• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

Sweet. Planning on getting platinum for this. Knife only and Real survivor have me worried. D:

Real Survivor isn't TOO bad as long as you use your ink ribbons carefully and don't spread your inventory around too many chests. For the Dorms you really only need to take a few things with you. The hardest thing to deal with IMO was the manual aiming. And the fact that I couldn't bring my Samurai Edge with me :(

5olid_5nake

My first post in this magnificent forum, good to be here finally.
Just wanted to say that i'm playing this game and having a blast, takes me back in time when I was playing this back in the day.

One more playthrough for Jill RE3 outfit ;D .

My first post in this magnificent forum, good to be here finally.
Just wanted to say that i'm playing this game and having a blast, takes me back in time when I was playing this back in the day.

One more playthrough for Jill RE3 outfit ;D .

One thing that sucks about unlockable costumes like that for me, especially since you have to play through it twice to even it get it, is I wish I could play the game with it, but by the time I get it...I'll have felt I experienced the whole game more than enough already that I won't even want to play it a third time to have it with that outfit. Wish it was just unlocked from the start in this release of it.

^You can mod it in or dl a save if you're on PC

Hm, I wasn't sure if save files were locked or anything...If someone has one for Jill they'd wanna share, I'd love that ^_^

I don't wanna mod it, because that sounds harder for me to figure out lol

Edit:

Well I decided to look up the modmanager available for RE games...finally figured it out. Yay!

D9BFA4E6C7AAD273A6DFB9E15AF979F75E60751E

Miniskirt Jill is best Jill ^_^

What are the differences in the Chris campaign other than no lockpick, smaller inventory and being slightly more powerful?

Seem to recall Barry doesn't help you out.

Have you seen the leaderboards on the PC? all at 00:00:00. Damn them cats is quick.
Any chance they are going to reset them, or is it a lost cause now?
Capcom doesn't give a shit. I booted up Umbrella Chronicles yesterday and the leaderboards were the same story.

Also, there are similar times on the PS4 version so I'm curious as to how they are doing that.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys, the system requirements for this game are bizarre.

Would it run on a 9600GT? I have 8 Euros of Steam credit to burn!

Edit: So you don't think the rest of my rig is from 2004 I'm running on 4gB of 1600mhz ram and an FX-6300.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So. Just defeated the
Crimson Head Prototype in the coffin after finding all of the death masks.

About how far into the game am I?

Jinjo

So. Just defeated the
Crimson Head Prototype in the coffin after finding all of the death masks.

About how far into the game am I?

Maybe 1/4 of the way. Can't remember exactly how far cause my first time has been a long time ago and I don't know if I remember everything you still need to do. But you still got plenty to go.

But all the next areas are significantly shorter than the first mansion visit. I'd say he's about a third through. Of course that estimate doesn't account for getting stuck on a puzzle for hours later in the game. Just progressionwise it's about a third.

Gloam

Really getting beaten around by this game. Just going around the mansion collecting bits and pieces, haven't triggered any of the major story events. There's a lot of crimson heads wandering around, pretty hard to take down with the pistol. I need to get my shit together and make some tangible progress.

psychotron

These speedrun times are amazing. I've been playing for hours, being very careful to conserve ammo and avoid enemies, and I only have one death mask, haven't left the mansion, and have yet to encounter
Yawn
at all. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though, just like I did the original RE.

SeanR1221

Started up as Chris, couldn't find an item box so I couldn't pick up any ammo or herbs and died lol.

What are the meanings of the tree difficulties?

Skullface

These speedrun times are amazing. I've been playing for hours, being very careful to conserve ammo and avoid enemies, and I only have one death mask, haven't left the mansion, and have yet to encounter
Yawn
at all. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though, just like I did the original RE.

Are you me? The only difference is that I've been killing enemies where ever I encounter them and burning zombies whenever possible. I've only had two zombie's return as crimson heads so far.
I just had the 4 zombies that busted through the east wing of the first floor. The same stretch of corridor where you get the real shotgun
. Fucking dog ripped my throat when I went back outside a second time for more kerosene to burn those bastards. I shudder at the thought of
4 crimson heads in the same room

Started up as Chris, couldn't find an item box so I couldn't pick up any ammo or herbs and died lol.

What are the meanings of the tree difficulties?

Mountain Climbing=Normal
Hike=Easy
Casual Stroll=Very easy

TFW when I chose easy thinking it was normal and am still having hard time ;_;

Nemesis_

Really that much? He hasn't even
left the mansion
yet.

He still has
garden - shack - mansion revisit - mines - labs to go iirc....

My problem is that I've recently finished the game completely so I'm thinking in terms of my time and not really normal time. The final area, for example, can be cleared in under half an hour.

I'd probably say 25% of the game is done when you leave the mansion. Although I do feel like the Mansion is the hardest part of the game too which is why I upped that % a little bit.

SkylineRKR

The death masks are the new Crests. In the original game I pretty much considered this to be the halfway point. In REmake its probably a third.

strafer

How many in this thread is it the first time playing? Never even realized there was this huge segment of people that never played the game...but i guess it makes sense being only on the gamecube and wii. Reading all the posts is entertaining.

First time playing the first game. I played RE3 but not 2.

Bumhead

Banned
Knife only and Real survivor have me worried. D:

I'm doing a knife only run at the moment on Very Easy.

It's pretty pedestrian for the most part. I'm still in the mansion, and the only thing to give me any trouble so far was the balcony dog. Chris can take about 4 bites on this mode before even dropping to red caution, and given the abundence of health items and the lack of zombies you should be OK. Some of them drop in as few as 2 knife swipes too.

Only bits of this knife run I'm not looking forward to are the Crimson Head Elder and the Tyrant. I figure Black Tiger and Yawn should be reasonably easy to beat and you can breeze past most of the hunters in the game without even attacking them.

Only bits of this knife run I'm not looking forward to are the Crimson Head Elder and the Tyrant. I figure Black Tiger and Yawn should be reasonably easy to beat and you can breeze past most of the hunters in the game without even attacking them.

I'm planning on getting the bad ending so I'll just have to deal with him in the lab.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Guys. Is a good strategy to always keep one inventory slot free in case you have to juggle items in a single room?

Does anyone know how to get to
Courtyard B2? Basically after escaping from Lisa in the mines and then later defeating her with Barry, I forgot where the ladder leads up to that is in her room down in the mines.

Uzzy

I played on the hike setting, which is apparently easy mode? Not a time to be proud of at all, but this was my first time ever playing the game. So there's that. Really enjoyed it, though I found the inventory to be a bit of an annoyance. I've no problem with limiting how many weapons and health items and how much ammo you can carry around, but doing that at the same time as limiting how many keys and plot items you can carry was a pain.

Think I'll start a Jill playthrough now and see if I can cut down that playtime now that I have a better idea of what to carry with me.

Curufinwe

It's not that bad. It makes moving around a little more intuitive and it actually makes transitions from one camera angle to the next harder to deal with. It won't make dodging zombies in narrow hallways any easier.

I ended up turning and running right into a boulder because when the camera angle flipped 180 I did the same with the left stick.

I ended up turning and running right into a boulder because when the camera angle flipped 180 I did the same with the left stick.
Tip for the second boulder:

after using the hexagonal crank three times as soon as you leave the inventory menu the cinematic for the second boulder starts.
Now just hold Square+Up to evade it (original controls type b).

(X+Up if you have the Japanese version)

Finally started playing this, going to kill my first boss. It's incredible how timeless this game remains. I love how everything clicks back into place as I progress.

First boss / NPC question:
playing as Jill, I've saved Richard and I remember letting him take care of the boss so as to save ammo. Is there any downside to doing this? IIRC Richard always dies one way or the other, doesn't he?

Also, while we're going down memory lane, this was my first exposure to the original game. That trailer was on the Japanese disc to SF Zero on PS1:
http://youtu.be/w-YAFW5W-uY
In retrospect, I'm kind of amazed this somehow got me to import the game day one. That is so out of tone.

Finally started playing this, going to kill my first boss. It's incredible how timeless this game remains. I love how everything clicks back into place as I progress.

First boss / NPC question:
playing as Jill, I've saved Richard and I remember letting him take care of the boss so as to save ammo. Is there any downside to doing this? IIRC Richard always dies one way or the other, doesn't he?

Also, while we're going down memory lane, this was my first exposure to the original game. That trailer was on the Japanese disc to SF Zero on PS1:
http://youtu.be/w-YAFW5W-uY
In retrospect, I'm kind of amazed this somehow got me to import the game day one. That is so out of tone.

Oh my god. That trailer is incredible. Hahahahaha. I love the part where he's using the flamethrower with nothing in the room and just spinning in a circle. The music is golden too.

This is my first playthrough of the game, so it was pretty cool to recognize a lot of those locations in the trailer.

Oh my god. That trailer is incredible. Hahahahaha. I love the part where he's using the flamethrower with nothing in the room and just spinning in a circle. The music is golden too.

That was actually the ending theme in the original japanese release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC1L37O9slo

They also used a different vocal song for the cast opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYu-LOXAWQ

All later japanese releases (Saturn, Director's Cut, PC, DS) used the same instrumental songs as the international versions.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just finished Jills story on normal, I took my time and enjoyed it, now on to Chris
Love this game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sweet. Planning on getting platinum for this. Knife only and Real survivor have me worried. D:

Yeah, knife is about the only one that I'm truly worried about. Mostly because I have never really done a knife run before.

Skullface

Is there any method to pushing monsters off of you? Is there a button you're supposed to mash, or is it all bullshit like down+b in pokemon?

Top Bottom