• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can you get away with not burning the bodies in the Residence since you're not there as long?

I pretty much ditch the lighter + kerosene for the rest of the game after I first leave the mansion.

Oof, that's going to be quite a difficulty spike, isn't it? I mean, Chris is considered a harder play through in general, right?

To an extent, yeah. But you still have a solid grasp of the game after playing with Jill, and Chris can take more hits which makes the actual difficulty jump not as bad. The hardest part is just adjusting to his small inventory and dealing with some more keys.

Still having trouble figuring out how to get the elevator in the mansion part of the map to be not red. Trying to get 100% completion on this run. I'll buy someone a Jill sandwich if they can help.

Started playing the game and here are my impressions so far:

1. Yes, jill's jello chest is silly and distracting. Maybe made worse by sped up animations?

2. The 16:9 resolution works surprisingly well. The game is just as stunning as ever.

3. Except for when some in game models (statues, etc) are still using textures that would be relatively low res for even the ps2 era.

4. Yeah, the dogs do seem different. Maybe just sped up, making them difficult to hit and do damage at a faster rate?

Chris_IWS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxO_fBF6lo

I know this as old as the internet itself almost, but I still laugh my ass off at this silly audio clip lol

My friend brought it to my attention while I was playing this on steam lol

This is my... "first time"... hearing this. Funny stuff.

So, I still haven't done a full run through as Chris on normal.
Does suicide bomber Forrest still appear in NG+ in this version? I thought this unlocked after the first completion, but it's been a while, and maybe it was after completing it with both on Normal or higher.

Someone mentioned recently, and I regret that I forget who but it was in that Grim Fandango trophies thread (as that game can be played with "tank controls"), that the tank controls are actually superior than any other control method in Resident Evil and I completely agree. I spent the first 2/3 of the game playing with the new alternate method (free directional control). I recently switched over to Type-C, and I find it vastly superior. Sure, I've had that experience of playing these games with their original controls, but the way that the game's forward momentum in addition to the fixed angles are set up, I think that the free directional controls are too wonky and I constantly found myself having to readjust the forward direction upon each angle switch, and there are a lot.

While this is just an opinion, I think it's insane and even a little beautiful at how the originally-intended control method that so many people hate and can't seem to grasp are, at least for me, the absolute best way to play this game.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
For those using the door skip mod, what's your fastest time so far? Here's mine but kind of lamed it with the Samurai Edge and 9 saves (didn't die but it made it much less risky):

q7QPBIE.jpg

Someone mentioned recently, and I regret that I forget who but it was in that Grim Fandango trophies thread (as that game can be played with "tank controls"), that the tank controls are actually superior than any other control method in Resident Evil and I completely agree. I spent the first 2/3 of the game playing with the new alternate method (free directional control). I recently switched over to Type-C, and I find it vastly superior. Sure, I've had that experience of playing these games with their original controls, but the way that the game's forward momentum in addition to the fixed angles are set up, I think that the free directional controls are too wonky and I constantly found myself having to readjust the forward direction upon each angle switch, and there are a lot.

While this is just an opinion, I think it's insane and even a little beautiful at how the originally-intended control method that so many people hate and can't seem to grasp are, at least for me, the absolute best way to play this game.

i tried the new controls for like a minute and couldn't do it. having to constantly reorient yourself to the angles is terrible IMO. tank controls are a little clunky in combat scenarios, but i honestly don't think the alternative is that great at all. but i've played all the old RE games around release so it's second nature to me

TheUsual

Gold Member
Oof, that's going to be quite a difficulty spike, isn't it? I mean, Chris is considered a harder play through in general, right?

To be fair, I did play part of the game as Chris on Normal (never finished;
got to Enrico and stopped there
) when it came back out on Gamecube back in the day. Playing as Jill has really helped me refresh myself with the game.

Dai101

Banned
For those using the door skip mod, what's your fastest time so far? Here's mine but kind of lamed it with the Samurai Edge and 9 saves (didn't die but it made it much less risky):

http://i.imgur.com/q7QPBIE.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Mod is useless since time stops at doors/elevators/anykindofloading

i tried the new controls for like a minute and couldn't do it. having to constantly reorient yourself to the angles is terrible IMO. tank controls are a little clunky in combat scenarios, but i honestly don't think the alternative is that great at all. but i've played all the old RE games around release so it's second nature to me

I'd agree. At first it seemingly felt nice, like I had more freedom, but these games were simply not designed for that due to the prerendered backgrounds and frequently changing camera angles. I just think it's mindblowing how while it's definitely arguable that tank controls aren't ideal thus turning some people off from playing these, that they're still, IMO, easily the best and even easiest way to play.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Made some good progress in my game today. When I started playing I had just gotten the Armor Key, and by the time I put the game down I had just fought
Yawn
and gathered up the four
Death Masks
. I've explored pretty much every single room that I can in the mansion, and I solidified my favorite routes through the mansion, which will help in my next playthroughs. I should really kill that first zombie you come across in the game, the one who hangs out in the hallway by the dining room. I keep thinking I'll be able to dodge him but I've used probably three defense items on his dumb ass. I'll definitely be taking him out the next time I play. I've also found it's super helpful to kill the
Crimson Head and decapitate the fat zombie
in the arrowhead hallway. I use that hallway probably more than any other hallway on the west side of the mansion.

Man, I've forgotten what a great a game this is. I'll definitely be playing it on Normal next, since I have 100+ handgun ammo right now on Easy. To be fair though I'm avoiding killing zombies as much as possible, probably more than I should. Still, I'm doing pretty well so far (no deaths) so I'm gonna keep up with it.

Made some good progress in my game today. When I started playing I had just gotten the Armor Key, and by the time I put the game down I had just fought
Yawn
and gathered up the four
Death Masks
. I've explored pretty much every single room that I can in the mansion, and I solidified my favorite routes through the mansion, which will help in my next playthroughs. I should really kill that first zombie you come across in the game, the one who hangs out in the hallway by the dining room. I keep thinking I'll be able to dodge him but I've used probably three defense items on his dumb ass. I'll definitely be taking him out the next time I play. I've also found it's super helpful to kill the
Crimson Head and decapitate the fat zombie
in the arrowhead hallway. I use that hallway probably more than any other hallway on the west side of the mansion.

Man, I've forgotten what a great a game this is. I'll definitely be playing it on Normal next, since I have 100+ handgun ammo right now on Easy. To be fair though I'm avoiding killing zombies as much as possible, probably more than I should. Still, I'm doing pretty well so far (no deaths) so I'm gonna keep up with it.
Even in normal and hard it's extremely easy to end up with a huge excess of handgun ammo. I usually dump the handgun as soon as I acquire a shotgun.

~Kinggi~

Banned
How many in this thread is it the first time playing? Never even realized there was this huge segment of people that never played the game...but i guess it makes sense being only on the gamecube and wii. Reading all the posts is entertaining.

How many in this thread is it the first time playing? Never even realized there was this huge segment of people that never played the game...but i guess it makes sense being only on the gamecube and wii. Reading all the posts is entertaining.

"Why can't Resident Evil walk forward?"

-MD-

I think it only sold like 1.3m on the cube so loads of people missed out on it.

"Why can't Resident Evil walk forward?"

rofl

So, I got the "second" Stone and Metal Object (the one you have to put together), yet the first is still nowhere to be found.
I have checked the coffin (even though I remember picking it up after the fight with the prototype), my inventory, and my chest - multiple times.
I guess I was mistaken in thinking I had it, because apparently, I don't. Somehow. I really don't know what to do other than start over.

-MD-

So, I got the "second" Stone and Metal Object (the one you have to put together), yet the first is still nowhere to be found.
I have checked the coffin (even though I remember picking it up after the fight with the prototype), my inventory, and my chest - multiple times.
I guess I was mistaken in thinking I had it, because apparently, I don't. Somehow. I really don't know what to do other than start over.

Did you check the path leading to the courtyard?

KalBalboa

Banned

I've beaten the PSone original twice but never really played the GameCube version. Finished it today.

x-Lundz-x

It's in the wall at the door to the entrance of the courtyard / residence.

If you've found the second one, maybe you should go back to the door that leads into the
residence and cabin areas
. Maybe you left something stuck in the wall around that area. :)

Did you check the path leading to the courtyard?

It's in the wall at the door to the entrance of the courtyard / residence.

If you've found the second one, maybe you should go back to the door that leads into the
residence and cabin areas
. Maybe you left something stuck in the wall around that area. :)

Holy. Fucking. Shit. I am such a fucking idiot. Ban me, please.

(THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! So, THAT'S what people were talking about... :lol :lol :lol)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

I never played the PS1 original but I did beat the GC game back in the day. I've been meaning to replay it on my Wii for a few years now so the remaster is pretty timely. I'm looking forward to RE0 though since I've never played that one.

DukeBobby

I completed the PS1 version several times (most recently, just before Christmas on my Vita), but I only played an hour of the Gamecube version back in 2002.

Finally beat it yesterday, and started a Chris playthrough straight after. Brilliant game.

Top Bottom