even figure out how to set them on fire. I killed every single one I saw. I think I'm screwed.

I paid full price for Remake when it came out, as long as it's a disc release I'd 100% pay the same.

Levito

Banned
Do you all think Capcom in it's current mindset would make a true to form Resident Evil 2 remake? Cause if they did infact remake it, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be like REmake. It would be an over the shoulder reimaging of RE2 that played like RE4 or Revelations.

Honestly, I think the ship for a "RE2make" sailed back when Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya left Capcom.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
REmake 2 is never going to happen. REmake HD is nice and all, but by today's standards still looks dated compared to AAA games. RE2 has no such assets to work off of, so they'd have to start from scratch.

Meaning a full-scale production of 4 campaigns, generating new models and textures, design work, everything. They'd have to spend at least 5 million bucks, probably more, depending on just how high they were aiming. Armchair guesstimating obviously. But I mean, at that point, you're already at a point where you need it to be a big success to be profitable. And you're not going to get the sales you need with a remake of a 16 year-old game, that's not a sexy sell. So they could either do the Grim Fandango HD thing (which uses most of the original assets afaik, but has some new lighting and stuff) or go full Remake, but by 2015 standards, which is very expensive and a hard sell for a game in a genre that has fallen out of mainstream favor.

6280D8AAF931911FB629AFA43B134BC998BF4277

I don't wanna save Chris...I just wanna keep playing as Rebecca XD
So cute

I would take any kind of retooling of RE2 and RE3 if it meant that they would look better on an HDTV, even if they're not full blown remakes. Do that, give them trophies, I'm completely dtf

Doc Az

Neo Member
I can see RE0 happening way before RE2make, I mean, considering how much easier it is to port a game. As much as I want RE2make, I've basically resigned to the fact that it's never going to happen.

Skullface

I know. Man, I can't even figure out how to set them on fire. I killed every single one I saw. I think I'm screwed.

Infinity Patriot is correct:

Get the canteen, get the lighter, fill canteen up with kerosene, stand over dead zombie and press "use" on canteen.

There are several gas canisters that you can fill your canteen up with. It's a little more challenging than it sounds though. You can only carry enough to burn 2 zombies at a time. The gas canisters can't be picked up like items and are spread out apart for each other. The good news is that you can still burn crimson heads after you drop them.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Man, the backgrounds in that section looked rough.

I actually thought they looked pretty good. Really, the only ones that bother me are scenes that have pre-rendered flowing water since it seems to only have a few frames of animation. It looks really out of place against the 60fps models.

HeelPower

go full Remake, but by 2015 standards, which is very expensive and a hard sell for a game in a genre that has fallen out of mainstream favor.

How about have actually good level design ,art direction and exploration in their games ?

I think they just need to focus back on these elements and make the games less about thrusting through hallways studded with enemies.

Regardless of wanting to Remake RE2 or go back to fixed camera angles,Capcom needs to improve their games.

Jawmuncher

Do you all think Capcom in it's current mindset would make a true to form Resident Evil 2 remake? Cause if they did infact remake it, I'm fairly certain it wouldn't be like REmake. It would be an over the shoulder reimaging of RE2 that played like RE4 or Revelations.

Honestly, I think the ship for a "RE2make" sailed back when Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya left Capcom.
Exactly what I think as well. If RE2make happens it's going to be a over the shoulder reimagining. That's not to say it couldn't work.
Biggest issue would be the melee which is now the action side staple of the series.

Grief.exe

They won't do re2 based on sales of this. This would have to truly blow the doors off the joint to justify a full scale production. I mean like two million sales or so. That's what that shitfest operation raccoon city sold.

The positive side is Capcom already has the tools in place. They have the engine completely ported over to MT Framework, which includes much of the lighting, animations, and AI necessary for RE2.
They also obviously have the pipeline to create the backgrounds in 3D.

Top Bottom