• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil HD Remaster |OT| Rediscover the evil.

invisible mode knife run is kicking my ass :( I cant beat plant 42. Cant even see the tentacles :(. I mean you get an idea but cant aim to hit them when they are dropping acid. any tips? chris run btw.

invisible mode knife run is kicking my ass :( I cant beat plant 42. Cant even see the tentacles :(. any tips? chris run btw.
You can time it so that the knife hits a tentacle just before it slaps you. Just listen for that whip sound, and when they stop trying to hit you (meaning the melee vines are dead), just swing wildly all over the balcony and hopefully you get them all.
Good luck!

I completed the PS1 version several times (most recently, just before Christmas on my Vita), but I only played an hour of the Gamecube version back in 2002.

Finally beat it yesterday, and started a Chris playthrough straight after. Brilliant game.
Would you recommend playing them back to back? Never played REmake and I only played RE1 back in 96. Would like to see the differences. I'm afraid playing REmake first will spoil me. But I don't want to wait, either.

This game really fucking makes it evident how game quality has dropped since the early 00s. What an amazing game that even today is a far more polished and immersive game than anything on the market.

I got to that first save room under the stairs and not gonna lie when the music kicked in I got such a nostalgia bomb I almost started crying. Phenomenal.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So after starting the chris playthrough, i tried the alternate controls holy mother of gamebreaking mechanics.

It's not that bad. It makes moving around a little more intuitive and it actually makes transitions from one camera angle to the next harder to deal with. It won't make dodging zombies in narrow hallways any easier.

Okay, so looking online I read that crimson heads stay dead when you kill them and you don't have to burn em like you would with regular zombies to keep them from becoming crimson heads.

I proceeded to kill my first one, got the trophy for doing it, stood around for a few minutes because I was talking to my wife about the crimson head (she is a much bigger RE fan than I, and we talk a lot about the games when we play) then suddenly the crimson head got back up and started running around.

I got the fuck out of dodge, and when I reentered the room a little later, the crimson head was gone. Was this a bug, or do crimson heads regularly come back to life even after you kill them? I haven't seen anything from google searches to indicate that this is normal, but I wanna know what the deal is.

frontovik

Banned
You can incapacitate them for several seconds if you shoot them with your sidearm, but they will get back up for another go.

The best way to ensure they don't get back up is to blow their head off with a shotgun or put enough rounds into them that they bleed on the ground. That's the visual cue that they're actually dead.

edit: Your situation sounds like a glitch though. If it wasn't a bug, then the crimson head would've remained in the same room.

You can incapacitate them for several seconds if you shoot them with your sidearm, but they will get back up for another go.

The best way to ensure they don't get back up is to blow their head off with a shotgun or put enough rounds into them that they bleed on the ground. That's the visual cue that they're actually dead.

edit: Your situation sounds like a glitch though. If it wasn't a bug, then the crimson head would've remained in the same room.

Yeah, he was bleeding. The thing was all the way dead. Multiple shotgun blasts and even after the bleeding I hit it with my knife to check, and it was totally dead. Then after several minutes it got back up. It was between Chris and the camera, so it just popped up in to my view out of nowhere. Scared the shit out of me.

edit: Yeah, that was my thought as well. But I couldn't find any thing online about anyone else experiencing that particular glitch, so I wasn't sure.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Are you sure there wasn't another crimson head in the room?

Otherwise I dunno what could have happened there. Actually, can they open doors? I don't think I've seen them do that before.

How many in this thread is it the first time playing? Never even realized there was this huge segment of people that never played the game...but i guess it makes sense being only on the gamecube and wii. Reading all the posts is entertaining.

I beat the original Playstation version a bunch of times years ago. This is my first time messing with REmake and I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. I'm terrible at it but that's my fault for playing it on the hardest (Normal, I suppose) difficulty. I really enjoy games that don't let up and hold your hand. Was big into Everquest back in the day so I want more hardcore experiences like that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game really fucking makes it evident how game quality has dropped since the early 00s. What an amazing game that even today is a far more polished and immersive game than anything on the market.

I got to that first save room under the stairs and not gonna lie when the music kicked in I got such a nostalgia bomb I almost started crying. Phenomenal.

Do not underestimate the Resident Evil save room music TM. Dont do it, it will smack you silly with nostalgia. It is indeed so very good, so very very good.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What? Why the hell did they change that. :|

It was never a 100% guaranteed decapitation in the GC version. I don't think they changed anything gameplay-wise from the GC version except for adding alternate controls and patching Jill's rocket launcher glitch.

Lum1n3s

I tried so hard to play this game... with the new controls. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't... I tried and tried and every time I would move into the next screen it got me all confused on which way to press the analog stick to move. So I switched back to classic and said to myself "much better!" Am I in the minority of preferring the classic controls to the new ones? #Tankcontrolsrock

Coda

I tried so hard to play this game... with the new controls. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't... I tried and tried and every time I would move into the next screen it got me all confused on which way to press the analog stick to move. So I switched back to classic and said to myself "much better!" Am I in the minority of preferring the classic controls to the new ones? #Tankcontrolsrock

The D-pad allows for much better control and accuracy. You'll thank me later.

Skullface

Yes they can. Regular zombies too.
Wait, what? That can't be! I thought zombies couldn't move between loading points. Even in the original, I don't think they could even climb stairs.

On a side note, I love how this game let's you pass through a given area multiple times with no threat. Then, once you're super confident that you're safe in that area, boom. Dogs or zombies bust through, fucking up your next objection.

Lum1n3s

The D-pad allows for much better control and accuracy. You'll thank me later.

Oh I put analog for classic controller settings lol, sorry I meant the d-pad, the d-pad is so much better with the tank controls. In terms of the new controls I used the analog and d-pad and that didn't work. It would always trip me up.

Skullface

By Original you mean the PSX or the GC? Beacuse that was in the GC version.

Sorry, I meant PSX. I knew they could climb stairs in the REmake, but they can open doors too? Fuck. This is why I can only play this game for 1-2 hours a day max. Or if I die 20 minutes into the game, that's it for the day lol.

Edit:
I know about the scripted zombie door opening in the basement.

Sorry, I meant PSX. I knew they could climb stairs in the REmake, but they can open doors too? Fuck. This is why I can only play this game for 1-2 hours a day max. Or if I die 20 minutes into the game, that's it for the day lol.

Edit:
I know about the scripted zombie door opening in the basement.

In several places. It's scripted but still surprising.

How far am I from the end? Don't want to look up a walkthrough.

Killed Yawn the second time, went down into the hole where George Trevor's grave was that reveal a passage with a spider that killed me. I have the Eagle and Wolf medals.

frontovik

Banned

Killed Yawn the second time, went down into the hole where George Trevor's grave was that reveal a passage with a spider that killed me. I have the Eagle and Wolf medals.

You're 70% through the game at this point.

Not exactly a completion screen to be proud of, but since a bunch of people are showing theirs, might as well share mine ^_^

67591501B1083CBCC150109A1D01481034FEEA17

In several places. It's scripted but still surprising.
From playing the game several times through over the past week, they happen in these areas if you leave zombies alive:
The first floor bathroom next to the balcony where you get the green chemicals for the plant - the zombie will bust out of the door the next time you walk by it.
The hallway that connects the above two rooms. When you grab the chemical and run towards the save room, zombies will crash through the window. The next time you enter the hallway you use the Emblem key in, one of those zombies will move in.
The hallway that leads to the tiger statue room. After you use the chemical, zombies once again crash through the window and can move to the hallway where you meet the very first zombie in the game.
After you grab the death mask from the first Yawn encounter, when you enter the hallway Richard was in, a zombie will be there instead. If you leave it alive, it will follow you into the next hallway.
And lastly, the balcony on the opposite side of the mansion is an anomaly: a zombie comes out of it some time after you get the Sword key, even if there's nothing alive on the balcony. There are only dogs on that balcony. Like I said: an anomaly.

And the original one in the kitchen of course.

There could be more spots in the
lab
(killed every zombie so I can't say for sure) but I doubt it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So, not sure where I should be going.

Got the Second Key, and have unlocked all the doors I found....have to be missing one though. I tried to
bring the snake bite victim the serum, but was too late, and I got the death mask from the room with the jewelry lighted glass paintings.
Where should I go next?

Got the Second Key, and have unlocked all the doors I found....have to be missing one though. I tried to
bring the snake bite victim the serum, but was too late, and I got the death mask from the room with the jewelry lighted glass paintings.
Where should I go next?
The
death masks
are located:
Two on the
second floor, one in the giant snake room and one in the knight puzzle room very close to it
One in the
room mentioned above
And one
in the room on the first floor in the room where you use the herbicide

Make sure you got them!

Manu

Where should I go next?

Go back to where Richard died, there's a door in there you need to go through. Well, two of them actually, but you can only enter one right now.

Just got the plat on PS4. Some brief thoughts from a first time player (never played any RE before RE4)

-Outstanding atmosphere and level design

-...except in the Mines. Good god, what were they thinking with level? Linear as hell level design and no atmosphere to speak of. I still can't believe how terrible this area is.

-Some of the puzzles are tedious. I hate it when it takes a long time to physically solve a puzzle after mentally solving it. The closing wall statue puzzle next to the study and rotating statue puzzle in the Mines can fuck off. So boring and tedious. And while not a puzzle, the same goes for those three fucking boxes in the Aqua Ring.

-Combat feels haphazard. Look, I understand that a key tenet of this game is player disempowerment, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean my guns have to behave more or less randomly. For any given handgun shot, the enemy's head might pop, they might fall down, or nothing may happen. There's no telling if it'll take 4 shots to knock them down or 8. The shotgun is pretty consistent against regular zombies, though it seems random against hunters and crimson heads with regards to knockdowns. Carefully managing resources is fun, but playing the lottery every time I fire my gun isn't.

-Fucking door animations. If I was reviewing this game, that would be a whole point off right there.

Reading the above, my opinion on the game seems pretty negative, but I really loved it in the end (enough for five playthroughs at least). As stated, the atmosphere and level design are absolutely outstanding. Anything I didn't mention is probably good-to-great. Some of these issues just really got to me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Go back to where Richard died, there's a door in there you need to go through. Well, two of them actually, but you can only enter one right now.

Thank you. I now have the third key, however I also still have the armor key...

Guessing I forgot to open a door or two? But where?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just got the plat on PS4. Some brief thoughts from a first time player (never played any RE before RE4)

-Outstanding atmosphere and level design

-...except in the Mines. Good god, what were they thinking with level? Linear as hell level design and no atmosphere to speak of. I still can't believe how terrible this area is.

-Some of the puzzles are tedious. I hate it when it takes a long time to physically solve a puzzle after mentally solving it. The closing wall statue puzzle next to the study and rotating statue puzzle in the Mines can fuck off. So boring and tedious. And while not a puzzle, the same goes for those three fucking boxes in the Aqua Ring.

-Combat feels haphazard. Look, I understand that a key tenet of this game is player disempowerment, and that's fine, but it doesn't mean my guns have to behave more or less randomly. For any given handgun shot, the enemy's head might pop, they might fall down, or nothing may happen. There's no telling if it'll take 4 shots to knock them down or 8. The shotgun is pretty consistent against regular zombies, though it seems random against hunters and crimson heads with regards to knockdowns. Carefully managing resources is fun, but playing the lottery every time I fire my gun isn't.

-Fucking door animations. If I was reviewing this game, that would be a whole point off right there.

Reading the above, my opinion on the game seems pretty negative, but I really loved it in the end (enough for five playthroughs at least). As stated, the atmosphere and level design are absolutely outstanding. Anything I didn't mention is probably good-to-great. Some of these issues just really got to me.
I'd just like to add that shotguns were pretty consistent for me against hunters. Just gotta be sure to fire when enemies are near.

Nemesis_

You're probably 70% through

edit Oh the mobile site fucked up, talk about late.

Top Bottom